What exactly did The White Stripes and Foo Fighters do to kill rock music?

what exactly did The White Stripes and Foo Fighters do to kill rock music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_PAd41W-o4g
youtube.com/watch?v=H7h3bd2YSWs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamodernism
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Really loaded quesiton. All the Foo Fighters are guilty of is making incredibly safe over-produced buttrock. They haven't done anything significant enough to warrant being accused of killing rock music on their own.

Neither did anything other than be completely over rated and derivative as fuck.

Sure they're loud but their music is mediocre and lacking stage presence.

If people watched prime The Who or Cream they'd get a taste of what rock should be.

If anything bands like them kept rock a little popular for a while before it died completely (in the mainstream, of course)

What exactly killed rock then?

Paper

Dough

>what exactly did The White Stripes and Foo Fighters do to kill rock music?
They gave them exactly what they wanted, and nothing more.

Kurt Cobains alternative rock beatles formula that hasn't changed since he dies. Everyone just copies the same generic early 90s sound, either that or hair metal.

It'll come back though, don't you worry, true believers.

white guilt

the fans

satanic trips of heresy

Underrated

Bedroom musicians with their computers and pop radio moving away from guitars

name a rock band who isnt derivative

Radiohead

numales

>trips
>filename

lurk more newfag

Lack of innovation
Parody of itself
Dadrock fags and indie fags

Post grunge and NME hyping mediocre bands

this

>tfw flaming lips released a "psychedelic/experimental" ablum comprised of shitty synth sounds, boring hip hop beats, and cheesy vocals

This what? That user is a faggot and so are you. Flaming Lips are fucking great so fuck off.

flaming lips are great but you can't deny their lacking in innovation

i should've made my post more clear but i'm saying most rock bands now aren't doing anything other than going back to indie shit or dad rock stuff

*they're
im retarded

'''indie'''

>lacking in innovation
A four-disc album meant to be played all at the same time isn't innovative?

I'm saying now not in 1997

Nice backpedaling

A 24-hour rock song isn't innovative?

>backpedaling
>"psychedelic/experimental"
>shitty synth sounds
>boring hip hop beats
>cheesy vocals

>"psychedelic/experimental"
How is it not experimental?

mu is so far gone now. why are 15 year olds incapable of common sense

it's nothing new

No I asked how it wasn't experimental, not how it wasn't innovative.

Do you know the difference, or are you 14?

it focused too much on image rather than innovation

the concept of a "rockstar" became ingrained in pop culture and this stifled rock, while other genres continue to push boundaries

Why aren't you?

The Black Keys ruined it

As someone who's been to a white stripes show.

It was very, very present.
Behind Death Grips it was the 2nd Loudest most in your chest sound I've ever witnessed live.

I'm not even a huge white stripes guy Im just saying.

>mah innovation!
Who cares? That's not what rock is about. rock is about a more primal expression of emotion. Innovation is more an intellectual pursuit and is more akin to electronic music.

why not both?

Rock seems like it's all been done, you have to go into sub genres to be innovative

Well you can, but then you need to accept it becomes less commercial, and you shouldn't go looking for it in the mainstream.
>mah rock is dead because it's not mainstream!

See

>The Who
My nigga

well yeah, and there isn't anything wrong with that either.

btw i don't agree that rock is dead

rock ded

trap music now

Rock is not about anything except for doing your own thing however ridiculous it may appear to others.

>doing your own thing
What does that even mean?

I seriously love traps too

expressing yourself and not caring of the reception?

you don't get rock then, sorry.

kek

it means you pretend to not give a shit about what others think so you can deflect actual criticism

Read: primal expression of emotion

i see what you mean

we can agree on this

>muh EMOTION

yeah sorry, emotion is cool and everything, but for a genre to stay alive there has to be actual innovation as several people have already pointed out.

>>muh EMOTION
Except that's the point of all music

>average trap fan

not really

also you can have both

King Crimson

>not really
Example?

a lot of avant-garde music was made with the intent of pushing the boundaries of what can be done with instruments and composition and sound in general, rather than trying to be emotional

>pushing the boundaries of what can be done with instruments
Why? Why would the artists do this?

rock music sucks now
because majority of these kids can't play guitar worth a shit
can't remember hearing a good riff in the last decade

youtube.com/watch?v=_PAd41W-o4g
make guitar music good again pls

>Parody of itself
Holy shit, this.
The whole ironic self-parodying postmodern shtick has, in my opinion, completely ruined culture today because everybody is too fucking afraid to actually speak their mind so they just mask everything in irony. Nobody wants to actually innovate anymore.

>Nobody wants to actually innovate anymore.
See

postmodern has died already

>because everybody is too fucking afraid to actually speak their mind so they just mask everything in irony. Nobody wants to actually innovate anymore.
wrong
youtube.com/watch?v=H7h3bd2YSWs

>postmodern has died already
According to my gender studies class, it hasn't.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamodernism

I belief the term "indie" killed it, especially slapping the indie term on anything 2005-2012 (i.e indie rock, indie folk, indie pop etc.)

Indie was supposed to be 'independent' as in not part of a label but these faggots turn it into a genre which till this day still triggers the hell out of my anus.

All this bullshit like post-colonial studies, gender studies, X studies etc. can be easily BTFO'd by a bunch of honest, dedicated intelligent professors in a matter of weeks.

This. Basically desensitizing the whole rock’n roll persona. This actually makes new way for the new image of how a “rock” band should look in terms of style and musicality. Pitchfork (and other music journalism outlets) catering for these new type of music with the propagation of “nu-males” makes it worse/fast.

Yeah, I could see back in the 2000s the Arctic Monkeys were indie, but now it's just trashy Marlbro Red rock.

I actually agree. Indie rock played by skinny 20-something Bohemians took the testosterone and edginess out of rock, which had been an aspect of rock since its earliest days

Rock music became a really safe genre. I don't just mean radio friendly stuff, but shoegaze, indie etc. Even the experimental bands have kinda stayed in a rut. Can you really say A Moon Shaped Pool is groundbreaking, for example. It's good but the sound has been done before. People have this idea of what rock music should sound like and nobody wants to deviate from it really. For some weird reason music fans and the public don't seem to want to call the genre out for it. Everyone seems content with just accepting it or complaining but still listening. Hell I'm guilty of the latter though. Rock needs a band to come in and tear shit up. But, nobody seems to want to do it.

because it's interesting and exciting

not everyone shits themselves over three chords and singing about love

>rock was always masculine and played by buff masculine guys

The Strokes killed rock music.

synths and online stream listeners

Rock got its wish and died before it got old.

you take that back

This!

> prog isn't masculine

Thank God I had the opportunity to see the Descendents live here in São Paulo... damn... new bands are such a piece of shit

modern rock (read: alternative and indie rock) is great exactly because it doesn't have "testosterone and edginess of rock, which had been an aspect of rock since its earliest days"

I'm not saying modern rock is bad, I'm saying it fell out of favor and relevance because it lost that edginess

> look! nu-males made underground music at the same time rock was big!
> thus, rock was never masculine

>any of the bands listed
>underground
You're a special kind of retard, aren't you?

Also, before I forget:

Foo Fighters and The White Stripes killed rock n roll because they created such easily copied and marketable templates for every rock band to follow if they wanted to become popular and the market became over saturated.
However, if anything, the bands that came after like The Black Keys and Cage the Elephant have done more damage to rock

Prog rock during the 70s was looks at pretty much the same way by the old school rock n rollers as indie rock is today.
Brainy music with no balls or soul.

>exciting
That is an emotion.

Nice try though