RIP Rock Music

Well guys, looks like it's official

>“The sadness for me is that rock has reached a dead end,” he said, before angering legions of dad-rockers even more by going over to their least favorite genre. “The only people saying things that matter are the rappers and most pop is meaningless and forgettable.”

MADMAN
A
D
M
A
N

He's kind of right desu
Is Daltrey /ourguy/?

WTF I LOVE RAP NOW?

>The only people saying things that matter are the rappers

Oh look, another one

literally who

Rock just spent its energy, just like many other genres before it: classical, jazz, soul, blues, etc. Everything that could be done in rock has been done already.

>"What a drag it is getting old!"
>gets old anyways
Nah, he's a hypocrite

yes

The Who?!

kek

>implying pop and rap aren't just the same thing over and over again

rock never dies always remember that

I will never understand how Gambino gets panned as "cheesy" or whatever and this faggot's getting popular

Are we just gonna ignore the fact The Who and RHCP are shit?

Chili Peppers maybe, but the Who are probably the greatest classic rock band of all time. I would put them ahead of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones easily.

they're all at it

>The Who are shit?

>Implying classic rock is good

fuck off

>writing off whole genres
literally fag-tier

>Literally who?
>Looks him up
oH SHIT! I MEMED!

>the who are shit

Are there any good music news sites anymore? I used to this CoS was good, but then they started posting political shit, and fucking super bowl commercials for some reason?

Any suggestions?

listen to Who's Next and Tommy

I don't get why dad-rockstars say this all the time. Rocks gotten a lot less angry and political, and rock musicians aren't really "saying things" as much as they used to, but that just means its less about the "rock star" image and more about the music, which is definitely a good thing.

Bob Dylan was never proper rock and roll
get out

Ha, no.

>not getting the joke
a moment of silence for user

>not Quadrophenia and Sell Out

You have 10 seconds to name a rock band from the last 25 years that is both critically acclaimed and culturally relevant. Please note that commercial success is not synonymous with cultural relevance.

Impossible Mode: No Nirvana.

Oh wait, you can't.

R.I.P Rock

Please note:
>The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Queens of the Stone Age, The Mars Volta, Franz Ferdinand, The Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Bloc Party, The Libertines, Blur, Pulp, Suede, and Interpol are not culturally relevant, as they have had no real cultural impact. You're not going to hear their music being played at a high school dance or have a large number of normies sharing them on Facebook or in the future remembering them the way you would a contemporary artist who actually has made a cultural impact (e.g. Beyonce, Kendrick, Kanye, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber)
>Jack White is not a culturally relevant artist. Seven Nation Army may be a culturally relevant track but having only one culturally relevant track indicates a lack of longevity and thus a lack of cultural relevance as artists.
>Weezer only have one critically acclaimed album and it came out 23 years ago.
>Muse, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Tool, Kings of Leon, The 1975, Alt-J, The Black Keys, Pearl Jam, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Blink-182, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Mumford & Sons, and Red Hot Chili Peppers are not critically acclaimed.
>The Flaming Lips, Sufjan Stevens, Vampire Weekend, Tame Impala, The National, The Hold Steady, Dinosaur Jr, Deerhunter, Mac DeMarco, Porcupine Tree, Beach House, Ween, Titus Andronicus, Bon Iver, Pixies, Spoon, Pavement and Modest Mouse are far too niche to be considered culturally relevant. This is also true for all metal.
>R.E.M., Bruce Springsteen, and U2 have not been critically acclaimed in the last 25 years.
>LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead and Arcade Fire are not rock bands

Yeah because he's probably plugged in to music these days

Rock is dead. Sellout 'Indie' killed it. No one knows where to go from here. We've all shrunken back into a days of yore obsession with obscure things thinking that's where the good times were and the good tunes. the 'rock' became soft rock pop bands. smooth rock radio for old people who listened to Built to Spill and Pavement. The rock station that is still rock has to play old stuff for anything good or original (for its time) and the new stuff they play seems to be all of these new metal bands that sprung up out of some kind of metal that no one ever liked anyway and the singers just put women on a pedestal in their lyrics and it seems pathetic as fuck. Rock is dead right now.

Unfortunatly ol' Roger hasn't reached a dead end. RnR is alive but not well. He needs to remember where he came from, the kids are alright. Die already you old pathetic fuck.
>never thought I'd feel that way
And Bob can fuck off too.

TFW you realize Nickelback is probably the greatest rock band of the last twenty years

>october 27, 2016
:yawn:

He's more than just /ourguy/

He's redpilled
>wtf I love The Who now

Nickelback isn't rock, they're just country with electric guitars and a less twangy singer.

Assuming this isn't b8....

Quadrophenia is one of the most important albums of the 70s. It merges punk rock and progressive rock, and the clash between the two genres is symbolized by the album's plot / theme of multiple personalities, mood swings, and rage.

It's the classic that doesn't get nearly as much recognition as it should.

>"Everything I'm sayin' I'm super sayin' like Goku"
Yeah, no idea at all.

To be fair that's like a cut B-side and from six fucking years ago

Chance is still acting like Chance

great yer back hows it going mr pasta rock is ded mane?

Rap is still shit tho

all music in this day and age is kinda shit tho and like

modern music seems lost really.

When did The (Literally) Who ever "say things that matter"?

>Radiohead and Arcade Fire are not rock bands
¿Que?

just accept it let rock die and shut up about it you whiney numale music nerds

>still not recognizing the ascendancy of metal
let's be clear
if you want your music to literally talk at you, then you aren't really in the arena of music anymore

i get the feeling many of these old fuckers bought into the myth that their boomer journalist friends made for them. i mean, how can you trudge through another "my generation" without convincing yourself that it's this Imporant Cultural Staple and not just a fifty year-old pop song?

>The only people saying things that matter are the rappers
Hip hop has literally never done anything of significance and will not for the foreseeable future. If you want music with meaning listen to Wagner or something.

>White people are the devil -_- xDD
>t.Rappers
Damn...

>not all four mentioned so far as well as My Generation, Live at Leeds and the Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy compilation
Are the Who /ourclassicrockband/?

We've got a live one here!

I always like to go back to Ian Hunter's words "rock & roll will never die as long as children feel the need to laugh and cry" and while I feel dad rock is pretty barren right now indie rock has taken the torch at least for me

If rock musicians would start writing songs about drugs and hos it would get relevant again.

Rappers discussing actual current social issues is a lot more meaningful than Wagner ripping off medieval legends.

There is literally no music worth taking seriously that isn't classical music.

Punk is too reactionary to be relevant in today's world.

The Strokes, Ty Segall, Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys, Arcade Fire, DIIV,

>implying pop and rap aren't just the same thing over and over again
They're not. If you pay attention there's some changes in the instrumentation from time to time. Mainly due technological advance.

Where did the myth come from that if a genre isn't producing popular, critically acclaimed music it's dead? Does this mean that ambient is dead? Is IDM dead? Is metal dead? The whole obsession with popular music is retarded. Very few genres are ever on the popular sphere at one time, and they vary from place to place. Genres die when people stop making new music it is, a genre isn't dead just because it is not popular, stop this fucking meme.

i love this pasta so much

>implying music critics have anything resembling good taste

Nothing what rappers ever said have any value whatsoever.

Wait but people have been saying hip hop died 10 years ago

all Music is dead

there is no more living music.

Name one technology from the last 10 years that changed pop and rap

It's not dead it's just chilling underground right nos

underrated

>metal not mentioned
Truly the best genre.

You see, if a genre is really dead no-one will say it's dead. For people to recogniser a genre as one that is waining that genre needs to have at least enough life in it to be culturally relevant enough to be noticeable.

He's right. You know the last time I heard a rock song with meaningful lyrics? Never, it hasn't happened in my lifetime and I was born in 1996.

Here's an updated version.

Rock/metal killed itself based on the goddamn genres. Post-Tranquilite Gothenburg Melodeath, Garage Fill post-metal, Ambient Rockabilly, etc..

Antichrist Superstar.

Serious question do you need any talent to become a music journalist?

sonic youth

nice pasta btw

>Released October 8, 1996

I was born on November 26th, my point still stands.

No it doesn't take much effort to either pander to or trigger music fans. They lap it up whatever.

Who cares what that old plep thinks

desu he has a point. even thinking back to the 90s it was a completely different world.

>rose-colored glasses etc. etc.
I love music now and feel it's probably better than ever, I am just saying that whole culture that Flea mentioned above is just dead and that kinda sucks.

>Tr00 RAWK is dead guys, I'm not out of touch
heard it a million times already

Not from the last 10 years but DAWs have changed music

>I love music now and feel it's probably better than ever

Not when Grimes exists. She's the only hope.

>Not from the last 10 years
Then try again

>The sex pistols released anti-anarchist songs
>Anarchy in the UK
>anti-anarchist
okay
>Blondie
>Punk band
>Blondie
>Punk
okay
Already took note to never read any article written by that Affinity shit

>Implying amplifiers, electric guitars, effects, sampling or synthesizers had their deepest impact in their first 10 years.

Classic rock is the reason rock is dead. Millions and millions of people only care about the classics and never listen to new stuff

aw shet

>They're not. If you pay attention there's some changes in the instrumentation from time to time. Mainly due technological advance.
Who cares about changes in the instrumentation when most of these songs have 5 chord during 5 minutes? Pop and rap are trash.

it's not classic rock's fault that new rock music isn't interesting to most people

Stop implying things that I didn't mean

the who suck, even quadrophenia

grimes > the who

N-n-no

>grimes > the who
Not even debatable

this

the killers?