John Carpenter thread

Discuss his films, music and comics.

Other urls found in this thread:

theofficialjohncarpenter.com/comics/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>comics

is there a more clear sign of a has-been than doing comics?

well, maybe voice-acting or returning to their "first love," the stage.

> it's unimportant to me so clearly it's a sign of artistic degradation

neck yourself since you can't actually talk about Carpenter

damn I always thought he was a carpenter

Post your top 10 favorite Carpenter films. My top 10:

1. Halloween (pleb choice I know but it was the first horror film I ever saw and it'll always have a special place in my heart)
2. The Thing
3. Escape from New York
4. Christine
5. They Live
6. Assault on Precinct 13
7. Big Trouble in Little China
8. The Fog
9. Starman
10. In the Mouth of Madness

Honorable mention: Prince of Darkness

Carpenter is awful. Can't get a decent performance from any actor, can't into cinematography, no mass appeal, low artistic value. None of his films ever rose above Troma tier.

I fucking love Starman. I used to quote it all the time and none of my friends ever got the references. Such an underrated film. Yes, I said film.

that's a pretty rare pasta

you know that from experience?

Carpenter does comics?

In the Mouth of Madness is his best and underrated as fuck.

>Discuss his films
Great in 70's and 80's, shit from 90's onwards

>music and comics
Lost Themes was okay, wasn't aware he made any comics

The Ward was good.

This copypasta is stale and wrong.
>Can't get a decent performance from any actor
Most of his films have good or decent performances. Jeff Bridges got an academy award nomination for his performance in Starman.
>can't into cinematography
This is completely fucking wrong. Most of Carpenter's films are pretty sleek looking. Halloween's cinematography is phenomenal.
>no mass appeal
Halloween was a box office giant and is still immensely popular. The Fog and Escape from New York weren't as huge as Halloween but both of them made tons of money. Christine, Prince of Darkness and They Live weren't big box office hits but they made money.
>no mass appeal, low artistic value.
Whoever originally wrote this must've been baiting. First he bitched that Carpenter doesn't appeal to plebs and then he bitched that Carpenter isn't artsy enough. You can't have it both ways.

>shit from 90's onwards
In the Mouth of Madness and Body Bags are pretty good.

>You can't have it both ways.

Yeah you can. It's called John Carpenter.

His movies are fun to watch, but are still technically magnificent.

Yup.

theofficialjohncarpenter.com/comics/

Cigarette Burns is really underrated also.

What I meant is, you can't say "NOT MAINSTREAM ENOUGH" and then say "NOT ARTSY ENOUGH". Those complaints contradict each other.

No, they really don't.

Why are you defending some shitty copypasta?

I'm opposing your binary thinking, bitch.

Whatever, cunt.

>The Ward was good.
[citation needed]

Not him, The Ward was one of the better 2000's horror movies. It was like American Horror Story season 2 but good.

Has anyone on here ever seen Memoirs of an Invisible Man? Is it as terrible as it looks?

>implying

Well I might be in minority here, but I don't watch Carpenter for horror. In fact pure horror as a genre is retarded, and makes you laugh, it's well made thrillers that make you tense instead.

I love Carpenter's horror movies but you're definitely not alone in thinking his action movies and thrillers are his best work. My brother's top 3 favorite Carpenter movies are Escape from New York, Big Trouble in Little China and They Live.

It's not his strongest movies by far, but it's bretty good. It harkens back to his early movies, very low budget with pretty cool, low key and slow burning horror , with a nice twist and interesting period setting to spice the story up. Plus the cast consists of qt.pies.

I love the thing and christine personally, but they're quite atypical horror movies. Prince of darkness and in the mouth of madness I couldn't give a fuck about. Escape from NY, they live, big trouble, assault of precinct 13 are all fooking classics m8. Still haven't seen darkstar or starman.

What's his best Soundtrack and why is it The Fog?