Ask a mechanic anything

Ask a mechanic anything

>all questions asked will be answered in the mass. so a huge post will indicate that it is me usually. Also I will get to you eventually.
>DO NOT TAKE WHAT I SAY A GOSPEL! Some issues may have more than one solution

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uBgh7WCgb6M
youtube.com/watch?v=fgp6NvueFQE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I also don't do this often. so let the questions roll.

can i do a sparkys job myself, simple shit, winch 240v converter hard wire a compressor, extra outlets etc.
(2016 SR Hilux)

also give me a sentence to tell my mate why he should send his ute in for a proper service not just change his own oil every now and then

what's a good way to start learning about cars, inside and out? i bought my first car a few months ago and so far i can only do basic work like brakes and oil change

Accidentally break something

People do stuff like that all the time. There may be roadblocks, but i don't see why not. This assumes, you have a decent knowledge about this stuff and some heavier duty tools, in some cases. Also, your friend does have some of the right idea. if he wants oil done, then he can do it. however, like trucks, they need to be greased, have the diffs (and sometimes transfer case) serviced, trans serviced, coolant swapped, etc so he should defiantly take it to a dealer to have it figured out. Dealers are pretty good with identifying shitty parts
This is hard to say. I went to school for 2 years and it was HARD. LOTS of stuff was tought. youtube is a good source, but not everyone is right.
Yea, no. The worst time to be an "internet mechanic" is when something breaks. you fix the broken shit, like a wheel bearing, but now the camber and toe is fucked.

Master tech here as well. Will lurk and assist if needed. These threads can get out of hand at times

You bet your sweet asshole they do. Who do you work for? OP here working for Chevy

Manual truck is bucking at certain Rpms. Throttle position sensor? I can do 35 in 3rd but not less than, 25 in 2nd but not less than, 45 in 4th but not less than, 55 in 5th but not less than.

Every time I make toast, every single fucking time I go to spread the butter on it and it rips the bread up. I've tried toasting it darker but at some point it gets more burnt than anything. Do you have this problem and how do you get around it?

YM&M (year make and model)?
I had this with me too. I replace the butter bearings usually.

Buy the ase study guides. They are a great jump point. Full set will run you around 200. Start with g1 (light maintenance and repair) then a4 and a5 (steering/suspension, brakes) then a6 and 7 (electrical and ac) then a1 (engine repair) finish off with 2,3,8 auto and manual transaxle and engine performance

Turning the front wheel, it goes too far forward and backwards in the wheel-well. Control arm or tie-rod?

Not a tie rod. Those control the steering itself and when they go bad, they feel loose left and right only when in the air. Maybe control arm...not sure. I have seen struts do that when they are loose or going out.
Why did i not think of that

Pepboys. I live in a seasonal town and the dealers die for 4 months out of the year

I'm planing to get a 2013 ram 5.7 liter v8 hemi, what mods would you suggest to boost it up to about 450hp.

I'm thinking so far a aftermarket performance exaughst, a cold air intake, and im going to get the engine tuned and higher brand parts put in.

Lots more variety than I get.

Why are American car producers so far behind the rest of the world in all categories when back in the 60's and early 70's they were the shit.

Are your tires stock? If you went up in size....no more fit

Behind? Have you seen the new corvette or ford gt?

How do you tune a dual carb on a 59 jaguar?

which is better for high rpm and torque applications? I or H beam rods?

1997 dodge dakota. My truck revs up like a garbage truck at all times. Any ind8cation of wtf is up with that?

94 Nissan d21

How do you fix a '93 Toyoa truck that had went 60 mph into a monument statue
>>the engine came back and cracked my left femur in half lol

Why fix something that wasn't broken. The market changed dramatically the past 20 years, the euros and Asians had to make the best shit ever to compete, now the domestics have to do the same

They suck and are way overpriced. Only Americans buy that shit.

cai isnt really going to make a difference

youtube.com/watch?v=uBgh7WCgb6M

Should I stick with the 350 or go with a supercharged 305 motor?

not op, but probably with a carb balancer kit

Always start with IHE. Intake, headers, exhaust. Past that you need to look into spending some real cash. Supercharger or nos. A tune if a waste of cash unless you make major upgrades.

And by intake I mean an intake, not the filter on a fucking tube.

that motherfucker stands up to the Dino...what happened car designers? Most exotics look like shit and all the muscle cars just have no new design.

I have an 86 corolla and i want to delete my distributor and use coil packs cause the ignition cables get in the way of the turbo...is it possible?

Take it to a professions

Exhaust systems dont increase HP. It helps the engine relieve exhaust and nothing more. Plus, too large of one can reduce back pressure and cause rough idle like EGR on at idle. Supercharger, but you will need new heads and gaskets probably because under boost, the compression ratio goes way up and you could blow your engine up. It is really up to you.
I do actually own a 69 stingray. however, at 76,000 miles, it needed a rebuild. They dropped like flys because of a variety of reasons. these new cars are way more reliable. But VW, yes, does have its merits, but they are impossible to work on.
IKR I drive those at work. they are amazing.
That i do not know. Dual carbs are already hard enough to deal with when tuning, but on an old engine, idk.
No idea. I will say, get one that will resist twisting better. torque will twist the car/truck a tiny bit.
Like how?
You don't. Sounds fucked. frame is probs bent to shit.
Damn right
Something supercharged is usually ready for more tuning conditions

Btw i also have a fully programmable ecu

with an ecu it can be done but not worth it

move the turbo

probably not without an ecu, which would require extensive work, i suggest you get longer ignition cables and reroute them, or move the turbo if possible

Call pick n pull or (insert local junkyard here )

If i supercharge would i need to re in force shit?

I guess i mispoke. Longboard headers DO increase HP, but past that, is basically a shit-shoot

98 Pontiac TA, spark plug came out of the aluminum block. Threads are shit, Tried a diffrent plug but no purchase on thread. Can it be tapped without removing engine or is it fucked

Yes but you will get metal shavings in the block so be careful

if you can pull the head, that would be best

what ratchet do you use most? not which size

What would you recommend for repairing?

I am proud of this thread.

I wouldn't think so for a 450hp ram but adding rigidity to the frame won't hurt

the cr doesn't increase with boost, for example if you have a compression ratio of 10:1 and are running N/A, you will see a cylinder pressure of around 147 psi (cr * atmospheric pressure). if you're running a boost at 15psi, you will be seeing 297 psi, ((boost pressure + atmospheric pressure) * cr). but you are correct in saying that these extreme pressures can cause you to blow your engine.

I got a 92 silverado and I hit the brakes the other day, pedal went right to the floor but I crawled underneath while someone hit the breaks. And no fluid was leaking but my brake light is on in my dash. Do you think it's the brake booster? The mastercylinder is still full too btw

They all went to GM :)
.... that i dont know. my gut says no. Or at least don't do it. The distributor is meshed with the crankshaft which makes the timing. removing that and putting in coils could cause timing issues if there is a misfire. Just my thought. not entirely sure. Even with the ECU idk. Sounds more convincing actually...
Not exactly. Some boosting conditions dont need it. It will produce more torque so take note of how much the truck feels like it is twisting when accelerating. That could usually be an indication.
Maybe. If not much aluminum was removed, then maybe it can be tapped (be careful not to get any into the cylinder). Otherwise, you need a new cylinder head and head gasket.
My snap on F80. best thing ever. perfect size and 0 i mean 0 problems.
Thank you.

Not op. I have a 3/8 mac ratchet that is my go to. Long handle, Flex head. 72 teeth so I can beat it up and not break it.

jag what? 59?
those are webers, right?

It's hard to describe (the sound) it's like a whooshing sound like something using alot of power for no reason. Garbage trucks and busses sound similar

Brakes are shuddering (pulsing)
-all 4 disk
Started after replacing rear wheel bearing
I think it's the ABS causing it
Metal riged piece for abs sensor slightly out-of-round.
Think it's the cause?
What is an acceptable gap between sensor and metal?
Is the sensor adjustable?

Nope. Master cylinder.

just sounds like the fan blowing. clutch is probably stuck. is it slow to warm up?

sounds like your sensor is dirty or shot, try doing this youtube.com/watch?v=fgp6NvueFQE if that doesn't work, you should probably replace it

Have your rotors turned. Most common cause of pedal pulsation is rotor runout

Is the abs light on?

Master could have internal leaking causing that.
Id imagine you are comparing it to a turbo spool. Could be the fan blowing air through the radiator. Normal. (Read my thread disclaimer now)
ABS actuates SUPER fast. A slower pulsing indicates warped rotors. The ABS light will also come on when a fault is seen (like a faulty connection). try pulling it apart and seeing if there is corrosion on the connection points.

OP here. A brake booster issue would not cause them to fall to the floor. It would be one hell of a time if the booster went out. Better not have skipped leg day.

Pull the head, put in a Helicoil.

thanks

There is excessive runout on the new hub, but the caliper was frozen (had to replace) and it was doing it with no brakes on that wheel.
Started with a new (cheap) hub

no light, but the light does work

>ABS actuates SUPER fast. A slower pulsing indicates warped rotors.
It's audible and I'd guess about 20 pulses/second
>Brrrrrrrrtttttttt
every stop

Kind of a correction ( this is OP) on my response to The gap you may see is the gap from the sensor itself and the tone ring. that ring is what the sensor is looking at to see if that wheel is rotating at a different rate from the others thus, actuating the ABS. They could have bent that ring when replacing the bearing causing it to always see the wheel moving at a different rate.
See above.

would you rather change the air filter on a panamera, or take a 3/4 ratchet in the ass?

Correct. Booster provides force. Master provides pressure.
Hard pedal? Booster.
Pedal to floor but no brakes (assuming no leaks) Master

honestly i cant decide

Wow...mustsa been substitute day in Germany for the engineers.

i hit a mailbox today and now my steering wheel is bent. i musta been goin like 30 and i slid downhill (slush and ice) head on into the mailbox. the thing is, it was a plastic mailbox including the post so i dont understand why it fucked up my car so bad. There is not even a scratch on the bumper. when i put the wheel straight, the car veers off to the left and every single bump i go over almost makes me lose control.

how bad do you think the damage is?

I already to headlights on 2010 malibus. ill do the air filter. (only chevy techs know the pain)
OP again here

Is there only 1 camshaft in my 302 small block? This would be in a 91 fox body. I know i'm a dipshit. Can't find the info anywhere on the internet.

if its not overhead cam then there should only be one

holy shit, you need to take the fender and wheels off to get to the airbox? what's the fucking point in that.

It's a pushrod engine. Yes, you cannot kill the 302

You have an issue with what the sensor is telling the module. It could be a faulty sensor, a tone ring, gap, etc. Unless you look at live data, it's a crap shoot. Pay a shop to diag or start replacing parts

Have it aligned. If something is broken, they will tell you

im just going to leave this here

How to stop backfires on a snowblower with Briggs & Stratton motor ?

Sounds like a tie rod lost its toe setting. Get the alignment checked and have the tech check for loose parts.
Its ok. It should have 1 i think. Overhead cams can have up to 4 though.
My malibu comment requires the bumper to be removed. i can do that air filter.
fantastic...

Ok cool. I'm looking into upgrading and have my upgrades picked and set out in this order.

>4 bank eliminator chip
>CAI and 70mm Throttle body
>Headers
>Flowmaster dual "dump" exhaust
>AOD lock up 3000rpm stall torque converter
>F303 cam

Is that a solid starting point? suggested support mods if any? want to do this shit right so I don't ruin a great car in great condition.

where do babies cum from?

thanks

This thread. This is a good thread. Hey op. Master tech bro here. Time to take a shit and shower. Always good to see op be the smallest fag possible (op is always a fag) keep wrenching and chevy on.

1985 amc eagle, starts up fine until it warms up, then slowly starts misfiring more and more until it sounds like popcorn. All cylinders misfiring, some more than others. Any ideas?

Flowmasters will drone like hell. Get Borla or something nicer at least.

Don't stop now. I'm fapping.

would you like some spagetthi?

Smoke test. Check for vacuum leak.

Fapping harder

My dirtbike makes a crackles sound when i let off the throttle, is that normal and why?

there ya go good chap

Oh jesus. the B and S motors. Could be timing. no idea how youd adjust it though...
Id say so. im not that big into the modding community so idk.
inner CV axle
Thanks bro
Sounds like pinging. Try having the timing adjusted and/or the timing chain looked at
I have magnaflow on my 03 silverado and it is perfect.
2 or 4 stroke?

I typed your symptoms into WebMd and it said that your dirtbike has cancer. sorry :(

Ready for summer nationals kek -OP

kek. sweet home made drag slicks

4 stroke

Any reason Not to have a second battery wired in the back of my truck?