ITT: Underrated Overrated albums

I'll start

Fact: If Ian Curtis hadn't killed himself, nobody would care about Joy Division today.

but do you not thing that adds context to the album? It's like saying if Kendrick Lamar wasn't black nobody would care about To Pimp a Butterfly
Joy Division is better because Ian Curtis killed himself because it shows that the lyrics on the albums are actually from a man falling apart not just someone pretending

Agreed that darker albums are far darker when related to an artist's personal life.
Do you think anyone would take Gira nearly as serious if he wasn't in the Israeli jail and working homeless in a literal salt mine when he was young?

underrated on all accounts

What does Underrated Overrated mean?
Praised by plebs but the album's true beauty gets ignored?

yeah it would really not be so overrated if they just didn't push record, you know?

One of my favs of all time, but this is the most "overrated underrated" album there is, not the other way around

overrated as in everyone always shills the shit out of it but you listen to it and it's actually good as fuck

>Praised by plebs but the album's true beauty gets ignored?

It's self-claimed patricians call albums overrated, yet they're actually not. In a sense, with everyone saying it's overrated, an album becomes underrated

It's underrated and overrated at the same time? At least, I think that's what it means.

Like, In Utero gets passed over in favor of Nevermind in most conversation, so it's underrated, but the big reason why it comes up in the first place is that it's a Nirvana album, and the last one at that, right before Kurt Cobain died; it might hint at band drama/relationships, and it still has pop appeal, which is why it's also overrated.

wait what

You could put any Pink Floyd album here really. Most people think of Money, Comfortably Numb, Brick in the Wall and WYWH when they think Pink Floyd.

No one seems to mention Any Colour You Like, Echoes, AHM, Fearless, etc

>No one seems to mention Any Colour You Like, Echoes, AHM, Fearless, etc
echoes and any colour are the best

The fact that Closer is better, doesnt make this album "Underrated Overrated"

90% of people who listen to Swans don't know this

Closer is better for atmosphere/mood

Unknown Pleasures is better for cyberpunk bangers.

I always like scouring wikipedia articles of new bands / artists I listen to. Definitely added a lot when I first listened to Swans

This.

more like Overrated Overrated album

The most fitting album for this topic IMO

I knew he was arrested at 15, but salt mines?

I get comfort from the fact that even fucking my life up this bad can still lead to good things