Sup Forums I am seriously considering joining the marines after I finish my senior year...

Sup Forums I am seriously considering joining the marines after I finish my senior year. I don't want to spend the next 2 or so years working the same retail job and going to school for a degree and job i'm not even sure I want. Everyone I try to talk to about my decision, all they say is "don't join user you will die/get shot/waste your young adult hood" my brother is the only one who seems to support me and giving me helpful advice for a head start. Is there really any drawbacks to joining into the military? (besides getting killed of course but that can happen at any job.)

in the us you get so much respect just by being in the military. you should do it.

Don't let yourself fall for the trap. That's how they get you.

>Oh man I can't think of any good way to live my life right now
>Oh man the military looks like a better idea than anything i've thought about so far

But that's the thing. SO FAR. The military idea only beats the other ideas you've had SO FAR. If you keep looking into things you will eventually find a comfy job and career you'll be excited to go to everyday. I mean maybe you won't, but the point is do way more research into what your options are before you join the army. Every friend I know who joined regretted it. And the basic training they put you through is extremely outdated and stupid way to train and exercise and general. Like seriously, the army is so stupid about getting people stronger. They don't give their recruits enough food to eat and recover inbetween their workouts and they over train them. They think they're making them tougher and giving them more endurance but really they're over training them and burning them out and making them weaker.

If you hate exercising so much you can barely move just to do it again the next day and feel your whole body burn doing the most basic shit because you can't take it anymore the army is not for you. And considering you want to join the army because you don't want an uncomfortable job that's a really bad idea because the army will be WAY more uncomfortable than any job you would have picked otherwise.

And they'll harden you up as a person too and make you submissive to people with higher authority and brain wash you into feeling honored to be taught by somebody who thinks they're better than you and can talk down to you all day. It's fucking awful. And the whole ideology of the army is extremely cruel and unacceptable by any religion. It's murder. If you care about your soul stay the fuck away from the army.

The army sucks major cock and god help the poor soul that gets suckered into it

It's not a bad gig. The pay is nice and you get to support yourself, also you do get to see different places that you normally wouldn't go. That being said, it's a motherfucking bureaucratic nightmare. There's so much stupid paperwork just to do the smallest things. You're treated like a child as a junior Marine. Also the NCOs jump your ass for everything, such as your haircut, having your hands in your pockets. So you just gotta weigh the pros and cons and figure out if the pay and the freedom is worth all of the monotonous bullshit

I don't give a shit about anything you just said but that's a cool pic of Viper that I've never seen before

Yea go leave this country for 8 years so you can come back and be a social outcast. Good luck having any social life and friends. You honestly think when you come out at 26 you're going to feel normal? You missed out on all your party years, drug experimentation if you're into that, and family time. Do what you want with your life. At the end of the day those are your 8 years and you're going to have to live with it. You think any military is going to support you forever? Unless you join the military and stay there for 20+ years for a GUARANTEED check, it's not worth it in my opinion. It's not about money. it's about time. Just because you're some military fag doesn't mean walmart is going to suck your dick and give you 40 hour work weeks. The struggles you have now will be the struggle after except you wasted 8 years of your life for shit pay considering you're not entering military life as a career. Also, even if you do end up in the military for 20+ years, guess what? Enjoy being a 45 year old faggot who missed out on his entire life and family time just because you wanted money. So yea you'll have your house and car, but you'll probably be a piece of shit depressed faggot like all those 30-45 year olds who are just coming out from service. You honestly think these people are happy? 20 years of sobriety, bunch of penis on a ship or tank, and the best part you're a fucking old faggot with nothing going for him except old age. OP learn this now, life is not about money. So yea go ahead. Waste your youth supporting some faggot military complex. When you're 45 and come out Ill sit next to you in a bar so I can feel better I didn't join the faggot brigade. Think twice OP. Don't be a faggot like all the patriot cock suckers you see. 99% of these people are blinded and losers. Oh yea, don't forget you're going to have to pay faggot uncle sam for all the toilet paper, food, and water you used because you're not even worth anything to USA while you risk your life and time

The pay is shit. You get paid less than minimum wage anywhere.

this kek

Still fresh out of high school, with presumably not a lot of work experience. So unless OP can find a full time job with what he's working with now, he would still probably make more in the military. However, you are correct. The pay is shit...

Get an Associate.
You can apply for multiple financial aids. Even through the military.
Then, when you get your associate, join up.

Met a staff sergeant with 10 years of service in infantry. He was my coworker at an electrical distribution warehouse. We were all making 15 an hour in California (median income in my area is 30 an hour). He was 45, I was 17. OP don't work a 17 year old's job at 45. If you're going into the military do something that has job prospects in the civilian market, or be good enough at redrum to be a PMC, but you really should stick to something safer if you value breathing with your lungs.

Op here, my father was in the navy for 22 years and is happily making almost 200k a year and has enough family time for us all, on the contrary my brother was in the army and is now jobless and all he does is play xbox while trying to get through school at 26. I guess I should check my priories a bit more but it just seems like the best option right now. I can get out and go to school to get EMT certified become a firefighter/periodic and live happily ever after. Of course that is not how the world works but it is my ultimate goal.

Dude, warehouse worker here. Military has firefighters, do that. Best of both worlds.

You wont regret it. I promise. You'll gain some of the most loyal brothers and long time friends. and you'll learn a skill(s) OP, depending on your ASVAB. Radio oper. to cannon fodder. Just do it. live. join a brotherhood you can be proud of. Semper I, fucker.

considering there is more risk dying in other occupations.
your friends/families arguments are invalid

Bumping for interest. I'm 23 almost 24 and considering this too. I wanted to be a cop but I've been to jail 3 times in the last year. No felonies and no record because the charges were all dropped, but people tell me my chances of being a cop are still slim to none, so I thought 4 years in the marines would change that. Any advice would be appreciated.

> And the basic training they put you through is extremely outdated and stupid way to train and exercise and general. Like seriously, the army is so stupid about getting people stronger. They don't give their recruits enough food to eat and recover inbetween their workouts and they over train them. They think they're making them tougher and giving them more endurance but really they're over training them and burning them out and making them weaker.

Maybe the point isn't to get physically stronger but mentally, by getting you used to just taking bullshit and dealing with suffering. Did you serve?

Also I've looked at the PFT for the marines and, as hard as this will be to believe coming from someone on Sup Forums I'm in good enough shape that I know I could ace it, if anything it's kind of a joke to me.

>And they'll harden you up as a person too and make you submissive to people with higher authority and brain wash you into feeling honored to be taught by somebody who thinks they're better than you and can talk down to you all day

That doesn't sound too different from civilian life though. We're all cucks and prostitutes, metaphorically. You have to be to make it anywhere.

guys i'm high as shit help im gona die

What did you go to jail for?

good

It takes over your life and changes you as a person. Itsa trap.

Why the marines specifically? Are you mentally tough and do you like to fight?

Try Navy or Air Force - the job is safer, you go to mostly better places or the same places, and you're much less likely to get your legs blown off.

Domestic assault, then DUI plus two possession charges, one for weed the other for opiates, I was high as a kite and passed out at the wheel and crashed. Somehow miraculously no one was injured, I just totaled my car. Those were bad times for me, I just didn't give a fuck. The third one, got caught with like 7 grams of weed and bailed myself out like 3 or 4 hours later for 150 bucks. Everything was dismissed and my record is clean but still.

i kek'd

Current army medic here.
Don't join unless you have a plan for after. And if you do.. Get a job that has the civilian counterpart.
For example: as a medic I got my EMT-B license. It's not much but it's at least something I got out of it. I also got extra training that an EMT-I has. Granted it's not amazing but it's a fallback. For medics we have a lot of room to move forward in the Army/military. I have the opportunity to go become a Physician's Assistant for free and my medic knowledge and working with a PA everyday makes it easy. So if you decide to join.. Make sure you find a job that has a good future. 11B and 13B have litterly no civilian side and the only good thing is the Post 9/11 GI-bill. Which every Mos gets. Choose a job that gives you a skill. Only thing is you'll be a POG. Only certain other MOS's get the non-pog status, and it's earned.

Damn bro that sucks

>Real world working skills provided when your in
>Housing provided when your in
>Food provided when your in
>Pussy provided when your in
>Respect earned when your in
>VA benefits when your out
>GI bill when you're out

Fucking do it. You'll be out when you're 22, you'll still have your whole life ahead of you and more experience than a bachelors degree would provide. Plus, you could pick an MOS like motor-t or HE and have a good time. You will probably be deployed to a combat zone if you're one of them, but that just means you'll get combat pay w/o the risks associated with infantry or ordinance.

>army e5 160th 4years tis

>I was on opiates and crashed my car
>it was dismissed

What

why the fuck would you want to be a pig? I mean really. who the fuck are you helping? slowly more people will own guns and need 911 less while they shoot robbers right in their own front porches. fucking cops are useless when people are armed. not to mention pigs are pigs for a reason. enforcing faggot laws just for brownie points. man fuck out with that shit.

Join the navy or the air force. The marines are literally just a bunch of cannon fodder used to shoot brown people on the "front lines." It's safer, better funded, more enjoyable, and you can stay in it for a lot longer allowing you to get larger checks for when you become a veteran.

Tell me about it. People say if I do some years in the military I could be a cop. I don't think I'd mind 4 years. I'm already 23 so I'm almost at my mid twenties and I don't party or do shit but sit around wasting my youth anyway. Might as well do something that's productive and that I can be proud of.

I don't know, I got lucky.

Edgelord/degenerate. Most cops are decent people.

I'm I should mention I was seen as a low risk addict and had to take some classes and shit, but that's about it. Plus I admitted everything and cooperated.

I'm Is what I meant to do there.

I know a guy my age who was discharged from the marines with permanent disability. He face starts to fucking stop working right, and his jaw almost jumps off his face. Otherwise when its not doing that hes cool. He saids he wishes he was still in. Marines are bad ass. You'll enjoy life much more with some military service on your background. Just don't expect to be impressed by the government. It caters to DIKES, and anti white cry babies. You need to do your job and shut the fuck up. What's better than getting paid to learn?

dude you sound like a serious faggot. exactly what is so much better in comparison?

I've had a lot of life experiences and met a lot of people.

Here is my opinion.

If you are academically challenged, joining some sort of defense focused job (military, police, firefighter, etc.) is admirable.

The military does have some strong negatives though. Having a family will be tough on you and your kids. You won't have a place back home...it's hard leaving the military to find work. Everyone thinks you are damaged goods.

However, if you are pretty smart and you just don't know what you want in life....go to college.

Pretty much every major, from woman studies to aerospace engineering, does the same shit for the first year to two years. You take core classes like english, history, physics, etc.

> You will have time to switch majors without seriously affecting how long it takes you to graduate.

Further, if you have the academic skills...I would recommend engineering. It opens a lot of doors. I am going to med school. My friend is pursuing a JD. Another got recruited to the some security agency, and he's not really allowed to tell us much. One joined some philanthropy organization that designs clean water systems in africa. My friends girlfriend got elected to a local office and is pursuing politics. A decent number of my AE friends have gone to the military as officers.

Engineering really does let you do whatever the fuck you want.

One of my goals is to actually be a surgeon in the Air Force or Navy after med school. So I am not a hater or naysayer.

I'm just saying you can ALWAYS go to the military. If you fucking hate university, you can always go back to the military.

However, if you finish your undergrad you can join at a higher rank and actually contribute your intellect.

Don't it's gay

Can you take college courses while serving in the marines? Is that an option?

Actually older people tend to handle partying way better then a punk ass faggot. Coming out of the marines the guys I see are ultra bad ass, and calm as fuck. They know how to communicate unlike the majority of faggots who cant even make eye contact. There's a lot of loser in the military but they're still better than the lot of losers not in the military anyway. Family time? WTF fuck you you privileged faggot. Most people dont have family, and they're as good as dead with no hope for prosperity. At least when you come out of the military if you're smart you can get a government job. On top of everything the military is no fucking easy thing to walk into. They're cutting a lot of people off, and unless you're financially free with no criminal background the process is like pulling hair to get in.

Join the Air Force or the Navy, you dumb ass.

Joining the Marines means you are going to be treated like cannon fodder.

Joining the Army would be cool depending on what job you get. A lot of Red Tape though.

Join the Navy if you like ships.
Join the Air Force if you want the easiest military service ever (unless you want to be parachuter/EOD).

Basically join the AF unless you are retarded and can only join the other branches.