Do people take this website seriously?

people take the event of a review seriously but not the review

For better or for worse, of course people do.

Reissue reviews are often reviews of the reissue quality/ attempt rather than the original content of the album itself so the two scores aren't comparable.
This is just one of many reasons why a numerical rating system is shit.
Or at least why putting such stock into that system (a system you're propping up by the way by omitting any context and just presenting the two numbers as if they're equivalent) is shit.

You could've left out the Thelonious Monk rating comparison and it's still fucking ridiculous.

normies use pitchfork for two reasons.

1. to "find" music
2. to find "good" music

they are the normie authority for safe picks. they literally operate as advertising for PR firms so the music they give good scores to could be promoted alongside multinational brands. brands "cool kids" buy.

that's it.

>le jazz so it's better
fuck outta this world

that's why they gave the divide album a 2.8 right?

>You mean there's a rich history and a legacy of jazz criticism that dates back almost a century? Jazz criticism has evolved alongside of jazz and has played a crucial role in the shaping of jazz music and the culture of jazz? People have devoted their entire lives to researching the development, impact and evolution of jazz as a unique American artform?

>Nah brah I'll be good! I just reviewed the news Wavves album last week, I got this shit! 9.1!

>what is "indie cred"

p4k hates guitar-based pop as long as white guys do it.

the fact they even review it is a sign they're clickbait.

literally nothing wrong with that pic

Either/Or is a 10 though

top keg

Are you trying to imply either/or isnt a 10?

Do people take this website seriously??

Jazz criticism is mostly just sank. Music would be better if Adobo had the final word on jazz.

>Do people take this website seriously?
Yes, people that only know mtv (and so mtv has no competition), discover that website (that is better than mtv) but dont discover others (since mtv will be their only competition they will be considered fucking good websitre)

name 1 (one) other music review site that isn't scaruffi, christgau, or melon

Classicstoday

thequietus

You could probably find much more offensive ratings than those two

Now I have to start hating this album, just like I had to start hating Donuts.

If Pitchfork likes it (they're really just a proxy for white hipster poptimist English-majors/music-journalists everywhere), it must be garbage. :\

i'm offended they gave the blue album a 10

is pitchfork the millennial rolling stone?

You haven't listened to Monk's Music, have you?

Leftist honkeys trying to be politically correct and atone for their sins of privilege by giving BlackLivesMatter-core and poptimist trash good reviews?

you're retarded. thelonious monk is not better because he's jazz he's better because he's more creative

>9.1
>10

What's the meaningful difference? Who the fuck cares?

this is now a shitfork cringe thread

this

me

I don't know how they haven't deleted this one out of shame yet

They gave Steve Reich's Four Organs, one of the most important compositions of the late 20th century, a 7.6 or so.

Jazz is for children trying to act like adults

Elloit Smith is for tormented soul who have felt the most unimaginable rawest emotional pain you wouldn't even believe. They listen to his music to cope.

kek

Ask the people who utilize a scoring format that specifies down to the tenths place to judge music

i can't even come close to expressing my frustration right now

mbdtf.jpg

>you

>put 9/11 on the cover of your shitty tape loops
>"wow so deep, 10/10 GOAT Epic Upvoted +1"

Confirmed p4k reader

But user, that is a perfect album.

What the fuck!?
I mean, it's a pretty good album but a 10 is waaaaay too much.

I have. That Either/Or expanded version is better.

(You)

"Importance" shouldn't matter. Fuck sacred cows.

Pitchfork's problem is that they became guilty of catering to consensus beliefs. When they thought for themselves, they were better (even if the writing often sucked regardless)

you couldn't be more wrong

it's the most safe album of 1994 and nothing more

>(You)
great argument

Does anyone else miss when p4k were pretentious and barely gave out 10s?

If either/or is a 10, Monk's music is a 10,000

@71567277
You're comparing creativity. That's fucking retarded, user.

@71567313
Okay grandpa

back to wherever you came from

Every song is memorable and meaningful, it may be safe but that doesn't necessarily make it bad.

i mean, it is art against shit indie folk

Monk's Music

Either/Or
>#107 overall

Monk's Music
>#573 overall

Holy shit, fuck RYM. Blocking it from my browser.

You know nothin about Reich huh

Christ, what is with people on Sup Forums and their inability to think logically?

I never said anything about Steve Reich, dumbass.

>(You)
groundbreaking

Either/Or is not a 10 because it has fucking Punch And Judy and No Name #5 and Cupid's Trick which even if you like them are just flat out not as good as the album's heights

It's not even Elliott Smith's best album. It's hella inconsistent quality-wise and Pitchfork apparently thinks that the heights are good enough to ignore the lows which is kind of laughable when you remember the albums that have missed out on 10s for the same reason (Madvillainy)

Not to mention this reissue is a load of shit. On Either/Or's 10th anniversary we got fucking New Moon which is an amazing album in its own right and on its 20th we get a reissue with a few live cuts (My New Freedom being the only interesting one) and a bunch of demos that have been floating around the internet for years. Whoop dee fucking doo thanks Kill Rock Stars. I used to really respect them for how they've treated his work over the years but between this and the fucking Heaven Adores You soundtrack they've been sloppy lately

I don't usually care about Pitchfork but something about this review rubs me the wrong way. People already circlejerk over Either/Or like no tomorrow (it's good but fuck he could do much better) and everyone seems to be super excited about what really seems like a pretty weak "Expanded Edition" to me. I'm probably one of the biggest Elliott stans on this website and I skipped this one. If you really want a good reissue just pick up fucking XO since it's cheap as shit now, finally isn't pressed like complete trash and actually deserves most of the praise it gets

what guitar-based pop ISN'T done by a white guy??

when you realize Pitchfork has never reviewed a Taylor Swift album

>p4k hates guitar-based pop as long as white guys do it
are you fucking serious dude

I actually really do dislike the disintegration loops and don't understand how Basinski is considered anything but a hack. I like ambient music but this is really bad, sticking a 5 second loop on a tape to the point where it gets extremely irritating is just bad.

>OP is literally guitar-based pop album done by a white guy with a 10
Don't breed

She placed in a year end list though.