In 2012, Sight and Sound voted for this movie to dethrone Citizen Kane and become the greatest film of all time

In 2012, Sight and Sound voted for this movie to dethrone Citizen Kane and become the greatest film of all time.

Does Sup Forums agree with their choice?

Other urls found in this thread:

articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/02/entertainment/la-et-mn-citizen-kane-vs-vertigo-what-does-sight-sound-poll-really-mean-20120802
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Midge best girl.

I don't know, I haven't seen it. CK was good though.

Vertigo is one of the worst movies of all time, so no.

What the hell did she mean "stupid, stupid, stupid"?

There weren't enough women of color in it

Greatest ever lists are dumb. Art isn't a contest.

Where did Dark Knight Rises rank? #2 or #3?

I like Vertigo a little bit better.

Art is not a contest but its quality is measurable. Unless you are one of those idiots that think anything can be art or artistic.

I prefer Rear Window. The pacing of Vertigo is insanely weird, and I think people remember it fondly because of the twist.

Yes but saying a single film, book, song, ect is superior then anything else ever made is dumb.

Rear Window is his best film. I never could finish Vertigo because it is just a bad film. The whole idea is based on a fetish.

>The whole idea is based on a fetish

And spying on woman next door with binoculars isn't a fetish?

Every actor chewing scenery
MST3K-ready exposition ("You and i were gonna get married once, remember?")
With a neat meta concept and terrific music

vs.

Constant innovation in cinematography and editing
Performances and script that hold up to this day
Formally towers over and spits on the films of its era and if it were released in theaters now would still embarrass everyone else in terms of sheer visual ingenuity

I think they fucked up honestly.

I never got the hype for Hitchcock. I would have put Bergman at the top.

Hitchcock invented modern cinema anyways, he deserves this one thing

Citizen kane is literally perfect. Every second of the film contributes to the whole.
You could cut an hour from vertigo and it'd be the same damn film

How so? You do realize that most of the things he talked about (size of the object in the frame, color symbolism, tension is like telling the audience the bomb is under the table) are things that were as common knowledge in Hollywood and elsewhere as shot-reverse shot and continuity cutting?

He was just a celebrity filmmaker so these insights blew the minds of those not in the know. Within the industry everyone was already making films that looked like Hitchcock's before he even arrived.

Fuck both of them. In 2022 this will take its rightful place atop the list.

Have you read the book user? How does it differ between the two?

>Art is not a contest but its quality is measurable

Holy shit kill yourself

I have. Read it if you haven't, it's only 200 pages but covers the story better.

Much better backstory (obviously, since it's a book)... shit that's really it. It contains the elements that would ruin the film if they tried to spell them all out. No huge plot differences. They were written by the same people who wrote the film while they were writing the film you know.

>The most subjective thing in the world can be quantifiably measured

Do you think before you write or do you just smash your face against the keyboard hoping to put some words together?

t. The only retard that fell for the upside down toilet meme

It's barely a good flick.

I've had this discussion with retards like you a thousand times, you think art is a badge of honor or a title that is indicative of high quality. You're simply too stupid to realize that art is a title for a medium and the name has no bearing on how impactful it is on your life.

'Citizen Kane' vs. 'Vertigo': What does Sight & Sound poll really mean?
articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/02/entertainment/la-et-mn-citizen-kane-vs-vertigo-what-does-sight-sound-poll-really-mean-20120802

Here's your (you)

Art is a cultural and social manifestation and as such, it takes some skill or talent to make as any other craft. It's only shitty modern ""artists"" that observe the concept of art being completely relative and subjective.

Vertigo is better than Citizen Kane imo.
No, it won't. And it shouldn't. Barry Lyndon has a better chance. And it has no chance.
Bergman on the top in a world where Dreyer exists? Only in teenage wasteland.

>Retard says stupid thing
>You agree with "Yes, "

Humanity's stupidity frightens me to no end.

> it takes some skill or talent to make as any other craft. I

Actually any incidental piece of art can impact you more strongly than the most intricate and skillful art. Because, oh look, because it's subjective. :^) goodbye user

YES, AND THESE PLEB FAGGOTS HERE WILL NEVER AGREE. EDWARD YANG AND AND NOW MICHAEL CIMINO ARE ROLLING IN THEIR GRAVES, AND YOU PEOPLE ARE ALL GOING TO HELL.

>love story
>man is literally double the woman's age

shit film

Just abandon life, mentally deficient sperg

>its quality is measurable
By what? An artometer?

Haha owned em user :^)

>By what? An artometer?

It's measurable by his own autistic need to feel right all the time despite the reality of the situation.

>anything can be art or artistic.
this is literally objective fact you sperglord

It's not like either of them are better than Mean Girls.

Dunno why it's at the top. I guess it's a meme. I hope Tokyo Story takes number one next year. It already won the director's poll.

Predictions for 2022:
Breathless enters top 10
The Searchers drops
I'm 50/50 on whether Vertigo will remain number one
Out 1 enters top 30
The Mirror enters top 15
A Brighter Summer Day enters top 30

Recent films that will enter the list:
Something by Jia (Platform?)
A Weerasethakul (higher than Boonmee being barely on there), but this would be hard because there is no clear consensus on his best

>Bored at 17

Fucking cunt plebiscite.

I read his American Pyscho book and it was dogshit, one of the worst books I've ever read, it was like a 15 year old wrote it. Fucking douche.

That guy's a faggot but he's right, that's how it works.
You should people should watch Hitchcock/Truffaut by Kent Jones

>plebiscite
Lol you don't know what that word means.
Poseur.

Nobody cares about innovative editing when the movie is boring.

>Tokyo Story
I'm gonna need some insight as to why this children-don't-have-time-for-their-aging-parents drama in which the camera never moves is the greatest film of all time.

My phone aurocorrected from pleb and I left it because I liked the way it sounded in cultural expansive response to our common usage of pleb.

I liked it, not loved it, at 17, what's gonna happen when I get older?

>Breathless enters top 10
No. Breathless is a crucial film but is considered overrated in Godard's catalogue.
>The Searchers will drop
Nah. Has a better chance of becoming number one.
>The Mirror enters top 15
Gross, fuck off Tarkovsky.
>A Weerasethakul (higher than Boonmee being barely on there), but this would be hard because there is no clear consensus on his best
Syndromes.

>No. Breathless is a crucial film but is considered overrated in Godard's catalogue
overrated by people who aren't voting in the poll. it was, what 11 or 12 last time? jumping two spots isn't a big stretch. I agree it's overrated but I don't see critical consensus just jumping to another one of his films all of a sudden and I do think after his death he'll get a boost.

>Nah. Has a better chance of becoming number one
Who's clamoring about it now? I only ever hear of people talking about how anachronistic it is now.

>Gross, fuck off Tarkovsky.
I don't like Tarkovsky. The Blu Ray remasters will boost his profile.

>The Searchers drops
Definitely.
>Out 1 enters top 30
Probably.
>A Brighter Summer Day enters top 30
I bet so.