Canadian here. Please explain something to me

Canadian here. Please explain something to me.
Americans voted Trump to be your next President but the Electoral College has to agree. WTF is up with that. And what happens if they decide no he isn't?

Other urls found in this thread:

constituteproject.org/constitution/United_States_of_America_1992
torontosun.com/2016/11/02/harper-right-about-trudeaus-deficits
theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/rob-commentary/more-spending-higher-deficits-the-liberals-are-playing-a-dangerous-game/article32635371/
theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/trudeaus-first-budget-aims-to-spur-growth-with-29-billion-deficit/article29335996/
business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/dont-blame-the-economy-for-trudeaus-deep-deficits
globalnews.ca/news/3000667/canada-expected-to-run-bigger-deficit-than-trudeau-budgeted-td-bank/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That's what you call a Republic. It's built in place to prevent illegal aliens (british) form rigging the election.

Go to bed Bruce, you're drunk.

Fuck off leaf.

We have a constitution that is like 5 pages long. Read up for yourself, definitely faster than waiting for a reply

constituteproject.org/constitution/United_States_of_America_1992
>skip to Article II for election of President

>Canadian

Canadian here. We're an absolute fucking disgrace for electing a man based on his looks.

torontosun.com/2016/11/02/harper-right-about-trudeaus-deficits

theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/rob-commentary/more-spending-higher-deficits-the-liberals-are-playing-a-dangerous-game/article32635371/

theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/trudeaus-first-budget-aims-to-spur-growth-with-29-billion-deficit/article29335996/

business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/dont-blame-the-economy-for-trudeaus-deep-deficits

globalnews.ca/news/3000667/canada-expected-to-run-bigger-deficit-than-trudeau-budgeted-td-bank/

We are a republic. That is how republics work.

Anyway, if they say no, they all lose their jobs at next election, and we would see an unprecedented Republican revenge victory in 2 years. It'd likely be the end of the Democratic party as a major player if they do that.

Civil war

This.

Actually, you're the only republic in the world with an Electoral College.

so basically what happens if the electoral college blocks him, then the vote is sent to the House (which is Republican majority) and they vote on it

Fuck off harper lover. He is a piece of shit and you should be ashamed you damn Alberton.

Fuck off Ezra.

It's one of our checks and balances.
A) empowers rural America preventing it from being the United States of LA and NY.
B) prevents a dictator or cult leader from seizing power with a mob of idiots.
C) prevents a person from cheating then getting in and changing the rules.
It's a pretty good system.
If they overturn the vote two things happen.
Most of them do jail time for lying under oath/perjury and the senate or congress I forget atm decides who should be president.
No matter what happens, he'll be president.

Just embarrassing.

Trudeau's fans are so incompetent.

You have to be full retard to think we elected Trudeau cause of his looks.

HE WAS ELECTED BECAUSE HARPER HAS DOWN SYNDROME

I don't like Trudeau tbh but he's better than Harper.

>Alberton
Eastfag moocher confirmed

>better than Harper
He's the same as Harper with added SJW bullshit and massive deficits.

So we elect one parliament to choose the prime minister, and another parliament to pass laws; other countries elect one parliament to do both. Yeah, I know the presidency isn't the same position as prime minister, but we don't have a prime minister or anything remotely like it, so this is the closest analogy, and the writers of the US Constitution seem to have thought of the electoral college in those terms, being very familiar with the British system.

Harper was okay, but we needed a change of house. Shit was getting too controlling and power mad. Hopefully just a few years with the pretentious prick and we can change again.

In fact, Sec. Clinton got more votes than Trump, by about 3 million (@ 3% of the vote total). But as you point out, Trump "wins" the election.

This is indeed an embarrassment. Worse than an embarrassment, this shows clearly that America is not a democracy, but is instead an oligarchy (government of the rich, by the rich, and for the rich). In this context, it is interesting that poor white Americans voted overwhelmingly for Trump.

>Most of them do jail time for lying under oath/perjury

No. No state has a law that holds electors responsible for their selection.

What actually happens is states with faithless elector laws withold the votes made by electors who vote against their pledges... meaning they don't count. In I think one state (Minnesota), voting against your pledge disqualifies you from serving as an elector in the future.

Another Canadian here. In ours and the British system the Prime Minister and the Cabinet Ministers must come from the Legislature. So the effective executive offices must also have won seats in the law-making House.

>C) prevents a person from cheating then getting in and changing the rules.
oh kinda like how Trump got the Russians involved in the hack

Fuck off. Regional representation keeps the minority groups from getting totally fucked. Dont be salty just cause RoboPresident 5000 failed against a moron in a wig.

You mad bro?

The electoral college exists because of pic related.

The blue represents where half the US population lives.

As you can see, a popular vote isnt entirely fair as these few counties would be able to dictate the rest of the country. Basically old people (Florida) and inner city fuckups would control the country.

The electoral college doesn't decide who ISN'T president, they decide who is. If no candidate gets 270 votes, then congress decides from THE CHOICE OF WHO WAS RUNNING, they can't just elect someone at random.

Sure doesn't seem like they're doing too great with B and C.

Also, no, none of them would do jail time if they go against their state. They are perfectly allowed to do that, otherwise there's no point in the EC existing.

If anything it's the other way around, the fact that places like California and New York are over populated to create these pockets of voters shows that they are the Oligarchy who impose their will on the rest of the "united" states. It takes 3000 counties vs 50 to overcome this highly overpopulated, and for the most part artificially created by globalist ideal, demographic

The Electoral College is better because the retarded passions of the mob could quite possibly elect a piece of shit, tyrant or generally unsafe person for presidency, so da electors were supposed to make sure that didn't happen. I think the college has only voted against the will of the general public like 2 times in the US's entire history though.

Pretty sure it's also perjury in some states where they sign a statement user.

I can't wait until 9/11 part 2 happens and Trump becomes emperor. SUCK IT LIBTARDS, YOU'LL BE HUNTED DOWN AS TRAITORS!

Every response top this post was essentially "fuck off".

Enough said!

If you had a system based in the total number of votes Trump would have just campaigned to get that. You can't blame him for having a good strategy and putting all the effort where votes count most.

You have a system, he played by the rules, he won.

Other question - how long until they vote?

this, I'd like to hang some of the shills

uh, no, they've never voted against the "will of the voters". There have been a handful of "faithless" electors, but they've never been enough to change the outcome of an election.

No, Alexandra Hamilton came up with the EC so electors could discuss who to elect based on popular vote and so smaller states have more of a say

Sounds like someone has never heard of voter disenfranchisement, which happened on an unprecedented scale in this last election with voter ID laws that disproportionately targeted, you guessed it, minorities.

By the way, it's not like they didn't have official ID's when they went to vote. They had plenty of those. They just didn't have the exact one demanded.

they won't decide to vote against him.
you have one little piss ant moron who says he won't.
nobody's worried about the clown.

hillary lost.
get over it.

This, plus you're not counting all the people in red states who didn't vote because we knew it was in the bag.

They vote on the 19th. If only there was some magical way to look stuff up on the internet...

He was elected because Harper played fear politics and Canadians are smarter than that

>WTF is up with that.

Back when US became independent fastest form of communication was guy on horseback or sail boat. Electoral college was only practical way to arrange presidential election.

>And what happens if they decide no he isn't?

Society becomes unstable and there might be even revolution.

Translation: People too dumb to vote should vote. Illegal immigrants should vote. Tourists should vote. People from countries we're at war with should vote.

Played by the rules huh?

Like telling voters to go vote on the wrong day?
Or having connections to Russia in violation of the law?
Maybe those conflicts of interest that he seems to refuse to put to bed.

Oh yeah, totally playing by the rules.

We are a constitutional republic and the ellectoral college was put in place to protect smaller states with less population from states with bigger populations.

>Canadians are smarter than that
>Trudeau literally takes millions from communist china
How's that legal weed? oh right you never got that. You just got Somalians in free hotel rooms getting welfare checks and raping girls.

The constitutionality of that will be tested if a faithless elector does vote against their party. Arguably, the states do not have the power to enforce any penalty, including removing electors.

Alright fair enough if true. I dont know what kind of shady ass fucked up shit you boys are up to down there. We just need any old photo id and maybe a utility bill/bank statement if you arent voting in the constituency listed on your id

Nobody said it was a perfect solution, just a slightly less shitty alternative to getting fucked by the government more

Don't say "no" you ignorant asshole. It's both what you said and what user said. It's not black or white, it's multi faceted.

>Canadian here

Stopped reading there. You don't matter.

>unprecedented scale
Did you forget the Jim Crow laws that essentially prevented all blacks from voting? Your country has had shit-tier enfranchisement since day one. Do you even democracy?

TFW blacks had the vote in the US while Eurotards still had monarchy.

Ha, ha, fucking ha, faggot. At what time?

If they don't, the low end of the US gene pool aka trump supporters, will threaten civil war. The progressives, finally fed up with the fuckwits, will decide to leave the union and form their own countries. The progressives, having the skill sets necessary to succeed in the current economic climate and the values systems to be successful, will prosper and never look back - happy they are finally free of the fuckwits. The fuckwits, aka trump supporters and conservatives, will suffer further economic declines, further declines in overall wealth sinking finally to third world tier status with the blue states pretty much using them as the local sweatshop for their own enrichment.

On paper, maybe. Also Im Canadian so we had everyone but women and Status Indians (not a race, but a separate class of citizen based on treaty rights) since the time you assholes were fighting a war over not enslaving people.

Oh and constitutional monarchy is totally a thing

Liberal here. Trump won. The electoral college will elect him.

It's over.

Trump will be great for America: He'll destroy the rest of the middle class (the redneck filth that voted for him), and he'll help decimate islam.

Frankly I don't know why more liberals don't support him, we (the coastal elite) will benefit the most under his policies.

Marketable skills like being a bitch and liberal arts degrees? Have fun without working class people.

tits or gtfo

True. The liberals will do the best. I look forward to him and the republicans raping the very people who supported him. They deserve the butt fucking that's coming to them.

hail satan

Me too my friend. It's going to be glorious.

We'll have the last word.

That's how population density works, and just because someone is in a city doesn't make them an idiot.

Marketable skills in finance, technology and values such as a world view not a parochial view and looking to the future not the past. There's a reason the progressive states eat red states for lunch economically. Working class?
The elites are the new working class. You and your kind are the anachronism that will become the sweatshop of the future for the progressive states. Your boy trump is already seeing to that. Opposition to minimum wage anyone?

>we had everyone but women and Status Indians
what do want a cookie? leafs still discriminate against indigenous people so take your holier than thou shit and fuck off down the road.

Trump will indeed be great for me. But he will not be great for my friends. Or some of my family. Or the many people who can't seem to just catch a break from all the shit life throws at them.

If I was only interested in the well-being of myself then Trump would indeed be the best choice. But the day I vote for someone based solely on how much they'll enrich my pocketbook, instead of by what I know to be just and fair, is a cold day in hell.

Trump will be president. This is a fact. But I will continue to work so that in two years we can hopefully salvage what is left of diplomatic relations and chain down the corporate oligarchy. And then, four years from now, prevent this kind of travesty from happening again.

That's the idea anyway.

Agreed. But it's sill going to be glorious to watch those trump supporters get royally butt fucked.

No, you are also correct.

Actually more Americans voted for Hillary.

>derp

When 9/11 part 2 happens dirty donnie will be blamed just like Bush was and it will make it easier for a democrat to win next election.

Yes, because financial leaders are traditionally very "progressive". Trump is an asshat but at least he opposes the regressive left. The elite can forever feel free to not give a shit. The world view posited by leftists is proven garbage.

in what way did russia help trump?

if i were to go to the olympic 100m race and tripped up usain bolt, i am not helping the person who comes second, im holding back bolt, any of the other runners could win

if trump was that bad of a candidate, the greens or libs would have beaten him, stfu you cuck and just admit that russia pointed out how corrupt the clintons are and people realised they do not want that

I was replying to a jackoff who thought the United States had particularily good voting rights. And not in voting rights.

he got the young votes and pot smoker votes you pleb. Watch what happens if he doesn't legalize pot by April 20th 2017, it will be him breaking every election promise he made.
platform
>non privatization
Trying to privatize everything just like the last guy
>overturn that spy bill or change it
they didn't change shit and pushed it threw
>End those fucking bullshit free trade agreements and digital crap
nope he pushed it threw
>Restore our protected parks and environmental science
hasn't done shit but added a carbon tax when we don't make enough carbon to have an impact
>Legalize weed by April 20th 2017 we'll see what happens but he said he can't due to UN international treaties

also, "we have proof it was russia" but we arent going to impose any sanctions on those involved like we have done in the past we are just going to talk shit to putin for 2 more months then leave trump to deal with the mess and then blame him for the state of the relations between the 2 countries

there is actually no way aside from assassination or war to stop Trump from taking his rightful place.

Being this retarded. So sad the left had to make up so much bullshit to try and win the election. Now they either have to own up to being liars or double down and keep pretending that Trump is "literally Hitler"

The "worldview' by the left is the one that is winning economically. Have fun being our bitch.

how did that sexual assult lawsuit against trump go that libfags were 100% convinced would see him arrested?

How so? Are you enjoying the welfare state?

>So sad the left had to make up so much bullshit to try and win the election.
sure kid

When there's a race with two people and you hold back one then you are effectively helping the other win. Trying to say that the third parties EVER have a chance in the election race is ignoring how tiny they are compared to the two big parties.

Funny how you mention corruption in the Clintons when Trump's charity seems to only exist to donate to Trump, Trump refuses to give up control of his companies to a blind trust instead of his children as would be proper to prevent conflict of interest, and recently sought to get the names of prominent climate change scientists who attended conventions with views he disapproved of so he and his party could spearhead a witchhunt.

You claim to have voted against corruption and then decided to go ahead and let the swindler waltz right on in. Get ready, because you'll be eating the shit sandwich like everyone else soon enough.

Considering the economy is actually doing pretty damn spiffy under Obama? You bet!

well I didn't vote for him. I'm just looking for the silver lining.

And the silver lining is that the filth in red states will be obliterated. Sadly so will our friends who're middle-class.

But we (upper-middle class liberals) will make out like bandits.

the retards who howl the loudest.... will be hurt the most. and I can't wait to see it.

pic related.

>occupy Democrat
You retards already tried Wallstreet and got laughed into obscurity there too. Guess we'll have a good laugh as another one of your tirades crashes and makes you all look like fools.

How does investigating Trump keep democrats out of office? It's like you don't know what an investigation is even for.

that's not Obama's picture.....

trumps already done more for america then Obama did in 8 years, and hes has not even been sworn in yet

>Americans voted Trump to be your next President
Actually more individual people voted for Hillary, but their votes are represented in the Electoral College according to the number of electors in their states, and each state can set it's own rules for how those electors represent the results of the election within their state--most go with winner take all--and the number of electors for each state is equal to the number of representatives it has, so by winning the in the right states, a candidate only really needs about 33% of the popular vote to win the election.

>the Electoral College has to agree
Yes and no; some states mandate that the electors should vote according to their prescribed method of representing the popular vote, but others do not, and in any case they can choose to ignore such mandates and their votes still count though they may be fined.

>WTF is up with that
It's complicated, and crazy, and probably outdated since the 1950's when everyone could watch the campaigns on TV and most people learned to read an write.

>And what happens if they decide no he isn't?
They won't. This would demonstrate that american democracy is a sham, which of course everyone already knows. That would be a step too far; no one wants to see the proof that the american people are entirely disenfranchised pawns in the upper class's game--that might cause some serious unrest.

It's not that we don't know it's true, just that we are happy to go along with it if they keep up a facade of cooperation.

Anyone with half a neuron connected can see that most of their propaganda was total bullshit

Welfare state? That's pretty much most of the red states who rely on the blue states for funding. When you folks can stand on your own feet, then try that line of argument.

hurr durr I dont understand american politics.

Fuck off.

If the CIA wants to be taken seriously by anyone who's not a #notmypresident wastrel, they should present some actual evidence besides their "good word". 'Cause we all know the CIA's long history of 'truthfulness', right?