Do u play guitar?

do u play guitar?

I took guitar lessons for a year or two when I was a kid. I basically got to the point of being pretty fast at switching chords but I couldn't do anything technical or even very interesting. I have an opportunity to impress this girl I like at a work talent show next June. This is her favourite song.

youtube.com/watch?v=lHb8NyhEbFM

Do you guys think I could learn how to play that in 5 months? Disclaimed I'm not totally hopeless musically. I can play piano decently well.

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0bPa8l9UYms
vocaroo.com/i/s0SJRx5pVz6f
youtube.com/watch?v=0TcfL84Kgqc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

5 months is more than enough to learn a song so you're beyond fine, godspeed

i just can't tell if this might be too complicated. It doesn't seem TOO difficult but I wanted to get some real guitarist's opinions.

>next June

That's a year and a half away. Plenty of time.

totally possible. i learned a whole Metallica album in about 2 months after i got my first guitar, from 0 experience and i dont play anything else. like 98% of what i practiced was just the one album, whatever bits and pieces. i didn't master hammer ons and pull offs and sweeps and slides in that time but to a non guitarist i sounded like a beast. probably averaged 2 hours or less a day. maybe more

How old are you?
The younger that you are the easier it is, I started at 17 and within 6 months could play fairly complicated stuff.
If you really want to learn a particular song keep trying over and over.

Honestly, it might be kind of challenge, but in the video song he's using a lot of Hendrix ideas and blues.
Learning some Hendrix techniques and studying your major and minor pentatonic and jamming them to the blues will help a lot.
Use a metronome as well

If you learn an instrument only in order to impress others, you become part of the cancer that is destroying the art of music.

>what

Yeah of course, depends on how much time per day you can put in. But man don't learn the guitar to get chicks you are literally that guy. Do it for the love of music :)

yeah OP thing is you might be able to play that song note for note perfectly, but it'll sound shit because you'll have no backing. instead of focusing so much on trying to play well just be smart with what you have, ie: a looper will make life easier for you, but you have to be competent enough to use it. good luck

Beethoven did it to get laid who are you to judge

you:
vs the guy she tells you not to worry about:
>pic related

Check out some youtubers tutorial and you'll be fine. My fav is JustinGuitar tho

I've been playing about 13 years. Percussive and fingerstyle mostly. My hands aren't that big though so it's been painful and frustrating but well worth the results!

LickNRiff and Goliath Guitar are the gods!

this monkey is selling out arenas and getting his dick sucked by groupies 24/7 and basically your fucked. learn this one trick zoo-keeper music teachers don't want you to know.

I started taking lessons when I was 12 or 13 and continued with them for a year or so. After that, I just taught myself. 23 now and still play often. I'm getting more into theory as i get older, but I've always just kind of played by feel. You can easily pick up some skills op

Pentatonic scale, practice it then start messing with it, slide around instead of playing the scale change picks, picking angle make up your own music using it. Try to vary whatever you can while you play it play it with a backing track or whatever, that is about all the video you posted is. Try hammer ons and pull offs on this scale. Practice bending and vibrato. Pick the same note or series over and over to get good at picking, I wouldn't worry about trying to follow a particular style, because making up your own usually is easier and works better.

In addition if you play two notes that are the same like th lower and higher octave of a note it's super easy, after about a day of practice, but sounds impressive.

All you have to do is believe that you can do it, because you can, source: this is me after obsessive practice vocaroo.com/i/s0bPa8l9UYms

sounds disgusting, like a shitty gameboy soundtrack

why do metal fans always insist on trying to make people listen to their shitty "music" that isn't anything decent to listen to, just shredding which is boring, hurts peoples ears, and sounds musically pathetic. this is why so many people play guitar and don't have sex

Meh interpretation, motivation and incentive are all in the player, as well as the listener.

vocaroo.com/i/s0SJRx5pVz6f

but you must be aware that you are in the very very very small minority of people that like the music you're playing? you must be aware that it's a VERY acquired taste, and you must also be aware that playing lead bits on your own, especially these "crazy" solos of you just playing the same 3 notes over and over, is boring as hell, right?

i play in a surf/blues/shoegaze band and i know that unless i'm looping myself and i can provide a sphere of music, nobody is gonna wanna hear me because it'll sound shit

don't get me wrong you can play well, i can't play the naughty twangy shit you do, but also i had a friend who could play all the SRV songs perfectly, he just couldn't play anything else, didn't even know what to do when i called chords at him, so what's the point in learning all this intricate shit when you're gonna play it with annoying as hell treble and on your own? playing simply and more intelligently with your listener in mind is the key to objective success, not just being a flashy faggot

to people who don't listen to heavy metal (most people) all heavy metal sounds exactly the same, all the solo's sound the same, just annoying bits of treble with some guy flicking the bean of his , and people wonder why heavy metal is an unpopular genre

Don't help the guy, you're just creating commercial competition in a tough enough business as it is

Yeah it do it mostly as a hobby, I don't intend to make a career. I don't enjoy most of heavy metal, it is fun to play some of the stuff, not really the stuff that requires a metronome to practice, I only enjoy improvising, and trying to make expression for myself, I would probably go insane if I had to play all of SRV perfectly, I might get the first chord and never move any further than that. I don't actively go out to enjoy live music. I'm thinking any structure imposed on music will make it worth less to enjoy.

i've heard him play twice i know he's not competition of any sort

but i will record myself playing something so i'm not being a critical dick

try surf music, best kind of guitar music there is, it's not about what you can do it's all about what you can't do, makes even the worst guitarists geniuses, and surf is so catchy and swingy that it gets everyone going no questions asked.

trying to record on vocaroo but got a shitty mic so its gonna sound absolute dog shit

youtube.com/watch?v=0TcfL84Kgqc

It doesn't matter as long as you like what you play that's all I care about.