Netflix co-founder wants you to buy a movie theater subscription

How many of you would buy this?

It's $30 a month for a card you can use to go the movie theater as many times as you want.

aol.com/article/2016/06/28/netflix-co-founder-wants-you-to-buy-a-movie-theater-subscription/21420599/

Other urls found in this thread:

cdn.amctheatres.com/theatres/images/Primary/Thumb/3041_mkt-2417-edlp-theatreimage-b_E175.jpg
variety.com/2016/film/news/studios-exhibitors-consider-revolutionary-plan-for-day-and-date-movies-at-home-exclusive-1201725168/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The average person doesn't spend 30 dollars a month on movies. It sounds a Jewish trick to force you to see movies you don't even want to see just to get your money worth and make their ample product placement see a larger audience.
>don't forget your snacks

It's amazing if there's one movie that comes out in a month that I'd want to see.

Would consider for a smaller theater with smaller releases or older films.

This exists in the UK. It's £16 a month and you also get discounts on the snacks.

I probably spend less than 30 in a year on actual tickets with how infrequently I feel I need to get to a theater to see a flick.

Wouldn't be surprised if "$30 a month for as many viewings as you want" is bait. Like early adopters would be able to do this for a while but if it got popular they'd probably have different tiers of subscriptions.
>$30 gets you 10 screenings a month
>$50 gets you 20 + discount food and drink
>$100 gets unlimited viewings, discounted food and drink, and up to 5 free snack food items a month*
*free items must cost less than $4

Its only 19 euro's here.
You would need to visit 2 movies per month to break even.

I'm thinking about getting one but i would have to convince some friends aswel.

My theater has a no singles policy, so no.

Wasn't a big deal until the prostitute I paid to see movies with me moved.

Paying $30 a month to watch capeshit, capeshit, capeshit, kids movie, romcom and a shit horror movie is every I want.

>$30 a month
that only makes sense if I want to see 3+ movies every single month.

I'm lucky if there's one movie I want to see in an entire fucking year.

There aren't enough decent movies to warrant spending $30 a month.

I guess it would be good if you're an absolute prole without taste. You can see 5 capeshit flicks in a month.

I'd do it in a heartbeat, but in communist Sweden the swedish state almost have monopoly on theaters so they would never do it.

>$30 for as many films as I want in a month
>that's how much it costs to see one film + buy snacks

fucking SF jews

>the average person doesn't spend $30
Adult tickets are like $10 a piece. A date is auto-$20 plus possible popcorn and soda. Bringing your family is auto-$35 plus possible popcorn and soda.

If you see one movie a month alone you're at least spending 1/3 of the $30.

I don't have the time to go to the cinema more than once a month anyway

No, there is rarely even more than one movie a month out worth watching. I would pay at least $20 to watch from home instead though instead of having to endure the theater experience with obnoxious ads and 20 minutes of previews.

I already pay $4 a pop for first run. Why try to squeeze in 10 showings in a single month?

where do you live that it's that cheap?

>$30 a month
>$360 a year
Maybe if you went to the movies every week, but that's assuming you it's only you going and there's something worth seeing.

You could plan ahead and get it for a month when you need it and then cancel.

US. AMC Theaters does it.

cdn.amctheatres.com/theatres/images/Primary/Thumb/3041_mkt-2417-edlp-theatreimage-b_E175.jpg

There are only like 3 movies a year I bother seeing.

>the capeshit put out by Marvel.
>any good hard sci fi like Ex Machina and Moon
>underdog comedies like Nice Guys.

I just pay for 1 ticket then sneak in 3-4 movies that day. Seriously its like $12 a ticket now.

well the things is. since i was like 13 (27 now) i've been able to see as many movies as i wanted to in one visit. of course it was probably illegal but i've never been caught. pretty sure i can still do this in any movietheater in my area.

so basically fuck off with your 30$/month bullshit. i could go to my local amusmentpark everyday for a year for that price. (80$ per visit) (30$ a month unlimited visit)

>tfw don't live close to a cineworld
>tfw cineworld have a really shit selection of films outside of awards season

only if i can mooch off of my brother's card like i do his netflix account

Not worth. You would force yourself to see three movies a month, and honestly, how many good movies are even worth seeing?

So? Are you implying you would suddenly not have to pay for popcorn and soda?
No you would have to pay more often for that because you would go more to the theatre than once or twice a month.
Also want to bring your date every time? Another $30 per month.

This an attemt to get people into more shit movies.

No crab legs subscription? Why bother.

lol

don't you mean snaques

I'd pay $30 to never see jewflix mentioned again

fuck that, thats the dumbest shit ive ever heard.

the gas to get to and from would not warrant the pass.

The Milwaukee Film Society has a membership you can get for $65 a year that gets you into a member's-only screening of a movie they choose once a month, if more places have stuff like that you should do that instead. You might end up getting something that doesn't suit your tastes once in a while, but it's usually a quality film nonetheless.

if by Jewish trick you mean capitalism

of course Sup Forums would rather just adopt a simple policy of "teh joos are behind this" instead of realizing it's capitalism that dedicates greed

Nice tuck job

That's like going to a movie 3 times a month
If I did that then it would be worth it but I don't
Cool idea though

>Mitch Lowe
No jew at all, you are right.

There aren't enough worthwhile movies released in a month for it to be worth it.

I've been to like 4 films since the digital projector bullshit was rammed through.

HOW ABOUT LOWER PRICES FOR RENTING THAT AXE AT THE BEHEADING STAND BECAUSE YOU COULDNT BE BOTHERED TO CLEAN THE SWORDS?! WHEN AN UNATTENDED WOMAN IS SHRIEKING LIKE A GOAT FOR HER LIFE BEFORE I SEND HER TO ALLAH FOR BEING A WHORE I DONT WANT THE SLOPPY CUT THAT COMES WITH THAT STUPID INFIDEL WEAPON!!!!

But seriously, guys, I dont get why you defend moderate muslims like me.

This.

I have a MoviePass and am pretty happy with it, I like going to the movies so it pays off for me pretty quickly. There are ways you can use it to get multiple tickets which I do occasionally when my girlfriend wants to see a movie too. When that happens it basically pays for itself that day,

The article isn't really honest though. You can only see one movie every 24 hour period. The wait begins whenever you purchase a ticket.

Can you see any movie at any cinema, or does it only cover certain movies/locations?

>Speed
>Ace Ventura
>The Mask
>Dumb and Dumber
>Forrest Gump
>Pulp Fiction
>lion Kink
>Ed Wood
>Shawshank Redemption

If this pass was around in the 90's Id do it

Odeon now has their own version.

It only covers certain theaters. MoviePass' site has a tool where you can see what theaters near you are participating. Every theater in my area (6 of them) is a participant though. They have pretty good penetration in the marketplace as far as I can tell.

It should also be made clear that their is a cancellation fee (that gets smaller each month) if you cancel before a year is up. After the year you can cancel whenever.

What happened to that service where you could pay like $50 to stream a new movie in your home?

Just have a couple people over and have them pitch in for the cost.

>1994 meme
please go back to plebbit

all those movies came out in 94, cry more reddit

If the limited release indie/arthouse stuff actually made it to the midwest I'd consider it.

Oh wait it was called Screening Room

>$150 for the box
>$50 for each movie same day as theaters

variety.com/2016/film/news/studios-exhibitors-consider-revolutionary-plan-for-day-and-date-movies-at-home-exclusive-1201725168/

To get some value out of it you would need to see 3 movies a month at select theaters. I don't even know if there are enough movies worth watching for that to be worth it.

To anyone who may be curious, here's how you can manipulate the system to get more value for yourself:

First, here's how MoviePass works. You go to the theater, check in for a specific movie, some money is loaded on your card and then you have to buy the ticket within 30 minutes. MoviePass doesn't know what movie you actually wind up charging to the card, they just pay out the standard 2D rate (you can't see 3D movies with MoviePass yet). You can only see each movie once (arbitrary rule). You can't see another movie for 24 hours from time of purchase.

Lets say there's 8 movies out - Tarzan, The Lobster, Independence Day, The Nice Guys, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Warcraft, Finding Dory and the Jungle Book.

I want to see Warcraft (even though it was awful, I feel like I have to) so I can see that by myself.

My girlfriend wants to see Finding Dory and the Jungle Book though. I want to see all these movies with my MoviePass paying for both of us. So here's what I do:

I want to see Finding Dory on Friday at 7:30 so I go to the theater on Thursday before or after work at any time before 7:30 and I check in for a movie that I'm never going to watch like TMNT. Once I've checked in I walk up to the box office, order a ticket for the Friday showing of Finding Dory and swipe my card. Bingo bango I got a ticket for tomorrow night and I head home. Then we head out to the movies, we get there after the 24 hour window has finished, I check in for Finding Dory at 7:30, buy a ticket and we both got to see the movie for 'free'.

I then do the same thing for the Jungle Book except this time with Tarzan instead of TMNT (cause you can only see each movie once).

The real fun part is that you can also still get rewards points for all movie purchases. With Regal and Carmike this winds up doing pretty well for me. Now every time I go to see a movie I pretty much get a free drink or popcorn or something on top of the 'free' tickets.

>$30 a month.
>cancellation fees.

interesting idea but it just doesn't have enough entertainment value. This adds up to $360 usd a year. plug that into a digital environment like steam and after 2 months you've already saved money and can then spend the other $300 buying things that taste good. Not to mention with how prevelant pirating or streaming things is with how easy it is...

The movie industry is sinking fast for alot of reasons.

OOYYY VOYYY YOUNG PEOPLE PLS WATCH OUR SHIT-FLICKS PLSSSS.

There would have to be enough decent movies coming out each month to do it. Ideally, I'd see two movies a month, and that would come out to be cheaper than 30 bucks anyway.

Seems like it might be worth it for summer capeshit season with all three main capeshit studios now shitting 2-3 a month out now, but other than that ehhhh

Be a good way to go on discount Tindr dates tho

Well tickets are like $15 where i live so if i go 3 times i get my monies worth.

I would buy a subscription for sure