Why should a person use Spotify ?

why should a person use Spotify ?

Other urls found in this thread:

npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality
support.spotify.com/us/account_payment_help/subscription_information/full-list-of-territories-where-spotify-is-available/
informationisbeautiful.net/2010/how-much-do-music-artists-earn-online/
theguardian.com/technology/2015/apr/03/how-much-musicians-make-spotify-itunes-youtube
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why should a person not?

because it's good

Has most albums you want to listen to. Is a good product over all.

Why would I not? It's cheap, I can have all the shit in the same place which I can listen on different devices and I don't have to go through hassle of pirating.

Spergs on Sup Forums are literally only ones that can't see Spotify's qualities.

i was a spotify-anti for the longest time until my friend let me borrow his premium thing for a while. i have my own now, it's dope

Literally doesn't have any of the music I listen to on it. Overpriced considering I can find the same exact songs on soundcloud and youtube. Useless service.

What kind of music do you listen to then? Spotify has tons of obscure shit.

You can listen to lots of music without having to go out and buy it all

why should i use Spotify instead of Soulseek ?

Some bands don't have (nearly) any of their music on YT and SC, such as the Beatles and Kendrick Lamar.

are you one of those >muh FLACs faggots

Morals, responsibility, the list goes on. By definition you are devaluing the music you claim to appreciate. Do you want to choose to stop violating people's rights or do you want to be forced to?

Spotify offers lossless

You shouldn't. TayTat is not on it.

i don't even know what the fuck that means. 192kbps and up from that there's literally no difference anyway that you can hear.

I love to use it in combination with Soulseek.
Not on Spotify? Soulseek. Even then, Spotify gives a shit ton of options for quick to access music. Especially on my phone.

>pirating
>a hassle
Pick one.

This, I listen to a lot of 90s indie/noise and almost everything is there. Their recommended/artist radio algorithm is great for finding new stuff too.

Only annoying aspect is certain albums inexplicably missing from artists.

If you're a poorfag then you can at least support your favorites just a little bit with some streams. Why would you steal?

It's convenient. When you're walking down the street and remember some artist that you haven't listened to in a while you can just play his/her/their stuff on Spotify VERY easily. Can you download shit from Soulseek when you're on the move?

Wide selection and good playlists for discovering new stuff which are created based on YOUR listening habits.

More of a hassle than typing a few letters to search bar and hitting the play button.

Yeah it's like how I love to use my textbooks in combination with cheating off the person next to me.

OP here. i'm considering migrating to Spotify, as i think the idea of semiphysical ownership of music is outdated, and i'm starting to get tired of looking at how much i've filled my hardware with stuffs i don't listen to anymore, and tidying my music folders, erasing etc etc, i think music should just be streaming so that it doesn't take up spaces anymore, as i also am considering changing to Macbook (which has a lot less storage).

but i still can't get over the fact that it's $10 per month.

It's free on desktop

>Why would you steal?
Stealing implies someone loses something
>inb4 "muh potenshul sales"
People who pirate music probably would not have bought it in the first place.

You can use the free version on desktop. There isn't much of a difference, just a 30-second ad every 5 songs or so.

elaborate?

yeah but it still feels limited compared to the premium

Ok then cheat, violate, etc. Why would you knowingly violate someone's rights? Are you a monster?

See .

I dont even get the ads. Am I using ad block or something? I swear I didn't do anything.

the free desktop version is alright but there are ads. with phone i think you have limited skips per hour and all of the stuff is played on shuffle

10 bucks is nothing for a month of unlimited access to practically all published music in history.

How is it 10 dollars? I pay 6.99 euros which equals 7.44 dollars.

Yeah, the mobile version is unusable free. They also occasionally change to another random musician. Was showing a friend Daniel Johnston and it went to Katy Perry, even though I had never listened to her on Spotify.

Free desktop is great though.

>unlimited access to practically all published music in history.
I think you're giving it a little too much credit.

That changes from country to country.
We pay 3.72 US dollars.

I think you replied to the wrong person.

Lucky bastards.

Hmm okay. Either way it's like this guy said

10 bucks is nothing to get access to such an amount of music.

i said practically, ie. it's very rare to not find what you're looking for

I think I did too.

Yeah, not living in a first world country really makes me lucky.

BUSTED

You can lie to your friends but can't lie to Spotify.

>Literally doesn't have any of the music I listen to on it

Don't worry, as far as I know Spotify has everything that Fantano and Pitchfork review so you should find everything you want to find ;)

It doesn't have Macintosh Plus - Floral Shoppe, which Fantano reviewed.

yeah but why would you listen to that

This

OP here. i just found out that it's actually Rp 60.000 in my country ($5). i think as soon as i get a job and my own credit card, i'll migrate to Spotify. can't use parents' money again.

i downloaded some mp3s the other day and i felt like a dinosaur

spotify is the way to go. would've loved to have it when i was younger!

>would've loved to have it when i was younger

Man, kids these days probably don't even understand what it was like to sit next to the radio ready to press that record button when your favorite song came on... and then the fucking DJ ruined everything by talking over the song.

No need to feel like a dinosaur. A lot of bands are on Bandcamp but not spotify . It lets you listen for free for awhile but then locks you out and you have to buy the file. I think the band decides how many times you can hear it free.

Or if the record store didn't have it then it basically didn't exist.

i started using soulseek
went to spotify because they had 3 months premium 1€
started using both
now i only use soulseek to get the few albums i wanna listen but are not on spotify, pretty happy overall

>and then the fucking DJ ruined everything by talking over the song.

I think that was the point. Record labels were terrified of bootlegging so DJs "watermarked" everything.

Yeah it's like how I study even more than I should for exams so if I don't know an answer I just copy it off the people around me. One time this guy got pissed and told me to quit and I just said stop me faggot. Last I heard of it. Lol such a beta pussy. Wtf does he care? We dont even have a grading curve. What a fucking autistic queer.

>Why should a person not?
Because not everyone likes renting music. Also, good luck listening to Spotify if you're in an area which doesn't have good network coverage.

npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

what cd died and the new trackers have pretty bad selection and i dont want to go through the ratio grind again

Spotify has offline access.

I don't think of it as renting at all. $120 for an entire year of countless albums. That same amount would allow me to literally own about 10 albums and that's even being generous. Cost analysis dictates that it's not renting.

BTFO

And apparently somebody is play in g some game. New Magnetic Fields got released but only for 12 hours so apparently if you downloaded it then you got it. I don't really see how that works since you aren't technically downloading but that's what someone here said.

Nevermind, spotify got magnetic fields again. I think it was just some agreement with npr while they streamed it so spotify yanked it for tbose few days.

You can have up to 3,333 songs available for offline listening, on a maximum of 3 different devices.

Note:You do need to go onto the internet at least once every 30 days to maintain your offline music settings.

Still not better than pirating.

It's better than pirating because it doesn't literally devalue the music you claim to appreciate.

Not to mention that it's not available worldwide.
support.spotify.com/us/account_payment_help/subscription_information/full-list-of-territories-where-spotify-is-available/

>It's better than pirating because it doesn't literally devalue the music you claim to appreciate.
What? What's that supposed to mean? Do you think that streaming services are the main source of income for musicians?
theguardian.com/technology/2015/apr/03/how-much-musicians-make-spotify-itunes-youtube

So everywhere apart from the middle east? I think they have bigger things to worry about than Spotify coverage.

Might wanna check out a dictionary while you're at it. Start with the word value.

>Everywhere apart from the Middle East

If I was going to read a dictionary, why would I start at the v-words? You might want to check out an alphabet. Start with the letter A.

Damn...

Furthers my point. All poverty or war ridden nations (bar Russia) that would rather be fed than have a spotify subscription.

>bar Russia
Russia in in poverty.

Sure. And it also furthers my point:

You can block the ads on the desktop.
>responsibility
To whom and for what?

Poor, not poverty.

Poverty is living with multiple other families in a tiny shack built from garbage like many people do in the CAPITAL of India.

See
And that's just for starters. Bandcamp literally nullifies the entire piracy debate if it could have even been called a debate. You are directly violating musicians because if they want you to have FLAC for free then they will provide it on Bandcamp. There is literally nothing to debate except how severe the consequences will be.

Than the most part of countries where Spotify is not available is slightly poor, not poverty-ridden.

you do realize that the most common criticism against Spotify is that it literally devalues the music, right?
they're fucking jews who don't pay shit to the artists

>There is literally nothing to debate except how severe the consequences will be.
My fucking sides
Never change, american normalfags

>not available in third world countries

shocking

You have no idea what youre talking about let alone the meaning of the words. Spotify has paid literally FIVE BILLION DOLLARS to copyright holders you have purchased the copyright from the musician for wind of money which is not really any of our business. What you are referring to is royalties. That is simply a different and additional payment. However even if it was 0.0001 cent per song then that is more than pirating it. Which is the question. Not comparing spotify to forcing a blind buy purchase which is what Drag City is doing for example because they feel Spotify devalues music. And they're wrong because they are part of a market whether they like it or not and markets are built on competition.

Fucking autocorrect

who have purchased....for undisclosed amounts of money

>Spotify devalues music
It literally fucking does, because normies like you refuse to do anything other than to stream it on your latest iphones while thinking your 0.00001 shekels are actually helping someone other than the corporate jews. And you have the gull to speak of """"morals"""". Fuck me. You better be a paid shill, because this is pathetic

Artists have never really made much from record sales though. Record labels, retailers, distribution, production team, everybody takes a cut. In fact artists put the least amount of work into the whole process that their low share is fair enough.

Merchandise, touring, guest appearances and branding in general is where the real money is.

>devalues the music
Spotify is very good at recommending new music to users, constant and free promotion is extremely valuable to smaller artists.

Again that is a royalty which is not the sum total of their payment. Not to mention Spotify is stopping the pay per play model anyway.

So Drag City has it right and everybody else has it wrong? Stop piracy by encouraging more piracy?

Oh and I'm sorry how many bandcamp albums have you bought that have been released this year? I've bought 3 and it would be more but I'm not running a blanket charity here. Maybe for some people though. If the album is on spotify then I'm not buying it unless there's something about the packaging I want. And if bandcamp isn't locking me out then I'm not paying. And if they're letting it stay up on YouTube then I'm not paying. Yes Spotify devalues music compared to Bandcamp but not piracy or blind buy.

Isn't in funny how this was so conveniently ignored?

Ok then after you look up what the word value means then look up the word royalty

So Drag City has it right and literally everybody else has it wrong? The official headquarters of Muppetcore has it all figured out while everyone else is clueless?

I download albums but use Spotify to "save" good tracks I like. Not gonna download single mp3s.

Keeping this in mind, the best course of action would be to buy physical copies of music encourage your friends to do the same. What would help the artists even more, would be going to their shows.
Muppetcore? What?

fuck buying cds lol, I never bought a cd in my life and I'm not going to pay so much shekels for a 1 fucking album that I can steal from the internet

you want my money? then start touring

your music cannot be streamed? I don't care or I will torrent it, either way you lose

You're clueless. Physical copies help record stores not musicians at least not any more than a file. Actually I would assume the file helps them more because there's less overhead of course.

If you are not intimately familiar with Drag City then you literally have no business having this conversation.

Are you referring to The Guardian when you use the term "Muppetcore"? Is their collaboration with Snowden not a good enough reason for you to trust them?

wat a loser, stop being a povo entitled gen Y turd

See

All right. Are you familiar with DGM?
>According to Fripp, DGM has aimed to be "a model of ethical business in an industry founded on exploitation, oiled by deceit, riven with theft and fueled by greed," according to Fripp.Its policy is that its artists retain all copyrights; consequently, even DGM's corporate logo is owned by its designer. The label was an early adopter of the digital download system. DGM's aims have been hailed as "exemplary", and the label has been credited with having expanded "the possibilities of experimental music" and having improved the environment for King Crimson.
Just because independent and fair record labels exist, it doesn't mean that majority of them share and adopt the same business practices which clearly shows.

And there's an issue of buying music from artists who are not longer alive. Who are you then supporting other than the record company executives and middle men? And in this day and age, having a record deal isn't a necessity.

royalties would fall under assets in an estate, so their family would getting the same split.