How smart is Sup Forums?

How smart is Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

climate.nasa.gov/news/2328/warming-seas-and-melting-ice-sheets/
physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae389.cfm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

neither, water expands when frozen so the water level would drop.
2/10 for making me reply

It would rise, I ain't lying

Water expands when frozen. Thus ice becomes less dense when frozen. Thus wnen the ice melts, the volumetric displacement decreases and you have a lowered water level.

So you're telling me that one water atom is smaller than one frozen ice atom? Get the fuck out.

my guess is that it would either get lower or stay at the same level because ice takes up more volume than water. might be retarded thoughh

when water freezes it gets another proton making it bigger. some people are so dumb

Stays the same. Water may expand when frozen, bit the icecubes are swimming for that exact reason and dont crowd out water arcording to their whole volume, but only the volume that is actually in the water.
It's pretty simple if you think about it idiots.

No ur rong its actually wehn water gets a boner so it gents bigger u dum fuk

Apply what you guys learn here, to the polar ice caps melting.

are you retarded?

your a idiot I sincerely hope you know that.
penises shrink when they get cold so the water's penis couldn't get a boner. also female water can't get boners , intellectual checkmate.

it remains the same due to the mass of the ice. when the ice melts, the mass does not disappear, it also doesn't add more. it will stay the same. think of it this way, the matter that is made up of ice is the same amount of matter that the water had that made the ice. stay in school cunts

volume /= to mass

No, just not good at speaking english. Tell me which part you didnt understand.

>Ice melts, water level stays the same
What is displacement? srsly faggots

Wtf do u even physics, whatur is the strongest metal on earth it cant melt. It will obviously rise because tides. And btw earth is flat so moon isnt affecing the tides. Educate urself, also fucking magnets how do they work

bro, if it lowers, where did the fucking water that made the ice go? and if it raises, where did the extra water come from?

also mass escapes through the air trapped in the ice.

good catch, thanks user

Immediate descent into autism. Well done faggots.

THAT'S THE WORD I WAS LOOKING FOR

Water level decreases, water captures air as it solidifies and conversely that air is released as it melts. Thus the volume per mass of ice is greater than the volume of mass of water in standard atmospheric conditions.

Good, now fucking magnets hoa do they work

your all retards the ice freezes the water making it expand then break the glass.

this guy gets it, displacement is the key to the level not changing

It rises. More atoms in a cm^3 of ice that water. So when it melts the atoms spread out more meaning the water level rises but not by a very large amount as the density of water and ice are very simmilar

Nah he's wrong. Why? Tides, magnets, aliens, illuminati, niggers, jews, lizzard people, bush, obama

If you put something with a smaller density into a liquid with higher density it will swim. If it's the same material just in another aggregate condition the liquid will stay on the same level since the ice will always swim in a way that it doesnt displace the water enough to make the waterlevel rise when it melts. That's because of it's density. Icecubes are never on the bottom of a filled glass right?

But some of the ice is above the water line.

magnets have a large amount of miniature hooks that shoot out and pull metal towards them. they only pull iron, cobalt, nickle and other rare earth metals, because they are the only materials they can make more hooks out of.

>Icecubes are never on the bottom of a filled glass right?
they are if they get stuck to the bottom

It would depend on whether the ice cubes are interacting with the side of the glass which would make the volume of the cubes negligible. If they are touching the side then it could be piled much higher without causing the water level to change in accordance with the ice cube volumes. Insufficient information to make a logical inference.

only if cubes were fully submerged but as the amount of the cube above the level is not part of the water level but the cube displaces its own volume in order to be buoyant the level will remain essentially the same when they melt. the drop due to reduced density of the frozen water is brought back up by the cube that is above the meniscus

Dont talk shit, try it. You are probably a victim of american education. You think you know shit but you didnt understand the easiest concepts.

wather expands but weights the same.

and your point is?

the ice is less dense than water because of the trapped air inside it so when it melts the air would leave making it lower

You're wrong water is denser than ice, that's why ice float and one of the property that makes water suitable for life even when it's freezing.
So the right answer is not here, I think the water should slightly decrease

>can't even explain how magnets work.

Ffs it would decrease.. Thanks for not giving me that choice though OP 0/10

>water gets lower because niggers.

damn dirty thieving degenerates

It expands and breaks the glass.

Go try it :^)

Water is not an atom, it's a molecule. Off yourself.

this guy knows what's up.

oh boy

Damn im roasted, but i think you might have failed to see the sarcasm in my post. Even if i was a victim to the horrific american educational sistem i think i would still be able to spell out water properly instead of wathur. I was pointing out the stupidity of this post, and its fifth grade physics knowledge, but wtf do i know

on a serious note my grandma of 80 years told me that i better drink up quick else the ice will melt and spill on her floor

im not from an educated family.. UK has failed me

I know it's a fuckin meme dude but for real:
What if magnets actually had black holes in their centre? I mean, their electromagnetic field overcomes Earth's, and they seem to be incredibly strong in terms of attraction - yes, it has been theorised that black holes are powered by magnetism. There's this video where a disgruntled scientist hold up a spinning gyroscope 45 degrees to the tangent of a cylindrical neodymium magnet's circumference and it just magically stops within seconds, whereas when held to any other point on the magnet it spins as it would normally.

>Damn im roasted,
Why does every faggot need to explain to the world that they fucking smoke?

Everything contracts when it gets cold you fucking moron

But what would happen to the energy that goes into the magnets(black holes)? Does it just power them more?

To explain their current situation in order for the following text to remain contextual.

Ice cubes take up space
When it melts
That space is filled with the same amount of particles
I:E water level stays the same

no u

Not ice, Ice is 4% larger than water

Nope
Water expands
Freeze a water bottle to see
Why?
Air
Ice is less dense than water, that's why it floats

If I wasn't so high right now I'd explain it to you

From the current theories we have, I think it's safe to say that because the centre of a black hole is so infinitely dense, then it must be creating - literally creating, not converting - it's own energy.

not the guy you were responding to but yeah. Everything contracts when it gets cold. Yet when Ice freezes the crystalline structure causes it to expand more than it contracts due to being cold.

Basically a gas would become more dense as it gets cold - ice becomes less dense.

anyways the water level would remain the same - what I said has nothing to do with the water level changing.

water raises

I just tried this in my kitchen. Water level went up.

If ice evaporate, water level will be lower since 98% of icebergs are underwater.

Water expands when it freezes because of the molecular structure of water.

When water freezes, the molecules form a network of hydrogen bonds or a process called hydrogen bonding. These hydrogen bonds have a unique structure wherein two oxygen atoms and one hydrogen atom form one line.

Although the frozen water is considered as solidified, it also has a very open crystalline structure with a lot of spaces inside, making it less dense that most solids, and even some liquids such as liquid water.

It is because of this crystalline structure that after reaching its freezing point, water expands by about nine percent.

Since artic has been melting and water level of oceans rising, water will rise when you add more water to it, frozen or not.

the melting artic is raising the level cause the glaciers ARE ON LAND, fucking dufus

don't need to be a scientist to disprove this but im sure almost everyone here has seen what happens when you put a sealed beer bottle or can inside a freezer for too long.

this makes sense to me but in real world physics none of these ice cubes would actually be sitting out of the water and floating like this

Exactly, water falling/melting off land raises water levels.

/thread.

it would rise cos ice is just water frozen yo

you fucklords have been arguing over this for an hour. Why not go get a glass from mom's kitchen. Fill it full of ice. One of the trays next to your precious tendies. Fill with water, and mark with a sharpie that you had up your ass last thread and find out definitively what indeed happens. You all might fucking learn something. But no you'd rather sit here and REEEEE at each other.

Hey shut up fag

climate.nasa.gov/news/2328/warming-seas-and-melting-ice-sheets/

Out of Tendies, or GBPs?

Thank you . I was starting to get annoyed by all of the uneducated responses in here. Seriously people, pay attention in chemistry class.

Most likely both. It tendies to be that way with most britfags

Reported for not contributing anything to the thread

Water level rises slightly duh. Wtf kind of question is this?

Sup Forums breaks down the scientific method

i copied in pasted that from a website. funny thing, i remember learning in class that when water freezes it expands, but my teacher said it was because of the air trapped inside. my assumption was correct, but for the wrong reasons.

if this thread never happened I wouldn't know better.

water level stays the same.
since ice is lighter than liquid water because it expands when frozen it would be clear that the amount it expended would be above the water level. thus not changing the water level

Other than perhaps a tiny difference due to things being more complicated than you normally think of them as being, the water level stays the same.

level stays the same cause google said so--physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae389.cfm

You are all wrong. The ice cubes are placed on the picture so that the glass is holding cubes in place so theyre not floating, hence when melted the water level rises

it doesn't matter. we're still going to argue about it like a bunch of fuck lords

>ice floating in water
>ice on top of drop land
>same thing

k.

The water level rises slightly. This is because the ice cubes displace water equal to the downward force. We think of gravity as being constant, but it isn't. Even an inch of extra elevation decreases gravity. So the part of the ice above the water's surface weighs slightly less than water at the surface. Thus it displaces slightly less water than it is made of.

Someone cap this retard.
And include me.

Irrelevant to my post.

That's an approximation made by a non-pedant. Did you not read my answer or are you too stupid to understand it?

The guy posting that link is clearly an idiot.