What does Sup Forums think of Stevie Ray Vaughn?

What does Sup Forums think of Stevie Ray Vaughn?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o8K388qYyYw
youtube.com/watch?v=i5sqJNFFwqc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Overrated in part because he died young, although I can kind of see how his stripped-down blues rock was a refreshing change of pace from the Los Angeles spandex antics that dominated the Reagan years.

In my opinion he is the best guitar man in the history. His skill is so fucking amazing

youtube.com/watch?v=o8K388qYyYw

Not really.

Texas Flood [Epic, 1983]

People who think white guitarists with the blues are the essence of rock and roll never fully account for Alvin Lee, not to mention Robin Trower. I think rock and roll's essence inheres in momentum and song form, and find my attention wandering after the kickoff originals "Love Struck Baby" and "Pride and Joy." B

Couldn't Stand the Weather [Epic, 1984]

The problem with guitar virtuosos is that most of them wouldn't know a good musical concept if they tripped over it, which happens just often enough to keep everyone confused. The exception that proves not a damn thing is Jimi Hendrix, the finest guitarist in any idiom ever. Though he comes close sometimes, this Texan ain't Hendrix. But between earned Jimi cover and lyric refreshment, album two is almost everything a reasonable person might hope from him: a roadhouse album with gargantuan sonic imagination. B+

Soul to Soul [Epic, 1985]

All right, all right--he's a great guitarist, and an intermittently commanding vocalist. Unlike most Hendrixites he can step a sharp shuffle, and unlike most Texas boogiemen he's a great guitarist. But he's still not a great or even commanding artist, because the classic album he has in him, Jimi Boogies, keeps getting ruined by installments of Stevie Ray Shows Off. This moves along right nice, especially on side two--until Vaughan elects to close with a long slow soulful one that only gets going with a Hendrix coda. B+

His shit just sounds like generic redneck rock to me.

Because it is

He's definitely talented. Blues-rock tends to bore me most the time, it's good in small doses.

Shame that Clapton murdered him.

He's quite possibly the greatest instrumentalist in blues

And has the best guitar tone that I ever heard

Do people think it's just a coincidence that Clapton was supposed to meet with Hendrix the night he died and Clapton played a gig with Stevie Ray the night he died?

It's pretty obviously who's really responsible for their deaths, Eric doesn't like other guitarists stealing his spotlight.

How did he do it though? Hired a suicidal helicopter pilot and gave him a pep talk? Fogged up the windows?

It was and I do agree that SRV was a voice to a lot of heartland Americans who couldn't relate to LA glam rock.

'Specially because Clapton was a phoney-ass upper middle class English boy who was never blue in his life.

Everything about SRV should make him a darling of Sup Forums, but every time anything about him is posted the overwhelming response is either negative or meh.

>And has the best guitar tone that I ever heard

He played super-aggressively with really heavy strings. There's a good chance that had he lived longer, he would have really fucked his hands.

SRV's too redneck for this board full of nu male hipsters.

I appreciate his talent and how he renewed interest in blues without compromising too much, but personally I find him pretty boring after a couple of songs. Moreso than other blues musicians.

Not to mention his style and tone has completely hijacked mainstream blues for nearly 40 years, which has only lead to the genre becoming even more generic and repetitive. Not his fault obviously, just an annoying byproduct.

>guitar man

So just like how Pantera's sound has hijacked metal for decades.

his tone is just a strat with heavy strings, a big clean tube amp, and tube screamers

it's nothing special and i'm really sick of people talking about his tone like he did something special

>Everything about SRV should make him a darling of Sup Forums
what would that be? the hat? sore hand?

uga uga

I feel like once you've heard one song from him you've heard them all and his best stuff is covers. Could have used some better songwriting skills and a wider variety of songs.

His cover of Voodoo Child is more clean and structured than the Hendrix original, but it's good in its own way. Also the production on Couldn't Stand The Weather is fantastic, probably one of the best-sounding guitar albums I've ever heard.

>muh heavy strings
>muh speshul overwound pups
>muh Texas blues

Overrated white guy. John Cougar Melloncamp tier bland "rock".

I met SRV about a year before he died. He was a really pleasant and polite guy, took the time to talk to all the fans who waited backstage, signed autographs for everyone. He had a handshake that nearly broke my hand.

He made the best little wing. Other than that, I don't reallly get it.

>blues
>"redneck"
>"rock"

kill yourself my man

Looking at earlier Strat players like Clapton or Buddy Guy, SRV's tone is quite different. Other players began imitating him and using identical gear. I can't think of a single more imitated blues guitarist today, in terms of gear.

And I'm not even criticizing SRV, just the legions of imitators who suck the fun out of blues jams by playing Pride and Joy note for note.

You can look at the OP pic, he had some pretty beefy arms.

James Hetfield is pretty buff as well. I guess decades of grinding the axe builds up some muscle.

But he did

Playing those songs with a set of heavy strings is nearly impossible for most humans

I find SRV to be predictably formulaic, far too dependant on rote blues structure and repetitive to a fault. Being boring is a deal killer for me. Dude had chops though. But that by itself won't hold my interest for long.

He would have to soak his hands in warm water after performing. Like I said, if he'd lived longer he probably would have suffered some pretty serious hand damage.

his style is infectious. I found its influence creeping into my blues playing without actively trying to do it over the years

there's this one specific lick he uses over and over and over in every fucking song and it drives me insane

he superglued his finger tips because his nails would pull away from the skin due to bending those strings, i think most people don't want to do crap like that just to play with heavier strings

He was getting more feel to his music after going through rehab, but then he died right afterwards. Shame.

t est

Yes.

When he did the duet with Albert King (who always said there's more to the blues than playing fast and loud), a lot of smart-ass dudes in their 20s were all like "Who the fuck is this old guy and why is he preaching to Steve about how to play the blues? Steve already rules!"

Did he die because his string gauge was huge?

Nigger had 13s in his strat. What is this shit? You trying to superman that ho? Do you even lift, nigga?

Try getting on a helicopter ride in bad weather...

Nowadays both BB King and Billy Gibbons play with 8s and they haven't died in any helicopter crashes either.

theyll be fine

In my eyes the best fucking guitarist ever. Period.

He was my grandpa's cousin or something.
He's alright

BB King died like two years ago.

I liked his work on Bowie's Let's Dance, particularly the title track, the Criminal World cover, and the reworking of Cat People

Maybe the Copter wouldn't have crashed if it had less weight on board.

>and unlike most Texas boogiemen he's a great guitarist

I know that Christgau was not a big fan of Johnny Winter or Freddie King.

That guy abused wah-wah pedals worse than Kirk Hammett.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiet

Ripperonies.

Eh...

He is a discount hendrix who in turn is a discount Eric Clapton.

low quality b8

he wasn't as sloppy or noisy as Hendrix and Clapton is shit fuck you

Well, yeah. His cover of Voodoo Child is very tight and almost laboratory clean compared with the Hendrix original.

Lenny is the only song of his that I've heard and liked.

As good as his chops were his real value was in his groove and vibe...dude just oozed feel and touch.

It just too much to handle for some when he combines that with a rapid fire delivery.

People who cant be moved by SRV are just dead inside.

Hendrix wasn't a virtuoso. What a moron.

>Eric doesn't like other guitarists stealing his spotlight.

Did he kill Duane too?

bullshit. unrequited love can make you blue.

...not to mention losing a son...but whatever.

>People who cant be moved by SRV are just dead inside.

moved by what, a bunch of recycled butt blooze licks?

Does it count when you pushed your son out of a window while high? :^)

Clapton isn't sloppy or noisy at all. And Hendrix's rough, raw style is what makes him so great.

Yeah I mean, Albert King had said in one of his last interviews that SRV's death was too bad, because he was just starting to "get" the blues in his last 2-1/2 years.

Yes, Clapton was driving the truck that Duane swerved to avoid causing him to crash. He also killed his son because he didn't want him to grow up to be a better guitarist.

So...you are dead inside?

Moved by good music played extraordinary well.

I get it - your too cool for school and cant possibly admit that boring ol blues is comfy music that feels good to a lot of people....you can only be satisfied by the utmost of avant-garde and extraordinarily complex music that plebs will never "get" . Damn you're edgy.

KYS.

Nice copypaste.

damn. Derek Trucks better look out.

wtf? not pasta at all.

but highly accurate nonetheless.

Seriously, this is a problem that needs to be addressed. Clapton is a madman and a murderer and needs to be stopped.

>Post war England
>drug addiction
>tragic death of child

But he's not black, so fuck him.

>As good as his chops were his real value was in his groove and vibe

This.

this has nothing to do with "too many notes" or recycled blues licks...this is just pure emotion. Its brilliant.

youtube.com/watch?v=i5sqJNFFwqc

SRV was much much much better live than in the studio, just like Hendrix.

A great guitarist that lived fast and hard and had a great live show. Anyone that doubts his talent needs to watch one of his live performances on youtube. Gone much too soon, RIP

You lucky bastard.

>Overrated white guy
>white
Wow racist much? You're such a faggot.

I know what you're talking about, it's the Chuck Berry/Hendrix riff.

lightyears better than i'll ever be, but i don't particularly like his music.

I saw him several times. He never failed to leave a smile on my face. As someone else said- his groove was infectious. If you dont like foot-stompin' music you prolly wont like him...but if you dont like foot stompin' music then you are a tool.

He's a legend here in Dallas. I think my parents went to see him live like three times. I think they said he broke a string during the show and he just kept playing while a roadie fixed it. I'm not a huge fan, but some of his stuff's alright.