/doc/-DOCUMENTARIES

I just watched pic related and it's the most frustratingly hilarious doc (or movie) I have seen. What documentaries are on your god-tier list that I need to see right now? Discuss documentaries in this documentary thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iOBXuCYB4jQ
youtube.com/watch?v=WHyvRHrYYBA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_ANT_catalog
nfb.ca/film/the_back-breaking_leaf/
nfb.ca/film/the_days_before_christmas/
nfb.ca/film/buster_keaton_rides_again/
nfb.ca/film/lonely_boy/
nfb.ca/film/country_threshing/
meadesshrine.blogspot.com
youtu.be/Yn3hS8CLyvQ
youtube.com/watch?v=eJ3RzGoQC4s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

go watch dark days

This doc is really not that good. I don't get why people always recommend it. The DJ Shadow soundtrack is near and the cinematography is alright but the content is extremely redundant and more exploitative than enlightening.

Anvil: the story of anvil

*is neat

What We Do In The Shadows

Pic related, I saw it at the local film festival a few years back and it was amazing.

meh i just think homeless people are interesting. if there's a doc that covers that better id love to hear some suggestions.

and for OP, theres until the light takes us. because im a metalhead loser as well.

It gets stressful to watch not because of being triggered but because it really does get stressful.

10/10 sound mixing

180 south

Grizzly Man

Man On Wire

In the heart of darkness:making of apocalypse now

Overnight

Just watched Welcome to Leith. Interesting but it didn't really have much in the way of a narrative or ending though.

Resolved 2009

a documentary on high school and entry college debate teams.

features rich white highschool twats from across the country being culturally enriched from two melatonin rich kids from the urban enviroment of long beach california

its goldmine, would recommend watching on any illegal substances 10/10

Citizenfour
The Qatsi trilogy
Baraka
Samsara
The Act of Killing
Blackfish
Grizzly Man
Chasing Ice
Waste Land
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Collapse
Particle Fever
Transcendant Man
Dear Mr Watterson

WATCH THE IMPOSTER
>WATCH THE IMPOSTER

WATCH THE IMPOSTER
>WATCH THE IMPOSTER

WATCH THE IMPOSTER
>WATCH THE IMPOSTER

WATCH THE IMPOSTER
>WATCH THE IMPOSTER

WATCH THE IMPOSTER
>WATCH THE IMPOSTER

Cave of Forgotten Dreams, and...

>Grizzly Man

>Grizzly Man

I haven't seen any of these but they're on my list of films to watch:

Visitors
Manufactured Landscapes
Leviathan
Our Daily Bread
Cave Of Forgotten Dreams
Magic Trip
Life Itself
Finding Vivian Maier
Hoop Dreams
First Position
The Invisible War
Fat Sick And Nearly Dead
Room 237
The Cove

The King of Kong
Inside Job
Touching the Void
Restrepo
Crumb
Sicko

>until the light takes us
Pretty interesting, even if you are not a real metalhead, like myself.

Easier Said Than Done
Hold Fast

Wasn't Exit Through the Gift Show all staged?

Also Dear Zachary was pretty good and will make you hate women more than you already do.

GREY GARDENS

Theres one about that woman who faked being in 9/11.

Cant remember the name but if you liked the imposter look it up

When is Theroux's documentary coming out?

>The Act of Killing
Incredibly over rated imo

Has anyone seen this yet? Looks weird as fuck.

Super Size Me
Super High Me

Any good sports documentaries? So far the best one I've seen was Senna. Trophy Kids was really depressing but I still enjoyed it.

Almost forget

Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters

Easily one of the best docs I've ever watched, it has tragic story, nerdiness and a movie like showdown where the underdog comes out and faces the douche that took his title unfairly and he does so in a glorious manly way. There's the story of the old king trying to reclaim his space.

Only annoying moments: The way they had to pointout one chick was a lesbo just to highlight diversity and the poker game where a dude completely empty his pocket of ALL the pasta therein.

Please do yourself a favour and watch this, I can't stress that enough.

Parts of it are real and parts are staged. It's a documentary and a funny joke about the world itself. Just like all of his work

Indoctrinate U
Here's the full movie: youtube.com/watch?v=WHyvRHrYYBA

thx for the tip user

I thought the 30 for 30 series was pretty solid. Yes there are a few misses but most are pretty good.

Starter Pack:
The U: Part 1
Reggie Miller vs The Knicks
War Eagle/Roll Tide
June 17th 1994 (personal favorite: shot without any interviews, only footage from that day)
Pony Excess
Once Brothers
Bad Boys
Elway to Marino

I haven't seen any of these, but you could check out:

Sunshine Superman
Hoop Dreams
The Tillman Story (may be more war related)
Bigger Stronger Faster (about steroids)
Brooklyn Castle (if you consider chess a sport)
Murderball
Zidane

Anything by Adam Curtis

Nostalgia de la luz

Manufactured Landscapes

The ARTE Architecture series

Edited:
Also "Fantastic Lies"

Story about the Duke Lacrosse rape scandal.

The Woman Who Wasn't There is the 9/11 documentary you're talking about. It's pretty good.

Basically anything by Ken Burns, although that almost goes without saying at this point.

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

Do I have to watch 1 Minute That Changed America all the way through to 101 Minutes That Changed America first?

A few of the elements were clearly exaggerated for artistic purposes, but it's overall very entertaining. Especially if you're familiar with both American and Russian TV.

I honestly don't like his style. It gets very tiresome after a while

I forget how often American shows get foreign made adaptations, it's weird.

More like CitizenBORE

I get that it captured a likely historic moment on camera, but otherwise it was basically about nothing. If you read any of the news on the day the scandal happened then this movie will provide almost no new information.

I really like Sole Man about how shoe companies wormed their way into professional sports in such a cataclysmic manner.
Also Silly Little Game which was about the first Fantasy Baseball leagues was amusing, that no-one involved made any money at all from what's now a billion dollar industry was kind of sad, that the guy who invented the entire concept of Fantasy Leagues has never won a single league in his life was kind of hilarious.
Also The Band That Wouldn't Die about the Baltimore Ravens Marching Band during the years the city didn't have a football team was really uplifting in a weird way.

It makes perfect sense, actually. Why risk making something new when you can reuse something already proven to work?

I guess Citizenfour is a little boring, and there doesn't need to be so many scenes of Snowden grooming himself in a mirror, but Snowden basically risked his life to do what he did, and to teach a journalist how to use TOR and encryption and all those things. And the film marks the time when he went on the run from his own government.

What "scandal" are you talking about? The Snowden leaks?

And Snowden didn't release the following AFAIK, but this shit is scary as hell:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_ANT_catalog

The Marinovich Project was also great

I wanna watch it, but I cant find a torrent anywhere, and it's not playing at any theaters near me.

I hope not, also I love dear Zachary
Same
I'm gonna do this one
I'll try, is it like indie game?

Just watched this today on vimeo, it's quite fascinating, watched the whole thing in one sitting

Watched this the other day, it felt way too shallow and this is why I don't like documents that aren't series. It was just surface level scratch at any of its topics it introduced.

one of them was faked and the other one is lmao weed dude

I take it you didn't enjoy that documentary. Yeah, fair enough, well done. I'm here to tell you that it doesn't matter that you didn't like it. Presumably you read some description of what it'd be about. The mere fact that you were willing to try it is a testament to your character. You're reddit, plain and simple. Watching a Banksy documentary is no better than watching one on Aaron Swartz. Being reddit is honestly fine, I talk to people who use reddit all the time. The problem here is that you're posting on Sup Forums outside of a GoT thread. How can I say this? I guess you just don't quite fit. And by that I mean we all fucking despise you and think your opinions can only do harm to our comfy little board.

Fuck right off please.

I like Doug Benson. Although I'm not going to defend Chronic-Con, Episode 420: A New Dope (and I haven't seen it).

And although not really documentaries, I like all his Getting Doug with High stage shows with multiple comedians vaping onstage.

Go to bed Banksy

When We Were Kings

I found The Back-breaking Leaf, about tobacco farming in Ontario pretty interesting, possibly because I am an Ontarian. I like the time capsule nature of many of these old NFB docs. Here are a few of my favourites, all streaming for free on the National Film Board of Canada site:

nfb.ca/film/the_back-breaking_leaf/
nfb.ca/film/the_days_before_christmas/
nfb.ca/film/buster_keaton_rides_again/
nfb.ca/film/lonely_boy/
nfb.ca/film/country_threshing/

>Dear Mr Watterson
Everyone can go ahead and skip this. It falls prey to the increasingly irritating sin of the director inserting himself into the film. Instead of a reasoned study about the history and impact of Calvin & Hobbes, the dumbshit asshole who directed this felt like it had to be about HIS experience with Calvin & Hobbes. Fuck off, no one cares, the story you're trying to tell is not about you.

Also dissapointed that Harlan County USA hasn't been mentioned yet, it's one of the best movies, documentary or not, that I've ever seen. It's about a coal miners' strike in rural Kentucky in the early 1970's.

The Grey Gardens rec earlier is legit, would also recommend Salesman, by the same guys who did Grey Gardens (the Maysles Brothers) which is about the day-to-day lives of door to door bible salesman.

I didn't think Dear Mr. Watterson was all that great, it's a huge nostalgiajerk and the filmmaker is annoying, but I guess it's the best (only) documentary about Calvin & Hobbes out there.

Oh there's so many! From The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner, to How Much Wood Would a Woodchuck Chuck, to Huie's Sermon, to Gesualdo: Death for Five Voices, the list goes on and on!

(I didn't realize how many documentaries Herzog has done.)

Pretty much anything with Jonathan Meades in it. It's a le quirky man talking about architecture and even politics related to architecture. He seems to take a joy in verbally pissing on everybody in an erudite passive-aggressive way.

A good start would The Joy of Essex.
meadesshrine.blogspot.com

Indie Game: The Movie is so good

Did anyone see Tickled?
looks fucked up

How has nobody posted this masterpiece yet?

WHat the fuck?

same

WATCH THIS RIGHT NOW OP

The trailer is putting me off.
Murrican documentaries seem to love inserting themselves into the story and having an answer before they even start filming.

Does this involve a lot of that?

Seconding Jiro Dreams of Sushi, really motivating and beautiful film

That doc is great and so is Sick, but Kirby Dick is a massive fag.

Also, this one is fantastic documentary on filmmaking

Intellectual merit aside, Moore documentaries are very well made and entertaining, in my experience.
Also Canadian Bacon was funny when I saw it (some time ago).

HERZOG
E
R
Z
O
G

Is that where the niggers just speed read complete nonsense gibberish?

Well he's not going to reveal classified information to documentary filmmakers. Then when they release the film they will be wanted for treason just like him

Herzog documentaries, I specially like "Mein liebster Feind", if you can call thay a documentary. Its about his relation with Klaus Kinski.
youtu.be/Yn3hS8CLyvQ
First scene should be enough to get anyone hooked.

Two not mentioned here yet:
The Cove
The City Dark

Favourite sports documentary

this is the best one I've seen so far.

youtube.com/watch?v=eJ3RzGoQC4s

very mind-blowing but also very comfy.

Looks good. Thanks m80

thanks 4 the rec im going to check the one about futurist architecture l8r

>it will make you hate women more than you already do
This is a blatant lie, fuck you. The grandmother of Zachary is such a cool, great person.