Do American blacks really speak broken English?

Do American blacks really speak broken English?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B-Cg8nKdhlk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Register_(sociolinguistics)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They've been living in the US for around 300 years so probably not.
If you mean African Diaspora then yes.

it tends to be the poorer ones who are stuck with ebonics, you get a weird thing where the wealthier ones can go back and forth between dialects

if you know english it's still understanable, but the way the grammar is often mistakenly past tense and plural might be confusing for someone learning
youtube.com/watch?v=B-Cg8nKdhlk

No one uses the term Ebonics idiot.

it's the accepted word for it
black pigdin makes more sense but it's 'racist'

listen to hip hop and tell me

AYO
HOL UP
SO YUZ BE SAYIN
NIGGAS CAN'T SPEAK ENGLISH?

No, they speak a specific dialect of English.

>dialect
It's called a register: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Register_(sociolinguistics)

Only the poor ghetto ones

No its not it's AAVE idiot. It's a dialect not a pidgin, do you even know what a pidgin is at all?

Yes, and I don't understand it.

How do you get AXE from ask?

Nah a lot of people code switch.

>do you even know what a pidgin is at all?

A bird that poor people eat?

No, they just have their own family of English dialects which are regionally and ethnically insular

yalll ignant
try axing more politely next time senpai

oh so thats the word that filters to senpai

yes, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't heard it myself while visiting the US, had to really make an effort no burst laughing in their faces every time a negro spoke to me

>Do American blacks really speak broken English?

No, broken English is something non-native English speakers use. Where they only know just enough words to struggle piecing together a coherent sentence.

>it tends to be the poorer ones who are stuck with ebonics, you get a weird thing where the wealthier ones can go back and forth between dialects

Code switching is indeed a thing but ebonics or AAVE isn't broken, or improper English at all.

You know OJ didn't kill Nicole, it was his son, he asked if he could borrow the car, and OJ said "i don't know, go axe your mom"

Yes. it's called Bix Nood

they just have their own dialect. Some of them genuinely are retarded and basically illiterate but I don't see anything wrong with speaking a dialect. Many other English speakers do it and it's considered quirky and interesting but for some reason when nignogs do it it's bad.

More like Ebonics. People like snoop dog tried making it their official language.

they do it ironically

their parents and their peers don't so most likely they have the ability to switch as well

obviously word choice and usage might differ but on a whole "ebonics" is a sub-cultural phenomenon, not really a language of a different people

Snoops shizzel nizzle bs doesn't count as AAVE, It was more of a silly slang or fad he picked up from E-40. No black people spoke like that unless they were trying to be funny.

Truth. Some of the dialects and accents of the U.K. are just barely understandable at times but no one ever shits on their vernacular.

I actually kind of respect them for it, even if I disapprove of them for pretty much everything else. I'm a fan of accents and it's painful to watch every other category of American drop their regional accents in favor of that TV shit. Same thing with the UK. But in the case of American blacks mass media and the internet has only made the their dialect more prevalent and different from standard English.

Uneducated blacks from poverty? Yes
They have a really big hood culture there.

>they do it ironically

Broken English is English as spoken by someone who has almost no experience with the language. It might involve misspelled or out of place words, or use another language's syntax. Pic related is broken English.
Anyways, black people here tend to switch between AAVE/Ebonics and standard American English depending on who they're with. Like how you'd use slang with your friends but not in a formal setting.

>it's painful to watch every other category of American drop their regional accents in favor of that TV shit
Where are you watching it, on tv?

Why are you assuming I've never been to your country? Why would somebody that isn't decently travelled even be interested in this board?

Because i've been all over this country and i have never seen people trying to drop their regional accents, but a "neutral" accent is all over the TV and movies, regardless of where the show or movie is set.

Yes you do dumb nigger tripfag
Stupid smelly nigger monkey

There's a problem when you can meet people from Tennessee and Boston that sound identical though, that's not how it used to be. Are you really denying that dialects are dying out? It's blatantly obvious. It triggers me to no end.

I think Americans on tv and in Hollywood only drop or replace their accents specifically for TV and films. If you go back to their hometowns or states people still have regional accents.

>But in the case of American blacks mass media and the internet has only made the their dialect more prevalent and different from standard English.

Perk of being marginalized I guess. It's a case of nothing you ever do being liked or considered appropriate or proper so you just do what you want.

Yes i'm denying it, you're full of shit

you're objectively wrong though

To each other mostly.

I didn't say they're extinct, I said that they're being whittled down as generations come and go. It's probably the most visible effect of globalism there is.

>Work with a guy from Tennessee
>He and his brothers sound exactly the same as Oregonians
Spot on. His mom has a strong accent, at least.

>It's probably the most visible effect of globalism there is.

Language doesn't work like that though, the majority always wins.
It's not globalism if an american moves across the country to a new state. The people you encountered were most likely transplants between states or (un)intentionally code switching when speaking to you.

I'm not even sure why you're even arguing with him, you blatantly have your head in the sand. Just because you or your immediate circle of family and friends kept your accents doesn't mean the country is uniformly adopting that midwestern cuck TV accent at an alarming rate.

prove it

Just because you met two people who wanted to drop their southern accents so they can live without people constantly commenting on it and assuming they're slow backwards yokels or rednecks and ostracizing them for it doesn't mean that everyone is adopting a Midwestern Cuck TV accent, Do you not do any type of traveling through the country? People still have their accents everywhere.

How long has he been out of Tennessee, and how old was he when he left? if you move away from a place at a young enough age, you'll eventually adopt the accent of the place you moved to. I lived in Michigan until i was 16, moved to Indiana, 20 years later i sound like a Hoosier, with no trace of the northern vowel shift

Okay but he or I never said there are no regional accents anymore though, it's just a fact that they are declining. There was a time when if you went to Boston everybody you met would sound like a character from the Departed. Now it's like 40% of people with everybody else sounding like somebody from Ohio.

They're not declining and you're a tourist most likely hanging out in tourist traps. You're meeting people not originally from MA or Boston, or in some cases natives that "clean up" their accents to be easily understood.

People that are living in working in the downtown and trendy areas of my city don't always have a native accent you don't start hearing it until you leave those areas.

You're assuming a lot of shit about me. I'm from the South, family has been in the same state for centuries, and I see this a lot. It's even affected me, my accent is a lot more midwesternized than my parents and grandparents. It's not something I consciously did, it's just a product of growing up in a globalized world full of television and movies. If I try to speak any other way it feels forced. I'm not saying it's a good thing, it's just an observable fact among younger people, I think it's a terrible thing that's destroying the cultural mosaic of this country. Had no idea you're actually from Boston, I was just using it as an example, but if you still sound like Bill Burr then good on you for not being a victim of globalized mass consumer culture.

I'm not assuming anything about you. You made it sound like you were traveling to these places and using that as your evidence.

Not from Boston either but I'm from Baltimore another city with a very distinct accent.

I'm not even going to get into the globalization argument it's retarded and not true. It reeks of people constantly trying to make themselves a victim of some vague ever changing boogieman.

The fact that so many people refer to the midwestern accent as the standard American accent and refer to adopting it as "losing my accent" proves that it's not a boogeyman. It's a regional accent that became a national standard because it was deemed to be more understandable on early-mid 20th century TV and radio.