What does Sup Forums think about outsider music?

what does Sup Forums think about outsider music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rVpg2IrGwsk
youtube.com/watch?v=oV6MHZ-nyhs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Some is good, some is shamefully bad

I used to listen to outsider music all the time
A lot of it is really depressing, which may have something to do with me not listening to a lot of it anymore

like the beach boys? its alright

It's, well, shit.
Fun to listen to though.

I wouldn't describe the shaggs as outsider music. They're just a group of girls who were forced into writing and recording music by their overly strict parents. It's kinda sad to hear how much they want to impress them on tracks like "Who are Parents?".

Outsider music and art can be brilliant sometimes, but like says I'm not even sure if this could be classed as such. The music's bad and the context makes it worse

Outsider music is the shit fuck you guys

What the fuck is this shit? I just listened to a few songs and my ears are bleeding it was so bad. This is the worst thing I've ever heard.

gary wilson is top tier

sounds like a personal problem there bucko

>Outsider music is a genre

It's just exploitation music

Insane people like Brian Wilson have made music that is accepted as normal and mainstream, as have people from a DIY or non-music industry setting like the Velvet Underground on their first 3 albums. "Outsider music" only exists when the music can be paired with a crazy wives' tale about how dude weird lmao the artist is, like Daniel Johnston, Viper, or the Shaggs

First off, that's not what exploitation art refers to, and secondly exploitation art can be fucking amazing, why are you acting like it's inherently bad?

It can be good or bad or anywhere in between, but the whole fascination with it is akin to a freak show at the circus, basically like the /x/ of music. If I was more of a tumblrina I might say it's offensive because almost all of the artists are either insane or came from dire/painful circumstances. Regarding interpretation, I would say outsider music is better suited for Vice articles than music criticism

Also, I'm not sure if exploitation art is an already established term; that's just what I'm calling "outsider music" because that's what I think it really is

You're basically objecting to people with mental illness or something else that distances them from society making music. That's a hundred times more offensive in my mind. For many of these artists creating art is hugely therapeutic. They do it willingly. They are in no way being exploited. It's not anyone's fault but the listener's if they choose to listen to it only for the purpose of laughing or pointing fingers at the "freakshow".

Shaggs are a GOAT band better than the Beatles.

Nah you misunderstand, I don't object to their music, I object to the term "outsider music" and Daniel Johnston/the Shaggs/Wild Man Fischer being grouped together because they were both eccentric and had sad stories, despite making completely different music

>You're basically objecting to people with mental illness or something else that distances them from society making music
no hes criticizing the industry for exploiting them and the people who exoticize mental illness and poverty or fringes of society. not saying the music isnt good or that no one should listen to it just that you should be aware of the problematic circumstances that surround your interest in "outsider art"

Outsider art works really well when the artists is at least experienced with the culture and music, since they aren't experienced with playing it. The problem with PoTW is they were trying to be just a rock band in the same way a kid picks up a guitar nowadays and says "I wanna be a rockstar like slash". You have to know the intricacies of rock, pop and art culture before you can step up and try to play, either that or do your own thing

This is garage rock not outsider. All genuine garage rock is this sloppy and poorly composed. Albeit a classic, The Enfields I'm For Things You Do, for example, is far from a complex piece.

I just realized that I misenterpreted what outsider art was, sorry. I guess I'm just criticizing outsider art as a whole then, but I guess it can be cool

I love outsider music
youtube.com/watch?v=rVpg2IrGwsk

Outsider is one of those terms no one really gets right, the actual bands are super obscure so no ones heard of them and people just call anyone that's weird like Beefheart to be "outsider".

This is the shit
youtube.com/watch?v=oV6MHZ-nyhs