So I'm watching the Beach Boys: An American Family movie right now, it really is fucking awful

So I'm watching the Beach Boys: An American Family movie right now, it really is fucking awful.

Who do you think is a better Brian Wilson, Fred Weller (left) or Paul Dano in Love & Mercy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wGiQH0yMhow
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There's literally zero chance I would ever watch any of these movies because I have a modicum of class and taste, you fucking reprehensible pleb.

Paul Dano. They should have just done a whole movie with Dano was Brian. The Cusack scenes were complete shit.

What did be mean by this?

Agree but don't you think this hunky Jewish Captain America looking tall drink of water was a great Brian Wilson?

This fucking movie is the Mike Love Story. Holy shits in inaccurate.

You know how bad this movie is? It was written and produced by Mike Love or something to make himself look good, like he was the creative genius and leader of the Beach Boys, and he still
comes across like an unlikeable prick in the movie.

Forgot Muh pic.

I heard Brian Wilson's dad made him take a crockie in a cardboard box under the Christmas tree in front the entire family.

Dano. Weller's played him a bit like Brian Wilson now. All his enthusiasm seemed forced and like he was just playing along to make everyone happy, when it didn't get that bad until a few years in.

Paul Dano was the only good thing about Love & Mercy

>watching shitty tv movies about shitty one-hit wonder bands
no thanks

Does anyone know what this guy is talking about?

I didn't notice it until you said it, but I think you're right. His mannerisms and awkwardness are like Brian now, not how Brian was back then. It's a bizarre movie.

I just got to the part where Murry interrupts the I Get Around Recording and that's actually a good scene. Based on the famous audio of that actual argument.

I'm talking about how I'd rather not watch a shitty tv movie about a shitty one-hit wonder band

Yes, and we'd all like to hear all about it, will you please tell us more?

What more is there to know?

Are you legit autistic?

The Beach Boys: An American Family is schlocky Mike Love propaganda. If you want a good film that has some truth in it go watch Love and Mercy.

Paul Dano >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fred Weller

>made one of the most groundbreaking/influential albums of the 60s
>shitty one-hit wonder

>50+ years ago

If it was a big deal they would have made a movie about it then, this is literally a cheap ass propaganda piece to get sagging record sales going and to buy some trust fund teenagers a new pair of Kanyes or some shit. Biopics are trash, biopics about baby boomer heroes are viscerally toxic. Fucking. Kill. Yourself.

But what does that have to do with Paul Dano's casting or Brian's mannerisms.

Can anyone figure out what this guy is ranting up? To be quite perfectly honest I find it unlikely that anyone can.

Controversial opinion: their best album is actually All Summer Long and not Pet Sounds.

Yes, that's what I just said, I just fucking said that.

Why would someone make a movie about an album that bombed?

The Sunrays?

>If it was a big deal they would have made a movie about it then
This is one of the stupidest things I've ever read on here. By your logic countless historic albums are irrelevant.

I just got to the part of the movie where Brian begs Mike Love to write Good Vibrations for him. This is fucking abominable.

What actually happened was Tony or Van Dyke Parks wrote the lyrics, and then Mike rewrote the song against Brian's wishes.

>some director and writers decide to tell the story of a visionary songwriter who changed music forever
>"this is literally a cheap ass propaganda piece to get sagging record sales going and to buy some trust fund teenagers a new pair of Kanyes or some shit."
You sound like a bitter neckbeard.
>"Biopics are trash"
There are some incredible biopics, you tasteless pleb.

Here's my uncontroversial opinion:

Pet Sounds = SMiLE (The Smile Sessions version) > Today! > Love You > All Summer Long

Dano was a fucking peeerrrrrrfect Brian and I say this as a massive Beach Boys/Brian Wilson obsessive.

I'm glad someone else loves Today as much as I do, I think it's far superior to Summer Days and Summer Nights.

The thing about the Beach Boys is they started out good- they were very conservative of course, but groundbreaking in a conservative way, combining lite elements of surf rock (which was instrumental), early 60s rock (like Chuck Berry's singles) and the The Four Freshmen harmonies. So you start with this good little base of pop music, and gradually the music starts getting better and more sophisticated. The production got more elaborate and groundbreaking, the vocal harmonies more complex, but by the time of Today and Simmer Days and Summer Nights that groundbreaking production was in the service of simpleton idiotic lyrics from Mike Love and horrible novelty songs.

So you have this great production and manipulation of sound effects, but it's for a cheesy and embarrassing song about Salt Lake City, or the State Fair.

But when that production is used for a slow, soft song, a sad tune, it's great, even Mike's lyrics can't spoil it because it's not a novelty or a gimmick song.

I wish we could have rerecordings or rewrites of all of their novelty songs from 1964-1965, with the subjects of the songs changed. The instrumentals are great:

youtube.com/watch?v=wGiQH0yMhow

Yes, but he was too skinny, and it was weird that John Cusack, who did a great job acting (but was also too skinny) played him in the inferior half of the movie.

I don't get this modern thing of having multiple actors playing the same guy- the John Lennon musical with like 6 actors playing him, the I'm Not There Bob Dylan picture (although I suppose the point of that was to be as experimental and obtuse as a Bob Dylan song). Then Love And Mercy- doesn't that go against the point of acting and inhabiting a role?

It's like saying "this one person is such a legend that one person could never navigate the thousands of shades of nuance present in him, this person is too monumental and complex and important for just one actor to play him." First of all, that's idolatry. Second of all, it forgets that the people they're playing were in reality just men in the first place, just a regular dude who did extraordinary things, they're not Gods or Aliens. Third of all, no biopic's writing is every more complex and multi-faceted than roles actors have been playing for years- Hamlet, Macbeth, Lady Macbeth, Falstaff, King Lear, Marc Antony.

It's arrogance and pretentiousness on the part of the writer/director- they need to stop pretending they're writing more complex characters than fucking Shakespeare. John Lennon was not that complex.