Distortion Effects

For guitar pedals, what's the best? For theoretical setups with no price/rarity constraints and for the "average" guitar player? (inb4 have a good amp—yeah, we know, but that's for a different thread)

Also for recording, consider VST options, as well as how said effects might be useful for other instruments (namely synths and bass, but whatever else you might want to use it for, really)

And of course, what should you absolutely avoid?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9KDGkCJka2w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Noise gate/suppressor

Tuner

Wah

If using a vst daw setup make sure you have a recording interface that can do realtime monitor.

that's a matter of taste, man
there's some really versatile stuff like the earthquaker palisades which can objectively be considered very good because a lot of people might get a sound from it that they like
but usually distortion pedals are one trick ponys and either you like the sound a certain pedal produces or you don't

Can you DI an amp head into a DAW? Because that'd be a cool way to incorporate distortion as well.

I remember trying and failing at it years ago but back then I sucked more at mixing music.

big muff

yes, but it will sound like complete ass
the speaker is the main part in shaping the sound to what you expect by band limiting, the signal coming straight from the amp is literal ear rape treble

that feel when my amp modeler has a switch for DI into a mixer/DAW

yeah, of course there's 'compensated' (as they usually call it) outputs to use as a direct line in, but then you might just as well use an amp modelling plugin which is even more convenient

What amp? If you have a DI going into a daw you should probably use an IR cab. Or your amp has a simulated cab

Personally I think amp modeling VST stuff is kind of overrated

I get it's convenient, but still.

correctly modeled with a good sound board i bet you 98% of all the sound snobs could not tell it apart from the real thing.

It's like fine wine, it's just for show and to spend your money, if you like music then you dont need to waste money on that

i mean I don't have the money or physical space for an amp that doesn't sound like complete shit, its my only option. I would have a real amp if I could, even though it has been shown in blind tests people think modeled amps sound better

>I would have a real amp if I could, even though it has been shown in blind tests people think modeled amps sound better

Then why would you get an amp?
Also: [citation needed]

This is the ultimate pedal in my opinion unles you do death metal, and even if you do have one of these anyway, the Fullbore Metal is like if lava was aluminum foil

>Also: [citation needed]
make the test, get someone who is really good at vsts to record a coupleo f audios imitating different combinations of amps and pedals

then record those with the actual pedals

get people to listen to both blindfolded, 99% wont be able to tell the difference and you will inmediately kill yourself when you realize you spent billions upon billions of dollars for outdated tech

I wish you knew what a citation is

Buy a used Peavey or a used Fender Mustang, they will honestly do what you need without any pedals probably.

i know what it is, but i wish you knew that you didnt need a citation for obvious shit

this is you right now:

-Hey man, did you know that Gravity makes things go down
-NO THEY DONT THATS FALSE CITATION NEEDED
-dude? just drop a pen see for yourself it will false down
-NOOO THAT IS FALSE CITATION NEEDED HAHAHA DONT U KNOW WHAT A CITATION IS??? GET WREEEKT FAGGOT
-god what an idiot, no wonder he can't be educated

i really hope you're just pretending to be a retard

Close but it's too hard to find the made in Japan ds-2 , and even then it's mode ii is useless.

The RAT w/ lm308 chip was the single best distortion pedal ever made

there's different types of distortions for different things.

if you want crunchy rhythm look at overdrives like a tube screamer
something a bit more for leads? distortion pedals like a rat or angry charlie
want something a bit smoother than a distortion? fuzz pedals like a big muff

you can stack distortion pedals together and get different sounds too, david gilmour did that, he mixes a big muff and boosts it/eqs it with overdrives and equalizers.

>david gilmour
Le wrong generation

I pretty much only use fuzz nowadays. If you get a good germanium fuzz pedal, it sounds pretty darn close to a good overdrive, but thicker and with more sustain imo. Plus they clean up really well too so you can damn near always leave it on

Pic related, its the fuzz pedal that I mainly use nowadays. Black Cat Bosstone

>everyone has experienced gravity
>nobody I know or you've provided has done a double blind experiment comparing modeled versus real amps

Am I being baited?

>provides easy to do test to prove that youre horribly wrong
>denies to do the test

geeeee mclittleuneducatedboy i wonder if youre in denial

What is this why can the pedal be charged? Wtf?

I've got the DS-1, I am very happy with it. Versatile as shit.

>Doing a statistically relevant test all by yourself

Haha, friend.
Cobbling together your five best friends doesn't count as a reliable or viable test, I'm sorry to say. Better luck next time!

Also that gravity analogy is really stupid since it took centuries to understand what "gravity" actually means.

>Denial
>Damage control

woah buddy, i know you like looking like an uneducated idiot. but seriously, its embarasing, even over the internet. Pls dont post again ever. please

Hard to say whats the best as it really depends what you like.
I have one of those turbo distortion pedals and its pretty good. Its a pretty safe choice. Fairly clean and adjustable.

Really versatile pedals though are fucking expensive as heck.

>it has been shown in blind tests
Please provide a link to these double blind test results.

Wait till you upgrade out of your 10watt Peavey practice amp.

Im using this cheap ass pedal for shitty black metal sounds. 100% trve.

It's ok, for shitty music, shitty pedals are allowed.

Actually much of what today is unfairly called music it was correctly identified as noise during the golden age of rock and roll.

This. the pedal itself is incredibly well built, and the controls are very easy to figure out and get a lot of tonal variation

Literally the worst distortion pedal in existence

and my shit is retarded?

A bit on the boutique side but Landmine pedals are fucking great

I like the Boss DA-2. they call it adaptive distortion. it modulates different frequencies in a different way so you can play chords etc. even at high gain and still tell the notes apart. my GT-100 has it built in i believe, it's my favourite.

I always depressingly bad results with VST, am I doing it wrong?

I just stick to my amp simulator/pedals if I want some distortion.

>am I doing it wrong?
No, it just isn't the same.

You are betting off finding the correct sound, and just recording it.

Gt-100 user here chiming in, also big fan of the included Da-2 effect. Sounds great. Although in the gt-100 they made it distracting louder than any of the other pedals wtf!

I get great, great, GREAT results from a tubescreamer TS-808 into a boutique triangle big muff pi (BYOC) and into a tube combo. The TS alone can get you a lot of sweet tones, from overdriven to wailing distortion for leads, depending also on the output of your pickups. The muff alone can give you the Billy Corgan sound from Gish to MCIS eras, and a slight volume boost and overdrive from the TS into the muff makes it sound totally different and much much richer in harmonics.

>The muff alone can give you the Billy Corgan sound from Gish
It can't

So its Black Cats take on the Jordan Bosstone that came out in the late 60s. Dont pay attention to the enclosure because thats just a dosimeter enclosure. But me and my friend have one and my friends sounds like a wah, octave fuzz its totally weird but sounds really cool. Mine sounds like a really gritty overdrive. Its prolly the fullest sounding fuzz Ive ever heard. It responds super well to your volume knob and picking dynamics. Seriously i think the search ror my distorted tone is done.

youtu.be/9KDGkCJka2w

Skip to 1:28 to hear it. Mine actually sounds cleaner and clearer than that guys lol

I might be lucky, then. To be fair, there are hundreds of different big muffs, the one I use just happens to have a MUCH better tone than the new ones from EH.
But I think that's it.
Also, the muff is more notably used in Siamese Dream. Gish sounds more like overlaid marshall overdrive and a strat with medium-output pickups.

>I might be lucky, then
I guess, because they didn't use Big Muffs on that album.

At all.

I know, but I know what's the sound I want and how to get it. Get a better muff. And a strat.

>Get a better muff. And a strat.
I already have both. What are you talking about?

I have one of these. It's pretty versatile and sounds great through my Orange Crush 20RT.

What do you think about the Boss Blues Driver?

i haven't messed around with it much, but it sounded alright when i played my friends gear. soul foods are cool and i plan on getting one, it's like a cheap version of a klon.

for some reason software can't simulate good distortion effects.
I have the Boss DS-1 distortion pedal and it's just so much better.
maybe someone else here can explain the process that makes it so difficult for plugins to create a good distortion effect...

I have it too. Fucking thicc sound but I wish it was less muddy; can't play chords beyond powerchords with it at all

heavy distortion/fuzz and complicated chords don't work well with each other, too many clashes and it fucks up the distortion signal. that's why most heavily distorted songs stick to power chord riffs and single line stuff