Tfw music professor said that pop music is for those who "don't like to think" and that everyone should listen to...

>tfw music professor said that pop music is for those who "don't like to think" and that everyone should listen to classical music instead

I asked him if he at least listened to Radiohead, but then he just snickered at me.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Baroque_composers#Brief_timeline
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Classical-era_composers#Timeline_of_Classical_composers_.28partial.29
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Romantic-era_composers#Timeline
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>this did not happen

>Radiohead
It's pop dude

>Radiohead
It's people like you that make him have that opinion

what a patrician teacher

Smdh

You should at least had said OPN

Tell him that he's reddit! That'll show him!

Next time you go in, hand him this CD and watch his cognitive dissonance kick in

/classical/ buff reporting in.
He's unironically right. It's like reading YA books before having read authors as basic and fundamental as Shakespeare.
Just start with what has been considered the best music ever by the best musicians in existence for literally hundreds of years. It's that straightforward.

Good. I wish more people would realize Radiohead is shit.

your teacher is a asshole
He should at least encourage listening to radiohead if not straight radio pop

Should have said kanye. No matter how much you hate him, he a goat

classical is for people who want to feel smart
people who are actually smart listen to whatever they want to because complexity =/= quality

Basically this.

NP: Schumann Violin Sonata No. 1

Dude classical music is simple as shit LOL

Brainlet detected

You should have said classical music was the pop of its time.

yeah not as good as prog metal right?
weak bait

>pop music is for those who "don't like to think"

Isn't necessarily a bad thing, but this is absolutely LITERALLY objectively true

people who don't know the first thing about music theory shouldn't bother listening to classical

You got fucking roasted by your music teacher ahahaha you bitch

Well where the fuck do I start with classical?

learn music theory

That doesn't help me in the slightest.

that's the "language" classical is written in, it would be like reading Ulysses with a 3rd grade level of reading, juts get to know some of the important concepts
then to bach or beethoven or some shit, classical is a meme

I've discovered that most people don't like classical because their minds cannot filter out either the constant and sometimes complex movement between notes, or the amount of parts. My friend says that Bach's organ pieces are overwhelming because of that. I'm sure that applies to more than just him.

Go to the gym everyday and read Yukio Mishima, Julius Evola and Roger Scruton

That's the language every music is writen in.
It would be more like listening to someone narrate Ulysses without knowing how to read.
It depends, how much time are you willing to put on it?
If you want to do it short, listen to the well-known ones, if you have the time, check the remarkable composers chronologically.

>check the remarkable composers chronologically
And how would I go about doing this? My knowledge of classical is very minimal, should I just read a wikipedia article?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Baroque_composers#Brief_timeline
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Classical-era_composers#Timeline_of_Classical_composers_.28partial.29
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Romantic-era_composers#Timeline
These are good timelimes, if you have patience and are willing to try music lots different than what you are used to, begin with the Baroque timelime.
If you want to check more outsider friendly music first, check the romantic one.
I recommend moving onto modern or renaissance after having checked out these.

Thanks, man. I'll check these all out as soon as I can.

My music professor said that mature people eventually move past that mindset

Oh is this a greentext that never happened thread?

There are 3 main eras of classical music: baroque, classical, and romantic. These range from about 1600ish to 1900ish. They will vary in style according to the composer's heritage, year, etc.

If you want to start at the very beginning go J.S. Bach; somewhat in the middle: Mozart; a bit later: Beethoven, later; Brahms, Tchaikovsky or Wagner. These are definitely "the guys" of those eras.

Check these out:
Symphonie Fantastique - Berlioz
Symphony No. 4 - Schumann
Swan Lake (really, any ballet or symphony by this composer) - Tchaikovsky
Scheherazade - Rimsky-Korsakov
Suite for Orchestra No. 1 - Bartók

Don't worry if you don't know music theory. It helps your appreciation and understanding, but it's no requirement.

This is another viable option.

>Tfw your prefessor is literally PJW

But what if i listen to modern classical? Will he consider me a pleb? Also need some recommendations.

Exactly, pop is designed to be easy to listen to. I wouldn't take what the professor said as an insult

>at the very beginning
>J.S. Bach
This is the equivalent of saying Beatles started music, except even more ignorant and stupid.

What are you really upset about?

So is classical music you fucking dumbass, massive use of dissonance and syncopation wasn't popularized until way later, kid

Spreading misinformation.

What do you mean by modern classical? Movie Soundtracks, post WWII, Impressionist music of 1900s?

Holy fuck, kid... Gas yourself.

I mean as in music genre. Kashiwa Daisuke, etc.

Yeah, I'm sure a 2h+ long Mozart's opera or almost 90+ minute long Bach's mass is as easy to listen to as an album with 10 3 minute long verse-chorus based pop songs.

Ask him how much he thinks pop music producers make.
Then ask him how much he makes.
Ask him to do the math.
He will get the picture.

Here's a life tip for you: get educated at least on some basic level on the topic you pretend to know something about if you don't want to be exposed as a philistine.

>Exposed
>Sup Forums

Uh oh.

No one listen to the above recommendations, they're simply too pedestrian.

Is pop music "popular" music or does pop have a certain sound/aesthetic?

>hand him this Cd of classical music
ok?

When most people say "pop music" they really mean popular music.

>recommending Bartok's suite for orchestra
Wow you have terrible fucking taste
Sure recommend his horrifically derivative and uninspired period

Toru Takemitsu is a modern guy, he died I think 20 or so years ago.
Gustav Holst - The Planets (intense, not a big fan, but you might like it)

A little older:

Mahler - Symphony No. 5
Dvorák - Symphony No. 4 and 5 and 7
Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 2 and 4

Featuring the guitarist of Radiohead. He's a pretty good componist.

Hanz Zimmer, Danny Elfman and John Williams are some of my favorites

I think the point was that this CD isn't pop music (I assume, haven't listened to it), so it doesn't actually provide any counter argument to the professor.

Oops, pardon me. was meant for you.

Yeah like all you would show him is "Hey look, this CD of classical music is better than any of his work with Radiohead" which he would then reply "Of course that's the case."

>Anything Bartók composed
>Your opinion

we all know what any intelligent person would ignore.

>professor of anything
these people are the most self absorbed assholes on the planet. take everything they say with a grain of salt because the only person they truly have discussions about opinions/ideas with is themselves. every pompous asshole ive ever met through college has made me hate the institution as a whole.

Thanks, user. Ill listen to all of them.

Too mainstream for me but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Yep, np. Go to the YouTube channels UnsungMasterworks and KuhlauDilfeng2, lots of lesser known stuff there.

I hate to break it to you, idiot, but your prof is right. You probably have shit fucking taste and like fucking Montie or some shit. I bet you worship him you dweeb. Lol.

Anyways if you want to really think for yourself listen to Comus, COil, Current 93, industrial, krautrock, and experimental music or is that too much of a challege for you baby?
I hope you get a failing from your prof you worthless brainless pile of dog feces mixed with concrete and anime

If you switched "classical" with experimental and/or jazz, he might have an arguement

Hello dropout and or sub-2.0
>"experimental" better than classical

little brain: western classical
ascended brain: world classical

From the top of my head here's a small list of great symphonies for beginners:

Mozart No.41
Mozart No.40
Beethoven No.9
Beethoven No.5
Tchaikovsky No.5
Dvorak No.9
Mahler No.2
Shostakovich No.5

I didn't say better, but it definitely is "thinking music", more so than classical, whether that's a good thing or not

Usually means commercial music, its not really a style since popular styles change over time and split off onto different sounds.

Correction: Classical music was the GOOD pop of its time.

Get yourself a new music professor asap.

A privilege-checking chart-making 3x3-posting pitchfork columnist and indie fan was giving a guest lecture on Animal Collective, a known pop band.

”Before the lecture begins, you must get on your knees and worship #based Jeff Mangum and accept that he was the most Jesus Christ-loving and talented musician the world has ever known, even better than My Bloody Valentine!”

At this moment, a brave, intelligent, conservative, classical listening dandy who purportedly owned 1500 terabytes of FLAC-encoded classical (lower-case c) music and understood the necessity of music theory and structure stood and held up the original sheet music of Johann Sebastian Bach's Brandenburg Concertos (BWV 1046–1051).

”How good is this collection, indiefag?”

The arrogant journalist smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied, “Probably 5.0-ish, you stupid old geezer. Pitchfork has never reviewed that lame shit, and I bet Fantano gave it a light 6!"

”Wrong. It’s been 292 years since Bach originally dedicated it to Christian Ludwig, margrave of Brandenburg-Schwedt. If it was 'lame shit,' and not a masterpiece of the human mind as you say… then it shouldn't be liked by every patrician in the world.”

The pitchfork columnist was visibly shaken, and dropped his trendy iPhone and first vinyl pressing of Kid A. He stormed out of the room crying Mangumian semen. The same tears avant-teens cry for the "radioclassical fans" (who today like such great composers such as Haydn) when they jealously try to forge patricianhood from needlessly avant-garde Chinese people and obscure Black minimalist composers. There is no doubt that at this point our lecturer, Ian Cohen, wished he had educated himself on the Western Canon and become more than a smug 90's kid with an immature and dated love for alt-rock and ironic hip-hop. He wished that he had even a complex, polyrhythmic, contemporary popular act like The Mars Volta to cling to, but he himself had given them a 2.0!

Think about it:
>pop music today - paid for and produced for the recording companies to make millions

>classical music back then - composers paid by kings to entertain them

anyone who acts superior by talking about classical is being a dick

He's right you know.png

I have played violin in the orchestra for 7 years now, and I fucking hate this. Music is what I live for and I have a broad taste, but I cannot bring myself to listening to classical. It has some things going for it but I feel like it mostly is just a utility to better understand music theory. I feel you. (I do not consider modern renditions of classical music as the same)

Very good post
kek likes it too, see?

what a lame cover

Your mom's a lame cover

kek

Mozart wrote short pieces too

mozart opera vs soundtracks for the blind?

Wow you're pathetic