Is djing actually "playing"? Are dj musicians?

I wanna understand this meme, explain.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qAeybdD5UoQ
youtube.com/watch?v=JSpS3TFS3P0&t=259s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

only if they play the tits too

She could jockey my disk if you know what I mean

I'd like to play with her turntables if you know what I mean.

Can we say that the dj plays?

If you differentiate between a legitemate DJ and a commercial festival one, then yes the true DJ is actually playing and an entertainer

That woman has big breasts and she's not afraid to bare them

DJ's are entertainers but not "musicians" necessarily

Define "playing"

Define "musician"

Define "DJ"

If someone performs a song they didn't write, are they artists/musicians or just entertainers?

Musician: a person who crafted the skills and has mastered the art of playing an instrument through musical practice

DJ: an entertainer who makes playlists and occasionally live mash-ups for clubs and dancefloors.

arent performers just a different kind of musician?, its a pretty broad term

musician
>mjuːˈzJʃ(ə)n/Submit ~ noun
a person who plays a musical instrument, especially as a profession.

>mastered

Punk confirmed not music

That's karaoke.

You can still be a musician without having mastered the instrument, you're a mediocre player though.

>DJ: an entertainer who makes playlists and occasionally live mash-ups for clubs and dancefloors.

t. Moron who has never seen a proper dj in his life

>moving the goalposts
looool

I dunno. I DJ, but don't consider myself a musician. I do pride in my ability to move a crowd and song selection over a 1hr set is really important in a different way than a setlist at a rock concert does.

I have actually plenty of dj friends who makes everyone the same thing, appropriating music that isn't their own but just mixing and sequencing it for the sole purpose of making money into Le club at Saturday night. They also have poor culture about electronic music in general, they kinda think electronic music began in the late 70s and such.

DJ'ing and turntablism is the art of manipulating sounds and creating music using turntables and a mixer to produce sounds.

John Oswald described the art: "A phonograph in the hands of a 'hiphop/scratch' artist who plays a record like an electronic washboard with a phonographic needle as a plectrum, produces sounds which are unique and not reproduced—the record player becomes a musical instrument."[2]

it also depends on what he does apart of djing. Some djs are also producers, instrument players etc. in that case the as a person he is an artist.
If he only djs, it would depend on his skills, music colletion, and hw he can manage the crowd.
I dj, but have to admit 70% of all djs, if not more, are pure garbage

is that dj soda? she can play me like a fiddle

electronic music no, electronic dance music yes.

The answer is no.

There are videos on youtube showing what """"""""""""""""""""""pro"""""""""""""""""""""""" DJs do on stage in an attempt to show that it is actually hard, but the achieve the complete opposite. Literally just fade between tracks.

no

clicking play on a macbook to a pre-recorded playlist of corporate pop EDM "bangers" =/= real music

They're record player players.

Mostly when people DJ they have a list of pre-recorded songs

They can fuck with it and add effects like reverb on top of the music and do things like make cool transitions into other songs but that's about it. Most of what they do is making minute adjustments to knobs

People don't really see DJs play to witness musical savants in their prime doing crazy things with the tools they have. It's mostly about the atmosphere and the culture

If you want to see people doing things on the fly and doing something that takes skill look up launchpads. It's a 2D grid of buttons that are all hooked up to a sample or some kind of noise and they actually make something original

youtube.com/watch?v=qAeybdD5UoQ

No they are not playing music.
It is a skill on its own though, and good DJ's are very worth respecting.

there are a lot of talented DJs, whether you like the music they play or not. Ben UFO for example is very skilled and spends time finding rare and eclectic tracks. Jackmaster is also really good and to an extent A-Trak. If they don't produce music then they aren't musicians, they're performers and yes, there are a lot of shit DJs playing festival bro EDM shit from a most likely pre mixed Ableton set.

the number one thing for a DJ to be good is track selection
number two is whether the tracks blend well or not, or are in key
number three is how well the mixing is done

it's all EDM crap buddy

>if it doesn't have a guitar it's not real music!

Yes, it is actually 'playing'.

Doesn't need guitar. Just instruments in general.

Where DJ is a subset of Musician. I don't understand what you are getting at.
This really boils down to a 'le wrong generation' argument.

you do know electronic music is made with instruments right?

Depends on the genre honestly. Hip-hop DJs are most definitely musicians in my opinion. Well hip-hop DJs from the late 70s-mid 90s at least.

No, it boils down to literal definitions of words that lose their meaning entirely when you try totwist them into your dumb narrative.

deadmau5 uses a shit ton of expensive modular synths to produce his lowest common denominator EDM trash. Boys Noize makes festival-tier techno with original an original 808 and 404. just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not real music

Sure is underage youtube comments in here.

Once I made listen Autechre to a dj friend of mine, he said:
>"WOW dude, what turntable do they use to make these sounds?".
kek

youtube.com/watch?v=JSpS3TFS3P0&t=259s

The meaning of dj has lost all it's meaning in the public, It's filled with retards and hot stupid bitches with big tits who hit play jump up and down like a retard and fiddle with the volume button and pretend to change other shit.

Not exactly. A guy playing underground techno on 3 vinyl decks and actually mixing music is different from some fuccboi playing "edm" off VenerealDiseaseJockey, on his laptop.

They can be talented, but are usually huge scumbags.

you just need to go to better nights

>bleepfags actually believe this

looooool

i don't know the right way to put this but there's a whole umbrella of categories in which a DJ can fall, and every single one of these types can wildly vary in skill ofc.

there are DJs that only mix with software, not in real-time. there are DJs that just use laptops, ones that use CDJ setups along with a laptop, sometimes using timecode vinyl and a real turntable in the mix. although vinyl is rapidly fading away, there are still DJs that are capable of and do spin vinyl, there are some that can spin three turntables at once, some that mix, some that just do scratching and turntablism. then there are the ones who use in-loop samplers and sequencers and actually create something new out of something old. they are not musicians in the sense that they write and play music, but they are the closest to being qualified as musicians as they can be.

the perception of the "DJ" is a factor as well. the generic stay at home listener probably doesn't know or care how the mix was made. it could have been mixed automatically with software for all you know. skrillex and daft punk fans probably don't even care that they know it's not even a live mix. but then there's veteran DJs who still remember when headphones were a luxury, and there were no mixers, and they will criticize every single mismatched beat, where you drop the next track in, when you drop it, the music selection, the overusage of phaser, faders, trim, etc. then there's the pompous asses who won't give you the time of day unless you can mix on three decks and scratch from behind your back. they probably won't consider the earliest mentioned people "DJs" at all.

i hope that made a little sense at least.

WHO THIS BITCH

ANSWER NOW

"I'd like to play with her turntables if you know what I mean."
What did he mean by this?

Not all DJs are "musicians" but usually if an artist makes dance music they perform their music as part of a DJ set

>that's karaoke
no.

synths are instruments.

DJ Soda

Well yeah. You gotta control the music for a whole hour or 30 minutes. That's a lot of work, don't you think?

>press play on premixed set

>jump around

so hard

that's not what actual djing is moron.
it's already been explained several times in this thread.

you think the people at ultra mix on the fly?

they dont.

Nobody's talking about ultra. What about proper house and techno dj's?

I respect real djs

but most of the time people "djing" arent doing shit

they press play on a set made in ableton live

>Not all DJ's everyone is Joel and Skrillex

>Not all DJ's do that technique like Joel and Skrillex*

it depends where you are. i would hardly say most. big corporate festival edm usually but most techno or house or shit real music fans listen to would be on wax. i even see people spinning shit at random bars and shit. people seem to think of the dj as the big edm archetype, thats the most mainstream but hardly the most common.

Does it fucking matter?

>It's another Sup Forums argues over semantics and the definition of musician thread

actual DJ here. DJ sets aren't performance sets, especially current year.

digital has taken away the skillset required to be a DJ.

With vinyl, it was all about knowing your songs... the pitch, the tempo, the beat, the rhythm, the key... even the color of the label, if the record had issues/warping/scratches, measure skips/breaks, etc. With all of that knowledge, you could quickly grab records that fits great with the current song and have just enough time to match the beat, count it off, mix in on the right meter... and fix any accidents along the by slightly touching the record with your fingers to keep it on beat without letting the crowd hear any pitch changes.

With digital, you don't have to worry about beat matching, beat counting, pitch/key matching, cataloging. Instead focus has shifted to keeping consistent meta data and pre-setting multiple cue points. Any """""""performance"""""""" beyond this is literally the use of gimmicky loop points, eq tweaks and effects (teen tier production shit). Anyone that tells you "muh dj fader performance" hasn't ever sat behind a real board of faders and performed before...

all DJs are different, but with vinyl DJ's you know they are putting in work. With digital, it's a crapshoot...but any big name digital DJ sets with synced light shows are all pre-recorded sets and just pretending on stage.

DJ's play the performance, performers write the performance. There's a huge difference.

Nope,, I doubt they have to practice even half as much as actually musician, this is coming from a person who plays Euphonium in a orchestra and trombone in a jazz band.