/film/ - Film Recommendation & Discussion

No capeshit. waifus, GOT, or memes allowed.

>post a film along with a plot summary
>others can discuss the movie by replying to your post
>use spoilers

>This is the story of Uxbal, a man living in this world, but able to see his death, which guides his every move.

Iron Man 2

>A successful investment banker struggles after losing his wife in a tragic car crash. With the help of a customer service rep and her young son, he starts to rebuild, beginning with the demolition of the life he once knew.

>A struggling screenwriter inadvertently becomes entangled in the Los Angeles criminal underworld after his oddball friends kidnap a gangster's beloved Shih Tzu.

>A recently laid off factory worker kidnaps his former boss' daughter, hoping to use the ransom money to pay for his sister's kidney transplant.

bump

>A woman tries to exonerate her brother's murder conviction by proving that the crime was committed by a supernatural phenomenon.

What is this? "I'm 19 years old and too mature for superhero movies" starter pack? Most of these movies are rank pedestrian trash.

>A Russian teenager living in London who dies during childbirth leaves clues to a midwife in her journal that could tie her child to a rape involving a violent Russian mob family.

shit taste the thread

Nothing wrong with superhero movies. I just want ONE FUCKING THREAD that doesn't discuss Marvel, DC, and Rotten Tomatoes scores.

Kind of, only decent movie here is Biutiful.

Is this a troll thread or do you really think these movies are anything better than caepshit or fantasy shows?

>A horrific car accident connects three stories, each involving characters dealing with loss, regret, and life's harsh realities, all in the name of love.

Post movies or get the fuck out you wank. As I said, I have nothing against superhero movies. I just want a thread where we can share movies with eachother without shitposting.

>A woman on the run from the mob is reluctantly accepted in a small Colorado town. In exchange, she agrees to work for them. As a search visits town, she finds out that their support has a price. Yet her dangerous secret is never far away...

>A complex relationship develops between an Israeli secret service officer and his teenage Palestinian informant.

>A humanoid duck alien gets sent to Earth, where he (or it?) plays rock music, has sex with a human woman, and, just for kicks, saves the world.

>A soldier wakes up in someone else's body and discovers he's part of an experimental government program to find the bomber of a commuter train. A mission he has only 8 minutes to complete.

I saw this movie. It was mediocre but still better than the ""horror"" we get these days.

>A man's coerced confession to an IRA bombing he did not commit results in the imprisonment of his father as well. An English lawyer fights to free them.

that title pisses me off
like, i always hear someone in my head say "iin the name of the father" whenever i see it and it angers me

seek help

>A German journalist is saddled with a nine-year-old girl after encountering her mother at a New York airport

>A bored, aimless 14-year-old girl falls into the drug scene in Berlin in the 1970s after attending 'The Sound', a modern new disco. In search of acceptance and freedom, she falls in with a teenage boy who is hooked on heroin and eventually develops an addiction of her own.

>Suspecting that people around him are turning into evil creatures, a troubled man questions whether to protect his only friend from an impending war, or from himself.
Someone posted this movie in the last /film/ thread. Saw it and liked it quite a bit.

>highest quality copy on public trackers is a 1.7gb dvdrip and it's not on Netflix
Anyone wanna share a blu-ray rip if they got one?

I liked Source Code. Couldn't stand the cheesy ending though. Do you guys think Duncan Jones will ever direct anything as good as Moon ever again?

This.

Literally just watched it minutes ago.

Based Gyllenhaal

>A particularly violent juvenile inmate gets sent to big boy prison early

I'm not good at summaries but it's a great movie

>let me wank myself while aimlessly posting plot summaries of films
You're doing nothing to fix Sup Forums, you know that right? Threads like these have the exact opposite intended effect.

Then fuck off to your gayme of thrones generals

Le Samourai (1967)

>Ryan Gosling wasn't the first autist to live by a code. Follow along as shit goes sideways, accelerated by the aid of girls and gangsters.

*tips fedora*

>good blu ray never ever

>In the falangist Spain of 1944, the bookish young stepdaughter of a sadistic army officer escapes into an eerie but captivating fantasy world.

The sauna fight had me clutching my testes. The fact that they're fighting naked intensifies it so much more.

>wank myself
Projection: The Post
I've seen a ton of movies I hadn't seen before because of the last thread. That's what these thread are for, finding new films to watch.
If you don't actually like watching movies, you can fuck off this board.

The copy I saw it on was fine. When it comes to older movies, you can't really expect the quality to be all that good unless it's super high budget.

>a studio executive commits manslaughter against a disgruntled screenwriter and proceeds to be blackmailed by a mystery man
>loads of movie inside jokes and shit

/film/?
>hackurritu
>memenhalleerr
>chinkshit
>le edgy XD comedy

more like /reddit/

although Eastern Promises is decent.

Is this actually good? I'm a big fan of Gyllenhaal (Nightcrawler, Brokeback, and Prisoners are actually good; watched Everest and Southpaw, too, which are decent) and I've seen Dallas Buyers' Club, but not sure if Wild and especially this are worth the watch.

Again, I like Gyllenhaal, but I'd rather not watch the movie if it's actually shit, regardless of how admirably the acting talent tries to keep it afloat.

Leon The Professional meets Taxi Driver

I haven't seen that but a good Gyllenhaal you didn't mention is Enemy.

Source Code is fun too.

Check those out if you haven't seen them

Watched this and Dancer in the Dark. Are those Lars von Trier's best films or does he have better ones than those two?

I think Melancholia is his best.

I'll definitely have to check both of those out. Villaneuve is one of today's best, and I've heard Source Code is a fun ride. Thanks, user.

It's good. It's not a must see, but it's great if you just need something to keep you occupied for 2 hours. The plot is sort of cliche, but the dialogue is surprisingly good despite of it. The first half-portion of the movie is really reminicent of Nightcrawler, so you'll probably like it.

>Wild
Do you mean Mud?

Prisoners > Enemy
Yeah I said it.

Melancholia and Antichrist are top notch. I'd say they're his best ones.
I like both the Nymphomaniac films too, but I seem to be in the minority in that.
Also, I didn't realize until recently that the protagonist in Dancer In The Dark was Bjork.

When the Fall semester starts back I wanna start a film club at my school. What would be a good choice to start with? I was thinking Dancer in the Dark

Breaking the Waves and are also great

For what I've watched:
Melancholia ≥ Dogville > Breaking the Waves > Dancer in the Dark >>>>>>>>>> Nymphomaniac

>Do you mean Mud?

Nope, I meant Wild as an allusion to Jean-Marc Vallee since Demolition is his followup work. Why would I have meant Mud?

>A white teenager from the suburbs get sent to prison after getting caught smoking a marijuana cigerette. His cellmates Peanute Untouchable and Thugzilla and their friends decide to protect him against the dangerous gangs in the prison in return for a using his anus as a vagina for their pleasures.

I'm no expert on Lars von Trier but Antichrist is fairly neat, Breaking the waves is also worth checking out.

>Prisoner > Enemy
>Yeah I said it

Ok. I haven't seen Prisoners, but... Yknow, you can have an opinion. It's allowed

Huh, I didn't know he also directed Dalles Buyers Club. I was confused since you switched from talking about Gyllenhaal (main actor) to the director so abruptly that I thought you started talking about Matthew McConaughey. My mistake.

>Breaking the Waves
Never seen that one, though gonna check it out now. Are there any other Lars Von Trier films outside of his big ones (Dog, Melan, Anti, Dancer, Nympho) that are worth watching?

>haven't seen Prisoners
You really should, user. It's one of the best thrillers of the 2010's.

Cool. I'll check it out.

Wanted something to watch with a few beers tonight but I was gonna watch Green Room.

Watch Von Trier's miniseries Riget (The Kingdom in English). Cool atmospheric horror set in a haunted hospital. Has a bit of a Twin Peaks meets Stephen King vibe.

Oh man, I'm so jealous.
Both Prisoners and Green Room are both films that I'd honestly consider 10/10. I wish I could watch them for the first time again. Enjoy it.

How good is Prisoners? My expectations are high because of everything I've heard from here. I thought Enemy was just ok, but I can still appreciate it.

watch it yesterday lol

Do you really consider Green Room a perfect movie? I thought it went rapidly downhill after the first time they tried to escape from the room.

The biggest thing that annoyed me was that they called in a murder, which was clearly mentioned, but the police still left without ever having encountered the body. U wot m8?

Prisoners is a safe bet to go into with high expectations.

so you're saying /cunny/ is allowed?

They didn't call in a murder, he called in someone being stabbed. The cops got there and saw that someone was stabbed next to someone admitting doing it and took them in.

How come this thread is called /film/ when people are only posting flicks?

Awesome movie. Just seen it couple of days ago. Have you seen other Wim Wenders films? What do you think of them? What's your favorite? I've seen Alice in the Cities, Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire, with the latter being my all-time favorite. Thinking about seeing Kings of the Road next and later Salt of the Earth.

Dope.

I got some Shiner and a nice steak. Sounds like I'm in for a good night in

I don't really consider 10/10 perfect, as there isn't a single movie I've seen that I'd call perfect. I consider a 10/10 something that I enjoyed every moment of to its fullest both during and after.

If I remember correctly, they reported a "stabbing", not a murder. The owner then paid the skinheads twins to stab eachother so they'd get blamed when the police arrived.

I still haven't seen Wings Of Desire, even though I've had it on my hard drive forever. I think I'll watch it right now.

>A documentary centered on a young man in Spain who claims to a grieving Texas family that he is their 16-year-old son who has been missing for 3 years.

If you like Green Room, you should check out Blue Ruin.

>A war drama with a few comedic moments which follows the story of a young girl who is orphaned by an airstrike and is helped by a young boy and his family. Together with her new friend, they try to decypher - in a childish manner of course - the aftermath and meaning of death.

>Two former victims of the same child molester gradually converge towards an encounter that will challenge each boy's skewed perception of the experience.

Shiner? My fucking man user.

Kek this movie owns, next level shit, 5 stars.

Not him, Wings of Desire is one of my favorite movies. Paris Texas was incredible.

I watched Kings of the Road a few months ago and was really comfy, it's very slow and long, sometimes going long periods without dialogue so it's not something most people would enjoy but I loved it. Very touching movie about friendship.

I just downloaded Alice in the Cities yesterday and was planning on watching it soon.

I miss the cunny days of Sup Forums

At least we had an identity back then, instead of being reddit's retarded edgy older brother

> A pack of naïve teenagers conspire to murder a mutual friend, whose aggressive demeanor has proved too much

Has mixed reviews but it's honestly one of my favorite movies.

>Bob Ford, an obsessive young fan of celebrity outlaw Jesse James, meets the man and joins his gang in the latter days of James' career, when growing paranoia is leading to his gradual mental unravelling. As the disillusioned Ford sees Jesse for the flawed man he is rather than the legend, the jaded and weary James sees in Ford a suitable ending to that legend.

>child molester
You sort of spoiled the movie there, user. Best to just go with the IMDB summary when posting.

>Also, I didn't realize until recently that the protagonist in Dancer In The Dark was Bjork.
You're as blind as her user

Hey guys I like Game of Thrones what should I watch already seen Lord of the Rings

I fapped so hard to that movie.

Ironic how you have disdain for GOT yet the first suggestions of this thread are pure fucking garbage for mouthbreathing retards

>an engaged diplomat on vacation meets up with an old friend who proposes a game of temptation between he and a younger local girl. He soon becomes more intrigued by the girl's stepsister, Claire.

You gotta post the title or movie poster incase someone hasn't seen it.
>The Assassination Of Jesse James

Super tense yet comfy movie with a 10/10 soundtrack. Casey Affleck's performance in this film is greater than anything Ben Affleck has ever done.

>Small-town cops and a big-city detective struggle with personality conflicts, political turmoil and a frustrating lack of certainty in the hunt for South Korea's first serial killer.

>Casey Affleck's performance in this film is greater than anything Ben Affleck has ever done.

God fucking kill yourself you bland boring piece of shit, wowwww

Clearly you haven't graduated into art films yet.

>BvS fans are literally in this thread right now

His best performance was in Gone Girl, and Casey as Bob Ford was better than that performance.

You would enjoy this gem Most GoT fans do

You're a fucking IDIOT dude. Casey Affleck can't do what Ben does, and Ben absolutely can do everything Casey can do. Moping around in the background is well within his wheelhouse, and the fact that you were IMPRESSED by Casey in Jesse James confirms you are a massive, ignorant, shit tier pleb.

No, fuck off. It was a subtle, nuanced performance.

It was better than anything Ben has done and that's including behind a camera. You're the fucking pleb.

Casey Affleck hasn't done a performance as good as Ben Affleck as a enigmatic cipher in To the Wonder as Terrence Malick's autobiographical character

Casey's more or less the same in his roles

Fucking hell. Could you be more of a pretentious twat, user?

Jesus, calm down. This isn't the place for fanboying.
>Ben absolutely can do everything Casey can do
I'm sure he can. You win.

>being in love, literally IN LOVE, with a bland character actor who owes his entire career, ENTIRE CAREER, to nepotism

L M A O
M
A
O

Tell me how GOAT Dave Franco is, faggot

If you've seen Casey's two note performance (he has two roles, the one he is in GBG/Triple9 or the one he is in Assassination of JJ) that's all there is to his acting.
l

First the other guy is shit tier and now I am pretentious. Covering all of the bell curve, aren't you faggot?

You're probably the same guy who posted To The Wonder as an example. As with all of his films, MALICK is the star of show.

I'm not him, just defending the original post. I don't even like whatever else Casey Affleck has done but there's no denying its a great performance.

Think you are going crazy buddy.

Ah, you're right, I just rewatched it. I guess that does explain it.

Still, I personally didn't enjoy the movie thoroughly. It was a fun watch, but things got a little too unrealistic for me (two Nazi traitors; not just storming the place with a handful of people at once and overwhelming them; going into a "it's just a game XD" mindset at the end to win it all). Overall, I don't think the movie had many flaws, but it wasn't the sort of movie that really speaks to me. Saulnier is a talented director without a doubt, though. I'm glad you guys liked it.

Of course, buddy, you're right. I know you love Ben. Don't worry about those cyberbullies they're just being mean. You can watch as much Ben as you want, don't worry. :)

>great performance

It's your low standards, not mine.

>Malick, known primarily for his cinematography and understated narratives, is NOT the star but Bat fucking Affleck.

And I'm crazy.

Oh okay.

What are some great performances to keep me on line?

Casey's role in Assassination is fine, then you watch another film where he is and he is roughly the same, and another one and he is roughly the same and then you rewatch Assassination and can't but to hate his performance.

Well, that's what happened to me at least.

Brad Pitt completely dominates the game in it. Fantastic actor.

Rather sad if you find CASEY AFFLECK, known for his one note performances through out this career, THE STAR of a DECENT FILM like THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD.

And just because directing and cinematography, (including even more understated sound design) are top notch doesn't mean the actor performances can't be top notch. Hell Ben Affleck gets outperformed easily by Olga in the same film (probably the best performance in a Malick film next to Kilcher)

Good points:
>Atmospheric buildup in the beginning
>Nice symbolic representation of the conflict between punks and skinhead punks (the ain't rights are literally trying to escape from an establishment)
>Some truly effective gore early on, especially that arm slicing scene
>Stewart gives a performance that's perfect for the character
>"You were so scary at night" is a nice line

Bad points:
>A lot of the blocking detracted from the tension whenever they left the greenroom, i.e. having the dog trainer come in and order his pitbull around then just walk out when the dog ran off was flat.
>During the second act basically all the character deaths have zero impact (green hair and jujitsu both taken out pretty much simultaneously and never mentioned again, Maeby dying was horribly staged with Yelchin just shouting "Sam! Sam!" in a flat corny voice)
>"Odin himself!" was very nearly a shark-jumping moment

>Prisoners
>Green Room
>10/10
and you dare insult 'GOT' and 'capeshit'

Tim Burton films are ton better than that trash

Certainly not your continued efforts to pass as heterosexual.

It was a fun movie, wasn't really well written or meaningful, just a brainless thriller. I'd still give it a 7/10 though.