/classical/

My list is better than your Liszt edition.

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ezUirMCPWgA
youtube.com/watch?v=9YW13NyCOPk
youtube.com/watch?v=XkZvyA69wCo
youtube.com/watch?v=7B4ArQQZG6U
youtube.com/watch?v=F8RPbPWFQCc
youtube.com/watch?v=3t06sWFPw-c
youtube.com/watch?v=27Ftp4vVAmM
youtube.com/watch?v=IPr2UKi3LlI
youtube.com/watch?v=LV-TMXoyBAI
youtube.com/watch?v=GLGzPDPw8Jw
youtube.com/watch?v=VIxQ_B3Wpzg
youtube.com/watch?v=XHmkl7GM_es
youtube.com/watch?v=HZjS4s8yi_g
youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ch7uottHU
youtube.com/watch?v=OcL4J0pzlAg
youtube.com/watch?v=PdifXv4vl7U
youtube.com/watch?v=2mukrVsKqTs
youtube.com/watch?v=2-Bjp9jptbM
youtube.com/watch?v=-1CUol8EvnI
youtube.com/watch?v=KUe7hpazMi8
touchpianist.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=pe-GrRQz8pk
youtube.com/watch?v=kDP3QJyun0I
youtube.com/watch?v=IeKMMDxrsBE
youtube.com/watch?v=9n-GrOpTOjs
youtube.com/watch?v=fbAO2Y1zlII
youtu.be/0xU-p9wmSqg?t=399
youtu.be/thtVvQgUyC4?t=12s
youdubber.com/index.php?video=yTU8WbTbZMI&video_start=42&audio=Ezg68znooJ8&audio_start=2
youtube.com/watch?v=u3MqFP0-ekU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Obrech is better than Josquin

>Liszt in top 10
/classical/ on suicide watch

Ockeghem beats them both tho.

>wagner in 4th

lol

I don't really care to be honest. He seems honest, unlike a few other overly theatrical performers. I find autistic prancing and bobbing endearing, but clowning around like a trained monkey annoying.

>no Palestrina
>no one born before 1560
Shit list

Historically, Bog was mangled by appalling interpretations to an ever greater degree than Chopin. So much so that even his formalism was almost imperceptible from the music itself. The 20th century phenomenon of Bog as music you listen to as opposed to an abstract philosophy you jerk off to like a /r/atheist is entirely due to one person - Glenn Gould. You'd be stuck with Barenboimiam trainwrecks otherwise.

Gould's approach to playing Bog is wholly applicable to Chopin's music too (that one sonata he recorded just to take the piss is irrelevant). I don't know where the fuck you get the idea that Bog and boggy music is "absolute" while Chopin's is somehow "not", when it's not even 100 years old and ENTIRELY the making of one person who was literally the most idiosyncratic and controversial pianist ever.

Telemann
youtube.com/watch?v=ezUirMCPWgA

Post sad baroque.

youtube.com/watch?v=9YW13NyCOPk
youtube.com/watch?v=XkZvyA69wCo

Guys, please save me from my autism: what is the best recording of Brahms' clarinet quintet in B minor?

youtube.com/watch?v=7B4ArQQZG6U
youtube.com/watch?v=F8RPbPWFQCc
youtube.com/watch?v=3t06sWFPw-c
youtube.com/watch?v=27Ftp4vVAmM
youtube.com/watch?v=IPr2UKi3LlI
youtube.com/watch?v=LV-TMXoyBAI

youtube.com/watch?v=GLGzPDPw8Jw

Lehar bump.

Why can't western European composers write a missal to save their lives? Pretty much every Mass setting after the Renaissance is overly-dramatic/theatrical/showy/gaudy. Mass is supposed to be a solemn occasion, not a venue for exhibitionism.

Here's a missal done right:
youtube.com/watch?v=VIxQ_B3Wpzg

Kleiber is so...well, this is the best Brahms 2.

youtube.com/watch?v=XHmkl7GM_es

>a venue for exhibitionism

Also known as the Common Practice period.

Why doesn't this man get more recognition? He trained Beethoven, Schubert and Liszt, for fuck's sake.

more vivaldi pls

Are you a homosexual? Honest question. Vivaldi is the 'chick flick' of baroque music.

Berezovsky, Chesnokov. Taneyev.

More Russians? Exactly my point. Find me a post 1600s western European chant that sounds as bone chilling as this: youtube.com/watch?v=HZjS4s8yi_g

Holy shit; that bass...!

Bogbillies' idea of emotion is just spamming augmented chords.

Westerners may not be so into the whole "basso profondo and minor-but-with-some-perfect-major-cadences-thrown-in" thing, but there are still a few good choral writers.
youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ch7uottHU
youtube.com/watch?v=OcL4J0pzlAg
youtube.com/watch?v=PdifXv4vl7U

They also get into more contemporary shit, instead of sticking the ye olde tonal system ad nasum.
Not a mass, but still excellent modern choir music. Not inspired by god, but instead by sol lewitt:
youtube.com/watch?v=2mukrVsKqTs

the human being has been given a terrible and fantastic power that make him be the strongest animal of the entire cosmos : stupidity that judge subtility : and even the samrt people are wondering, "maybe stupid people are right! maybe this is not so marvelous..." he calls it "critical sens". The human being like to be critical and the more he does not like something, the more he feels important. You will notice I do it myslef right now in this very comment hahaha If ET come on day, they won't be able to destroy or to reduce humanity in slavery, because humanity has a very strong and imprecdictible weapon, arrogance and idiotness! You seems to be quite a pretty face and head at the same time..and I said all these strange things to wake your interest up, on my poor case. maybe you can visit my page, its in frensh exept music wich is mostly in a minor, but also C or B or not to B

t. moron who thinks only Germans can be good composers

youtube.com/watch?v=2-Bjp9jptbM

How will formalists ever recover?

For the record, it was not my intention to pique boganon's shitposting interests and I disavow his involvement.

These are good. They're very much moored to ye olde chant tradition or eastern music (in Tavener's case). Really makes you think, eh? [spoiler]:^) ____ I had to.[/spoiler]

Watch Amadeus and you shall see why. Mozart put him in the shadows

Legrenzi

youtube.com/watch?v=-1CUol8EvnI

>the shadows

More like the bog.

I just died laughing. So true

youtube.com/watch?v=KUe7hpazMi8

touchpianist.com/
Is there anything kinda like this but better

Reginald Kell, Busch Quartet (1937)

All Baroque is sad because it's just empty counterpoint. A giant etude that in its own tautology.

>ad nasum
It's "ad nauseam" (lit. "to nausea"). "Ad nasum" is (grammatically awkward) latin for "to on the nose".

Subjective opinion: his music is somewhat boring, and I can clearly see past his formulaicity most of the time. This does not happen with Haydn, who also was one of the greatest pedagogues in history.

Amadeus is based on a Pushkin tragedy, the relationship between Mozart and Salieri depicted in the movie is completely inaccurate.

Also Salieri was way more famous than Mozart in his lifetime, but Mozart was the preferred choice by his contemporary composers.

Anyone know where I can find some PDF's of the Oxford History of Western Music? I've been told it's the ultimate classical music history books but the whole set will cost me 200 dollars in my country, something I can't afford.

gen (dot) lib [dot] rus {dot} ec
You'll find it there, I just searched.

>Roomful of Teeth
Kitsch. Too gimmicky. They go from spoken word to barber shop vocals to gregorian chant style singing to mongolian throat singing (and more) all in the course of a couple of minutes. Nothing ever settles in. They whizz through vocal techniques just because. Good as an exercise, or good if you want a fast and quick reader's digest into various world music singing styles, but meh on its own merits.

>gen (dot) lib [dot] rus {dot} ec

Thanks a bunch, mate.

upboated xD

man, the people who shittalk liszt and chopin here clearly haven't heard some of their better work

of course if you spend all day listening to chopin's nocturnes and liszt's etudes they're going to seem like shallow garbage

They're either not pianists, or jealous pianists.

post the good shit then

youtube.com/watch?v=pe-GrRQz8pk

youtube.com/watch?v=kDP3QJyun0I

youtube.com/watch?v=IeKMMDxrsBE

youtube.com/watch?v=9n-GrOpTOjs

yeah, no thanks

dude thats like an hour of music, how you managed to listen to it all in under 40 minutes is impressive

>trying to trick me into listening to chopin

not this time satan

Man I forgot how good this disc was.

Ya'll underrate Copland, seriously.

or maybe hes already heard them

make me not hate bartok

I get gassy at night but I can't fart.

youtube.com/watch?v=fbAO2Y1zlII

S U C H

P

O

O

K

Y

Whoa never mind. Real interpretation worse than a midi, like clockwork.

youtu.be/0xU-p9wmSqg?t=399

>they sound like every other Liszt and Chopin composition
I'll be honest, I've tried so hard to resist the "chopin and liszt are bad composer" but I've failed: I truly can't find any merit in their music.
The only time I can appreciate it is when I play it. Reading the scores and listening to it it's a bore.

Bach definitely sounds more similar to other bach than chopin does to other chopin

actually no, i take that back

but I definitely wouldn't say all chopin sounds too samey and repetitive

Literally everything Bog ever made is based on this shit. You can copypaste parts of his first composition into his last one and no one would notice.

Are any of Liszt's transcriptions and paraphrases worth having a look at? I've been through Reminiscences de Norma and Reminiscences de Don Juan, but they seemed very shouty and clunky.

upboated xD

I like Liszt
redpill me

depending on what Liszt you like, you might not need redpilling

post your top five liszt pieces

>daDAda
>DAdaDA
>descending scale
>daDAda
>ascending scale
>DAdaDA
>descending scale
>...claaang
>daDAda
>DAdaDA
>descending scale
>daDAda
>ascending scale
>DAdaDA
>descending scale
>...claaang

youtu.be/thtVvQgUyC4?t=12s

>oh wow here comes the modulation i wonde-
>daDAda
>DAdaDA
>descending scale
>daDAda
>ascending scale
>DAdaDA
>descending scale
>...claaang
>daDAda
>DAdaDA
>descending scale
>daDAda
>ascending scale
>DAdaDA
>descending scale
>...claaang

Fact: Mozart is underrated
Fact: Mozart is objectively the greatest composer of all time
Fact: If Mozart isn't your favorite composer, his music is literally 2deep4u and you have low musical IQ
Fact: Considering the vastness of his catalogue, and the fact that one can only truly appreciate him in depth. There is literally zero (0) reason to listen to any other composer than Mozart.

upboated xD

wow these are fun facts do u have any more?

I am a bogposter and I'm starting to think Mozart arguments, regardless of their nature, are deployed to derail a thread whenever Bog or Peathoven are getting smashed in the comments since Mozart's music is so frivolous and easy and talk about and/or make fun of.

>Bogh
>Peathoven

I am a genuine Mozart poster, and I don't personally hold neither Bach or Beethoven in particularly high regard. Bach being too academic (wherein his value is found) and Beethoven being too vulgar.

Also;

[FURTHER PROOF INTENSIFIES]

Petzold

He was twink faggot m8

>pic unrelated, a composer who made music that didn't sound like bourgeois sodomizing

is Rachmaninoff w&b?

>Beethoven being too vulgar.

He wasn't vulgar enough.

I hate this board so much...

Maybe his fugues (with some notable exceptions), but that's a problem of the form itself. When you look at his repertoire you find extreme variety and an unmatched ability of adaptation to each genre he touched.

>but I definitely wouldn't say all chopin sounds too samey and repetitive
I would. There are certain harmonic and melodic progressions and certain ornamentations that he uses costantly. Sometimes he deviates from his norm, but usually in a almost formulaic way, in the sense that those deviations will themselves be used tenths of times in pther compositions.

He had a very limited musical language. It is understandable, since he spent most of his time bedridded and the time that remained was to be divided in composition, studying and piano practice (he was a pianist first, composer second), still this does not change my response to his music, which is usually boredom if not frustration.

I'm like bitch who is your man's? ay
can't keep my dick in my pants ay

>beethoven is too vulgar

Why?

Anyone who says Bach sounds same-y hasn't listened to a lot of Bach.

How does key signatures relate to me practically?

I pretty much memorized all the major keys but how do I utilize that knowledge?

I REALLY REALLY REALLY FUCKING HATE THIS BOARD!!!
ARG HHHHHHHHGAHGAHSGAHSFGGHGAsI REALLY REALLY REALLY FUCKING HATE THIS BOARD!!!
ARGHHHHHHHHGAHGAHSGAHSFGGHGAsI REALLY REALLY REALLY FUCKING HATE THIS BOARD!!!
ARGHHHHHHHHGAHGAHSGAHSFGGHGAsI REALLY REAL LY REAL LY FUCKING HATE THIS BOARD!!!
ARGHHHHHHHHGAHGAHSGAHSFGGHGAsI REALLY REALLY REALLY FUCKING HATE THIS BOARD!!!
ARGHHHHHHHHGAHGAHSGAHSFGGHGAsI REALLY REA LLY REALLY FUCKING HATE THIS BOARD!!!
ARGHHHHHHH HGAHGAHSGAHSFGGHGAsI REALLY REALLY REALLY FUCKING HATE THIS BOARD!!!
ARGHHHHHHHHGAHGAHSGAHSFGGHGAs

>how do they help
They help your sightreading, also they make organizing notes on the score ifinitely easier. That's it.

>2 buttons meme
>beethoven's squalid aesthetic should be celebrated as a life-affirming cry of the blablabla
>period instruments were much quieter friendo
>:^)

youdubber.com/index.php?video=yTU8WbTbZMI&video_start=42&audio=Ezg68znooJ8&audio_start=2

M U D

A

D

Starting today it is my life's mission to get a piano string out of some piano Chopin used, find you, and strangle you with it.

AT LEAST USE YOUr BUZZWORDS IN EVERY POST YOU MOTHERFUCKER REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THE FILTER IS NOT CATCHING IT
I AM SICK OF BOGPOSTING DIE YOU FUCKER

AAAAAARRRRRGHHHHH

Can you samefag less please?

Reminder that Chopin's smallest piece is INCOMMENSURABLY more musical than anything Bog made.

youtube.com/watch?v=u3MqFP0-ekU

>2 buttons meme
What?
>beethoven's squalid aesthetic should be celebrated as a life-affirming cry of the blablabla
well, it was life-affirming, what arguments have you got to think the contrary? That said the bombastic, heroic aesthetic is something that he reserved for very few major compositions, almost never in his piano sonatas and string quartets.
Also fuck off for having used the adjective "squalid"

>period instruments were much quieter friendo
This strawman is wrong. The period instruments were quieter, but Beethoven wanted them to be louder anyway.
>inb4 fireman composer
Fuck off, the whole art pompier trope was meant to identify people in the romantic era who used loudness to hide a lack of sophistication in their composition. It has nothing to do with Beethoven's music, and loudness is not a flaw per se.

Tl;dr: why the fuck do I keep responding to baits

ALSO:

Can you samefag less please?

Hello!

Newfriend here, what is this meme?

Haha thanks!

Petzold

>no 13

muh nigga

over the past couple months I got really good at interval recognition, what should I do now to further my ear training?

You don't want to know. It's funnier if you don't know. I'm starting to feel sorry for the bogposter.