Explain the ending of The Shining to me

Explain the ending of The Shining to me.

Other urls found in this thread:

christianhubert.com/writings/smooth_striated.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He had become The Shining

losing credits or end credits are a list of the cast and crew of a particular motion picture, television program, or video game. Where opening credits appear at the beginning of a work, closing credits appear close to, or at the very end of a work. A full set of credits can include the cast and crew, but also production sponsors, distribution companies, works of music licensed or written for the work, various legal disclaimers, such as copyright and more. Some long-running productions list "production babies".

The closing credits are usually typed and appear in white lettering on a solid black background, featuring no sound effects or dialogue, only a musical background, sometimes the works' theme music. Credits are either static and flip from page to page, or scroll as a single list from the bottom of the screen to the top. Occasionally closing credits will divert from this standard form to either scroll in another direction, include illustrations, extra scenes, bloopers, joke credits and post-credits scenes.

Time is a flat circle user

It was all just a dream

Jack became the Overlook Hotel.

He was the caretaker.
He was always the caretaker.

Why is he doing the baphomet hand gesture?

They were setting things up for the sequel

he had to forget about it, because it was chinatown

Oh.

Either the hotel absorbed him og he was a reincarnation of a former resident/staffmember

Explain the bathroom scene to me

He was a spirit that the hotel sent out into the world to get Danny into the hotel so it could kill him.

redrum

it was the cook

Explain this scene to me

you must be a fucking idiot, scene was to show that the moon landing was fake

Furries pressured Kubrick back then to be represented in Hollywood.

explain this scene

what was the helicopter shadow supposed to represent?

God

I think this is actually accurate. It kind of possessed him in both life and death.

Something to do with Jack, spirits, and the previous owner of the Hotel who murdered his twins that Danny sees.

did jack have the shining too. did the kid plot to kill his dad from the beginning and shined him into madness

It was all a dream

Don't know, but the fact that he's using the Hermetic symbol "as above, so below" might be a key in deciphering it. 2001 is basically a huge nod to the Gnostic understanding of creation and technology.

The Helicopter only shows up in the video releases, since when show in theaters they use a matte to cut the tops and bottom of the screen off to cover stuff like that and boom mikes. So it was never intended to be seen, and it really isn't a mistake either since it was standard to use a matte.

jack had the shining, the nigger cook told the kid some people cant control it and become bad

Is this true?
Makes sense, and it always seemed so weird for someone like Kubrick to not notice that or let it slide on a "fuck it" kind of attitude

the helicopter is the key to all this.

no, name another movie where cameraman shadow or boom mics can be seen

Wow

The hotel is built on an Indian burial ground, Jack was the caretaker in the 20s and was reincarnated, just like Grady, the last caretaker who killed his family. Grady was reincarnated as the butler.

The twins are Grady's murdered daughters.

Black cook survives and cucks jack's wife.

perdita durango

"You have always been the caretaker" (to Mr. Torrance).

In the end all work and no play made Jack a dull boy. I thought this was clear.

The Jews drove Jack insane and then absorbed him into the past after he froze

he's experiencing an after life, the guy that communicates with danny is living

I thought the ending was metaphorical, not literal, showing how he's just like Grady who came before him. But now in retrospect, I'm thinking it's literal...

Another possibility is that the hotel "absorbed" him into the image. It is haunted after all.

>I'm thinking it's literal...
It is because theres a deleted scene where wendy talks to the hotel manager at the end and he tells her they cant find Jack's body

I've read the book. I forget who the man getting blown is, pretty sure it's not the president, but he is an important figure. Might have been the hotel owner.

The "bear" is actually a dog. The guy getting blown would make the "dog" guy do embarassing tricks in front of people. They're kinky fuckers.

I actually feel useful for once.

underrated

So the hotel absorbed him into its past, instead of him being Grady?

Can't remember either, but yeah, it was a dog. Where jack takes a drink in the movie, there's a party where there are some furries, I think.

It was deleted, though. They could easily have thrown that scene in and didn't. Where do you think that leaves your theory?

what did he mean by this?

Yeah. The book is really fucking good. There are some important things in the book which are left out of the film.

The biggest thing which comes to mind is the fact that Jack abandoned his writing project and instead began trying to write a non-fiction book about the history of the hotel. As a result he collected newspaper clippings and that kind of thing. There's a popular theory about the movie which I also can't remember right now, but when you know about the newspaper clippings it debunks it.

when you die there, your soul forever remains with the hotel, hence him being in the photograph

>Where do you think that leaves your theory?
It leaves me correct

The whole thing was a hallucination, none of it was real, none of it happened.

Other movie facts:

Stanley Kubrick TORTURED Shelly Duvall (Wendy Torrance). You will find him mocking her even in the movie itself. For example, check the scene with Danny in the psychiatrist's office and look at the Goofy doll in the background, which is wearing the same outfit as Shelly's character.

The real room in the book is 217 (IIRC). The reason it was changed to 237 wasn't because of some conspiracy theory, it was because the hotel really had a room 217 and thought people might be put off of staying there if they labelled it room 217 in the film.

The weapon in the book is a mallet not an axe.

Jack Torrance has severe daddy issues.

Tony might be the future version of Danny, can't remember now...

I should probably read the book again.

reminder the film has nothing to do with the book at all

the film is about the break down of the american family unit. jack is an alcoholic who molests his son and abuses his wife

there are no ghosts

wendy seeing the bear is her coming to the realization that her husband made their son blow him

best scene

>Wendy? Darling? Light, of my life. I'm not gonna hurt ya. You didn't let me finish my sentence. I said, I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just going to bash your brains in! Gonna bash 'em right the fuck in!

I buy the breakdown of the American family unit bit, but the rest sounds a little dubious. I'd be interested in hearing you expound on this theory though if you've got more to say in the way of substantiating it.

best quote

christianhubert.com/writings/smooth_striated.html

The hotel was a smooth space (see Rob ager's video on how the hotel's space shifts and moves). Jack thought he could control it (see the scence in which he lords over the maze, he thinks it is a logical striated space). In the end he gets fucked since the maze is actually a smooth space. Danny knows its a smooth space so he out smarts Jack by improvising.

>Tony might be the future version of Danny, can't remember now...
He is, the sequel book doctor sleep confirms that

I doubt it... I have read the theory and the bear references... But that bear is a dog. I know the movie isn't an exact replica of the book, but it's not an entirely different story (á la Lawnmower Man). The blowjob scene is an obvious book reference IMO. Otherwise it's coincidentally very similar.

its not really dubious the film is very self explanatory

who hurt danny in room 237? obviously not ghosts, fucking jack did.

he has had a history of abuse before and his talk with danny on the bed is creepy as fuck and implies he has had sexual relations with him

thats why danny calls tony 'the boy who lives in my mouth' because jack has been making him suck his dick

jack isnt being possessed at the end with the axe, hes just drunk because he brought his own liquor

The Overlook hotel "absorbed" Jack into it's history. Same with it "absorbed" Grady.

That whole scene brought back memories of my parents, minus the physical abuse. My dad was the master of verbal antagonizing, and my mom was a pushover, and would often get brought to tears.

The part with Jack seething about "did you ever think about ME?!" is the same way my dad would argue against my mom.

I'm starting to think he was influenced by Nicholson growing up

I almost don't want to read that book. The Shining was so perfect as a standalone, Jack Torrance is my favorite villain of all time and the best character in the book. I don't think it's possible for King to make the original book any more poignant, but could certainly ruin it with a shitty sequel.

Proof that just because an adaptation is faithful to the source material doesn't mean it's good or better than a previous attempt.

The movie was always intended to be open matte

As above, so below.

Ive always been tempted to watch that just to see how much different and worse it is

LE ENDING

ENDING@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well certain tweaks needed to be made such as the hedge maze. It makes for a far better movie that way...

But I mean the miniseries had no chance of competing with the movie anyway... Jack Nicholson IS The Shining, in fact, all of the characters and even Kubrick come together in the most perfect harmony. You can't replicate that. The setting, everything.

Now as for the weapon... The mallet works better in the book and is more frightening as a mallet... But in the movie an axe works better, because there's no room for author adjectives to build up our terror of the blunt trauma weapon.

One big thing in the book that wasn't in the movie is that Jack wasn't all evil, he tries to fight the hotels corruption till the end. King wrote it at a time when he had just become a father and he was also battling alcoholism, so it makes sense that the book was largely about a man who wanted to be good to his family but would end up slowly succumbing to evil. The movie does a lot of good things with visuals and suspense, but it's a shame just how gutted the characters and story are in comparison.

I don't remember much of it but don't go in thinking of it as "worse". It's different... It's not as amazing as the movie, but not many things are. It's worth a watch.

Sounds more like your pedo incest fantasies.

Hmm. I don't know.

>obviously not ghosts
How'd Jack get out of the pantry?

>his talk with danny on the bed is creepy as fuck
A lot of what Jack does is creepy, it doesn't necessarily imply anything sexual as much as I'd usually believe it coming from Kubrick.

>he brought his own liquor
I don't think there'd be any reason to keep this hidden from the viewer were it the case. Maybe that's not a case against its plausibility, but still, I'm skeptical. It's an interesting theory. I do like the idea of Tony being Jack's dick. That's kind of funny.

blade runner

why flat?

>it was because the hotel really had a room 217 and thought people might be put off of staying there if they labelled it room 217 in the film.

The Overlook hotel isn't real.

reverse that for me and we have the same story

Doctor Sleep is fucking awful. I hated every single page of it.

The sad thing is that it had so much potential. Instead we got "Shining vampires" and muh alcoholism.

>More faithful
>Completely re-writes the ending into some stupid saccharine sweet everyone is happy version

Hated it. Also King's dialogue is really awkward when read out loud. I was practically cringing everytime he screamed "little pup" (which was a lot".

hur dur i watched a documentary about the shining

I don't think there was any potential. The story was told and we didn't need to know anymore.

Honestly I like the miniseries better than the movie, but it's not really a horror movie like Kubrick's is. It's best to go into it with the mindset that for the most part the only real similarities it has with the movie are the names of the characters and the setting.

Jack became The Shining™

I know... I'm referring to the hotel they used for the movie exterior shot.

the old version of danny was sent out to get modern danny? but aren't they the same person?

your mom was the alpha of the house?

it's a scary mask

Not a Nicholson fan? The Shining just isn't the same without him. What a perfect actor for the role.

even this scene as well

The Jack Nicholson character in that photo is the original caretaker, and a tormented soul/demon/etc. Imagine another actor playing Jack Torrence up until the moment he enters the lobby for the interview - from that point on the original caretaker begins to take control over him.

Nicholson was perfect for the role of Kubrick's Jack Torrence, but not Kings. Both actors did a great job with the roles they had.

this

He could have been perfect, the problem is he starts off seeming crazy right from scene 1, we never see the kind loving Jack that he was at first. Even Kubrick admits this was a mistake.

I was cringing more at the awful hedge animal CGI, ghost makeup and the tryhard attempt at making the bath tub lady scary. Also the unintentional comedy like Wendy slipping on a ball.

She's psychotic and abusive.

My father ended up being a pushover, probably because didn't know how to handle her. Grew up in a small town, everyone else had normal lives/wives, but he caught a crazy one.

I have a lifetime of scarring memories ever since I can remember of my mother having top-level insane ward freakouts since I was just a child. This was normal for me at age 5. She would give me 3 hour long lectures about how the world will end and how will i support myself when they are gone, I was around 10 to 12. She would hit me when I did things wrong. Teenage years, the psychological abuse only got worse.

She set a lot of really bad things in my life into motion.

She also turned my father into a distant asshole in the process because he couldn't handle a son while also stomaching a wife that has borderline personality disorder, bipolar disorder and violent outbursts.

I wrote a movie script around this relationship I have with my parents. It was probably the best part of my healing process.

My family is fucked.

>Kubrick made every member of the cast and crew be cold to and ignore Shelly Duvall just to break her down and make her feelings of isolation real
Based