mathsisfun.com/algebra/trig-solving-sas-triangles.html
youtube.com/watch?v=oCIo4MCO-_U
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Here it is.

rlly smrt

/thread

its 30

Smart enough not to do your homework...

Aren't 20 and 30 exterior angles? But yet 60 plus 50 aren't equivalent to either...?

/thread

correct

can you please explain how you worked out the 110/30 angle and the 50/80 angle in the middle please.

I have everything else including the 50 and 40 that goes next to them, but can't work out those to bits, which I obviously need to work out x.

He can't, because he didn't actually work it out.

There are a many solutions, not just one. See attached picture.
Both sets of three angles (three on the left, three on the right) yield what is essentially the same equation, so whatever you choose for one of them determines the second one, as long as 0° < x < 140° and 0° < y < 140°

Every triangle and straight angle is 180 degrees.
It's just simple addition.

achkchualy

Last time this was posted there were also a lot of faggots who claimed that there were many (or no) solutions. It's incomprehensible to me how people can have such an extreme lack of intuition for basic geometry. You don't have to calculate anything, looking at the figure for 2 seconds tells you that there is one and only one solution. Finding that solution is of course much more difficult.

El Pys Congroo

Then pythagorean theorem will measure your distances.
Good rule of thumb, don't you think?

Dude, There is an amazing world of adventures around us, and I'm on /b

That's how intelligent we are

/thread

Yeah thanks buddy, I understand that much.
Care to explain how it helps when I have this, though?

Fail.

Also 50 degrees.
60+20 = 80
180 - 50 -80 = 50

well, enlighten me. I posted I can see from that x+y=140 (once again), but I don't see WHY there is only one solution.

I verified that there is only one solution though.

Of course there's only one solution, it's fucking maths.

just like x^2 = 4 only has one solution, right?
I know this is Sup Forums, but if you're gonna troll at least make an effort.

my teachers always warned me about judging the drawing to determine angles.

never trust the drawing, only trust the angles.

so "it's a little less than 90', it must be 80'" is not acceptable.

This might help you fags

Like I said, it's intuition. If you see a triangle with two known angles, and you're asked what the third angle is, you immediately know that there is only one solution, without having to actually calculate it. Similarly, if only one angle is known, ans you're asked what one of the other two angles are, you don't need to calculate anything to intuitively know that there is an infinite amount of solutions. This figure is the same, you see in two seconds that enough angles in it are known so that the remaining unknown angles cannot have infinite solutions.

It's not about trusting the drawing, it's about recognizing that enough angles are known to determine all the unknown ones.

Angle 130? That's an acute angle so your measurements are all fucking wrong.

I see how you got that 20 degree angle at the top there, so you take that 20, and that 30 degree angle at the bottom right to get 50, then your green angle is that 130 minus 50 to get 80, your green angle is 80, leaving 80 plus 70 150, leaving x to equal 30.

its find the x not x+y faggot

in this case you know :

50 + ? + ? = 180
and
40 + x + ? = 180.

how do you make that jump?

Disregard that first part of the comment.

Definitely possible, through the use of Law of Sines and Cosines. You ascribe a length of one to the two sides, which allows you to find the base of the triangle.

Then, use Law of Sines to find all lengths, except for the line above X. You can then drop an altitude from Angle X, and use it to find the length of the side above X. You know can use law of Sines to find X.

Not the fastest way, necessarily, but it would work non the less, so it is indeed solvable.

I was actually interested in finding the reasoning behind the proposed values, which are correct.

I have offered my ideas and you have proven unable to explain why, in addition to the relation x+y=140, there is only one actual solution - you have been unable to provide any sort of calculation to back this up.

I have decided that you don't know either, but hey, it's the internet, right.

Once again, that knowledge is unnecessary. All you need is your intuition.

intuition... mathematics... and the infinite space inbetween the two.

716165519 here. I second what you said, but I feel that the whole task is misleading, as the picture suggests that all you need to know is already there - e.g. the angles.

you are very wrong

This isn't even challenging. It's just a 3x redundant 2 step process.

Give me a challenge and I will partake,

Read this, learn, now you know
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langley’s_Adventitious_Angles

you are a fucking unhelpful arrogant piece of shit

you can find ONE missing value with TWO knowns.

you can't find TWO missing value with ONE known.

x = 21.286 degrees

>Find as many angles as you can using the 180 rule
>Find the edge lengths. Start off by assigning an arbitrary length to one of the sides
Use this: mathsisfun.com/algebra/trig-solving-sas-triangles.html

You end up with x = 21.29

What are you talking about?
Where are you getting "the green angle is 130-50" from? Where is this 50 that you're going to minus from 130?

You've completely fabricated it.

All right, seeing as some people need it spelled out for them: Let's say that there is more than one solution. In that case, changing x from one solution to another will cause one or more of the triangles in the figure to no longer be triangles, because the lines in the figure will not line up properly anymore. To fix that, other angles will also have to be changed. Among those angles are those whose values are already set, ie. the ones that were known from the beginning. If you change those values, you have a completely different puzzle. That's why this puzzle has one and only one solution.

The angle is π/6 I've seen this exact problem before, I just can't remember how to get there

>knowing basic geometry makes you smart
keep that bar low, user

Like fucking shit I am, and didn't want to fall for your ridiculous bullshit bait and your stupid childish crap and save this fucking image to solve your stupid multiple problems. But here it goes.

Wrong again.

Thanks, this helped!

Ez pz lemon squizy

Oh my god are you mad?

Where have you conjured that 50 in blue from?
Why are you going to minus 50 from 130?

Pack of fags don't know shit I found x in about a second it's up near the top of the triangle just have a proper look and you'll see it too!

the fuck from you took idea that 50*s angles are equal , nothing says that

nice trips butthole samefag

youtube.com/watch?v=oCIo4MCO-_U

youre just fucking quessing theres 50 and 80 on left green

fucking nigger stole a piece of my g

What this guy said you've pulled those numbers out of your ass. Why are you taking 50 from 130 you nutcase.

first of, is it 2D surface or not? ... when this information has not been given, you cannot solve this.

its surface of your anus

Y'ALL FUCKING PLEBS HERE

Just in case people are still too retarded to get this, here is a graphical explanation.

your system seems wrong. those are not lndependent equations.

80 degrees nigga
>faggot

All you need to know *is* already there.