How feasible is it to have an apartment and a somewhat decent life in the US without going to college?

How feasible is it to have an apartment and a somewhat decent life in the US without going to college?

Other urls found in this thread:

profoundlydisconnected.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

work 100 hours a week.

140 hours a week here, got a 2 bedroom

How is that even possible

Be a tradesman. Electrician or Plumber if you're smart, HVAC or Carpenter if not. Stay away from drywall and stucco, unless you speak espanol.

Become a skilled craftsmen in a mentor-ship program.

Legitimately skilled contractors are in low supply and high demand

I can't really explain, I have to go to work

Yup. I bill out my carpenters @ $42.50/hr for general work, finish is more piece rate, plumbers, electricians around $70 and HVAC around $55-60. Most of the guys in those trades work an apprenticeship for 3-4 years a b/w $15-$20/hr then when they get their certs the make north of $35 to start.
Four year college degrees are becoming more worthless every year.

>31

>Weatherization technician (40 hour work weeks)

>No extended education beyond high school except pertaining to my specific field

>$5,400 a month gross income ($64,800 annually)

>2 bedroom apartment

>My own game room

>2016 Yamaha R1

>2003 Lincoln Aviator

>1997 Honda Prelude

>1993 Nissan Sentra

The point is, going to college is completely overrated and I'm doing a shit load better than 99% of the people I know who went to it, maybe 10% of them are working in their educated field.

profoundlydisconnected.com/

And you're probably not $100,000 in debt. College is for snobby suckers.

That's because the idea of college is saturated with bullshit unmarketable majors like 'dance therapy'

If you're in S.T.E.M and know your shit you can make a damn good wage.

Debt free, ironically my sister is $65,000 in debt and working at a Starbucks.

I failed out of college and I currently own a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home (mortgage). I work in IT.

>2016 Yamaha R1
How's that treating you?

Depends on what you call "decent" user.
Apartments rent based on location and neighborhood. The cheap ones can be in real shit locations.

As for work is right.
Base your career on what you like to do and want to do or it's going to be a grind.
selling cars is lucrative if you are a good salesanon. Mechanics can make decent income. Bartenders do well but it can be shitty if the bar sucks.

I live very comfortably without any college. Barely passed high school. Have a good work ethic and be willing to meet and talk with people and you'll be just fine.

Steel mill machine operator btw

Woah how did you do it?

It's been wonderful so far, coming off of a 2006 R6.

All depends on where you live. For example, I live in western PA and I am able to live comfortably (decent car and rent a house) on around $3000 a month. Cost of living in my area is very low. But in places like new york, florida, and cali I imagine that this is simply now possible

wtf. i work 40 hours a week, no college, make 15usd/hr, easily afford a 1 bedroom. ive lived alone in a 1 bedroom on $12.50/hr 40hr weeks

What's that job like?

If youve got 1/2 a brain between your ears you'll be fine.

100k+ base pay as a union emp. OT and benefits on top of that. No degree, and can get a job almost anywhere in the country.

Just have an open mind and be willing to teach yourself, or learn, something new everyday.

Got an A+ IT certification after working at a warehouse taking apart and re-purposing computers. Got hired on to be IT at a company that pays $45,000 a year, mostly thanks to those two things.

For that very reason, College is a for-profit scam. Knowingly selling students worthless degrees that will never have any practical use in the real world.

What job? Was it easy to get it?

Nice.
Is the job actually as easy as the meme?

STEM is the biggest fucking scam in college. Less than 35% of STEM grads work in STEM fields. Well, nothing is as big a scam as the gender/racial studies and shit that's always useless, but for the amount that STEM is pushed down the general public's throat, they are sadly pretty useless degrees when a lot of that shit is farmed out overseas are given to H1B Indians.

Down payment and closing costs aside (around 8K-10K), monthly mortgage is around $1,000 a month. I live with my girlfriend who chips in for that and utilities.

Incredibly easy. I do maybe 1 hour of actual work a week. The rest is browsing the net or watching movies.

It's pretty legit to be honest, I mean it's hard work but it's very rewarding work that's actually benefiting people and making their lives better.

Bill Gates never went to college and he's one of the richest people in the world.

what's the official title for the job? I looked it up but couldn't find anything

>your
>aloud

He actually dropped out of Harvard.

Easy as fuck. I'm a salesman/operations manager and I make $95k, which is low considering my responsibilities, but I'm 28 and figured I could still keep earning. Just learn a skill, or learn something that makes your knowledge valuable. I learned everything I could working in the warehouse at a pipe, valve, and fitting shop, then worked my way up.

Sorry, I meant

It depends. Are you a prostitute? Also which city?

electro-mechanical repair tech. yeah it was easy to get. they hire right out of high school, just gotta prove you can handle somewhat complex technical work

That's because the Indians that come to college here work harder.

They're weird little monkies and don't shower too often but they know how to work.

And for all that, they don't know how to use toilets until they move here.

Completely.

tfw i'm 23 and have a 2br apartment for $450/mo and i only work a shitty part-time job

Get into a trade and be half-ass responsible with your money. I mean, depending on what you mean by "decent", you could do this working retail full-time. In any case, just be productive and keep climbing the ladder.

That's nice and all, but unless you start your own successful business you will never be making more than that.

Meanwhile people who actually went to college will be making double that when your 36, and quadruple that when your 50 on average with a good degree.

25, Apartment in NYC, 102K, no college.

Tech man, it's all about the tech industry. Just bone up on a programming language, idgaf if you don't like it, it's about the only career path that's a near true meritocracy.

its pretty easy actually, i work like no more than 25 hours a week and i have my own place. you just gotta find the right job

Is it not grueling with the management structure in software development?

where do you live where the cost of living is so comically low?

I only have about a semester of college.
However, I have a 3bedroom apartment, a kid, and only work about 45 hours a month on average.
I also live in an expensive city.

How did I do it? By not being an idiot and getting into a well(ish) paying trade early on. Be good at something, and you can make it.

Or just suck dicks.

Learn a trade or craft, get an apprenticeship or get a roommate or two and a shit job that's somehow connected to better ones.

>40 hour work week
>~2.2k/mo gross
>1.4k/mo net
>Would be nicer if i didnt have taxes raeping me. plus obamacare dumbfuckery, forcing me to have med ins basically.

Somewhat correct, but the US is still importing a lot of tech under the H1B program b/c they work for 60% of Americans.

Wisconsin. i'm 5 blocks away from Lake michigan though, its not like i'm in some cow barn or anything, its pretty nice here. town has a population of 55,000. an hour to Milwaukee and green bay. comfy af

How is that possible? Where do you live

software engineer. have a few years of college but no degree.

Yes, possible.

look up

What job did you get?

like this user said
im self employed 24 years
NEVER worried about a job
got into trades
2 houses and a small town fixit shop later

Yo I didn't go to college. I make 11 dollars an hour. I have an apartment, car, and love my life. I mean, I gotta figure out the next few steps bc I want some shit that I can't afford but its doable OP.

Tips:
-don't jump into buying an apartment. I looked around every day and found one that was perfect for me. Clean, cheaper, and in a great location

-eat at home. I haven't eaten fast food in 6 months. I pay as much for my daily food intake as I would for one trip to chipotle or Wendy's

-learn what you need and don't. I used to think I needed pop for example. Then I realized that $10 a week I spend on pop could be saved for other shit

The sad thing is that you actually believe this.

You live in Wisconsin, so no shit you pay much less, no one wants to live in Wisconsin.

Come to the greater Seattle area, the average rent for a nice apartment is $900 more than you pay.

How come everyone says you can't pull an apartment on minimum wage?

>voluntarily living in hipster/womynist central.

Depends entirely on where you live.

Even with our incoming $13.50 an hour MW in Washington it's not even a sustainable living.

Yeah, and the money he made and the debt he didn't incur and spend 10 fucking years paying off will still have him ahead of a guy that works his way from $35K to $90K after 15 years.

do an Internet search for high paying jobs that only require a two degree. pick one that sounds good to you. then find a community college in TN or OR (or another state where the first two year of community college are paid for by the state) and that offers a two year degree in that job speciality.

>implying you couldn't have gone to a top public college 10 years ago and come out debt free in a few years making decent money at an entry level job

whats the average rent for a non-fancy 1br about 45 min away from seattle?

Thanks mate

In orange county I was able to rent a room in someone's house for $850 a month. Apartments were over $1200 a month easily. I should consider moving to the middle of the country. I could probably delete the cats on my car and run boost, too

I'm 32, and own my own airplane. (Cherokee 6). I never went to college, joined the Navy at 18, and now work as an electromechanical tech at a company I love. College is for suckers.

$750-$800

depends where in NY you live. I live in an ok area and do well with only 1800 a month after taxes, near the capitol and not the city.

Some tech colleges are importing the fuckers as students so the kids from that state can't go there.

If you want to live with niggers. It's actually well over 1k now. I used to live in seattle in a fancy 1bdm for 1k a month back in 2009-2011. Fuck that city now.

Idk but here on the westside(the better side) of Cleveland its possible. People just speak what they know nothing about. Its do-able. Trust me.

Pretty easy. Get a gf with as little ambition as you, both work minimum wage full time. Get apartment in 2nd tier or third tier parts of town. So easy.

The economy is turning against you. Ever wonder why the value of a college degree continues to rise? Because the earnings potential of those without one keeps declining. The workforce is hallow, the middle-class is on the way out, we're returning to normal, a type of techno-feudalism. No, technology won't create new jobs like it has in the past. The advances of today aren't about increasing worker productivity, they're about replacing workers.

>Bill Gates never went to college
Yes he did, left after two years because it wasn't enough of a challenge for him

you're welcome. in all honesty this is something i've been looking into recently as a possibility for my son. i bet you will shocked at the types of jobs that only require two year degrees and the high pay you can get.

Lincoln Aviator
Honda Prelude
Nissan Sentra

why brag about having 3 beater cars?

Learn a trade, like welding.

got to get that 'diversity' to make the left happy.

Don't just look at earning potential, you have to worry about automation as well. This is the age of robots. There is a reason factories are moving back to the U.S., and it's not Trump. Machines, friend. Why hire 2000 Chinese when you can move your factory back to the U.S. and hire 140 Americans. Why operate retail outlets when you can operate a kiosk at a high-traffic area? Imagine a machine that makes hamburgers, one that fetches items from factories, one that loads bags on airplanes, etc.

the lincoln and the prelude arent that bad :^]

17.50hr,40+a week as low level customer service mnger at Home Depot,hs diploma. Live near the beach in the deep south,decent apt is $850month all utilities paid.No nig nogs nearer to the coast. Divorced,40s,I hit up bitches online and barhoppers for cummies...life's good....

>without going to college

I own my own property management company. The company own three complexes, five individual apartment buildings, and 75 houses. We additionally do the management of 80 privately held units.

I make enough to be quite comfortable.

But that being said, since I was 19 years old (36 now) I've been working my ass off. When I first started out flipping houses I was working seven days a week, 12-18 hours a day to rebuild the properties.

I swore up and down once I had enough employees I'd start offloading my workload. Thats yet to happen thiugh. I work 6 days most weeks, 14 hour days.

May as well post my story

>23
>last semester in college for Psych BS
>absolutely no prospects for real work there unless I go to grad school
>work at a nearby hospital doing lab work
>$14 an hour, yearly raises and full benefits, work 7 on/7 off nights, work 70 hours but get paid for 80
>small but very cozy 1 bed 1 bath apartment by myself
>fantastic bf but not many friends outside work
>mid-high end computer for entertainment needs

You just have to find some opportunity you can put yourself into fully and you'll climb the corporate ladder and earn enough to live on your own. Just be smart with your money.

>there being a better side of Cleveland
Akron is the better side of Cleveland

Very cool of you to share.

Thanks everyone for responding, I really fucking appreciate it knowing I'm not fucked.

Anything is possible with a solid work ethic and some drive.

I hate saying this, because it comes off as either a. not true, or b. gloating.

I intend it as neither of those things. I am saying this to hopefully offer some motivation.

In 2007 I was evicted and sleeping in the backseat of my car. I was bouncing around from unemployed to employed for a month or two, but hated every second of those 'jobs to pay the bills'. Alcoholic. Hated by everyone. Hated myself.

I planned to kill myself in the summer of 2008. Bought a S&W .38 special. I drove to the boat ramp of a river I grew up near. It was my special place as a kid. My little go to spot.

I sat, watching the tide roll out and the Philadelphia city lights reflect off of it. I held that gun for an hour, cocking the hammer, decocking the hammer, over and over.

I thought of something. If I was going to end it anyway, then, why not give one last push with everything I had. Fuck it, right? I was a deadman walking anyway. I could always pull out that .38 and in the blink of an eye return to the ether.

I decided I'd give one last push and see what happens, with the weight of the world off my shoulders, because again, I'm gonna check out anyway.

I kept that .38 in my sock drawer for years.

I had GI Bill benefits I never used. I went to college. I bounced around, in love with learning. I finished the BS, then still had some benefits, so fuck it, I'm a dead man anyway, why not try grad school. I graduated tied for top academics in the class.

Fast forward to today.

I am the superintendent of a state facility, and an adjunct professor of psychology. I make 87,000 a year helping people put their lives back together when they've reached the bottom.

I make a living being the help for people that I needed that night sitting on the river bank.

I went back to that river. I threw the gun as far as I could.

You can accomplish and do anything, user. Just know you can. The weight of the world is in your head.

pretty legit post, cool story user. definitely inspiring as im contemplating drowning myself in my roommates left over alcohol..

>paying 8k in taxes
omfg, I guess thats what you get for being a fucking white male

Just another reason to move out there. My father lives in Madison doing telecommunications work for CenturyLink and makes over $100,000/yr while his brother in law is in Sussex getting it in on the union making much more than him.

I did that after my divorce in 09,almost verbatim..(Home Depot user again).My gun was a1911.45 auto fwiw. I sat on a pier from my childhood and looked out over the gulf...by 3 am I'd passed out from tequila,thank Odin for Monte Alban! Woke up covered in dew and seagull shit,tossed the .45 in the drink and went on with my life. Funny you posted this story though,brought back mems....