Box Office: 'The BFG' Could Be Steven Spielberg's Biggest Flop

>Yes, unless Walt Disney pulls off a miracle overseas, Steven Spielberg’s The BFG will be that rarest of things: A Steven Spielberg box office bomb. The $140 million fantasy film, based on a Roald Dahl book, will earn around $22 million over the July 4th holiday.
>Most people will argue that the star-studded and critically-trashed 1941 was Steven Spielberg’s first box office disaster. And while the film did only make $31 million domestic on a $35m budget, it did make $92m worldwide, thus nearly tripling its budget. So for this argument, I would consider it a disappointment rather than an outright disaster.
forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/07/04/box-office-the-bfg-could-be-steven-spielbergs-first-outright-commercial-flop/#6fd5f34751d6

Why don't goyim like Spielberg anymore? Did they not like Schindler's List?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFG_(weapon)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Was the actual movie any good? Not memein'

I feel like cinema altogether is dying as a medium when paying attention to the sales this year

only generic and mindless movies make money while the actual thought-provoking ones are "disappointments" or even "disasters"

>the bfg
>the big fucking giant
Who allowed this?

It has a crappy title that doesn't clue you in to what the movie's about. Also the CGI looked kinda bad in the trailer.

this. the future of entertainment is reaction videos, streams of people playing videogames, vine comedy bits, and the occasional stupid ultraviolent TV show like game of thrones or the walking dead or daredevil.

feature-length movies are old people shit.

Don't worry, chinks and euros will eat that shit up just like they did for Warcraft.

>actual thought-provoking ones are "disappointments" or even "disasters"
Can you name a few movies from this category that were released in the last 2 years?

The fuck did they expect from releasing a movie over 4th of July weekend?

It's already out? Nobody's talking about it.

Havent seen a single trailer for this

Spielberg BTFO
Godard won

It looked really fucking bad, CGI was uncanny as fuck
Also "The BFG"? Thats more of a scifi name, not a kid friendly name. "The Giant" or whatever is a more family friendly name

How can you fuck up a kid's movie?

Parents will literally see it just to get them out of the house

So happy this guy got kicked off Top Gear, marvel BTFO!

Tarzan didn't do too bad

didn't even know this film was coming out this year

literally I didnt even know there was an adaptation coming

>This flopped
>Make another movie that looks exactly like it

Rocket science.

While Hollywood is to blame for the poor state of film making, the signals the audience sends is a clear indicator that people do not want "thought provoking" or original movies anymore: they want sequels and prequels and cinematic universes. Almost all high profile Disney movies featuring a sliver of originality have failed miserably. Not even Steven Spielberg's name can make people go watch a movie that's not part of an already established franchise. Personally I am turned off by the excess of CGI in this film; as a side note I found the almost complete lack of CGI in Bridge of Spies extremely refreshing.

The age of bigguykino is upon us.

>Lets make a children movies!
>fill it full of old english
>and children being eating

>movie about some old fuck
>thinking it will make money

wtf was he thinking?

Yes it did.
Finding Dory did better week 3 than Tarzan did opening weekend.

The BFG is adapted from the Roald Dahl movie you dumbass

Spielberg hasn't been creative in 50 years.

It's fucking Pixar, no one can compete.

Big Friendly Giant?
I've haven't seen any ads for it. I only know it from here.

>$140 million budget on shitty animation.
money laundering. spielberg made lots from this i bet.

I'm honestly perplexed why any studio makes non capeshit anymore

Who actually thought there was a market for Tarzan?

It's a kid's movie, but kids sopped reading Roald Dahl after Harry Potter came out.

will they spent half of the budget of Dory on advertisement, never saw one add for Tarzan or state of jones

probably long before that tb-h

Am I the only one that actually saw the movie????

IT FUCKING SUCKED for spielberg's standards. It sucked for any standards.

Not surprised it flopped

>Roald Dahl movie
>movie

Post good Dahl adaptations.

I was fine, but "Cia and the chocolate agency" got me.

i literally just found out about roald dahl in this thread ask me anything

But BvS made almost $900 mil.?

Roald Dahl was huge throughout my entire childhood, and Harry Potter came out around the time I entered high school.

The James and the Giant Peach movie had just come out a year or two earlier.

Have you seen Gremlins?

>the average poster Sup Forums poster is 14
>they played on iphones and facebook instead of reading children's classics

Why am I not surprised

I didn't hear about the existence of this film until a week ago. That probably has something to do with it. It's a Roald Dahl book for God's sake. They could have spent a bit more on advertising.

Like ID4 2, it made less than $50m on its opening weekend and came in below Finding Dory, now in its third weekend at #1 despite another 46% drop in revenue. That's really not good for a movie with a $180m budget. And, unlike ID4 2, it's not doing moderately well overseas to marginally make up for its failure in the States.

Because they're still taking them to see Finding Dory in droves. Disney should have put The BFG off a ways so as not to get trodden on by the fish movie.

When have tentpole movies ever been particularly thought provoking? The term "mindless summer action movie" exists for a reason - but to be honest, it's mostly those sorts of movies that are failing to achieve great heights this year. If you're really looking at this year's sales, you'd notice that what's making up most of the Top 5 are family films. Sure, Civil War & Deadpool are in there, but the other three are Finding Dory, The Jungle Book & Zootopia. To me, that says people are taking their kids to see movies, but not really seeing many for themselves.

Pic is literally the only Dahl adaptation that he's known to have liked.

you know I hate Judaism and what it's done to America and the world.

But i can't summon too much ill will towards Speilbergo.

He (and Scorsese) literally represent the end of Classic Hollywood-- in both tradition (they met the greats) and style.

I'm a little saddened by a Spielberg flop because it just gives an argument to some idiot millenial studio executive that will shovel money on the next Zack Snyder or some degenerate political project.

there will come a time when Spielberg, Scorsese and, yes, even Nolan won't be able to get financing to make a film. ;_;

It's actually the mindless blockbuster movies that suffered the worst this year. BvS underperformed badly. same with X-men Apocalypse. TNMT 2 did ridiculously bad, just barely making its budget back. Warcraft was a domestic box office disaster only saved by China... Even a highly anticipated, critically praised behemoth like Civil War slightly underperformed.

>But BvS made almost $900 mil.?

Globally. When the expectation was that it would make that much domestically, but instead made only about $330m and sits at #6 for the year. It's a perfect example of how you can ostensibly make a lot of money, but still be seen as a failure.

I don't think you know what classic Hollywood is

Yeah. Hell, the movies I've enjoyed either bombed or underperformed

find me a movie with a worse title, i dare you

The BFG is the be-all, end-all of horrendous titles until you find me a better piece of shit to grimace at

>literally call your film the big fucking goy
>man nobody's seeing it hmm

Danny the champion of the world

Not the title you'd expect for a book about poaching peasants.

Captain Underpants. Get ready for the adaption coming out next year

so i guess this roald dahl dude is just the king of this

>The BFG is the be-all, end-all of horrendous titles

But it's pure nostalgia, and conjures up happy memories of childhood innocence in three simple letters.

nah, great title. instantly tells you it's a kid's book

The BFG makes me think of Doom

...if you read the book

It's because he made a BFG movie with a massive budget. Seriously, why? Just make it animated if you want to at all.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

that's a big fucking guy

>giants
>not giantesses

they fucked up

>naming the movie BFG instead of Big Friendly Giant

What boomer thought it was hip to give a movie that fucking name ?

They're idiots

Everyone old enough to be here read the book...

>only generic and mindless movies make money
Yet this year these are failing at a record amount. I just hope to fucking god people start pulling back and we can get more smaller summer movies like 10CL - considering how hard that hit the bank, we actually might.

You're aware that the giant is a decrepit old man, right?

yeah this.
Honestly, no one under 40 will think of anything other than Doom.

I'm surprised this didn't come up in their fucking marketing meetings.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFG_(weapon)

>The abbreviation BFG stands for "Big Fragging Gun" as described in Tom Hall's original Doom design document and in the user manual of Doom II: Hell on Earth. The Quake II manual says it stands for "Big, Uh, Freakin' Gun". These euphemistic labels imply the more profane name of the BFG, "Big Fucking Gun".

I have to admit, the Giant could have had more work on and looked a bit more human instead of a cartoon.

I didn't. Are you British?

>implying artistic license doesn't exist

>How can you fuck up a kid's movie?
By making it live action. Tons of live action kids movies have failed. Remember Jack and the Giant Slayer or Pan? Oh boy what flops.

Why can't Hollywood do Dahl properly?

Too scared to keep the dark elements of his films whilst still keeping the childlike wonder of his writing?

They even fucked up Matilda, despite having perfect casting for the Trunchbull.

book: a smart girl who happened to get powers
movie: a girl who got powers who happened to be smart.

book: she uses the powers to write a cryptic message the terrify the Trunchbull
film: she writes the message... then in a slapstick scene she uses her powers to everything in the room flying and make all the other kids fly.

that's why it's shit

if it had been about a shota and a giantess milf it would have made dosh

Between the sheer amount of blockbusters being churned out, and people becoming increasingly aware of their mediocrity, it doesn't surprise me that so many are underperforming, if not outright failing. No one wants to see so many of them, so they just stick to the ones they like and are familiar with (which usually means Disney)

Problem is, no studio wants to be the one to cut down on blockbusters, so they'll keep making them and keep losing money. The only possible solution would be to start making them good, but let's not pretend that'll happen

I'm another user. In my country we read mostly french stuff (Count of Monte Cristo, Les Misérables and The Three Musketeer, etc), stories about the Romans, the Greeks and Aesop's fables.

>that one episode of Valkyrie Drive Mermaid

WEW LAD.

Also Disney has a backup anyway

Matilda. Danny DeVito is fantastic as both the director and as the father.

The book predates Doom

>implying I'm that stupid to name movies which you don't like anyway

kek, try again

they are failing but they are still getting way more money than "niche" and artsy movies

>smaller summer movies like 10CL

I hope so too. didn't like the name of 10CL (since I loved Cloverfield) but the premise was awesome. I really like where sci-fi movies are going. edge of tomorrow and oblivion were a great start, hopefully there will be more like those

In America everybody who grew up in the 90's read Roald Dahl (which is why a bunch of movie adaptations came out during that time).

That doesn't change the fact that most people under 30 associate it with doom foremost

mein neger

matilda is one of my favourite movies of all time. literally not a single motherfucking flaw

Same for me, but even then I've read Dahl. It's Dr Seuss I didn't know was a thing until hearing about him on the internet.

Hurr they get sent ass pics instead of reading some shitty book fucking millenials are missing out on some cool drawings man

>making movies for American market

Spielberg deserves this flop.

>literally not a single motherfucking flaw
It doesn't end with a showdown with Carrie White where they make up afterwards.

Witches was good, didn't need the book's ending honestly.

>didn't need the book's ending honestly
Heresy of the highest order.

Roald Dahl was a British author and everything Spielberg has done was made for the American market.

What are you even trying to say?

Apparently Dahl just hated the ending.

Does dramatically change the tone of the film and the book is more in keeping with how dark it is.

>tfw you're 18 and you like some youtube stuff but movies aren't below you

What is wrong with people?

when I found out about the movie carrie I could not stop to think about what would've happened if matilda's class had been filled with a bunch of assholes

I'm visiting family but we still went to the movies. We saw the Shallows though.

That's probably the best Roald Dahl adaptation in the way that it's like a children's adventure story but also kind of terrifying and off-kilter.

That fucking painting.

Doesn't the book make it even more spooky? The girl was in the painting and would keep changing position day after day, sometimes waving at them.

Then one day a strange woman could be seen in the painting and the day after that, the girl and the woman both disappeared.

Yeah what does BFG stand for big flopping giant or sumthing tss

Mars Needs Moms
Man from UNCLE

The Hudsucker proxy

That's because they chose that disgusting cgi style that they used in Jack the giant slayer and most of Zemeckis 3d flops.

It looks ugly and on top of that there's a mistaken impression kids read books/picture books these days.