Can anyone tell me what this is exactly...

Can anyone tell me what this is exactly? My friends found it way back in 2005 or 2006 and from what they told me they found it near/in a crater in a open field. I still have no idea if they were telling the truth or not since they did have a habit of bullshitting, but even so the thing looks weird and is clearly not just a rock. It has a very metallic look to it.

I was thinking its lead or something, but its way to hard to be lead I think. If I'm not mistaken lead is a soft metal that can be broken easily, So what else can this be? I mainly want to sell it. If I can get money off this thing it would be better than it sitting in my dresser collecting dust.

Other urls found in this thread:

aerolite.org/found-a-meteorite.htm
meteorites.wustl.edu/realities.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

gonna dump a few more pics of it.

Well, to begin with, it's an ore.

But of what? Probably iron, lead or raw silver. You should take it to someone who's skilled with ores.

No, lead is not a soft metal that can be broken easily

Try on it some hydrogen peroxide.
If reacts is probably iron.
It really looks like a meteorite...

meteorite maybe

I would, but sadly there is no one like that near me that I know of anyway.

looks like an iron or silver meteorite

university? geology department head. that sort of thing.

nearest uni is quite a ways away from me, but I guess I can travel up there sometime.

if its iron, would it be worth something? I'm not going to be so optimistic as to say its silver, but that would be cool.

aerolite.org/found-a-meteorite.htm
meteorites.wustl.edu/realities.htm

They have these things called phones, and a great thing called email, and guess what. They also have this wonderful thing called mail, that allows you to ship stuff.

actually i dont think its iron, its not magnetic.

But I don't know shit all about t his kind of stuff.

probably not a meteorite then just a rock

That is one shiny as hell rock then.

It's certainly not meteoric in origin. I think it's a chunk of galena.

I should also mention i used a refrigerator magnet to test if it was magnetic...

Isnt that just balled up fo-

Looks like either a chunk of Graphite or a chunk of solid Iron

Pretty sure that's a meteorite. Rich people will pay a ridiculous amount to have it on their shelf.

so op wants to sell a thing fofund by his friends and they just gave it to him why exactly?

that should still work for like 95% of meteorites
+ i think it has too goofy of a shape

OP
Does it have tiny holes in certain spots?

Is it magnetic?

Does it sink when you drop it in water?

we were pretty young, shit like this was cool to us to just have and we didn't really think about selling it at the time. My other friend had found the same thing but it was 6x or 7x this size. Wish I had that piece instead.

I would go ask him what he did with his, but in reality we were never on good terms and he was only a friend because he was a friend of a friend if that makes sense. Havent talked to the guy in like literally 11 years. That piece of shit conned me out of an entire deck of yugioh cards.

It is a piece of iron ore. High quality one. Not a meteorite. Iron ore is not magnetic. This is worth a couple of dollars depending on size and beauty. Maybe a beer in value.

from your description i would guess its slag, the impurities in metal that dont melt and are held together by residual amounts of metal when you melt shit down. it could also just be a bigass chunk of mica. what ever it is, its not worth shit. better use as a paper wait than 3 pennys from the pawnshop.

im not sure but that looks exactly like phosphor copper, its used in smelting copper alloys,

ive used like tonns of that stuff, for example when I smelt a batch of bronze I add about 6% of phosphor copper to make it run smoothly when liquid

Just Google "meteorite" you frigging idiots and look at the images.

It's a big sheet of foil that's been balled up and compressed.

Have you tasted it? Lick the surface and tell us whether it has an metallic or bromidic taste?

it has many tiny holes. You can see a few of them in the 4th pic I posted here I only used a flimsy refrigerator magnet to see if it was magnetic. The thing didn't stick to it so I just assumed it wasn't. Maybe I need a stronger magnet tho.

Never tried putting it in water, but I assume its heavy enough that it will sink.

It's burrito foil.

is that manchild still alive??

Problem solved

Not a meteorite, I think its an asteroid which much more valuable.

Easiest method of telling if it's a meteorite:
Find a cross section of the metal if one is available (which it is, by the looks of the pics). First off, dont touch it with chemicals. Just look at the metal's grain. Metal forms on earth with straight grain due to the consistent existence of magnetic poles. If it has straight gran or no grain, it's likely not a meteorite. Think like a knife blade, you can see the grain easily.
If it has a crosshatched or seemingly "random" grain, it's almost definitely cosmic. Random materials smash into each other in space, and resulting alloys dont have influence of magnetic poles during their formation, leaving the metals with oddly patterned micro structure.

We used to have tons of meteorite samples at an old jewelry store I worked at and they all shared this characteristic on the inside. When I asked my boss why, that was the response I received: the same response he received from an expert years ago.

it's a lump of coal.

Assuming it's not a jizz covered tinfoil ball contact a professor at local university

It's a space herpe, keep it away from any heat sources. once they hatch you can't get rid of them.