How do I get over fear of being looked at? (scopophobia)

How do I get over fear of being looked at? (scopophobia)
I've had it for my whole life and I prefer to be in a dark room a lot just because it would make it harder for someone to see me. Whenever I go out to the store or anywhere public I always try to go very early or late so there's the least number of people there. Anyone else have this too?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X2LTL8KgKv8
news.stanford.edu/pr/97/970108prisonexp.html
youtube.com/watch?v=gb4Q20z0T1Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I fucking hate it.

Bumping

Is that an official diagnosis for you?

Can you tell more about why you feel like this, OP?

Are you still here, OP?

Does anyone else go through this?
(Not OP)

B8?

"The eyes have it..."

yeah, it´s normal, especially when you are an social awkward autist, your mouth is always open and looks like a fish mouth or you talk to yourself in public because your mind recreates your last social interaction. You don´t want people to look at you while you do that shit.

That´s why I love winder, you just put a big hat on and a scarf and you are practically invisible.

You have to decide it's something you want to beat. Once you do that, start doing things that put you into situations like that. Begin with simple things like going to stores during the day instead of at night. Maybe see if there's a toastmasters or some other public speaking group around you could join and get into. If it's really that bad, you could even start with just a webcam. Lots of ways to begin beating that phobia.

yeah, me. I do the shit I wrote in this post. I also have dark circles under my eyes, bad hearing and my hip bones are all fucked so I walk like a retard. Every time people look at me I remember all the times I was bullied for my looks and behavior in school, I just don´t want people to look at me at all.

Any tips for a poor autistic-lookin´soul?

And in comes the cavalry...

...FINALLY!

I thought no one else would ever come!

If only there was an expert on all things psychological to help you through your situation, which sounds a bit severe.
Consider this for starters. Although, more expanded advice would be welcomed by you and others, I'm sure.

I started to better myself a year ago. Every couple of minutes I check if my mouth is open, I work out my leg and back muscles so that I walk straighter and have those insoles for my shoes.

I can talk to people but I always talk too much or too little (or so I feel), that´s why I kinda always observe people before I say something, so I can mimic what they do and how long they talk.

Shit now that I read all of this, I sound crazy, but that´s how I get things done I guess

Dude, just wear shades or whatever to give yourself the illusion there is some kind of barrier between you and the people around.

If you or anyone else is still on this thread, have you seen a psychologist/psychotherapist about this? Any kind of competent counselor?

youtube.com/watch?v=X2LTL8KgKv8

Besides compensating for your scopophobia or possible fear of crowds and general anxiety, have you also thought about ? You may be a bit busy as I type this, but I'd like to know.

Can anyone else relate to the OP and others who might not be that extroverted as society seems to demand from people?

Bumping for interest

Yeah, wearing shades is kind of an 80's meme but there's a good reason before that.

It's just another one of those gimmicks pick up artists uses to give themselves a small confidence boost. It basically acts as though they are wearing a mask while still looking socially acceptable.

Gives them the impression there is a boundary between them and whoever they're talking to while also making it harder to read their body language if even slightly.

There is a whole theory behind using such a trick to influence your own behavior. Power trinket or totem, I think they're called. It basically sums up as relying on an object to to alter the way people perceive you and in turn boost your confidence. Earlier, somebody mentioned wearing big hats and scarves so that people people will overlook you. it's basically the same thing.

I haven´t and I don´t want to. I trust anons more than those psychology cunts. Shared an apartment with one of those in college and met some others and they are never pleasant people in private. And those people should advise me in life? nope.

news.stanford.edu/pr/97/970108prisonexp.html
youtube.com/watch?v=gb4Q20z0T1Q

I know what you mean.

> it's called rubberneckin' baby

Huh?
Maybe for a celebrity.

Would or anyone else similar to OP feel loneliness as a result of this or is it just anxiety and nerves? This has nothing to do with a prop that you could use to attract a friend to use as an ice-breaking conversation starter to feel a little more at ease and confident and less alone in the world and in life?

Bumping for more interaction

Hello?

Anybody here?

This is a good topic.

Use to be ugly as shit and fat when I was younger now I'm 22 lost weight and look way more attractive get looks from lots of women. I still hate being looked at all the time and I avoid social interactions just like you guys. I hate being looked at however I don't give a lot of fucks in life (yes I'm a fuck up) so it does help that I don't care to much about that.

GIT STOOPED

Hey I used to be like that, but it just get me.

I look at them, but they are not looking at me

Even if they seem so, think about yourself. Do you look at others, like, just stare at them? Not me tho

Even if you do, most of the time you kept it to yourself.

So I just thought that, no one is looking at me. I should not care about them. they are just strangers. And to them we are strangers. We don't care

It does not matter if they just look at you for a bit because they might just be, feeding their boredom.

What if you're close to those people, and they make certain comments that may or may not have anything to do with you?

Try taking xtc.
Preferably at home with a friend.
Lots of fun. Works therapeutic.

It lowers your fears and inhibitions, gives you a higher self esteem temporarilly.
You can actually learn to love yourself because of it. And can take it with you the rest of your life.

Try looking it up. Therapists use it still as a therapeutic drug.
(you could of course look up such a therapist, or look up a regular therapist.

Have you tried it and are you posting from experience? (Easy to say so while you're "anonymous.")

Bumping again

Too good of a thread to let it 404

Yes.
I don't have your problem. But I do speak out of experience. Had it on different occasions and settings.
Tried different kinds of drugs. They all have a different kind of impact on the way you view the world.

I could tell you all kinds of things. But it's better to look up the workings, user experiences and pro's and con's of xtc on the internet. Theres lots to read about it.
Look up psychonauts. It's people who use drugs to expand their mind and use it to learn about themselves and the world.

Lastly: be carefull. Know what you take and why you take it. Read what it is and how to take it in a responsible way.

Does anyone have any solutions that don't involve illicit substances that could lead some to abuse them to the point of addiction?

That's why I was saying:

Be carefull. Read about it before you take it. Take it in a responsible way.

I sure hope I didn't need to mention addiction. We're not 4 year olds here.

Any more helpful advice that will really help anons with this issue that won't risk destroying them?

Stay calm. Keep it easy. Don't let numerous thoughts flow into your head. That'll lead to uncontrolled thoughts.

Just take a short time to calm yourself. It'll help.

Their comments do have an effect on who you are as they might know a part of you.

Their comments should be dealt with proper thinking. Take out the real context of their say (that is to look away from any harmful, hateful or sometimes annoying comments)

Look at the context and understand it

If it is not important to you, such as it does not concerns you, you can just deal with it or brush it off

The ones regarding yourself, know what you are saying and what to say. Know when to say what they want or your own original reply. You can do both if you can

Any of their comments sometimes need to be replied with a good reply, or at least conveys the message

If say that they do not understand it, you know better. Explain it to them with a short note or simply go ahead with what you were doing.
They knew less of what you know and can do. Possibly better to make them fully understand you

Does this help? I kinda think not...

He means something along the lines of lsd therapy. People take shit like dmt and have profound point of view changing experiences. Like spooky spirits communicating and guiding them in a dream dimension. Sounds like a hoot to me.

In general, it might. Many times, these comments come from others I barely know and have often never even met before. It does quite often have a stunning effect that doesn't usually serve me well. Like it takes you down a peg or two when you feel that you don't really deserve it at the time you hear them.

Bumping once more