First night of being sober in over 3 years. AMA

First night of being sober in over 3 years. AMA

Why bother?

also

Do you own a motorcycle?

Congrats. Every sober person has a day one. I'm coming up on 3 years of sobriety. Are you physically dependent? Are you having withdrawal symptoms ?

After years of drinking I have gained weight and I'm at the point in my life where if keep doing it I'm going to die in a very undignified way.

Also

no

It seems like every night around 7 or so the urge becomes unbearable. I started drinking at night so I could actually fall asleep and hide from depression. Snowballed into a habit then addiction. Right now I'm kind of getting shaky and my jaw seems to be clenched shut when I'm not paying attention.

>'m going to die in a very undignified way

how old are you?

you know there is no point in living a pretty corpse? you're dead anyways

would you like to own a motorcycle?

Sure, fax it on over.

wat?

Nothing

what was your usual routine of drinks?

Please beware of the dangers of withdrawing from alcohol cold turkey. it can cause convulsions, seizures, and stroke...which can be fatal. I'm not a doctor, but the only advice I will give is to speak w a doctor...maybe go into an Urgent Care and let them know you are detoxing. Sleep will be tough. It took me six months to get normal sleep and for the shakes to begin to ease up. What would you drink and how much?

ok, guess you dont wanna post age, what about the other 2 questions?

also checked

Cheap shitty vodka (Barton, McCormick, etc.) When I had money to blow away I used to get scotch and decent whiskey

how much?

I'm 30 with 10 years of almost consecutive nightly drinking. Also the other question seemed pretty much rhetorical.

Started out being half a pint but went up to nearly a 750 ml per night. That kind of fluctuated on how shitty I was feeling that night.

this was meant for you

I can't afford to go get professional help and I don't trust myself with weening myself off of it.

a bottle of vodka a night?

going cold turkey will fuck you up bad

Yeah. I'm kind of bracing myself for that. I just know that if I try to ween myself off I will just start making excuses to drink more instead of less.

26 months sober here, cold turkey at the age of 30.

are you ready?

I hope so. I don't think I can afford not to be at this point.

If you have the willpower to just quit it, you are very likely to possess the willpower to slow down.

How about measuring out a linearly decreasing amount of booze into plastic bottles and adhering to only drinking as much as is in the bottle for that day?

Also congratulations man

you have to be ready. thats the trick. i STILL think about booze, it never goes away. its part of our society. when youre ready, you can stop drinking.

Well here's the thing and it may sound cheesy as fuck. I started out tonight with pure intentions of stopping completely. Then 8 o clock came around and told me that you can just go into town and get beer instead of vodka. It will be a slow cool down to the eventual dead stop. On my way to the gas station I turn on the radio and the song that's playing is Son of a Bitch. It was right on the "if I don't get clean I'm going to drink my life away bit." Sounds very coincidental and made up but that shit seriously hit me in full force. I turned the car around, got home, and here I am.

The thing is during the day I really want to quit based on how shitty I feel the next morning and how drained I feel throughout the day. But when night comes around the switch is flipped and I can't think of anything but finally getting by myself to drink until I pass out. I want this to happen but to be honest man I'm scared of my own shitty self control.

i drink a fifth on the weekends am i alcohol?

Quiter

Hopefully

Sounds like me on one of my many adventures to score dope while sick as fuck and Mr Brownstone coming on the alt station I had on and me breaking down like a bitch in my car in the hood while a bunch of black girls watched