So, I'm thinking of making a trailer for an adaptation of Hotline Miami (not a full film...

So, I'm thinking of making a trailer for an adaptation of Hotline Miami (not a full film, just a trailer to shop around), and I'm wanting to find trailers and films/shorts that would sort of work with the mood.

Ones I've seen that really nail what I'm going for:
>youtu.be/YqAeVosG4zI
>youtu.be/5gfMLu9EPWY
>youtu.be/0DzNCWbzZOo

What else would you recommend?
>inb4 pleb
>inb4 80's are overrated
>inb4 kung fury

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8Bi9LjRQgh8
youtube.com/watch?v=UgXM7ivgYTo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

good luck, and make sure to post again if you end up doing it

this trailer for OGF is probably more of the tone you want to go for

youtube.com/watch?v=8Bi9LjRQgh8

Cobra
The Raid
Drive

Oh of course.

Also, a stylistic thing I'm thinking of doing is never showing Jacket's actual face. Always show him either in silhouette, in the mask, behind the head, or close-ups on his eyes.

that almost feels like a given

You'd be surprised.

Most of the shorts I've seen doing the same thing show his face outright.

youtube.com/watch?v=UgXM7ivgYTo

well don't make the same mistake

also i'd advise against taking any inspiration from other attempts at the same thing

look at the work that inspired the creators of HM at try to draw the same inspiration that they did

David Lynch, Nicolas Winding Refn, Walter Hill, etc

Wow, this actually references "Drive" quite openly.

I've been looking for this one, thanks.

yeah, no kidding

didn't the developers directly cite Drive as an inspiration?

They give a special thanks to Nicolas Winding Refn in the game's credits.

Of course. I was still kinda surprised. I mean the four-note motif of the score is even sorta reminiscent of the syncopated motif that "Nightcall" is based on.

Yeah, Drive was a direct inspiration.

I mean some people took this to a very literal level, I saw a short (that I can't find) that copied the Nightcall opening from Drive shot for shot.

Oh, just noticed that it was actually the transition-screen music from the game itself...

That ending theme, the one you get after you win a chapter, side by side works perfectly with Nightcall.

Yeah yeah.

I'm really wanting to ape Refn's style, but someone I think would be fun to sort of imitate, to work well with this, would be Robert Rodriguez.

Dunno who you'd shop it around to.

The people that made the game own the rights and you'd have to work with them to get a movie made if a studio were to want to pick it up.

Yeah, that's probably true.

I still wanna do it, though. Just to prove to myself that I can.

bump