Considering joining the military at 28. Any military fags have any input? Heard I'd be made fun of...

Considering joining the military at 28. Any military fags have any input? Heard I'd be made fun of. It's not a do over situation, I have been wanting to do something for my country for the last year. About to graduate with BS in EE.

Any input?

RIP In Peace, Lil Puppers

If you are afraid of people making fun of you, then you shouldn't join the military in the first place.

Dont. Wanna do something for your country? Become a cop and kill niggers.

What makes you want to join? No other career option or just want to do the obligated 4 years then get out?

You usually get more respect from NCO's as an older person, thought not much. You get the usual banter between other militarybros, but as long as you can do PT and you're not a social retard, you'll be aight.
t. 25 year old in Army (5th year)

Nah i have career options, just in the past never wanted to join until recently.

Not afraid of people making fun of me, was just curious of others opinions.

Interesting, been considering the Army or the Air Force.

Well, ask me anything. Gone a lot of experience for noobs. Have had to do 5 high school "recruitment" things, since one of my NCO's considered me to be a recruiter or a drill sgt. I did NOT want to do any of that, so I chose not to re-up, I'll be ETS'ing (getting out) in April.

A marine here, go in as an officer if you really want to. I wouldn't advise going into the Marine Corps because the body can really start to break down around the 30s and you could sustain a lot of inguries. Do what you wanna do though, but yea it's nearly to later to enlist.

have fun murdering people for oil hows it feel to be an udder piece of shit killer for higher

Go for some POG position, and prepare to be older than most of your Sergeants... Be sure to NOT go Combat Arms; that's a young man's world...

Do you feel your experience was worth it? I've always just thought that working with actually disciplined people would be great. Everywhere I have worked has been silly until people with discipline have joined us, and they have generally come from the military. We always get shit done as opposed to the opposite.

Care to explain? I've heard a little but not sure about the abbreviations.

Forgot to add: I joined the Infantry at 25.... Before you ask, I would totally do it over again, but I'd join at 18... Not only would I have been in on more of the war (actually like all of it), I'd be looking at E6 by the time I got out for reals...

As an old guy, it's tougher to fight like the young kids who soak up injuries better and can heal quicker and such... If you've been doing it a while, it's a bit different, but warfighting will break you...

The occupation I picked in the Army (Intel analyst), was definitely worth it for me. I can either continue what I was doing when I get out (with some more training) or I can just go to school. I will just go to school since I'm passionate about it. Been doing classes online for a while now, so I'll just pick it back up at Uni. I've done up to calculus III, a bunch of general shit, chemistry, and language courses so I definitely have a leg up when I start school next year.

A lot of interesting experiences if you're lucky when you join. My current assignment is pretty boring, only 1 deployment to Afghanistan, but my first one was in Korea, and I had some good times there. Everybody's experience is different in service.

You definitely have a new take on life after a few years in service. The shitty things you use to complain about are just that, shitty things. Having a lot of friends in service and out of service helps this though, keeps you from being a cynic. If you aren't married, don't be some barracks rat who sits in his room all day playing video games, that shit will depress you into a black hole.

Sorry... POG = Person Other than Grunt, or desk jockeys, maintenance, truck drivers, etc. Engies are also POGs, though Combat Engineers are far less so...

If EE is Electrical Engineer, go Air Force and work on avionics.

POG is "person other than grunts"
Pretty much a job where your primary job description is something other than shooting weapons at people, or training primarily for that. For most jobs that means if you get stationed overseas, you will probably never leave the confines of the post unless it's something to do with training.

I heard that man, I can say I do not heal like I used to, but I still feel like if i were to do the work I used to do, I would be on it.

Would not be a rat, I love going out and doing things whenever possible. Not married either, but really curious how the relationship life is. I am not exactly at the free spirit point anymore and possibly want to look for someone good.

How do you get placed into avionics?

I see, been considering looking into possible jobs. Thank you.

Let me explain - there are perceptions of different military branches in the civilian world, and these perceptions can hinder or enhance your job perspectives...

Navy is a good spot for non-combat because the Navy is like a corporation and not like a warfighting wing, despite their SEALs and ownership of the USMC... However, it'll most likely get you stuck on a Cruise Ship rewiring greasy nasty cook stoves...

The Army will get you wiring houses for a living, which can be lucrative, but isn't as lucrative as you'd think... You're most likely gonna be setting up tents and wiring shit around the base, if not working on Strykers and Tanks and shit, which will still get you working on houses...

The Marines, well, they won't get you very far in the Electrical field, pretty much the same as the Army...

The USAF, though, if you have USAF experience with fighter jet avionics and stuff, you're FAR more likely to get a job working on civilian planes back in the civ world, and that can be a REALLY lucrative and kush career!!

Ask for it from your USAF recruiter. Slap your BS on the table and say "I wanna wire F22's." With your 4-year degree, you actually could look at going Officer as well, and get the badass retirement and benefits, as well as the life above all the enlisted plebeians... Just don't forget that your O1-O2 rank still means you're a bitch...

>addendum

The USN, USMC, and USA all have their own aviation sectors, as well as avionics electrician sectors... But the USAF just has more prestige than the other three...

Is wiring planes genuinely great? It sounds fun to me but, is it lucrative? Sounds like a fun career to me honestly.

Oh, and before you sign ANYTHING (they'll throw some info request paperwork at you like background checks and such, you can sign that), find military vets and pick our brains. Recruiters are specifically DESIGNED to fuck you. Their concern is NOT your future or your wellbeing, it's the needs of their branch... No matter how buddy-buddy they want you to think they are... They're out to fill quota, NOT to get you your dream job...

I had a shot at becoming an airframe & powerplant mechanic when I was young... Unfortunately, I was too young to realize what a damn good thing I had in my hands, and threw it the hell away... A few years later, there I was dragging a rifle and a ruck through the hot sands of Afghanistan.... I kick myself every day that I ran away from that opportunity.

Further, two of my uncles (uncle, and his friend who ended up marrying my aunt) were avionics mechs in the USAF wiring F111 Aardvarks. They loved every minute of it, and went on to great jobs after the USAF.

This is one of the things that has held me back. I have heard horror stories. Sign up for x job, get strapped to x gun, guy got killed because of it. Actual thing that happened.

The real thing for me that I have always been about it how do I guarantee I do not get fucked out of doing what I want to do for the military.

Back when i first went for my bmq (like basic) there was a a guy in his 40s in my section. 2nd oldest person was 29

Thats some real up and down man. Sad to hear that for you. Could you go back for the job? Also what honestly does wiring a plane/helicopter entail?

what was your opinion of the older guys at the time?

Not OP, but another 28 year old user who has the same thoughts.

I was seriously considering it in school back in 06, nowadays I regret not joining up and serving my country. I guess it's more of a patriotism thing?

What are people's thoughts on the reserves? Also what's the age limit for enlisting?

OP here, been looking into it, you have until 36-42 to enlist. We are not in danger of being too old, just a thing of everything else.

Get EVERYTHING they promise you in writing. Even though a military contract is a unilateral contract (meaning only YOU have to follow it, the US .gov can piss all over it), it would be really REALLY dark times if a trained Air Force avionics tech is pushing a rifle on the front lines... Like, World War 1 and 2 and 3 all rolled into one week all up in the depths of Siberia or some shit...

You won't be on a machine if you're not trained for it... Granted, if you're working on F22's, you might also get the Base Commander's issued Learjet or whatever he flies for maintenance and such, but they're not gonna send Air Force mechanics to go kill terrorists...

But like I said, get EVERYTHING in writing; if they say you're going to x-school, make damn sure you request an addendum on the contract... All this stuff happens at your MEPS, not in the recruiting office... That's where you do the official negotiation. The dudes in the office just handle inprocessing paperwork, mostly...

If it's not in your contract, it's not gonna happen unless you're the best they've ever seen etc...

Thank you much man, I have heard exactly what you have been saying from others about recruiters can say anything and nothing has to be followed. I appreciate the more specifics!

I will follow through with this if/when I go for this. Like I have said previously, this is something I have been thinking of for the past year and a half and it has been becoming stronger over the time for sure. I really appreciate your time.

Highly doubtful. The guy who hired me was a friend of my dad's. They used to fly together before he was killed in a plane crash... I got a bit sentimental one day and went to talk to him one day, and he threw me a job...

Unfortunately, he retired and gave his kids the shop. They don't know me or my dad or my story, and could give a shit less about me... Further, walking away from that shot was probably napalm on that bridge... I left in good standing as far as I know, but it was kind of a one-shot thing....

Wiring isn't too bad. You might find yourself in some tight spots stuck up in a fuselage, but otherwise it's pretty simple; aircraft are designed to be worked on, because shit NEEDS to be 100%; you can't pull over and pop the hood at 15,000 feet...

Older guys get scoffed at and poked fun of a bit, but we're all on the same team, and there's a mutual respect among servicemembers...

Reserves are part-time heroes... Most people don't care about reservists, but the pay sucks (you're only working two days a month, two weeks a year, after all), and there's a lack of respect for them because they're usually fuck-ups compared to the full-timers... But, that's to be expected... Someone who works on a machine 5-7 days a week is gonna be better at working on that machine than someone who works on that machine two days a month....

From an Infantry standpoint, we scoff extra hard because they play hero once a month, etc., and almost ALWAYS suck at their job....

Don't thank me, thank my recruiter....

Sounds like an honest recruiter looking out for people! He sounds like a good man.

I'm all down for a little mutual respect and a little back and forth bullying if it is not all one sided.

Older guys are far more common in POG positions, so they don't get poked fun at as much for being old...

Also, my recruiter was a cocksucker who sent me to the Infantry when I wanted to be a pilot... He sold me on the "drop a Warrant Officer packet when you get out of Basic, and go to flight school that way... But enlist so you don't have to get a pilot's license first..." line...

The past fifteen of my thirty years have been devoted to trying to become a pilot, and every last plan I've had has failed, sometimes miserably.... Life's fucking peachy...

I'll bet your lips moved as you laboriously spelled that out

This is the kind of shit I do not want to fall into. I have been fucked over in enough jobs in the past that I want to either serve for what I want to serve for, or keep on the career path.

I would love to serve, but I do not want to keep getting fucked.

I had the same idea as you awhile back, but im 27. I'm a ChemE though. I eventually got a good job so its pointlesss now.

I feel ya, been kind of feeling like when I get a job I will be pretty neutral on the situation.

I still feel like it would be great to not work with pussies that need a safe space would be what hits the spot for me.

will you just shut up and hand over the oil already?

Go to /k/ and look for the /MEG/ thread, which is Military Enlistment General.
DO NOT LISTEN TO ANY OF THE FAGS ON Sup Forums THEY'RE NOGUNS AND NEETS.

Don't worry about it... Just don't take 'no' for an answer... If they want to give you something other than what you really want, tell them you'll consider it, and break the meeting off... Give 'em a month, and they'll bend a bit more... They also can watch the quotas for you in case a slot does come up for what you really want...

My problem was that I was okay with going Infantry, so the line sold me pretty easy...

And like I said, before signing anything, get online and find some veterans to talk to... /k/ usually has more vets, but they're usually closer to Combat Arms... Or, they're autist Marine cooks who are "a Marine first, a cook second" kinda losers... Still, vets know the mil world better than you do, and can usually see through your recruiter's lies...

Care to elaborate?

Have fun being a beta loser faggot while OP and the rest make something of themselves.

>Canadianfag detected

Only need one weapon to get the job done, if you're tactically proficient...

You sound like one of those "was gonna join but" or "I'm a hardcore MARINE, regardless of my dishonorable discharge after 1.5 years as a janitor" losers...

Though, /k/ /MEG/ isn't a bad spot to hit...

Excuse me for being real fucking rude but I am curious what it feels like to kill another person. I know when I started killing animals, it was mildly off putting but man I cannot put together the rest.

You do not have to answer if you would not like, it is just something that I have thought about and we are a bunch of user fags.

that's not what unilateral contract means. law student here. unilateral contract means it's given consideration is the performance of the contract itself. Bilateral is a return promise, for payment, service, etc.

Unilateral example:
If you walk across that bridge, I'll pay you $10.

Bilateral example:
You will sell me your company. I will buy it for $10.

The difference lies in unilateral contracts are only fulfilled upon taking meaningful actions to complete the performance. Bilateral are fulfilled by an exchange from both parties to complete the contract.

Get educated you fucking knob.

I can't really comment... It feels fucking GREAT to zap some fuckbag who never saw it coming, but that's only from a good-guy standpoint... As for icing a motherfucker for insulting your sister or just trying to steal his eighteen dollars, I wouldn't know, and I'd probably feel shitty after something like that...

But there's no better feeling than watching a guy's head explode 200m downrange when he's scoping down your friends... FUCK all these pussies who feel bad for killing in a war; it's our job, it's what we signed up to do... If you can't get your head around that aspect, you're gonna lose your mind... If you can't get your head around the fact that some of your friends aren't making it home, you're gonna lose your mind....

But if you can accept the job of killing motherfuckers for the Government, you're a fucking psychopath...

Honestly, I want to get into law school... Thanks for correcting me, I've always heard it the way I said it...

>I know when I started killing animals, it was mildly off putting
Wat? I assume you mean hunting.

If you cannot kill quickly and efficiently then stick the to butcher's and the supermarket

This. If you're hunting, it's about putting the creature down as quickly and painlessly as possible...

If you're trying to like skin a squirrel alive, you're a sick fuck and need your ass kicked...

Yes I meant hunting, and trapping you dildos.

So, let's say you do want the training and experience to start icing some hadjis for the U.S. govt. is the Army still a good place to do that? What does it take to start becoming a part of a kill squad or at least something short of an elite team like SEALs or Berets. Do you have to earn your stripes or can you take the tests and training and go right for officer as part of a team? Just wondering, I am not very tall, but the idea of becoming a covert killer and getting paid to do it seems right in my mind.

Well if you feel uncomfortable, don't do it. Otherwise you may hesitate when the time comes to cleanly despatch that injured game animal with a priest, or neck that rabbit. Stick to your X-box.

Well you see, I can tell you are not part of the original convo, but it was more of an uncomfortable kill the first couple times but never hesitated. First kill I was excited about, next couple trap kills were mehhh, but non trap kills were always great. Trapped kills were mehh for the first 3-4 then just run of the mill.

First step: Stop playing videogames featuring this kind of shit, cuz it's nothing like the real deal. Further, stop thinking of it like that alltogether, because warfighting as a profession isn't something you can pop out of your XBox when you get bored of it... Shit ain't Call of Duty, yo... And there are no respawns. If you fuck up, you're not gonna die; you're gonna get your best friend killed and have to carry his dead bleeding body ten fucking miles back to the nearest secure area while you're covered in brains and shit the whole way....

Second step: Lose weight. I know you're not physically fit enough to just waltz on into the SF; those guys are fucking nuts...

Third step: If you really think it's for you, join the Army Infantry. This is the only way to guarantee you're going to get the job position. You still gotta not be a shitbag or they will stick you on some bullshit FOB detail or PSD squad or some shit.

You're going to need front-line experience before you even consider going into any kind of "covert hit squad" kinda gangster shit... Now, the recruiting materials and offices will all tell you differently, you "can" enlist 18x and go straight to SF school, but you'll NEVER be selected for SF until you've got some military under your belt. PLENTY of fuckbags go through initial SF school, even pass with flying colors, but if they're shitbags and the SF cats don't want that blend of shitbag in their ranks, you'll just get busted back down to broom closet guard...

And finally: Be prepared to sacrifice absolutely everything about yourself and adopt only THEIR way of life, their way of thinking, their mannerisms, their habits, their everything. That kind of thing is a lifestyle, not just a 9-5...

It's a very select few that get to do that kind of shit, user. And if you're off-put by killing animals, it's not for you. Though, if you get your rocks off by rubbing salt into wounds you cut in rabbits, you're probably too fucked-up for those guys.

could you exploit this to get a medical discharge?

Trapping is shitty... Even most sportsmen don't like trapping because it's not a quick clean kill... Worse, depending on how you're trapping, the animal could very well be in extreme pain the whole time they're stuck in your trap.

Don't enlist. You're part of the problem, you melingering fucknozzle.

>higher

Worse, if you do exploit it for a MEB discharge and get caught exploiting, you very well could get arrested and sent to the brig... Good luck!

Anyways, punching out... Good luck, OP!

Become a navy seal so you can use the copypasta unironically

I'm legit just curious, I'm about to graduate from uni.

I've personally got no interest in joining, but a lot of my high school buds are in the USAF.

Can you tell me what the brig is?

Join the navy instead.
It is really hard for somw goat fukers to shoot you if you are inside a boat

Unrelated.

Know of someone who magically developed narcolepsy in USMC recruit training. He was eventually medically retired and is now a 100% VA P&T'er.

...less than 2 months of "service" (hospital visits awaiting MEB excluded).

so who pays for this shit ?

This.

Was considering joining the NAVY a few years ago but I was only interested if I could go in as an officer; I had the college credits but hadn't yet officially graduated and taken my degree. I asked the recruiter over the phone if the credits would be enough. "Yeah definitely." Then I asked him in person. "Absolutely." Then, meeting him for the second time, when we were about to get the ball rolling with a bit of paperwork or whatever, I asked him again. "OCS? No you need a college degree for that."

Told him to go fuck himself. It actually worked out, though. I don't belong in the military.

You do, if you're a US taxpayer.

Little shitbird malingered his way out of his contract into $5300+/mo disability (presumably went after SSDI as well) to include free medical and dental. All the other bennies as well: free licensing, no property tax, etc.

I was in your shoes OP.. even went to recruiter and started to get my things together at age 28, practicing the duck walk, watching my weight, all that crap. I was actually 6lb overweight when I started, or else Id probably be in boot camp right now.

Then I got a job, and I laugh looking back on it. I personally would not do it at age 28 as an enlistee. But there are many who do. It's your life and up to you.

Maybe something like Coast Guard would be more friendly for older folks.

But "I have been wanting to do something for my country" lingo is WW2 shit, not 2016.

Look into military intel jobs. Each branch has some type of signal analyst/crypto linguist. You'll get to spend a year or so learning a language in Monterey, Californa.

Most of the people who go this route are fairly educated and there are a lot of nerds. You just gotta stay in shape.

I was army and got a sweet signing bonus in '08 but if I could do over I'd go airforce or navy, as they seem to have better standard of living (but their own kind of bullshit).

Urine idiot for not doing basic research on how to become an officer. You dont just get to be an officer for graduating college, or almost graduating in your case. Tons of enlistees have college degrees.

shoulda done it sooner they might have paid for your fucking university studies

Go AIRFORCE... AFTER college. that way you'll get college paid off and can end up in bank with higher rank/additional offers to pay for college.

Airforce will treat you like a person. Army treats everyone like garbage and sets you up for failure when you get out.

Depends, we are all like brothers here (just not with homo faggots. We let them do their obnoxious shits and we do ours.). Your age is kinda weird for newbie because most newbies are around 18 and up.

Not that user. But reread what he wrote before coming to that conclusion.
>I asked him again. "OCS? No you need a college degree for that."
Him: "OCS?"
Recruiter: "No you need a college degree for that."

I think the scumbag recruiter led him to believe there was a waiver. Then, he was going to pull a fast one introducing all the enlisted to officer routes. But, bottom line, the recruiter wanted his quota and was probably hoping user was dumb enough to go open contract.

yeah join the army, and go destroy another country just like you did in vietnam and iraq, which you failed miserably. "but freedom muricaaaa!!"

u.s army is a joke. In europe we laugh at you.

Us forgein policy is a disaster. Bush was maybe worse than obama. U.S had a pretty shitty presidents lately.

That's exactly right.

excellent

you are no better than isis scum. Maybe you should join them.