how does a ship made of steel float?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes'_principle
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump

Displacement, you dumb shit.

Explain physically it's not making any sense

THIS IS IMPORTANT CMON SOMEONE NEED TO KNOW THE ANSWER

The weight of the ship is supported by it's large surface area. The surface area is supported by the waters surface tension.

Try pushing a bowl into a bath tub bottom first. See how much force you have to use to get it under the water? All the water around it is pushing back at you.

Thanks, plausible

There is air inside steel
I figured it out guys

This guy gets it
The steel is foamy inside like an Aero bar. So it floats
If you bite through a piece you'll see the bubbles

They hollow out the bottom of the boat and put some helium in it, but not like, enough to make it fly away.
Come on guys, this isn't rocket science.
It's boat science.

Magnets
How the fuck do they work anyway

The magnet is on top of the boat pulling it up.

action reaction you cunt...

Same way a boat made of cement floats. Go back to school.

have you not played fucking pokemon

I see clearly now! It's like a carrot on a stick, but instead it is a magnet ontop of a ship. Like, the force proprelling the donkey forward is hunger, but instead of that its magentism.

You're stupid its because of the moons gravity

>a boat made of cement floats

Of course it does dear.

magnets have two genders:
Positive and Negative
Unlike us they have absolutely no standards and are much more likely to get involved with each other.
When ever two of opposite genders get near each other they go for each other like a Migrant and a German Woman, and it's very hard to pry them apart because they are balls deep on a molecular level.
Unlike OP however magnets are not raging faggots and do not like magnets of the same gender, in fact they will actively force push themselves away if you try to make them fuck.

Hahaha! Are you serious, lad? Oh, dear......

the average density of the ship is lower than the average density of the liquid it floats in - caused by the air inside the ship, obviously

I love this

Boi.
ancy

Would it matter if it was or wasn't mint?

but surely all of the denseness from the stuff on the ship would push it down.

Yes it is, the waterpressure from all sides keeps it up

The ships are made from steel that doesnt drown

non of these fucking morons

>Magnets
>How the fuck do they work anyway

All electrons are like small magnets. Usually all the electrons around the atoms in a piece of matter, say a cat or a brick, pull in different directions, cancelling out each other. In a magnet, all the electrons pull in the same direction, making the effect so strong that it attaches to other metals (which has a lot of positively charged atoms).

What determines if an object floats is it's density. If you put something in water, for instance, it will float as long as the weight of the object is less than the water it displaces. Since a ship is just a metal frame with a lot of air in it, it weighs less than the water it displaces. This means that it has a combined lower density than the water. This is the same reason hot air balloons float, because heating up air makes it expand. This means that the heated air trapped in the balloon now weighs the same, but takes up a larger volume. This logically means it is less dense than the surrounding gas, and therefor floats.
A iron ingot floats on mercury because it's less dense than the mercury at room temperature, for the same reasons.

yes, but it will not make it sink though

this

But an iron bowl has no air in it: it is an open structure. The density of the bowl is that of iron.

Some of those were meant to be funny and some were correct. Kys

and yet it floats.

>Unlike us they have absolutely no standards

it floats because it has a open structure. A ship frame of only the hull and plates floates too. The same principe of the lower density caused by the air "inside" still counts

An exact replica of that ship and all its cargo made entirely of surface-level sea water would be heavier than the ship and its cargo as they are. Thus, it floats.

It weighs exactly as much as the water it displaces; thus it exists in a stable state.

look up capillary action

No, it's not. As long as it isn't toppled over, the iron bowl will contain air. A floating iron bowl will displace more water than the volume of just the metal structure. Say that this bowl is very buoyant, that it barely skips the surface. If you press it down into the water, not enough to let the water slip into the bowl, you will feel that it gets MORE buoyant, because it increases the effective volume drastically, but the amount of iron in the water is fairly close to the start position. That's the key here.

You people can't play this Santa game forever. OP was going to find out eventually anyway.

The secret is legs. Boats have legs, OP. Really long legs. With extensions and shit.

yw

this is some harry potter shit

Because steel floats on water

neither Aquaman, (sissy) nor Posidon/Neptune want it in their crib , so they boner it up

Yes, this is true, but simply because we assume it sits perfectly on the surface. A floating boat will not use its full volume in the water, since that would make it prone to sink. The amount of water it *can* displace is heavier, but in a stable state it will be equal, yes.

Magic, a Hogwarts trained wizard is part of the crew every steel ship. You can find him in the hold saying Floatissimus Maximus throughout the voyage. Wizards having heart attacks is why we have the Bermuda Triangle

Agreed, well put.
The long legs are just there for backup. Amirite?

It displaces lots of water. L2physics.

You should see the forklift they loaded it with

Either extremely retarded or b8.

>Wizards having heart attacks is why we have the Bermuda Triangle

Shiiiit no it makes sense

Meme magic

Water can't float steel beams

I need a definitive answer for the thread, it's too complicated for a literally retarded person like me :

it literally works on faith in the models of modern physics that is why nobody is allowed to question it. try telling a scientist that the world is flat and he wont stop laughing in your face until you leave the room. he is laughing at you because if you stop believing in their magical formulas and calculations it would all fall apart within seconds. dont even bother trying to really understand it because nobody does and thats why it works

You fucked my mind even harder with this tho...

now i think about it i think boats are a conspiracy

>being this newfag

The ship is lighter than the water it displaces, because 1) it's hollow, and 2) there's a lot of ship below the surface of the ocean.

It doesn't, the ocean is a lie by Nasa to help create the globe Earth myth.

the girl who modeled for that definitely has a trump rape fetish

>heavier

you were looking for more dense

concrete ships kinda sorts sucked doe...

i has boner

Sailor here: Buoyancy.
This thread is retarded.

I googled it
seems like you're right

Buoyancy

Are you blind ??

Like a navy sailor...squid..bluejacket? Faggot spotted.....

Steel is made of iron, which is very magnetic. The iron in the earth's core makes the earth's magnetic field which pushes against the magnetic field in ships and makes them float.

Because steel is more water resistant than iron.

By laying on top of your mother and fucking her faster for speed.

my sides inhaled helium and flew away

seriously how the fuck?

in addition, what are they hiding in antarctica?

i'll use that in class. thanks

Yeah, my bad.

Cuz steel is lighter than feathers

simple: vertical propellers

the red propellers keep the boat uplifted

the green propller pushed it forward

withough red propellors the boak sinks

>because sea water cant melt steel ships

The containers are filled with helium.

Its full of jet fuel, which is lighter than water

so close

>waters surface tension.

no. water pressure intensifies with depth. water tension barely keeps a water strider afloat.

ouch

its simple, didnt they teach you faggots in school?

boats, especially new are very big
cover a lot of surface area
bubbles released by fish and other sea vermin get caught under boat
boat floats

Honestly someone explain this to me in really really simple language

big heavy object doesn't sink? it makes no fucking sense. im not trolling, i dont know what's going on

It has air inside the steel

right boat is how they invented submarine

...and jet fuel.

White Magic

>like a Migrant and a German Woman
topkek

That makes sense, every time I throw a brick at a cat, it seems to miss, I assume it must be the electrons pushing the cat out of the way.

/thread

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes'_principle

The hull is filled with helium.