Can you self-taper off alcohol when you have alcoholism?

can you self-taper off alcohol when you have alcoholism?

shutup nigger

Get somebody to lock you in a hotel bathroom for a week. I did that for a friend and he only relapses occasionally.

Possibly.

yes. you can do anything. but you have to replace it with other habits, like exercise or reading. no homo, but getting back in touch with my spirituality helped me. set up an altar, meditated, kept track of my progress. prayed for strenght.

i eventually went back to it hard. now im better but this time i have people supporting me as well.

Alcohol is only an enabler. If you're a dick, etc with alcohol it just meant that's what you are inside. I've seen plenty of alcohols get off, deal with their shit, and drink again with no issue.

I have the willpower to do it, but the withdrawal symptoms are a mother.

I went as long as I could and made the inevitable drive to the convenience store at 1AM to make them stop.

I'm down with the idea of tapering off but curious if I can do it on my own.

FUCK STOPPING
DRINK EVAN WILLIAMS
well i have never seen anyone else on Sup Forums with the sensibility to drink the reasonably priced, wonderfully blended, over-proofed wonderful liquor which is Evan Williams Bourbon
AKA
the oldest bourbon in USA

if you want to stop, fuck you
if you wanna say "cheers" to me with a tall glass of Evan Williams on ice, then i say, CHEERS

But I guess an addiction vs a problem that's unrelated but worsens with booze aren't the same thing, and even can coexist, so disregard my words

Pic relate : my christmas vacation this far

>on ice
fag

you can't beat alcohol without a structured rehabilitation

proof?

M8 I can drink 2 5ths of Evan and barely feel tipsy. Shit is solid in the taste department but when I wanna get drunk it's all about Jackie D

>u can't do anything without daddy holding you're hand
kill you're selve fgt

>E.W. : 43% abv
>J.D. : 40% abv
>claims J.D. gets him more drunk than E.W.
well it's pretty clear youre an underaged faggot so i'm gonna go ahead and report you now
have fun in the pokey, faggot

tapering is definitely the way to go. skip a day drink weaker shit and eventually stretch out the days further

I haven't had a drink in 24 hours and fuck the shakes are bad, started coughing earlier and eventually threw up

I drink a bottle of 50% shit like 5 times a week

I could stop but I just feel so dead inside when I'm sober. going to need to try and find something that entertains me when I decide to stop

would like to avoid serious symptoms like that, but I guess they're inevitable? even with professional help.

go to the hospital, tell them you're having alcohol withdrawals, like really bad shakes. they'll give you tranquilizers and something for nausea. they'll pump you full of all the shit your body lost because of alcohol, and let you chill through it.

after that I never wanted to touch a drink ever again

nty

dont let it get to that point the only way i can sleep now is when im drunk otherwise i feel like im in a constant awake state and the night sweats are shitty

what fucked me up is my tolerance started going up. used to drink 375ml 40% day a day then i went to the 750 40% now i need a bottle of 50% to feel hammered. sometimes I can get very close to downing a bottle of 151

lasts a day or two and you'll feel like a million dollars one you get out

>20 year aged jack Daniels, you cunt. Only the finest

that's fine and all unless you're physically dependent on alcohol. the withdrawal can kill you via seizures.

you basically need to detox with medical supervision. they'll give you meds to survive the worst of it, typically benzos.

otherwise you risk seizures

Gaining a tolerance sucks balls

I remember back when 4 shots was enough to get me plastered and now if I wanna get fucked up I literally have to plan the day around it. Make sure I don't eat any breads for dinner. Maybe give blood. Then hit the vodka or if I really hate myself I get Everclear.

Just the work required to get where I wanna be has nearly got me to stop drinking.

I'm p much at the same point.

I'll change it up and drink a 12 pack every other night or two, but that doesn't change my tolerance overall.

I've quit drinking entirely from a 30 drink a day rate but not sure I can do it again without tapering. I was 20 or so at the time and feel like that factored in my ability to quit whereas I'm 25 now and have been drinking steady for 3 years now. : /

if you taper for awhile can you still risk having a seizure? I'm too embarrassed to admit I have a problem and have my family wondering why I checked into the hospital

same.

asking for a friend.

i'll tell you faggots what, ITT we're seeing some of the rooted problems with this generation

"omfg hold my hand through every thing or else i might die omfg i'm a cock sucking pussy faggot bitch"

ITT you can read between the lines and find out why white women have started reproducing with other races

man the fuck up you faggots

i'm a full blown alcoholic but i don't pretend to be some kind of fucking retarded zero loser pussy boi cunt bitch who needs to cry about his life

if you want to stop drinking then just fucking stop dirnking you fucking shit lord limp-dicked cuntfaced loose-butt-hole gloryhole-cocksucking fucks

said the faggot

On christmas, I drank my christmas present, some single malt scotch, and blacked out, woke up the next day, had physically harmed myself, felt like throwing up. "Im never drinking again" drunk right now.

It takes severe dedication or a serious reason. Unless you're not a beta fag like me.

I used to be a positive guy that hit the gym 3 times a week. went through a bad breakup and yeah like a bitch i used the booze to numb myself but im over that shit now and just enjoy being drunk off my ass

the other night i couldnt pull myself up off the floor, next morning entire body was sore and full of bruises lmao

Leak your teacher or even your sister lol - snap leak,cf

You have to have some willpower, and some damn good self control, but it's doable I'd assume. My Dad managed to quit smoking cold Turkey when I was five. Hed been a smoker for 20 years. If that is doable, then tapering off booze is also doable, just hard and not for everyone.

Pic kinda related it's what I was drinking a while ago

I appreciate the sentiment.. but I feel like there is a major difference in that if you quit cold turkey off a heavy alcohol addiction there is worse risk.

at this point you are physically dependent on the substance.

you can try to taper-off by yourself, but you're going to get hit with the symptoms regardless and its going to suck.

>I'm too embarrassed to admit I have a problem

any medical facility is bound by law to keep your privacy. you don't have to tell your family shit.

Personally I feel the problem mostly lied with how our parents raised us, generally always there to hold our hands and keep us from getting our feelings or bodies hurt.

Our parents (at least in the south) didn't get that kind of overwhelming supervision. They were let out to do fuck all and solve their own problems. Got a bully? Stop being a bitch. Got a broken arm jumping off the roof? Bet ya won't do that again.

We really need to get back to that kind of parenting. That and to stop sparing the rod. Little shits are starting to get an attitude because their parents are afraid to spank their fucking kids.

Pain holds you back. Don't be a bitch. Just stop drinking. Stop drinking and just be a boring dick.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend taking the cold turkey route, even with tobacco you go though some really shitty withdrawals. If you can't limit your intake of alcohol, or taper off of it you might want to find a support group or something if you really want to quit.

Just stop kiddo.

I feel like this is a misunderstanding going on in this thread..

"abuse" would be drinking to erase the feelies.
"alcoholism" would be drinking that is fundamental as breathing.

I've never been able to taper off of alcohol using alcohol. Once I have started drinking the urge to continue is stronger than the urge to drink if I just haven't even had anything yet. So I'll always drink until I pass out. I recommend benzos for this.

Withdrawals from benzos are worse than alcohol, so be careful with that.

strong irony

Oh yeah you should definitely only do it for a few days to get past the worst of it. It shouldn't be a long term thing.

This

I was raised in Arkansas, you were taught to say yes ma'am and no sir. While my parent didn't spank me that often, I knew if I did something blatantly retard I'm gonna get whooped. Kids these days have shit manners and throw tantrums if they don't get what they want, despite being 12 years old. Their parents hover around and baby them everyday.they can't have their self esteem and feelings hurt and shit and have to be guided around.

Also why do people put kids in leashes nowdays? Kids aren't dogs

Underaged poster spotted.

>yes ma'am and no sir
Fuck off you redneck cuck.

I feel like alcoholism can be self-derived.

I understand the angle but don't necessarily agree with it.

Its basic respect you northern nigger

>im a full blown alcoholic
>doesn't know you can easely die going cold turkey

seizures aren't fun

pretending to be an alcoholic doesn't make you cool kid. cussing doesn't either.

his dubs say otherwise..

I grew up in Alabama and I didn't do this, and I made fun of the faggots who did. It's not the 1800's anymore.

what part?

There's plenty of reasons why people fall into alcoholism and drug addiction. I think that some of its is the shock actually having to go out into the real world after being cared for so well by your parents. Of course there is the flip side where the parents are awful and let their kid fall into this cycle cause they either do the same things or just generally don't give a shit. One needs to strike a balance of hands off and stepping in every time.

Suburb of Birmingham

Trussville here

I agree. I feel like there's no point in generalizing addiction to any particular class. It's just a nasty part of human nature.

Vestavia here, also lived in Homewood and Southside for years as an adult. Not there anymore though.

I have to visit family down by Pleasant Grove tomorrow

I'm familiar with the area, I work all around Birmingham regularly.

reminds me of a thread from a year or two back for some reason..

"205 thread" Birmingham, a sub-rural town where all anyone ever does is sit around and smoke weed.

p clutch description. hope all is well for you though.

Yeah that does seem pretty accurate. I sat around and drank, but no need to split hairs over a different drug of choice. Same basic thing.

you going to the Birmingham Bowl? xD

Kek no idea what that is, and I am on the other side of the country now anyway.

I always dread going down there, my grandmother lives in the Brookedale nursing home. She's essentially a vegetable from years of Alzheimer's, but my dads sister hasn't really let go of her yet. Doing she'll be around much longer either, she's barely able to swallow at this point, so I need to go see her before she passes

double-shot of Evan followed by a double IPA

I gotcha, thought you were staying in Vestavia still..

it's a shitty college football bowl game at Legion Field that is happening tomorrow. I'm sure the turnout will be laughable.

I understand the dread, kind of a grey area of life where you feel obligated to do fucked up things.

you're doing God's work though.

nice, yea it's me with the double-empty half-gallon EW jugs
i had a local IPA with dinner (cod sandwich and a salad) along with a couple bud lights
now i'm drinking just to get fucking wasted cause i'm out of EW

FUCK IT BOYS GET FUCKED

r u stoopid?

IPA's are shit

says the guy drinking Buttweiper

Nice trips

trip checked
however
fuck you

>bud
wrong son

they're shit
they only make them for retards who think beer is supposed to taste like nothing but shitty hops

>shitty hops
stick to your tasteless Lite beer, Chad

just tonight i've had 3 different ales and two lagers
suck it craft cuck

>chasing ale with lager
barbaric savages

Yes OP I've done it. I drank so heavy for so long got to where my stomach couldnt even hold water much less alcohol. Went through the full dts. Shakes, sweats, spasms, panic, puking, shitting, seeing and hearing shit that wasnt there (birds flying across ceiling, rats running on the floor, people calling my name from other rooms when I wasnt home, people talking outside my window that werent there. Almost called an ambulance for myself. Yes its possible. After about 12 hours of eating crackers, drinking water, puking it back up, doing it again and again my friend (who I had just told to take me to the er) went out and got me some budlight and a bag of ice. I sipped bud light on ice, and that calmed me down enough to not feel like I was about to have a heart attack. I couldnt sleep or eat for 3 days. But sipping beer on ice will help. If you can stomach the liquor, taper with that for a couple of days then go to beer. But you need to stop. dont just cut down till you feel better then start up again. Trust me I've done it a thousand times. Start with one shot per hour. 8 hours later go to one every 2 hours, with beer as needed. Keep reducing. You'll be fine. My stomach refusing liquor forced the dts on me but if you're not at that point yet then yes you can safely taper off with alcohol. Seriously stop though. Its ruined my life.

"when I wasnt home" was supposed to be "when I was home alone". I both saw and felt my cat jump on me in bed. Only to look across the room and see her sleeping on my dresser. I'd hear my mom calling me from the other room when I lived alone. I got so used to seeing bugs and rats and bats that I just ignored them. If this happens, put on a low light in your room. It'll help take away the hallucinations, they're worse when the room is dark, and turn on a low tv with a calm channel like home shopping network or the golf channel or something. Most importantly is to stay calm. Most of that heart attack feeling is just panic dts. You will feel like shit for days. But when you can eat again, go with bland shit like turkey sandwich, rice, applesauce, bananas and apples etc. Get used to the fact you will feel worse than death for a couple days.

Yes, i did, im still a drunk and gonna die from it but i drink 4-7 pints of old english everynight never black out and still keep a job and a family life, learn to live with it

Last time I was admitted to the ER my BAC was .53.
I choose to go through withdrawals on my own now, it helps if you take a bunch of gabapentins, or hydros, or Suboxone, and really good edibles work great as well.

congrats, you are a fucking useless piece of shit and should be ashamed that the taxpayers are forced to suffer through the agony of supporting your worthless, miserable life. please kill yourself at the earliest possible convenience

more info on me incase OP is asking for himself not out of curiosity. With beer on ice, even tho I kept puking it up, I was able to get to where I could hold down food on day 3 and sleep. I then switched to non alcoholic beer. I got to where I didnt need to drink to keep away dts, then got bored one day and bought another pint of whiskey. My habit was 2 to 2.5 pints of cheap 3 dollar whiskey (t.w. samuels) per day. Now I'm almost back up to that amount. Other advice, if you also smoke, dont do it during your withdrawal. You wont crave it that much anyway, and it will only raise your heart rate and blood pressure, all the things that the alcohol was keeping down. So yeah you'll feel like you're having a heart attack if you light up while going through withdrawal. Stock up on ice and bud light. And be ready to puke and shit yourself for 2 days atleast.

Checked