Hey Sup Forums. Im thinking of getting an acoustic guitar with very little background in music...

Hey Sup Forums. Im thinking of getting an acoustic guitar with very little background in music. I was thinking of self teaching because im not playing to be in a band but more of a spare time thing.

How hard is it to learn simple songs and get to more advance tunes?

if you want to be a one trick pony, you can learn in a year or two. if you want to play music, it will take you a lifetime.

So learn the piano instead?

Nah OP, if you spend those 1-2 years right you'll pick up things as you go and learn many things. Just practice, and learn theory.

Piano is a good way to visualize notes.

guitar is really difficult at first, but once you get the basics down it becomes very easy to learn new songs. along with piano i'd say it's one of the easiest instruments for singer/songwriters

Guitar teacher here.

Self-teaching isn't impossible but you will progress faster with a teacher.

That said, most people can pick up the basic open chords on their own pretty well and Youtube and stuff makes it easier than ever to self-teach.

Basically, I'd say go for it.

Playing guitar isn't hard, you'll never be satriani but you can get decent if you practice enough.

My recommendation is to start with some songs you like, then get into the theory.

Learn about the composition of chords, and learn about scales. Watch some youtube videos if you need someone to explain it to you.

It will take a few years before you're playing well, but it's worth it.

Is a grandiose faggot

OP here. Now i wanted like i said to just play on spare time, don't intend to be a star or whatever.

Now if i self teach myself and i know its more of a difficult thing but im not to excited to have people see me start from scratch.

Also ive read up on the type of woods to look out for in a guitar. Do you guys have any recommendation for a price range of 300 to maybe 600?

Your first guitar SHOULD be a shit tier guitar imo
Find something cheap so that you don't waste your money if you give it up, end up not having enough time to practice, etc.

Buy a nice one once you're playing well and regularly.

Yea I get ya user. Practice at home alone. I practice in the forest and record myself. Practice with songs in the background. But getting theory isn't for being a star, it will help move around the guitar. Slowly but surely you'll get it. I'd recommend house of the rising sun to start with.

Regarding woods, I haven't a clue...

OP
Ya sounds like the smart choice. I was thinking of something at my local best buy.

alright that sounds very relaxing. So getting the theory down and simple cords is key to beginners im imagining.

you can teach yourself no problem, YouTube has tens of thousands of hours of lessons and tutorials

my biggest piece of advice would be don't get discouraged. almost everyone gives up and quits a few times while learning, just keep coming back to it.

OP
Ya i was thinking that myself. I'm definitely going to practice when i can and not get discourage from playing. Its something im definitely feeling pretty passionate about right now.

For beginners what's really important is the basic chords, the fingering (each fret gets 1 finger), and theory ( Which, you can worry about after a few simple chord songs)

Once all three are learned you should be able to improvise a bit

shouldve added a pic, but heres some chords. looks daunting

OP
That is actually great to save thanks!

lmao babbies first chords hahahahahaha invert a Bb13#11 and get back tome ahahahahahhahaha

What an insufferable faggot.

I feel like you used to have really long hair and you live in Illinois.

Op here.

Well you all have been a great help.

I think im more confident now with what im going for and hopefully it all works out. Ill stay till the thread dies if anyone has anything else to say.

Thanks again everyone!

thats a wierd way to say jazz musician

With instructional videos readily available online, it's easier to learn an instrument now than it has ever been. Just remember: whatever effort you put into it is what will determine how fast you progress. At first it is somewhat difficult, but as your fingers grow calloused and stronger, and you start to learn scales and how to transfer between chords with ease, the wall will start to come down and you'll learn much quicker. Just stick with it for a while and you'll get there.

Also interested: which youtube instructor/channel do you recommend for guitards?