So I wanna learn how to play Drums Sup Forums

So I wanna learn how to play Drums Sup Forums.
Is there anyone I should look into for more resources and inspiration?
Any beginner tips?

You should try shoving those sticks up your ass, feels good tbqh

Already tried that, it popped out the moment it went in.

Ringo is good drummer to try to imitate for rock. Mostly simple stuff, A Day in the Life being an exception, and it's fun so you'll want to learn more.

Thanks user, I haven't actually taken much notice of the Beatles even though I'm well aware of them.

Np. Did you just start playing? I haven't played in years. Don't have room/finances for a kit at the moment.

I know tons of drummers (myself included) have learned by just getting really good at Rock Band. The only problem with that is that you miss out on a lot of important technique stuff. My suggestion is to find a copy of Rock Band (or one of those PC clones that does drums like Frets on Fire) and just practice until you're comfortable using all of your limbs. While you're doing that, look up beginner tutorials on Youtube and practice different rudiments (e.g. paradiddles). If you know any good drummers, talk to them about things like how they hold their sticks. I can't promise that this is the best way to learn it, but it was pretty easy and fun for me, and I think it would at least get you to a point where you can hold your own in a band setting.

Oh, and also drums along to pop music. I spent a lot of my early years drumming along to Lady Gaga because it's easy to follow along and helps you with rhythm.

learn the song 'Five Years' by Bowie

Yeah sort of, I'm like a very bare beginner. I'm trying to get a kit as soon as possible.

Cool. Best of luck man.

Thank you user, I'll heed your advice.

I'll try, hopefully I'll get it.

Buy a digital drum set so you dont annoy your neighbors dont be an asshole.

If you want to be in a band and don't have a ton of money, don't get an electronic drum set. They sell dampeners that make your kit quieter. Your neighbors can deal with it. If you have the money, get both.

That being said, if you live in an apartment/townhouse/etc, get an electronic kit. That's too close.

>that feeling when your neighbor is a drummer
>over the years you listened to him progress from shit to pretty good
>even though you don't know them you are proud of them for some reason

Not OP, but thank you. I have a kit but don't know where to start. This is the most helpful post I've seen.

>don't practice by actually playing drums, practice by playing video games first
yes that is great advice

get a metronome OP

Well I played a ton of Rock Band with my buddies a few years ago and it actually helped with rythm, as well as being fun as fuck. It's a good tip.

I'm in an apartment, so I'll probably go for an electronic drum set.
Maybe I can use eggshells to cover the noise lol

Look up Neil Peart

I mean egg shell covering thing fuck.

Practice. Practice with other people. Practice by yourself. Try to play the kind of drumming you like to listen to. Watch technique videos on YouTube. Practice.

This is some of the worst advice I've ever seen on Sup Forums. Like what the fuck, you'd have to be full retard to think that a video game can teach you drums.

step 1. listen to led zeppelin
step 2. pick your favorite song
step 3. perfect it

then you have 80% of what you need to be a drummer

Disregard this tip.

Perfect your rudiments and do some basic 4/4 jamming.

I just taught myself. You just have to be able to keep time. Focus on the kick, high hat, and snare. Once you perfect the "classic" rock beat, you're free to add your own flavor with toms/cymbals etc.

Get a pad and sticks. buy "stick control for snare drummers". Play through it. Learn all the rudiments. buy a drumset and get some more books. Realistic rock for rock, boo drumming for jazz, and linear drumming for coolness. Play songs. become a god

self taught drummers are the worst.
OP, use books, the internet, and consider getting a teacher. Doing it by ear makes you into a shit drummer that spreads his cancer to other shit drummers.

I've been playing on and off for about 8 years now, and I think becoming a "drummer" as opposed to learning how to play basic drums alongside other instruments requires a balance of several approaches:
>transcribe grooves and solos you like by slowing them down, writing them down, learning them at a really slow tempo, then gradually picking up the tempo over the course of several sessions sitting down at a kit.
The feeling of finally getting something you learned down is so satisfying, and I believe that learning things you enjoy is essential, especially when you're grinding out rudimentary stuff.
>Learn basic patterns from youtube videos or from a lesson teacher, even if it's just once or twice a week. It can get really boring and frustrating, depending on how hard the stuff is. I'd try to get double-strokes out of the way first because they're extremely fucking useful. Also, learn how to read different rhythms.
>Apply as much shit you learn asap to what you play. (Even on other instruments, I've heard from several teachers that learning rudiments without applying them can be demotivating and maybe even useless. Practice placing fills at the ends of certain grooves, in different spots, if you can.
>Play with other people. Improvise to stuff with a lot of space like krautrock, post-rock, etc. Or you can play along to any songs that fit the style you're going for, like funk, jazz, metal, rock.
>Mess around and make up stuff. Scribble stuff down.
>Watch live bands that have drummers. It can be a potent dose of inspiration, even if they suck in your eyes. You'll want to go home and flesh out some shit. Unless you see a god like Antonio Sanchez, Brian Blade, Marco Minnemann, or even tech-death drummers. Then you'll probably just wanna quit lol.
>Have fun, for the love of fuck. Don't fucking stress about how bad you think you are. All of us (except maybe spoiled richfags and child prodigies) have to deal with that and push through it, no matter what level.

gl

Ignore this guy , The Beatles is definitely a very good band to start learning the drums. Heck, I know plenty of drummers who more or less got started by imitating Ringo's drumming on their lap, watching Beatles concerts.

Songs like Ticket to Ride, In My Life, Tomorrow Never Knows and many others have pretty simple patterns that are still interesting and relatively unconventional.

If you're already kinda good technically and are just looking for inspiration, I'd recommend looking into reggae and bossa nova. Those are two styles that have a very, uh, "defined" drumming style that is actually kind of far away from typical rock drumming, but which you can easily adapt into rock or other genres. I mean, look at Stewart Copeland for great reggae inspiration in rock/punk music.

Jazz drumming is also definitely interesting. My all time favorite jazz drummer is Joe Morello, from the Dave Brubeck Quartet. He's notable for managing weird time signatures and having a very melodic, fluid drumming style.

But really, any style can be interesting to look at. Funk, rockabily, military marches, etc. As a general advice, I'd say sometimes the key to creativity can be to play *less*. Once again, Stewart Copeland was for example notable for *not* playing his kick drum on the first beat. (reggae inspiration) Panda Bear got some pretty good drum patterns on Feels & Strawberry Jam by reducing his drum kit to something minimalist with no kick drum. Ringo Starr has a lot of songs with barely any hi-hat.

go introduce yourself and tell them you like their drumming ya dingus

nice generalization there bud

t. jazz drummer with no friends. have fun jerking it to Whiplash

I unironically first learned drums by playing the drums for Guitar Hero World Tour when I was around 12 and constantly air drumming/tapping on my thighs in class throughout middle school and high school. I eventually got an actual drum kit though.

Kek.