Ok tards, greentext how/when you became an atheist:

Ok tards, greentext how/when you became an atheist:

>Be me in primary school
>state run school is kinda religious, field trips to church, visiting priests, etc.
>early nineties when that shit still flew.
>one friday we have a big assembly in the school assembly room
>a priest I knew is talking about his buddy Jesus and stuff
>kids are made to stand up and say prayers and quote the bible and talk about God
>I hate being made to do this so I sit all the way in the back and hope noone notices me
>think about how much bullshit all this is.
>wanna stand up and say something smart about how there is no God
>would probably be sent to the principal's office so I decide not to say anything
>all of a sudden I hear the priest call my name
>"user? Where is user?"
>rat bastard next to me points me out
>priest calls out: "Is that you user?"
>"it's me" I reply
>get light shined on me
>"tell us why you like Jesus, user..."
>think that if God was real he would not be ok with this bullshit

MFW that was me in the corner. That was me in the spotlight losing my religion.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

good one

I dabbled with the idea of atheism in middle school, prior to that I was agnostic, and after that I maintained my agnosticism.

Religion allows some people comfort, who am I to tell them they are wrong? That would be rude, and it wouldn't be constructive if they are steadfast in their beliefs. Actively deciding that god doesn't exist is just as fallible as deciding that god does exist. The only way to win that game is not to play.

>TL:DR I'm even smarterer than the Atheists who think they're smarter than everyone else.

you feel you are loos'in your religion op?

I doubt there are many true atheists. Most are agnostic, but use atheism because it's functionally true. They assume that god isn't real until proven otherwise. You really dont need to entertain the idea of god without spectacular evidence first.

I realized if there was a God he wouldn't give a shit about how often people tell him how great he is.

And that maybe there wouldn't be 9001 interpretations of him.

And that even if there was, he wouldn't care if there were and if they believed, only that they were good people.

The end.

You people who go around calling yourselves agnostic are retarded. If you do no believe any gods exist then you are an athiest. 'Not knowing' is not believing. There are people who 'absolutely know' there are no gods, but that is equally illogical.

Also, there are no fucking gods ffs you guys.

Here's the thing, the terms are very clear.

Atheist - Assertion that there is no god.
Agnostic - No assertions that god exists or doesn't exist.

So Atheists are thereby making the claim that there is no god. Simply by defining yourself as atheist you seek to deny the existence of god.

Agnostics make no claim in the argument whatsoever. A true abstention.

So change your title.
Atheists are the people who say "there is no god" when someone asks them what religion they practice. They then proceed to tell some poor lady how her entire worldview is wrong and she's subjecting herself to the dogma of the church simply because she's not "enlightened".

Agnostics just say "oh i was raised catholic". Then move on because there's more important shit to talk about.

The bait is strong with this one.

Yeah pretty sure you meant to quote

There you go, telling people what they meant and whats right. Jeez user, whats the point of it all if youre always right?

Cant we all just fuck traps and get along, sharing stories of boipucci?

be hardcore christian
at the age of 16 realize that religion is not logical
start seeing religions fags as crazy and delusional
atheist

I don't believe in green text either

I became an atheist because I just saw this post and realized how much of a faggot you are OP. Then I was like.....fuck if this asshole somehow exists then god can't be real.

No greentext as it wasn't a specific moment
I just never really enjoyed attending church but simultaneously assumed that what they said must be true because my parents thought so. Later I thought that maybe human interpretation of God was kinda bunk because the way they present him being benevolent actually just makes him sound like an asshole. Eventually I just realized it was simpler and made more sense that he didn't exist at all, or had literally 0 effect on our lives which makes him functionally nonexistent

i wasnt raised religious so ive always been on the fence because i dont know anything but my dad:
>was a built like a crippled tank
>lost toes on one foot when 3 crippled since
>beats other kids to near death kicked out of 4 schools by the 6th grade
>forced into catholic school by overly religious mom and grandma
>comes to realization that Christianity inst cool like all the other kids
>becomes edgy 80's teen
>moves to Florida and meets a hatian guy (well call him wene)
>wene teaches him the fun of hatian voodoo
>dad is now pagan who practices both pagan shit and voodoo shit
met wene for the first last year cool guy
i went to church once and it was fucking werid have the people there i was related to

I was raised christian, when I was around 13 or 14 I read Nietzsche, Sartre and a few other culprits and became an atheist. This is worth greentexting for the keks I think... Lemme try...

>me be
>14
>parents roman catholics, lil' hippie tho
>I spent all day reading wikipedia or playing BG:EE
>had the game on my iPad, was on desktop so read wiki
>english teacher says every wiki page ends up leading you to philosophy
>I say "wats filosofey"
>start reading
>find myself reading Nietzsche and Sartre besides Kant (and Marx I think, not sure actually)
>took religious ideas from Nietzsche, moral from Kant and anthropology from Sartre
>became an atheist, nihiloexistentialist, purely rational Lawful Good

That's it.

Nobody ever fucking understands Nietzsche. They think he's some nihilist dipshit, but he actually argues AGAINST nihilism, he's an existentialist and a humanist but nobody ever gets that because he's been memed into this atheist nihilist prick because nobody ever actually reads him or takes the time to understand his actual thought process.

>>TL:DR I'm even smarterer than the Atheists who think they're smarter than everyone else.
MY NIGGA

Am I an athiest if I believe we have no fucking clue how or where we came from, but that attempting to solve our origin is the literal only thing that matters until we have an answer; Yet I still worship God since the punishment for being wrong about his existence coupled with the historical plausibility for his existence, in my mind, is the only logical choice. More of a fear of god type thing, not faith.

What am I?

You're taking Pascal's Wager.

You live as though God exists and strive to believe God exists simply because the punishment for not believing is far worse than being right about God not existing.

> in grade 9
> looking at lists of gods
> shit there's thousands
> how many one true gods are there?
> shit
> the notion hits me that our lives are a moment of consciousness between two large dark infinities
> distraught
> didn't talk much for the next couple days

Does that make me Christian? Or maybe there is a more specific name for what I am so when I tell tell people I'm _blank_, or Christian if that's the case, they don't assume shit about me based on my "Christianity".

That's absurd. There are literally an infinite number different possible gods and no matter what you do you will displease basically all of them. It's more insane and pointless to care what a god thinks than to fear everyone you meet is a serial killer or something equally paranoid.

Ah yes, that age old idea that there are just several billions of accidents that just accidently occurred in such a precise way that the earth can sustain life, man becomes the dominant creature, a single cell organism actually evolved into a multicell organism could occur. Super logical. Definitely not the equivelant of "i understand nothing so i guess it just happened xD"

All joking aside it is really neat seeing all the evidence and work then went into putting together a decent history of the universe and life.

I understand him, I know what he says, lmao. I had only read two of his books back then (or 3, shit was 4 years ago), and I was too influenced by Sartre in many aspects. I know he criticises nihilism, but that won't make me change my feeling with that (I know I am wrong on my opinion on my own nihilism but I gradually find myself moving out of it luckily, still a bit unconvinced but hey). Same as with Wagner, Nietzsche said he sounded French... Well, I don't care if he sounds French, Russian or Serbian, he sounds nice and that's it (anyway my favourites are Shostakovich, Stravinsky, Mussorgsky, Liszt and Haydn... And maybe Prokofiev, but I haven't heard anything from him in around 3 years so I'd rather avoid talking about him).

People understanding Nietzsche is my intelligence filter. I only know a bunch of people (teachers I had in high school, my gf (she's actually smarter than me, probably the smartest person I've ever met) and you it seems). Also, I've seen worse. People memeing him into Nazism, LMFAO. If it was on Heidegger, I'd take it, but Nietzsche? Fuckin' twats.

Not going to write out a full counter argument, cause I've tried that a billion times before and it almost never even promotes a second though; and besides that I don't really care if people see eye to eye with me.

However, your argument is trying to find rational among an imagined infinite of possibilities that are neither presented nor have any meaningful data to report. That being when you said "... infinite number of possible gods ...".

I am only considering things that can be known to have at least an existence of data that we can analyze and decide if it is worth believing in. Of course your overwhelmed with disbelief, you are considering all potential answers instead of only looking at the ones that we can realistically think about in an informed state.

>catholicfag
>family fundie Roman Catholic
>built the church in our hometown
>high positions in archdiocese
>smartest uncles jesuit scholars
>achieve Parvuli Dei award in Biy Scouts for being a good brainwashed soldier of God

>Turn 10
>get beaten up by high school kids in the neighborhood with 2x4s and bats
>watched friends bloodied and teeth smashed out
>random attacks all summer
>3 years in a row
>girl I like thinks they're hot
>dates one of them
>gets knocked up by one or more of them

>I begin asking questions in CCD
>the nuns and priests answers
>the end of my faith in the church

>take an interest in how the universe works
>end of my faith in a god
>turn 14

>turn 37
>still looking for any indicator of any or all of the gods' existence
>nothing located

You're only Christian if you abide by the Christian belief of god. Jews and Muslims believe in god too, but to be a part of any of those ideologies you have to follow their teachings/books/sermons/religion. You can be a theist and not subscribe to any major religion, most people can't separate the two.

Well there's also the worry about the Atheists wager. If your belief in god is not genuine there's always the possibility that god rewards honest disbelief and punishes dishonest belief.

Oh look, the classic incorrect concepts of agnostic and atheist, as seen from the perspective of someone unfamiliar with either.

Derp on you crazy bastard.

Are you 12, high, or just retarded? I am stoned off my ass and I can tell you that your response was totally incoherent. What you may think you are sayong is that there are a small number of 'reasonable' gods which might exist and who you try to please, but that makes no sense. Who chooses which gods are possible? You, maybe some other people? Fucking why?

Well, you oversimplify everything and give off a superior tone, so you're either b8ing, or you genuinely don't believe the science.

Either way you're a fucking idiot. God can exist and science can be true at the same time. Ever hear of the "divine clockmaker" theory? God created the big bang, life, evolution, etc.etc. and then just stepped back and let the universe run itself? Maybe he's the why and not the how.

That's not a theory.

That's barely even a hypothesis.

I can't follow you at all, it's like a 5th grader lying about reading the book he was supposed to read and he's making up a bunch of bullshit to appear like he did his homework but everyone's just standing around looking at him like he's retarded. Then the teacher says "ok good job" and rolls her eyes, marks a bad grade, and says "next up". So the poor kid goes back to his seat, confident he gamed the system, grinning ear to ear. "Hah, I didn't even read that book and nobody has a clue" he thinks to himself.

It's unfalsifiable is what it is.

around 8 or 9.... maybe earlier. I went to Sunday school and thought it was so fucking unrealistic and improbable AT AGE FUCKING 9. I know that I sound like an edgelord but if you have faith you're truly a childish delusional fuck. Wake up.

You mean
>Agnostic - Assertions that god(s) exists or doesn't exist?

But what do you do? When Donald Trump introduces you to an Alien / Fallen Angel and claims it is Armageddon and you must flee with the alien or it is the second coming, here to rapture you away.

I don't necessarily believe there isn't a God, but I don't believe there is one either. I like to say I'm agnostic.

I find comfort in thinking or believing that there is something, like or unlike a God, that exists somewhere in the universe, in, or outside of it.

My thought process is, maybe there is something out there, just not what everyone thinks.

Honestly, what I believe is something close to the multiverse theory, but with a controller, or God or something like that.

Maybe it's more of a dream, than a belief, but I believe anything is possible in our universe. Time travel? Yep. FTL travel? Yep. Going beyond the universe? Yeah.

I feel like there's more than just, our universe. It doesn't make enough sense to me when it comes to a giant empty area full of what we call matter and light with seemingly no end. No matter what theory you throw at me.

The fuck is hanging out of his nose?

I went to church until I was six and then my parents got to busy to take me. I went back again when I was around 13 and didn't understand how people actually believed in all that stuff.

Ring r tard

That's called deism. It's what, if you familiarize yourself with what the enlightenment-era intellectual elite, aka the founding fafs of this country were referring to when they called themselves "desists". Except for Spinoza, Locke, Jefferson, Paine, Smith, Adams, and Madison, who after a lifetime of researching it, had no use for any of it and saw only abuses of mans failings and curbing of mans higher faculties to enable the logic virus.

I like jeffersons rants against Christians, and the dangers theists posed to democracy and the future of mankind. Pretty spot on.

Your missing what I'm saying.

I'm not saying I'm deciding which are possible and which are not. I literally said that ALL POSSIBLE ANSWERS are potentially right, that means even imagined ones.

However, I don't think we should take into consideration any options that are not documented in some way or another. Jesus is documented. The greek pantheon has quantifiable potential. Harambe even has data on him that we can use in deciding if he is the most probable god-figure. But if we think up a god and say "Hey maybe this one I just thought of is the real one." then we will have a leaning to believe in other more founded gods since we know we just thought this one up and we can't measure it's potential to exist... since we just thought it up...

IT MIGHT EXIST! I don't know, no one knows. But gods from history have more background.

Pic related. Your onion doesn't matter to me. I'm going top bed. G'night sir and or baitlord.

Huh, ok. Whatever you want I guess. Not gonna loose my time arguing.

So you're disputing biblical theory but praising biblical teaching? I'm very confused with this type of bait.

Sure, the rest of them too.

But they're all just made up. Are you saying it's a popularity constest or what?

Nigga you need to familiarize yourself with the concept of a theory before using it in a sentence.

You fags are not even speaking the same language.

2017 is the year of the return of our saviour.

Atheistcucks prepared to get fucked into non-existence.

Well I mean you just can't be so one sided just for abrahamic god you also have to think for the others because they might exist. It doesn't always have to be one creator.

>never

I know it's insufferable, but It follows that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Writing stories about, having rituals to follow, building monuments, and all the personal anecdotes in the world still don't add up to the existence of a higher power, much less one that has any vested interest in our affairs here on earth.
It's a default position till there's something convincing.

If there is a god then he is a right bastard for making niggers earth quakes and small dicks. What a true cunt he mist be

You can't even talk science on /sci/. No one here knows formal logic or what the scientific method is.

Ok pump the breaks. I agreed with you, you can't convince me any more than you already have.

>2017 is the year of the return of our saviour.
In your mind.
>Atheistcucks prepared to get fucked into non-existence.
You mean
>Atheistcucks prepare to get fucked into non-existence.
You're also showing how much of a thoughless faggot you are, user. Here's a (you) and a go kys.

Maybe he just sucks at making universes.

>you can't convince me any more than you already have.
Wasn't planning on it.

A theory is just a concept made into a hypothesis. You guys are ingnorant. Go back to 4th grade where the scientific method is taught because you need to learn it. You start with a study athen a research then you prove it into a theory and a fact duh, its like you dont even know how to do science right

Or has a twisted sense of humour and thats why he created sexual dieses

>never liked church very much
>Thought it was stupid that an all knowing God would give a shit whether or not we huddled together in a building to say how cool he is once a week
>Get to college
>Meet atheist
>Realize it's not just assholes who don't like god
>Realize how absurd the idea of a deity is
>Now i am become atheist, destroyer of kill me now please

Nobody told him that Trump is basically an atheist.

Yeah, you're atheistic, we get it. You're not inventing the fucking genre you twat. You're stepping into the default mindset of all of humanity, before it's convinced of various absurdities.

>but no, I don't know for sure
Exactly. You'r a-theistic. If you were theistic, you would be saying you do very much indeed know for sure which hilariously human-like version of a God is the real deal. But you don't, and as one who does not subscribe to a branch of theism, are a-theistic, or atheist. Congrats, you're just like everyone else. Special snowflake status revoked. No one knows anything for use.

So what is your understanding of Nietzsche then, if he's not a Nihilist or a Nazi, what is he. In your own words.

Lol I hope to all the gods that this is a joke

>god is a 12 yo edgelord
That makes perfect sense.

Do yourself the favor of never speaking words again.

I was chatting to a pastor one day, and asking him a number of questions.

> "If I murdered a man, would god tell the police?"
No user, but god would know you had done it.
> "If I ran away though, would he follow me everywhere?"
God is always everywhere user, he doesn't need to move.
>"Would I go straight down to hell?"
God would do everything in his power to stop this if you truly believe in him.
> "But if I did it, would god abandon me?"
No user, god never leaves your side.
> "But how do you know this father?"

Because my son, god is never gonna
Give you up.
Let you down.
Run around and
Desert you....

Are you 16? Nietzsche would have been horrified to see what his ideas would become under nazi ideology, and we don't ebven have to speculate on that, because he came right out and predicted it. His nazi sister was the one who cherry picked and skewed his words around to fit the ideology.

Nigga was a philosopher.

>be me
>17
> have super religious baptist gf
> she tells me I need to come to terms with god or we can't be together
> fuck it, I've always called myself christian why not give it an honet try
> go to church with her and her family
> every goddamn Sunday at 8 AM
> 9/10 times hungover as shit
> last time I go with her, the preacher says to the crowd
>"There is more fact in the bible than fiction. Tell that to the non-believer"
> open to literally the first book
> Adam dies at 930 YEARS OLD
> lol k no thanks
> pretend to believe and get hand jobs for the next few months
> shit was kinda cash

>Nigga was a philosopher.
DUH. But what kind of philosophy. I outright say he's not a Nihilist, even though he somehow has a reputation for being one. What do you believe he is, within the realm of philosophical thought. There's hundreds of different classifications and schools of thought within the banner of philosophy, Nihilist being one of them.

around the same time i stopped believing in santa and other fairy tales. 6 or 7 maybe.

Agnosticism is just intellectually lazy.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot

>be me
>4 years old
>dad takes me to church sundays
>near christmas
>get called on to reenact bible scene with group of other children
>supposed to bring water up to some bitch on the altar
>showtime
>walk up with water in pot and feel a familar pressure in my anus
>shit my pants
>absolutely putrid smell
>women in front rows gagging, men laughing
>start crying and run away to bathroom
>dad finds me, he's laughing his ass off
>takes me home
>never went back

I figured if God was a big enough faggot to do that to a little kid like me then I didn't need to waste any of my time for him

You mean santa isnt real?

Lol you're all wrong

Theist/atheist is a statement about what you believe while gnostic/agnostic is a statement about what you know

You can be an agnostic atheist, in fact most atheists are

Just stop, user. They aren't going to listen. "Agnostic", to them, means "athiest that is acceptable to churchy friends".

Never negotiate with social people. You'll always get thrown under the bus in favor of the social contract. Every god-damned time.

I have immense respect for Bertrand Russell, but you don't entirely understand his argument, he's stating that only choosing to make or believe claims that are unfalsifiable is lazy. Being Agnostic doesn't make any claims it's entirely the opposite, it's noncommittal. I see the rationale behind atheism, and the arguments for theism, and I chose to abstain, believing instead that neither beliefs prove anything useful and that picking either side would be pointless.

This, at some point you just have to tell them there is no god. No compromise. You don't have to fight about it, but you don't have to put up with that shit either.

You are an athiest, get over it.

I know people think that being agnostic atheist is possible but look at the definitions of the two words.

Atheist - Disbelief in god.
Agnostic - Claims neither disbelief or belief in god.

You cannot be both at the same time.

An Atheist makes a claim. An Atheist is asserting that the notion of god is a falsehood.

An Agnostic makes no claim. An Agnostic abstains from the argument entirely.

You cannot "abstain from the argument but claim that god doesn't exist" that's a complete fallacy.

But I don't deny the possibility of the existence of a god. A god could exist with just as much probability as a god could not exist. There's no point in arguing for either side.

My beliefs are distinct and unique from Atheism.

>He spelled things wrong so he's wrong

What are you retarded AND a faithless slime?

This has to be a joke. Surely no one is this dense.

>I cannot know for sure, but there is no good reason to believe that the divine exists, so I don't

>I am certain that there is the divine does not exist

These are two clearly distinct statements.

I'm gonna drop some knowledge on you, since your teachers obviously failed. Theism deals with belief. Gnosticism deals with knowledge. The two are completely separate axes. You know what axes are, right?

Draw a cross. Like a Christian cross. Two lines, perpendicular to each other. Now put arrows on each end of each line. Now label those lines "Theism" and "Gnosticism".

Do you get it, yet?

>It's God's fault you shit yourself like a retard

You can't be serious.

*>I am certain that the divine does not exist

>>I cannot know for sure, but there is no good reason to believe that the divine exists, so I don't
NO. THIS IS WRONG. LET ME CORRECT YOU.

I cannot know for sure that the divine exists.

Full goddamned stop.

Not one myself, but believe it to be the path of truth. You're right. God ain't okay with that shit.

Sorry, OP. Took me a minute. I like REM, too.

This is so,etching that has me fucked up... If the many worlds theory is true, then could it be possible that God could exist? Or that I or one of you could be God in one of these parallel universes?

You think Atheism = Agnosticism but the two words don't mean the same thing. You need to look at a dictionary before you can understand. You're assuming that Agnostics don't believe in god, but they don't even believe in making the argument.

You're not very bright or you're trolling. Either way it's not actually doing anything besides making you look foolish.

There is this thing called logic where statements are either true or false. Something is false if it is not true. If it is not true that you believe in any gods, then you do not believe in any god and are an athiest. It doesn't matter what else you think.

Can anyone elaborate on this for me?

No. Let me simplify.

>An Atheist says
The door is closed
>A Christian says
The door is open
>An Agnostic says
I don't know if the door is open or closed.

>I cannot know for sure that there is no teapot in orbit, thus I refrain from making any statements for or against

I am contrasting gnostic atheism and agnostic atheism. You are standing on the world's smallest intellectual pedestal.

Math can be used to describe any kind of imaginary universe, news at 11.