Who is the modern day Kubrick? It used to seem fairly obvious that it was Nolan...

Who is the modern day Kubrick? It used to seem fairly obvious that it was Nolan, but now I'm thinking that it might actually be Synder.

You mean who is the modern day director who takes 8 years between movies and makes them with autistic perfectionism and each one is a take on a different genre?

He makes functional well crafted products but he lacks the artistic ambition.

What? There is no modern Kubrick. This is retarded.

Cary Fukunagha.

James Cameron lolz

Refn

Yorgos Lanthimos

You know it's true

He has the autism but without the talent.

Malick

Malick's are all the same genre.

everybody knows that it's gaspar noe

Nuri Bilge Ceylan.

Prove me wrong

>Bilge
You've got that right. YAWN

Spielberg? He's the only one that ventured into different genres and came back successful.

PTA

They go beyond genres. Just because he's not making sci-fi or fantasy flicks doesn't make them all the same.

This legend.

Kubrick is still modern.

Refn and Fincher.

Perfectionism going into films with no heart. Neither are as talented at filling the frame though.

objectively correct

Nolan is horrible, pretentious flicks with horrible writing, acting and storytelling all for the sake of muh complexity

These

It's Joel and Ethan Coen

>self hating jews
>make a variety of genres
>relatively mainstream yet critically acclaimed
>both autistic

Bait

Definitely Snyder.
Controversial and passionately discussed.

Refn

He has a very similar formalist approach, but he's also much more muted and I don't think he has the same ambition as Kubrick. I could never imagine him pulling off a 2001. Thematically I see a similarity though

He's definitely influenced by Kubrick but that's not quite the same thing.

They both nail the black comedy, but Lanthimos is drawn to more unconventional narratives and ideas, and the risks he takes are much more dangerous. Kubrick is at his core a professional Hollywood filmmaker who chooses to operate outside that lens.

Could see this, leaning toward Refn because of their shared predilection for genre films

Completely different IMO. Malick's films are constantly brimming with emotion; the camera moves with a primal sensuality. He gives much more attention to love and human relationships. He's certainly as ambitious though

Stylistically he's probably the closest after Fincher IMO. Both walk the fine line of quality studio pictures and personally significant art. Their camerawork is so similar it's clear that PTA's studied all of his movies. But the actual stories of their films, the themes they tackle and the way they do it, are quite different

I'd say PTA, because he's consistently great, and has a wide range. PTA hasn't covered several of the genres that SK did though. Any comparison is going to be inadequate, but PTA is the only one as consistently good.

you say that like it's a bad thing

PTA is the correct answer

Gaspar Noé?

mel gibson

same. I used to think it was Nolan after Inception but after seeing Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice™ Ultimate Cut™ I'm going for Snyder

No one.

>but now I'm thinking that it might actually be Synder.

I am, I just made Fear and Desire.

Villeneuve