Recently started getting into Aphex Twin, really liking it. Can anyone recommend shit that's similar...

Recently started getting into Aphex Twin, really liking it. Can anyone recommend shit that's similar? Been listening to similar artists/radio on Spotify but so far haven't found any artist or album as prolific as Aphex Twin.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YY_zO_btsbU
youtube.com/watch?v=_NUUKY1L9lk
youtube.com/watch?v=hnGYJVsZlJo
youtube.com/watch?v=EM0WbWb2iZs
youtube.com/watch?v=jwp-i3HQvLc
youtube.com/watch?v=oemlNLt3hCk
youtube.com/watch?v=mhV1OwqnCZQ
bandcamp.ochremusic.com/album/beyond-the-outer-loop
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

similar to what? he has lots of different shit

I guess I should have been more specific. My favorite song so far is Alberto Balsalm, if that helps.

If you like Aphex you might like Oneohtrix Point Never. Very different but it's hard to like one and not the other.

Okay, definitely have some stuff of his on my backlog. Anywhere you'd recommend to start?

check out Luke Vibert and his many aliases

Plug - Drum & Bass For Papa
Wagon Christ - Tally Ho!
Luke Vibert - Yoseph

should work for a start

Awesome thank you very much!

No idea why he is rarely mentioned here, great artist.

Fuck Buttons

>inb4 some moron recs warp records or ""idm""

Listen to warp records and other idm

Check out the label Warp Records. They've got a lot of IDM like Aphex Twin.

Really? FB its more experimental then IDM

Autechre its very similiar,

mu zig, some of venetian snares maybe, listen to the album the everything by jason forrest
youtube.com/watch?v=YY_zO_btsbU

infact mu-zig did a record with aphex called mike and rich which is the shit. Just look at this fucking cover

µ-zig, Mike Dred/Kosmik Kommando, Bochum Welt, Monolith, Jodney Kendrick, Wisp, Bjarki

IDM era Warp obviously, Rephlex Records, WeMe Records, Skam Records

Squarepusher

youtube.com/watch?v=_NUUKY1L9lk

Autechre
AFX
The Tuss
Objekt
Gescom
Polygon Window

youtube.com/watch?v=hnGYJVsZlJo

Replica -> R+7 -> Garden of Delete. Then check out his older stuff.

Good taste. Alberto Balsalm is his best track.

Thats shampoo

someone remind me how opn with his synthpop and new age background is remotely similar to aphex with his rave and acid background again

It's a bath-themed song

How has no one said Boards of Canada yet?

OPN makes IDM-like music with a great sense of counterpoint and polyrhythm, like Aphex. The strong pulse is just implied and teased instead of drummed.

It's true they don't really sound similar, but they both share a hard-to-describe intuitive sense of rhythm that often makes fans of one enjoy the other. I think it's a bit more apparent when you compare Aphex's ambient stuff.

Also, OPN only really uses new age synths and samples (and even then, that was only for a few years in his long career), not compositions. And synthpop only applies to some of his work.

Check out The Tuss

I think it was a project RDJ did but I'm not sure.
Anything Richard does is gold

how can an album be prolific

do you know what that word means

Both are from different schools of thought and it wasn't until GoD came out that they ever converged musically just because of how GoD utilities a lot of the similar emotional tones AT was trying to capture in the 90s which GoD is so openly admitting.
You can also look at OPN's early ambient work and compare it to SAWII which would be a fair comparison given the use of synths on both.

But they don't really cross in the same was as say Authechre and AT does and Lopatin is less of a playful technical mindset and more of an ideas and concepts guy

It's unlikely. I've never heard of anyone looking for more prolific artists either.

How has no one said Rolando Simmons yet?

Igorrr

Bogdan Racynzki and FUCKING SQUAREPUSHER

Mt.Saint michael.

Fuck, i was gonna say Squarepusher

Yeah, Rolando Simmons is fucking great.

youtube.com/watch?v=EM0WbWb2iZs
youtube.com/watch?v=jwp-i3HQvLc

if you're a huge fan of Richard's work RS/Trackermatte is worth a listen, and if you're not convinced Richard actually played his music at Day For Night so dude is literally Aphex-approved™

youtube.com/watch?v=oemlNLt3hCk

no one's said EOD? come on guys

youtube.com/watch?v=mhV1OwqnCZQ

Arovane and Phonem are great if you're into that more mellow but still technical sound

His new album on band camp sounds really good. If you like the earlier, more lighthearted sounding Aphex stuff then yeah, EOD is worth exploring.

I would also rec
Ochre
Rolando Simmons
Zvλd
Autechre
Venetian Snares
Bewwip
MNLTH
pilotredsun
Boards of Canada
Phoenecia
Datasette
Ceephax Acid Crew
Squarepusher
Aleksi Perälä
GAS

He and Sd Laika are underrated as fuck.

Also, I liked them both well before I discovered RDJ also likes them. That was some nice taste affirmation.

pilotredsun has some great music but he's a better cartoonist than musician, IMO.

Yeah, forgot to mention SD Laika. He played some of his shit too at DFN

Black Dog Productions/ The Black Dog - Bytes, Spanners
and then also Plaid - Trainer

if you haven't heard it yet you should
bandcamp.ochremusic.com/album/beyond-the-outer-loop