Tfw the language your grandparents spoke will be extinct in one more generation

>tfw the language your grandparents spoke will be extinct in one more generation

u an injun or something pal

No, Jewish.

Yiddish is dying.

Lampshades don't speak anyways so it's not that big a deal

Then go back and preserve it

Yiddish is not a language, it's not even derived from a German sub-dialect. It branched off from the standard variety of High German.

If you want to blame someone for the extinction of Yiddish then go blame the Zionists because they actively prevented Yiddish from acquiring an official status in Israel.

>Go back

Why would I need to go back to start a Yiddish revival? We can do it here, we just need more participants.

Nearly every linguist will disagree with you on that one, Hans. Also, I'm not placing blame, but you are correct about the first decades of Israel's existence.

Because this isn't there. You want to preserve the ways of the old country? Do it in the old country. This is not a country for people who want the old country.

Learn it God damn it.
I'm an Anglo, so I'm furthest from any sort of special snowflake language as it gets, we own the lingua franca.

Now if I was Welsh or Irish or Cornish I'd be THRILLED to help with the revival.

Not the 'ways' in a larger context, you dolt. I'm not saying we need to build shtetls straight outta the Pale of Settlement, I'm just talking about preserving a language.

I'm trying my dude. I have some German and Modern Hebrew exposure, so it helps.

Preserve it there. Not here.

If the survival of your ethnicity isn't incentive enough, I don't know what is.

I wish I had the justification to learn Low German/Saxon, or Friscian, or some other regional ethnic language that isn't the nationwide standard.

>he can't speak his grandparents language
literally lost the easy mode lmao

Incentive enough for what?

Just speak german with yoursqueaky jewish voice and it'll practically be the same thing.

My mother speak Alsacian, everyone will forget this when she will pass away

Still, there are Breton, Alsacian, Occitan, Provencal,etc classes in universities. I'm sure there are for any language you think is dying out

iktf

Atleast use a meme that wasn't officially disclosed by the U.S. government as propaganda

Classes doesn't mean the languages isn't dying out. It just means it's unlikely that it'll die out entirely in the short or medium term

With your logic Sumerian and ancient Greek did not died out, If a language is not used in every day life as a mean of communication it's dead

isn't yiddish just Jewified German

Yeah, more or less