Genesis - Selling England By The Pound

Why is this album on most prog rock recommendation lists?

Prog rock is probably my favorite genre, and I've heard a decent amount of it, so I was pretty excited to listen to this, but it was very unremarkable. Is it on the "essentials" lists because of historical significance? Or because it's a good bridge between classic rock listeners to get into prog rock? Because based on the merits of the music, it's not that great.

Are you trying to cheat me? It's a great album.

Lamb Lies Down is better

Yeah I am confused. Its a great album. It has lots of Prog influence. IMO, its one of Genesis' strongest albums.

Firth of Filth is a top 5 prog song of all time

Compared to what? I mean, off the top of my head, Yes, Rush, and King Crimson are all better entry level prog rock.

I'm not saying it's bad, but I'm not seeing how it's essential.

Recommendation lists are starting points to guide self-exploration. The album would be there for reasons beyond its musical quality.

Fair enough, I expected as much. Like I said, it wasn't bad, just kind of unremarkable compared to other prog rock I've listened to.

How is it possible that the best potential replacement vocalist for Genesis was within the band from the beginning? Talk about coincidence.

give up judging music user, seriously. You can still enjoy or dislike whatever the fuck you want but don't make threads anymore

Seems like you think your taste is objectively good or something. You've got a lot of growing up to, buddy.

said the pot to the kettle

Fuck you

I'm literally listening to the album right now, and I'm just thinking about how so many bands have done similar things but better. I have no idea what's supposed to be so good about this album.

I was honestly hoping someone to could convince me to like this album, because I had high hopes for it.

ok big boy

I think the strongest song on that Album is "Dancing with the moonlit knight" It has a very good tune and one of my favorite songs.

>I was honestly hoping someone to could convince me to like this album

literally how; if you don't like it it's fine, never understand this meme of "oh I don't get it but it must be good", what the fuck people, did you ever really changed your mind about an album and started to like it because someone "explained" it to you?

Yeah that's probably my favorite song on the album. The Battle of Epping Forest is pretty fun, too.

I'll listen to Lamb Lies Down later to give Genesis another chance.

No one's ever changed my mind, but sometimes I like to hear how other people describe how the music makes them feel, or what they like about it. Sometimes it lets me appreciate the music a little more.

just listen to The Lamb user its better.

Yeah I suggest you do that. Some of the people here are real cockbites