Not enough gabagool.

Who cares? It's just a movie.

Come, meme me a meme.

care to explain

A tremendous actor. He was a joy to work with

>ruin
Denethor was always a cunt

this

I thought he redeemed himself when he got killed by Snape.

Hey reddit

When you think about it, they ruined pretty much everything.
>denethor is a weak fool
>aragorn is a pansy bitch
>legolas is a mary sue
>gimli is le funny dwarf
>gandalf is a douchebag
>faramir got corrupted
>elrond is a cynical liar
>arwen makes no fucking sense
>eowyn is le strong woman
>theoden is also a weak fool
>frodo and sam are straight up cruel at times
>mouth of sauron looks like a cartoon
>barren fucking fields around minas tirith (hey hackson, how the fuck do you FEED people?)
>horses charging straight at pikes and elephants
>archers told to 'firr' even though there are no muskets
And that's just the surface. The movies really are terrible. Even the CGI looks remarkably dated.

No he wasn't. In the book he was very strong, regal, and stoic, and seemed kinglier and wiser than even Gandalf. He was a Shakespearean tragic figure, on par with King Lear. The movies turned him into a bumbling, gluttinous idiot more fit to play a jester.

He was covetous of his position as steward.
He refused to see that he was a temporary guardian of Gondor and that Aragorn was the true King.

He was a cunt.
One with airs, yes, but still a cunt

You're an idiotic simpleton

>gandalf is a douchebag

You mean just like the books?

*raises paw*

Uhhh...what did this poster mean by this?

Yeah but the movie was better. :^)

Except Gandalf was never malicious about it like in the movies. For example, he never would have hit Denethor or literally kill him by pushing him on the pyre.
Shut the fuck up.

>gluttinous

Agree with the rest, but where was he a glutton? Did they even show him eating in the movies? I just remember him sneering and talking alot and cosplaying as the human torch.

He was corrupted by the palantir, corrupted by fear that is. Sauron showed him some true and some false images and when his vision of boramir's death was true he assumed the other visions of minis tirith falling were true and he gave up

Also the stewards of gondor always had a superiority complex. I think the first few Stewards were good but then it became worse and worse

There was that thirty minute eating montage in front of Merry and Pippin or whoever.

Yeah, in the book that's true but the movies shows none of that at all.

Found the abridged version youtube.com/watch?v=MxsA6lMg_dg

Ruined him how? Not showing how he had a palantir?

>doesn't remember Denethor eating scene at all
>looks it up on youtube

Huh. I remember that scene with Faramir getting his ass kicked and Pippin singing over it, but for the life of me I did not remember it intercut with Denethor eating like a weirdo.

>In the book he was very strong, regal, and stoic, and seemed kinglier and wiser than even Gandalf.

The hell he was. He as much or maybe even a bigger fool in the book as he was in the movie.

See
This is how I know you've never read it.

>See
I've read LoTR 8 times. I did not get that impression from Denethor. Kinglier and wiser than even Gandalf? What the fuck?

This is just flat out wrong.

Gandalf mentions it. They mention some stuff from the Silmarillion too if you listen.

It's a literal fucking quote you mongoloid retard.
>Denethor looked indeed much more like a great wizard than Gandalf did, more kingly, beautiful, and powerful; and older. Yet by a sense other than sight Pippin perceived that Gandalf had the greater power and the deeper wisdom, and a majesty that was veiled. And he was older, far older. ‘How much older?’ he wondered, and then he thought how odd it was that he had never thought about it before. Treebeard had said something about wizards, but even then he had not thought of Gandalf as one of them. What was Gandalf? In what far time and place did he come into the world, and when would he leave it? And then his musings broke off, and he saw that Denethor and Gandalf still looked each other in the eye, as if reading the other’s mind. But it was Denethor who first withdrew his gaze.

Prove it.

>Pippin's POV
Well that explains that. Why would you use that as some kind of objective standard?

Gandalf mentions nothing of the sort.

Because the book treats it as such you fucking idiot.

>it's a bookfags episode

Please slime back into your cesspool you psuedo intellectual shitstains.

You got that Denethor wasn't a paranoid fool from one sentence before Pippin forgets the guy and starts thinking about Gandalf.

>the book treats it as such
No it doesn't. You posted a big stretch of text and didn't even bother reading it then?
>Denethor looked indeed much more like a great wizard than Gandalf did, more kingly, beautiful, and powerful; and older.
This is the part that agrees with you.
>Yet by a sense other than sight Pippin perceived that Gandalf had the greater power and the deeper wisdom, and a majesty that was veiled. And he was older, far older
This is the next sentence, which refutes it.

Denethor has always been a weak fool envious of Aragorn being heir to the throne. And in the book it describes Aragorn as always usually being somber and melancholy with unexpected shows of joy, just like in the movies. Hes a whiny pansy as they describe who sometimes smiles and throws a little snide comment. Legolas is Mary Sue, sure. Still a bamf though. Ahnd what you said about Elrond being a liar, have you even read the Silmarillion? Elves have done some awful, sometimes evil shit. Galadriel even lied (or never told the whole truth) in the book about the kin slaying and shit. Eoyen is le strong women in both pieces, so what? The CGI in the movies is also great, I think you're talking about the Hobbit.

>66
>nice
not that user but I don't think that refutes it. Just that upon closer inspection, he isn't as impressive as he first seemed when compared to Gandalf.

They mention the days of old and mentions Morgoth every time the Balrog comes up.

ayy lmao

The point is that the guy is saying that Denethor's regal demeanor is some objective description given by the narration, when it's Pippin's own perception, which doesn't hold up to scrutiny.
In the books Legolas covered his ears when Gandalf used the name Morgoth.

He also mentions how when Gondor falls into ruin and the line of kings falling over time the throne was handed over to lesser men

>Denethor looked indeed much more like a great wizard than Gandalf did, more kingly, beautiful, and powerful; and older. Yet by a sense other than sight Pippin perceived that Gandalf had the greater power and the deeper wisdom, and a majesty that was veiled.

AND YET BY A SENSE GREATER THAN SIGHT YOU FUCKING IIIIIIIIDIOT

he appears to be kinglier and wiser than gandalf, hOWEVER HES NOT

You know the books were meant to be perceived as anecdote from the Hobbits personally, right? As if they were writing the books them selves?

To be fair, his actions toward Denethor in the movie make more sense toward the movie version of his character. It reflects those differences more than Gandalf's differences.

I've been on Sup Forums since '08 and this was the most fun I have ever had here.

Which they were, The Hobbit written by Bilbo, the LoTR written mostly by Frodo and finished by Sam. I've read it, yes. And this does absolutely nothing to refute my point.

Are you claiming that it matters they didnt show him something as dumb and non-nonsensical to the story as covering his ears? Also, the only reason they even call him Morgoth is because that's the name they gave him because calling him Melkor is whats really bad.

>Always two steps ahead any mortal.
>Constantly catching people up to his understanding of things.
>Constantly getting short with people because he's used to explaining things to people millennia old.
>Douchebag

YOU obviously didn't read my post because if you did you would have known I said that Denethor -seemed- wiser than Gandalf in the book, which he did. Gandalf was actually wiser, but didn't -seem- so. That contrast is what makes him a good, interesting character. The movies don't even make Denethor -seem- wiser than a fucking mouse, he's portrayed as a bumbling retard, much like yourself.
You're a plebeian, the scourge of society, the lowest common denominator that has stripped the soul out of culture.
1. Aragorn always accepted his place as King of Gondor, he never tried to hide or avoid it as in the movies. That is what I referred to.
2. Elrond would never abandon Middle-Earth as a he tried to do, or willfully decieve Arwen as he also tried to do.
And that proves what exactly? Where in any of those conversations does Gandalf mention Denethor with a palantir?
Oh yeah, it was all Pippin's opinion huh? Guess the Nazgul weren't really scary either, that was just the opinion of whoever was narrating at that time.
You fucking idiot.

>Are you claiming
Dude, calm your tits. I just brought it up as a novelty, I'm not whoever you were talking to.
>Also, the only reason they even call him Morgoth
Yes, well done user, Well done. However, I already knew this.

denethor was a weak fool and because he didn't kiss gandalfs ass gandalf let him burn himself to death.

Had he been given the chance to be redeemed he would have taken it. He was a better and more pure Man than Theoden. The only difference was he wasn't allowed to be rid of his own personal wormtongue.

Fuck gandalf,

>Oh yeah, it was all Pippin's opinion huh? Guess the Nazgul weren't really scary either, that was just the opinion of whoever was narrating at that time
The funny thing about opinions is that they can be both right and wrong.

Even if Pippin WAS the only person in the world who thought Denethor looked wiser than Gandalf, they still should have portayed that in the movie BECAUSE THAT SCENE IS STILL FROM PIPPIN'S POINT OF VIEW YOU FUCKING IDIOT

What did he need a Wormtongue for when he was directly talking to Sauron?

>hey it's cool that you men are going to try and save the world and all but us elves and those ground niggers are just going to mind our own business lol even though with our help you would have probably won a lot sooner LMAO

this is why men are the best race. We actually have honor and would band together to save the world. I mean the fucking rangers even stopped ranging and helped. And they love ranging.

He also got Narsil way sooner. If you ever try to follow a book into a movie completely, it just won't turn out good. You are watching a movie after all, and it's hands down the best representation that can be made. Some people may even get Butt hurt about Bombadil even though he didn't drive the story forward at all. Some things just need to be left out because they really don't matter.

As an adaptation it works. It is better to have varied characters when they're not going to have a bigger arc. Not everyone needs to be wise and great, I think it's OK to take some shortcuts, makes for a more engaging narrative.
But again it is an adaptation, a different take on the material and while there are things I don't like about it, on the whole it works pretty well.

>all this emotion
Please calm down. You can't make characters appear drastically different in a movie based on whose "viewpoint" we see them through.
I mean sure we can, if it's something like Rashomon, but the LoTR trilogy was not Rashomon. The movie came out so long ago your butthurt over this should just stop already.

To keep the niggas in line at Rohan.

Oh look it's an idiot that can't pick up on subtext. Seriously fuck off and don't respond again. No wonder this movie made for children confused you.

That was a hypothetical based on if Pippin was the only one who thought Denethor looked wiser than Gandalf, which he obviously wasn't and if you seriously believe he was you are even dumber than I thought.
>get completely BTFO and exposed as a retard
>wow bro, calm down, heh heh xD
The last resort of the defeated.

What kind of relation does that even have to my post?

Best adaption for a book ever made other than The Road. Because that was a shitty book.

>psuedo intellectual
What the HELL does this mean?

I hope this is a well played troll and not the biggest retard on /tv

You haven't defeated anyone and you are still the only one acting emotional. You should stop that, since this isn't anywhere near as serious as your behavior would imply it was.
Back on topic though. Pippin, a Hobbit from the Shire, thought Denethor looked more impressive than Gandalf, the guy who was always hiding his abilities and knowledge behind a charade of being a jolly old wandering conjurer. That's a fact. Pippin knew this was only how he appeared. That's also a fact. We can agree on those, right? I know you agree on the first.

>tfw I remember making those two denethor posts hoping someone would get a thing going with me
>they did

To this day, that's probably been one of my favorite threads on Sup Forums. I was especially proud when someone posted that in the chat of a Return of the King stream.

they didn't, he was a shitty person and deserved a worse death than he had

This. Except in the book he didn't run around on fire and shit, but it was still cool because he was a dick who should have been set on fire.

>you worked with him
make me believe it

Why would you lie? I was the one that made those posts.

For real.

>the blue wizards
What were their names again?

You're the only retard here.
That has literally, literally nothing at all to do with anything that I said. The whole point - pay attention now - was that they ruined Denethor's character by making him an insanse idiot that made foolish decisions and actively hindered the defense of his kingdom, which is the complete opposite of how he was in the book. Is that simple enough for you? Do you understand? Fuck what Pippin thinks, fuck Gandalf, that's the whole point.

lul Gandolf bout to shiv a nigga

Don't make me copyright my memes.

Allatar and Pallando.

Razzle and Dazzle

>Fuck what Pippin thinks, fuck Gandalf, that's the whole point.
So all that stuff you recited from the book was completely pointless and your entire issue here was that the movie didn't show that he'd been mindfucked by Sauron through the palantir?

sinine and azul

>wow i posted a funny picture, gib upboats plz!!!
People like you cause the downfall of societies.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S REAL ANYMORE

Those blue wizards look like jews, holding a satchel of money and an accounting pad.

many keks

U mad?

How does Denethor looking the part of king have anything to do with him being competent? He was just as much of a failure in that regard in the books. They made him a worse father to Faramir, and that's about it.

Meme Bob and Meme Snob

I legitimately dropped my phone on pavement while laughing at this

This. Who gives a fuck about the palantir in the movies, you don't need to know all that shit to get the point across you can use other methods to drive the story forward, which they did. He was an ass hole in both books with or without the palantir anyway.

Someone screencap this, memes are the cause of the downfall of societ, not the jews, not the muslims, not the globalists but the memers, who knew we were the zombie all along.

And they set him on fire, but its okay, because he should have been set on fire.

>He was an ass hole in both books with or without the palantir

haha idiot

You are so fucking stupid... I try to make it as simple as possible, but even then you fail to understand. Let me break it down even further for your feeble mind.

>book: denethor is incredibly stoic, and carefully times a cavalry charge that saves faramir's life and drives off the orcs for a time
>movie: denethor sits in his tower chomping on tomatoes and chicken

>book: denethor believes the battle is hopeless but will still do everything in his power to fight sauron
>movie: denethor yells 'flee for your lives!'

>book: denethor gazed into the palantir and although sauron could not corrupt or decieve him, he showed him biased visions. This made him depressed and deapairing
>movie: denethor is le kuhrazy xD

>book: the blood of westernesse runs nearly true in denethor, and he is a noble leader with a strong will and regal bearing (oh wait no that's all just gandalf's opinion xD)
>movies: denethor essentially drools all over himself and stumbles on his fucking robe

Even still you probably won't get it at all and will resort to more le funny maymays.

> the blood of westernesse runs nearly true in denethor
This made literally zero sense. It "runs through Faramir", but then it doesn't through Boromir. How do genetics work in Middle-Earth?

underrated