You have no idea what kind of people you trust with your life

You have no idea what kind of people you trust with your life.
I'm a professional firefighter with a substance abuse problem and a stack of stories that would make you think twice about calling 911, AMA

Other urls found in this thread:

surl.im/L7MK
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Every abuses something, whats your drug of choiiiiiiiicccceeeeeee

My firefighter buddy responded to a call recently where a guy literally broke his foot off. He fell off a step and broke off his foot. One step. Still in the shoe and everything.

I'd be surprised if you DIDN'T have substance abuse problems.

Personally, I don't care if you're high as a motherfucker, so long as you pull my ass out of the building. Eating smoke for a living is a tough gig, its understandable to some extent.

I don't have a question, but thanks for doing a tough, shitty, albiet very necessary job.

I dont go broke, and I do it a lot

I drink a lot of liquor, prescription pills, and when I'm off I smoke a little weed. Basically whatever I get my hands on.

Sounds normal. Who said you have a substance abuse problem?

Also lets hear the worst call

You know what man, that actually means a lot. I don't like playing the poor me card, but I honestly appreciate the grattitude.

thx 4 ur cervix

I agree with what said tbqh. Everyone has vices, you're willingly putting yourself in harms way (reason doesn't really matter) to help others. It's hard to fault someone like that, even if they take some pills.

Well thats easy, had a two y/o girl get hit in the head by a 8" steel pulley. Somehow it got thrown through a windshield, made it's way between the front seats and hit her between her eyes. It was the first time I felt a child's pulse dispear.

huh...somehow I don't care that you have a substance abuse problem anymore. I don't know how you couldn't after something like that.

Speaking of, do they even offer psychological therapy as a job benefit?

Jesus dude...

You talk to anybody about it? I was worried it might effect a future job opportunity but Im glad I went to someone.

said i do it allllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooootttttaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Nice. Same guy, same buddy had a kid get wrecked in a car accident. Parents survived. You think you feel bad...

I'm an EMT and this guy is a faggot

I've seen and dealt with so many people dying/dead people and I don't have a substance abuse problem because I'm not a pussy.

Your worst call?

why do u think your jobs so hard, you get paid better than me, inhale alot worse shit than you and 10 times as many different things, play with more fucked chemicals and broke my back doing this job, all for less than what you make.

shut the fuck up.

My dad got ptsd from firefighting. Lots of emergency responders self medicate for ptsd, depression, anxiety. Pot isn't bad, but don't blow your liver out with drugs + booze. Get some prof help user, you deserve it for contributing to the wellbeing of society

Some departments do, mine does not. I'm not normally one to talk about things, but once I get into the bottle it all comes rushing to my mind.

>first time
user I'm glad I'm not you. Godspeed.

Im this guyFirst time I went to the VA to ask for a shrink i went in absolutely shitfaced, was totally honest with her about why I was drunk. It felt good.

Lol, how much do you make faggot? I make 32k a year

32k for what? Before taxes?

ok OP. I'll bite.

Whatcha got for us to tell about?

Before taxes dude

holy shit man. that's almost below the poverty line. I hope to god you're single, there's no way you can support a family on that income. Ever thought about going back to school and learning a trade?

Sup brotha. SoCal firefighter/paramedic fag checking in.
How's your night going?

I make 24k a year before taxes digging poop out of an old man's butthole. All you faggots can stop bitching.

Well, for about two months I drank vodka at work regularly. On several ocassions my entire shift got fucked up, including the driver.

Find any gold in there? kek

Jokes aside, that is a pretty shitty job to have (no pun intended).

Does it actually affect you that much, or is it something you conform to because you're "expected" to feel bad about it?

I've never experienced anything like that, but I feel like if it was someone I don't have any ties to, I wouldn't really think twice about it.

that's your own fucking fault dude. Get out there and start looking for other employment. I'm sure you can find something better. Use the resources that the government provides if necessary. There's no reason you have to be stuck in that shitty (heh) situation

You earned it. Just don't go killing yourself over your job brother.

I'll take any amount of shit for the opportunity I have been offered. Some things are more important than money, user.

>Use the resources that the government provides if necessary
Funny you say that, seeing as it's the VA paying my checks.

No questions but I wanna say thanks.

>mad you make shitty career choices

This.

Plus OP, you risked your own life to save someone elses sorry ass from being turned into a BBQ'd smoked pork roast anyway, have a drink to live to tell the tale.

Sounds to me like your whole department has some pretty major morale and budgetary issues.

Law here. I have strong respect for fire/medical personnel. You have to deal with horrible things happening to good people regularly. For us it's usually assholes committing crimes against other assholes.

On a lighter side note, do you guys realize how atrocious most of your radio traffic is?

How long have you been a character from a FX series?

Don't you get drug tested?

At my last job at a grocery store we got randomly drug tested.

We get "randomly tested" as well. The chief let's us know 15 minutes prior.

what this nigger said.

do what you must Fireanon, you have my thanks. godspeed to you

This. I also give my thanks for risking yourself to save others.

As a fellow fire fag can confirm the job is brutal on the mind. My worst case is that i saw an infant wrektd in a car acident. She was almost cut in half because she wasnt wearing a seat belt. SHit fucked me up for the most part seeing in in person but honestly now it's come to a point where my 2 firefag friends kinda joke about it. it's coo i suppose but im am fucked personally now.

Which one of you took the mouth?

15 minutes isn't enough time to cleanse your urine.

Aren't you going to test positive eventually for alcohol?

Unless you have some sort of way you cheat the test like synthetic urine.

fuck

no question here, but I have a story about a firefighter. he was the first on scene, save for my mom who did it, when my youngest daughter drowned in my moms pool. he did cpr, rode with her in the ambulance, and stuck around to talk to me while i watched 13 people try and work on her little curled up shrimp body. he told it to me straight, gave me all the info with a bit of hope, and then left and cried like gell to his wife, because his kids were the same age as mine and seeing a 16 month old like his drowned really hurt him too. i never forgot that he stuck around, and saw him when the city gave him an award. i met his wife and kids, and she told my wife just how much it hurt him too. I give that dude a hug anytime i see him, and I really appreciate what he did.

If you cant emulate him, its time to quit.

don't you wanna be without sex in 2017? a lot of sexy girls of your city - surl.im/L7MK

I watched this one get hit with shrapnel from my turret

Actually I'd describe my situation as the opposite. I feel shitty about my lack of concern for human life. I make jokes around my normal friends and the reactions I get let me know I'm fucked up.

I'm a big guy 6'3-6'4, 300 pounds I work out but a fatass still when I eventually get to 250 I wanna volunteer as a firefighter since I have a dui and can never become one. Any advice or tips on what I should focus on working out wise and how to get into it ?

Props, mate. I work police fire& emd at a 911 center. Job's much easier to handle when I've had a joint before going in. I've fought fire and worked emt. I'm much happier not seeing shit and have total respect for u doing it, but hearing it still fucks with me.

Clean piss from a friend. We only give urine samples, so no chance for liqour.

i don't believe it's fucked up as opposed to them simply not understanding the experiences you've gone through. others would. seen the same with vets that've seen real nasty shit in their service. they'll have and crack jokes about terrible things. what it all comes down to is stress relief as the other alternative is to lose your shit over it

Bro, get a better job. I do overnight security, make 25k a year and only work maybe 1.5-2 hours out of my 8 hour shift. No qualifications needed except a 20 minute seminar thing on how you shouldn't act like a cop, that's given for free by the company I work for anyway. You have better options than you realize. Unless you just enjoy digging shit out of asses that much.

I show up late almost every day. I CAN show up late for work almost every day.

Silver linings.

That's always a brutal thing to see.

That's always been a running joke at the station. Rescue me is surprisingly an accurate representation of the fire service.

Doesn't matter how much silver lines the turd that's your job, it's still a turd. But someone's gotta do it I guess, so thanks for taking one for the team.

I could show up late everyday to my last job (office inside sales stuff, typical 8-4 job) and I was making 45k a year before taxes. I left it to do something else a little more stressful but with better pay, but those kinds of jobs are out there.

When you clear an area and a freak of nature ied hits

My department gets about 25 fires a year, and I haven't heard of someone actually getting a save in the last 20 years. We really run 85% medicals. Most serious ones die.

That was someone's leg, wasn't it...
grim reality right here folks, embrace it.

Was that a hand? I can't really get a good enough look to tell.

Hey bud, nothing but respect for your profession. As long as you aren't seriously impaired while doing something worthwhile, you do you.

Shit sucks man. I've only ran a few calls with people I know, I haven't lost a brother

As much as I hate myself for it, I've never been to the point that i felt i couldn't handle my own

That was his leg, and this is the rest of him

I know a former iraq vet as a friend who goes to school with me (machining course) who received an RPG to his ride. He smashed his face so hard against the dashboard from the impact, that he was dragged out of the vehicle, helicopter rushed to the nearest med station to have his face reconstructed/repaired by expert surgeons. part of his jaw is artificial, lots of other shit was repaired/replaced. As a result, he looks better now, but suffers from occasional dizziness from doing normal things.

Not bad big dog, how long have you been at it? Five years here.

... Damn... truly brutal shit.

Im kind of glad i missed the whole iraq bit.

I am also firefighter, I have my own issues.

We all do bud. We are not alone

Well... I guess on the plus side, he lost a lot of weight. IED's could be the next diet fad.

I appreciate firefighters, the real heroes of the streets, I donate to them whenever I can

Just stopped in to say thanks fireanons (cuz chances are there are more than 1 in here). After the shit you go through, nobody can blame you for how you cope. Thank you.

Mfw this thread has some serious feels.

It must be so hard to save cats from trees while stoned.

A firefighter saved my ass when I ran into my burning house to save my cat when I heard him making terrified caterwauls. I got trapped and climbed out on the roof, with my cat. Scooped me off of the roof, weren't dicks about my being stupid and running in after my cat.

I should probably rewatch Rescue Me, now that one user made a reference to that show

>it was the first time I felt a child's pulse disappear
>felt a child's pulse disappear
>first time

It doesn't get easier, the first time is just a lot more vivd

If people didn't do stupid shit I would not have a job.

What does burning human flesh smell like? yummy?

Well boys, I've gotta go. Thanks for the distraction, I'll leave you with this gem. Keep your dick in a vice

Pork, according to most people who have smelled burning human flesh.

No accurate description I can think of. Burnt meat, but somehow a hint of humanity. Once you catch it, you can't forget it.

You smell the hair more than anything, and ammonia

Keep chooching, friend.

True. Touche, fire user. ;) And if you are one of those firefighters who is not a dick to people for being stupid, thanks. To me defense, I would not have been able to live with myself if my cat died in that fire.