How can you like advanced forms of music if you don't understand music theory?

How can you like advanced forms of music if you don't understand music theory?

protip> you cant

(this is why i dont understand critics...they arent musicians and don't know what to listen for)

I barley understand music theory but i know a good progression when i hear one

I think i know what OP is getting at

But i guess its the same thing as working with car repairs or only driving them

I always liked music, but it wasn't until i started to play the piano a whole new dimension of musical satisfaction opened up

i began to "feel" the instrument and it took the pleasure to whole new levels

as for critics... well... they might be the business side to it, they know what will be the next big thing i guess, as for the overall performance i guess they are the ones to ask for advice.

But i am pretty certain i can enjoy piano music to an extent that is impossible for a normal person, but then again there might be people talented with many kinds of instruments, i wonder how they experience music, it does make one a little jealous.

No you really don't.

Some people have a natural, innate ability to understand music without proper learning of theory. But, in general, I agree. I am a perfect example. I will never advance past rock chord progressions and basic major and minor scales. I played guitar for a while, but got board with it because I didn't have the desire to deepen my knowledge.

Stay mad, pleb

"There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law." -Claude Debussy

I wonder what school Mozart attended to learn music theory?

>how
by listening to it
>you have to enjoy art the way i want you to
no i dont. pretentious fuck.

that's like saying you need to know how to make video games in order to enjoy a video game

>How can you like advanced forms of music if you don't understand music theory?

I've always wondered this. What do these plebs even hear if they don't really understand what it is they are hearing - clicks and clacks? Random tones? What does a chord sound like to someone who can't even define what a chord is?

How can you enjoy a computer if you don't have an engineering degree?

Wow an out of context quote with 0 scientific evidence.

Look, Debussy knew traditional theory "rules" which made it easy for him to know HOW to break them. By no means are the rules permanent, but classical melodic voice leading (7ths in chords always resolve downwards, leading tone resolution, and the tonic/dominant relationship, even the Roman Numeral Chord Flowchart) is all backed by the scientific resolution of soundwaves, based on smooth progression of measurable dissonance in the soundwaves (heard as tension and release).

The reason you hear the same progressions and melodies all the time (which you wouldnt realize until you learn theory) is because its mathematically proven and designed to be pleasing to the ear based on measurable dissonance.

You can use the computer, but without a deeper understanding, you can't appreciate the depths of what is going on in that magic box.

But you can still have an appreciation of the magic box's surface value.

This. People like to point to the people with natural musical ability or who play by ear, but they are still following the same conventions as someone with a deep understanding of theory. . . they just took a different path getting there.

He learned by watching his father teach his sister keyboard.

thus, trap music

/thread

You can, but can you really appreciate a well written piece of code like someone with a CS degree? Doubtful because you don't understand it like they do.

Misic theory is to music as programming is to computers. You know when it works well, unless you're so retarded you need a theory degree to justify your opinions. Dumb fuck

I think we're getting off the point here, OP said that you can't critique music unless you understand it. You can still appreciate it and dislike whatever, ya know?

Wrong. In face whole new genres have formed because people lacked technical skills and just made what they felt sounded good, OP. Care to talk about at all?

Hard Kek

good luck responding to this, OP

>OP said that you can't critique music unless you understand it
But that's not what he said. He said "How can you like advanced forms of music if you don't understand music theory?"

Why are you moving the goalposts for him?

Music theory doesn't make any new music.

Wrong. That's like saying all artists must be geometry experts in order to appreciate art.

However... most music sucks because the musicians suck and don't practice and get away with making money off finger painting.

From what I am reading, the question comes down to the difference of enjoying vs. appreciating something.

ur all faggits just listen faggits overthinking shit

as someone whos crafted posts since 2006 i can objectively state that OP is a faggot and his post is shit.

shut up u must be some 2k17 random newfag.

heheheee somebody's mad!

I'll be listening to some music and go, "Ooh, I like that bit," or some part will give me the shivers and my brain releases some feel-good chemicals, but I will never be able to pinpoint WHY.
I purposely avoided music appreciation because I would never be able to just hear music without analyzing the shit out of it.

Like, if I heard something and automatically thought, "That's a 7/15 time signature in B scale with minor key tonality," it would take me completely out of the experience.

In the same way, I have a hard time enjoying novels and movies because really obvious tropes pull me out of the story as I pretty much have the tvtropes site in my head and can't turn that off.

That's not how it works lol. Think about it. Knowing the names of colors and shapes doesn't hinder your appreciation for art. You actually don't need to know the names of anything in order to understand how it works, just the relationships. Don't be ignorant.

As someone who's heavily into music, and who has played the piano and guitar for 12 years with no lessons, I am wondering what you would qualify as music theory. Like I've never been formally trained in music but I can accurately describe it, know most musical terms and how to use them, can identify notes by ear, etc. Also heavily into producing, and that alone has influenced me, because now I listen to composition more, and knowing the technical side of music production can make you appreciate an element of a track on a whole new level.