I just got into Swans, and I'm wondering how it's possible for a band which was formed such a long time ago to STILL...

I just got into Swans, and I'm wondering how it's possible for a band which was formed such a long time ago to STILL, well in 2014, release such a solid and original TASTEFUL album that doesn't feel like "well this band was amazing 30 years ago, I guess it's cool they still make music - better than nothing"

How?

because gira's actually a genius and a very thoughtful, inspired person. That should be clear by looking at their career, their sound was constantly evolving, and at no time were they ever definable by a single genre or movement, nor did they have any obvious influences. I think they're one of the best bands that's graced this earth.

/thread

Swans are shit.

I've been meaning to get into Swans for awhile, any album I should start with?

Wouldn't be a true Swans thread without one of these

Start from their beginning and on to get their full effect, do NOT start with Soundtracks

Being a rapist helps.

Try their 2010 album, My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky. It's generally considered one of their lesser works, but it's only 40 minutes long so it's easily to digest in one sitting. Unless, of course, you're already a fan of the no-wave/industrial sound that's characteristic of early swans, then just do what the guy before me said.

This is what everyone says but is not necessarily true. If you're a post rocky guy / GYBE fan you will love Soundtracks and hate Filth. I dove right into SFTB and really enjoyed it but I still can't get into the whole 80s no wave thing.

This soo much

If u cant into swans i feel sorry for you

I'm getting this weird sense of irony from you two, and i don't like it

>irony

Hmmmmm

SOUNDTRACKS
FOR THE
FUCKING
BLIND

Now it's even worse make it stop please

Oh my god of course this silly thing exists for swans.

>at no time were they ever definable by a single genre or movement
This might make you hate me, but the only other two artists I can think of that have had such long and successful careers with such a wide range of sound is Anton Newcombe and Beck.

But I tell you if you follow the secret window
And you die to the ego nature
You will penetrate this darkness
Oh yes there's many a man or woman
That's been put in the insane asylum
When this has happened to them
And they're sitting there today, people think they're insane
But they saw something that's real
And they see it when they're on drugs
The only thing is they see it
Not through the light of Gira, and the way I show you II show you to see it through the light of Gira And the understanding of God
Because when you see the face of God, you will die
And there will be nothing left of you
Except the Swans-guy, the Jarboe-woman
The glowing man, the heavenly woman
The helpless child There'll be post rock in your head day and night
There'll be a song of jubilee a clappin in your ear
There will be nothing you will not be be looking for in this world
Except in Swans
This is all a dream
A dream in Swans

Don't know if you're still in the thread, but here's a more extensive chart.

it's not possible.

swans is shit desu.

I think it's due to a couple of things. For one, Gira has always had a "never look back" approach to music, often composing new material while on the road with the band, and when he feels the songs are fully formed, they record it, release it and then promptly move on. There's a desire to always seize new territory, which speaks of a strong, innate need to create. Their tastes are also very wide and varied, so they can take ideas from a great range of sources and can be creatively inspired by almost whatever (I think broad taste is a pretty important trait for most creators). Furthermore Gira is just an intense personality which breathes vitality into the music. This is the reason why most old bands get boring as time goes on - they lose that kind of force as their minds and bodies wither - but for whatever reason Gira still has that intensity to him, it just takes on a different form from the more overtly aggressive displays earlier in their career. I was similarly surprised the first time I heard Swans, which was when The Seer dropped, and then learned this was a band pushing into their 60s.

shame theyre a shit band
shouldve quit back in the 80's. gira could have got shot in 92 and the band would be better off

Same. At first I thought Swans was just another new buzzband overhyped by Pitchfork and Sup Forums.

You're a terrible person for saying that

Start with their revival from "My father..." and onwards. THEN track back to their earlier stuff

>Copied Glenn Branca
>Then copied joy division
>Then copied GY!BE

Wow best band of all time!

>Early Swans had a very distinct sound from Glenn Branca
>GY!BE didn't release their first album until after SFTB
rly maeks u think

How the FUCK does one get into post-rock?

I liked the part where Gira screams frantically.