/classical/: Purging Previous Prejudices edition

Anyone have recommendations for the order in which one should watch Richard Wagner's operas?

Flowcharts, essentials, etc.

Also Opera General. What are your favorite operas, favorite opera composers, favorite performances..?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw
youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I
youtube.com/watch?v=-HujjNQPv2U
youtube.com/watch?v=6_RIE9vKBeg
youtube.com/watch?v=-879_b1sdTE
youtube.com/watch?v=_dG-NUaq2o4
youtube.com/watch?v=NFH0wLG77m4
youtube.com/watch?v=cd-Kyk0d3fE
youtube.com/watch?v=KwtAMGXyTI4
youtube.com/watch?v=oJIXobO94Jo
youtube.com/watch?v=lbTBrdB-1KM
youtube.com/watch?v=XJq3jItducg
youtube.com/watch?v=s3BRFYc9LOw
youtube.com/watch?v=r-XGAWjwj-c
youtube.com/watch?v=k8MzNWO57f4
youtube.com/watch?v=ky5N-qc8nXI
youtube.com/watch?v=IMJPb9qOC_E
youtube.com/watch?v=PV7Sj3RRTlw
youtu.be/7Ui598mTAAs
youtube.com/watch?v=u8B3Xgl9A9U
youtube.com/watch?v=TGohwCKgG8A
youtube.com/watch?v=ZUtEUrOB_J4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just listen to Der Ring, in one sitting preferably

But that's silly user, it's one of the last things he wrote and the ring festivals would take multiple days to perform

>no pasta
Fucking retard.

I like italians

Monteverdi is bretty good

Italian music died with Boccherini

Make a new thread with the links

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request*.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

(*) -- this is a lie. None of us has the chart anymore.

Monteverdi is before Boccherini faggot

Sorry last time I went on /classical/ this rule didnt exist

>please recommend me something similar to Ludovico Einaudi's stuff?
>he's listening to minimalist dross
oh wait
>Something I could listen to while working?
>he plays music as white noise in the background

KILL YOURSELF PHILISTINE!

first let me start by saying I am a metal head of note; i love Irom maiden, megadeth and such. so on that note this symphony is so beautiful and epic that it struck the same cord within me as my metal music. the planet symp. translated what is so huge and unattainable as the planets in our solar system into a real and fitting peice of music. the different what i call song in the symp. follow along closely to greek Mythology. the peice titled "mars" follows along a strong epic and powerful mood; a war-like feeling (Mars being the ancient greek god of war). and the peice "venus" follows a calming, smooth, peaceful mood (venus being the goddess of peace and beauty). this sypm. is turn of the 19\20 century but one can hear its infulence (personally) in many modern symphonies. for example; great movie score composer Hans Zimmer used very and uncanny composition similar to the "planet Symphony" in the music to the movie "Gladiator", particulary in the peice titled "the Battle" which closly, in-part, does resemble "Mars: the God of war" in the planet symp. I am not accusing Hans Zimmer of Plagiarism, i Applaud him. for is that not what music is about; raising the creative bar for oneself and all others. if you buy only one classical CD but this one... you will not be dissapointed; I wasn't. so on conclusion i find Gustav Holtz Planet Symphony to be a special and beautiful experience...so buy it. i would also like to recomend to you to buy the "Gladiator" soundtrack and see the 2 together for yourself. thank you

& John Williams clearly knocked of Holst for 'Star Wars'
youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I

> I am not accusing Hans Zimmer of Plagiarism
you should, he's a hack.
>film score composers
pic related

Please be trolling.

Way to fuck up the OP with your personal requests faggot. But anyway, if you want to listen to Wagner's operas in a studious way, just go for publication order, as with anything. If instead you're looking to skip the filler, the crème de la crème is made up of, for the early era
>Der fliegende Holländer
>Lohengrin
and every single one (no exceptions) of his 'mature' (starting from the 1850s) works, from Das Rheingold through Parsifal.

Depending on what in these works appeals to you, you might also enjoy Rienzi and Tannhäuser und der Sängerkrieg auf dem Wartburg.
Anyone looking for a general introduction to Wagner's music is best advised to start with something like Siegfried Idyll, the overtures of his early operas (the 'mature' works are a lot more focused on he drama, so they're not as front-stacked) and the symphonic suite from Der Ring des Nibelungen, e.g. youtube.com/watch?v=-HujjNQPv2U

In terms of performances, the big 3 to look for are Solti (unmatched for Der Ring), Knappertsbusch and Furtwängler.

Where do I start /classical/

Have an underrated pearl -- Rameau, Les fêtes d'Hébé (opéra-ballet): youtube.com/watch?v=6_RIE9vKBeg
This thing is stacked with infectious, energetic melodies that you can (and should) dance to. Put some tights on and let it blast through the room. Bonus points if you do it in front of a mirror.

That depends. Where are you now? What sort of music do you usually listen to?

It's pretty obvious that that is a youtube comment dredged up from somewhere

>Solti
>unmatched
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Also Rienzi is very boring

>Rienzi is very boring
It's Wagner's worst opera, honestly. 'Tis why I put it in the filler basket. The overture is its best part.

I listen to ambient/ experimental electronic music and just slower music in general but I want to properly explore classical.

And Chopin's Funebre
but JW has been pretty clear about all of that and The Imperial March really is it's own piece, especially harmonically.

Maybe you should start with Richard Strauss (Eine Alpensinfonie), Gustav Mahler (1st, 2nd and 9th symphonies), or Anton Bruckner (7th, 8th and 9th symphonies) then. A big draw-in with them is that they create enormous soundscapes that are very satisfying to immerse yourself into (the musical development is slow and deliberate, spacious, and the orchestral textures are very rich).

This is a very good recording of the Alpensinfonie: youtube.com/watch?v=-879_b1sdTE
For Bruckner I recommend recordings of Celibidache's live performances.
For Mahler I recommend Pretre, Abbado and Giulini.

Stop listening to Wagner.

youtube.com/watch?v=_dG-NUaq2o4

Lucia di Lammermoor

youtube.com/watch?v=NFH0wLG77m4

Is this a new copypasta?

Or just autism

10/10 post either way

O fortuna

Thanks kngr

Start with some ambient / experimental electronic classical then

youtube.com/watch?v=cd-Kyk0d3fE
youtube.com/watch?v=KwtAMGXyTI4

youtube.com/watch?v=oJIXobO94Jo

>Monteverdi is before Boccherini faggot
No shit fucking retard.
>doesn't know it's common sense to include the pasta or links in the OP
Fucking neck yourself, newshit

Carl Nielsen's Symphony no. 5: youtube.com/watch?v=lbTBrdB-1KM

One would assume that an ambientfag who's into experimental shit is already familiar with the pioneers of the style.
While we're at it though, why not post some Schaeffer as well?

youtube.com/watch?v=XJq3jItducg

Are there any other notable composers who took great inspiration from local folk music than Bartok, Tveitt and Grieg?

>tfw there is literally NO good american composer

What's the problem with that dystopic wasteland? How can a nation of 300milion people be so void of art?

Smetana
Stravinsky

Enescu and Rimsky-Korsakov.

Both Knut Hamsun and Jean Baudrillard have written books about this. Jung also wrote some articles on it, but I think he missed the mark a bit (claiming it was negroization) when I believe it has more to do with a pseudomorphosis derived from growing on foreign soil with foreign plants (see Goethe, Spengler)

Hindemith

youtube.com/watch?v=s3BRFYc9LOw

It's been over 300 years since anglos have produced any composer of note. You can't expect art to come out of a nation of shopkeepers. Those islands are a literal cancer on the face of Europe.

Little Bach by Hector Town-Wolf
youtube.com/watch?v=r-XGAWjwj-c

This is also very true, a nation of bureaucrats and merchants does not good art make. This tendency also destroyed french music (following the revolution, really one of the bourgeoisie merchant) and later on german music (Nazi Germany, really marked the death of aesthetics in general)

Just because those nations did not produce as many classical composers does not mean they were incapable of producing art. Classical music has historically always been a continental european thing.

t. Jew

Is the business of the professional orchestra dying? I think modern orchestra management and snobby musicians are to blame.

Thank you, will look into.

>Is the business of the professional orchestra dying?
It's shrinking. Most successful orchestras live on playing old (XVIII-XIX) music. Snobby, pretentious musicians are definitely part of the equation. There isn't any new music with wide appeal (something that is sophisticated but also enchanting). Modern music is ghettoised. A sandbox of niches. Plus, there's also competition from synths and shit. We're circling the drain at this point.

Also David Monrad Johansen, Johan Svendsen and maybe even Rautavaara.

Look to countries with strong nationalist currents in the 19th and 20th century. Norway and Finland both had this in opposition to Danish and Swedish europeanism.

>There isn't any new music with wide appeal (something that is sophisticated but also enchanting).

Wait a few years and I'll give you that music.

Post what you have right now.

12/10

vaughan williams and frederick delius aswell i think

It's too early to do it. I'll follow the advices of my favourite composers and wait it out until I'll be 100% sure of my craft. I'm already sure that my head is in the right place.

Give me some time and I'll save this philistine world woth music so magnificent, insightful and sophisticated that it will be simply impossible to resist it, wether you are a housewife or a old academic composer.

lol, (I doubt you'll make it.)
I've mentioned this before but I don't really mind the situation all that much. I'm a decadent fellow.

Both mine, for example. Ruins are fun too, be they ruins due to age, or born that way. I'm chronically curious and have a very deep pool to swim in regardless.

Good luck to you though. I really mean it. I hope you don't crash and burn out too hard.

When will it die? Orchestra and classical music in general has been surviving off of the students that try to enter the field. What will happen when students just completely stop studying classical music?

I want to believe

Please save us all from this degenerate ugly hellscape user.

At the rate this is going, within 2 or so generations even the academic life support system will be completely dead. ~50 years? I'm pessimistic but who really knows...

>newshit
I browsed /classical/ in 2013

America's music is in its folk songs

Melville is enough to prove that Americans have a feel for fine art

What book by Baudrillard?

>America's music is in its folk songs

This is what I was trying to say with The american folk music tradition is incredibly dense and excuse me for using this term, diverse.

This is /classical/ not /folk/.

Just responding to the claim that America has "no good composers".

You didn't though.

Just ADDING to the response that america has no good composers then, jesus.

>tfw there is literally NO good american composer
No this is plain wrong, and stop having opinion on subjects you have no idea about and don't care for.

I was really only looking for an excuse to bump the thread. This discussion bores me.

Have some American classical music instead, from modernist Jonny Come Lately #231: youtube.com/watch?v=k8MzNWO57f4 (It's shit, honestly. A bag of old tricks used in uninspired ways.)
And speaking of 231, an old classic: youtube.com/watch?v=ky5N-qc8nXI (I like this quite a lot. It has aged well. Maybe it's the programmatic fastening that's been holding it tight?)

>Hamsun Baudrillard Jung
a nazi and two memers
nice trio
>growing on foreign soil
North American North-East is perhaps the most European-looking part of non-European world

Ok, let's see if we can resuscitate the thread.

>A bag of old tricks used in uninspired ways
This attitude, I admit, is upstream from the current sordid situation. I'm an insatiably curious elitist. It is the case with any musical language I become familiar with: I hunt for exemplary uses of that toolset like a bloodthirsty hound, until I zone in on the makings of a pièce de résistance, a corpus of masterpieces, the projection of the form of beauty onto that language, or whatever it is that you want to call the tip of the pyramid.
And then I lose interest and look for some other virgin patch of forest where I can begin the hunt anew. Slash and burn musical agriculture. Why listen to random Baroque composer X when Bach is better than any of them? Why bother writing in the Baroque tradition when it has already reached its finality in his oeuvre? I can't help myself. Most people who are into classical music nowadays fall into two broad categories: rabid gluttons like me (this includes most contemporary composers) and fogeys. Thing is, we're too busy fumbling in the dark, while they're too busy fawning over the past. This is how classical music has been grinding to a halt for several decades.

The way I see it, classical music is dying but it's all part of a natural cycle.

>animeposter posts what might very well be the worst post /classical/ has ever seen
Par for the course.

Xenakis,
Metastaseis: youtube.com/watch?v=IMJPb9qOC_E
Kottos: youtube.com/watch?v=PV7Sj3RRTlw

k

>enter thread
>rampant animeposting
>they have shit taste
>mfw
Graupner (aka the least bog German)
youtu.be/7Ui598mTAAs

Petzold

>tfw want to learn the cello but can't find any cello teachers near me

Even if it's cookie cutter suzuki, I need a strong basis before I learn independent. fuuck

what online resources can I use?

Kahn academy

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
TOOT TOOT TOOT
bambambam bam baaaaa BAM BAM BAAAAAM
TOOOT NINININI BAM BAM
BARABAM BAM
TOOOOOOOT

Look at Wagner. Literal neckbeard, egomaniac nut and all around ugly motherfucker.

That guy had a shit ton of mistresses and wouldn't stop having affairs; how the fuck did he find a woman willing to bang him?

funny man

>strong jaw
>high projecting zygos
>prominent brow ridge
>wide and long nose
>deep set nasal rose
>large skull volume
>probably had a large body frame too
He has several characteristics which makes him very reproductively fit. Add being a famous artist and public figure on top of that and slaying becomes easy as hell.

t. elliot rodger

Whatever floats you boat friend.

Saint-Saëns, Organ Symphony: youtube.com/watch?v=u8B3Xgl9A9U

Let's look at an actual photo instead

>Weak as fuck jaw with double chins
>Inferior eyebrows
>Brick looking nose
>Top of his head was weirdly wide compared to his jaw
>Was only 1.66m tall

>why do succesful alpha males get to fuck women and i don't waaaaaah

>Assuming I was bitching about not getting sex

>implying that's a radical assumption to make considering your posts

He doesn't have a weak jaw though. He's just old and saggy. A bulldog esque fighters nose like his is highly dimorphic and thus attractive, he still has wide projecting zygos and a strong brow, also has positive canthal tilt. Large skull volume is also a good thing, not a bad thing.

Despite the fact that he was short, I bet he had a very robust and large frame. Also noticing in this photo that he has a projecting maxilla and short philtrum, which combined with his projecting zygos and wide jaw gives him a higher than average facial width.

The problem is that we're used to seeing him as an old man, but the fact is that he is a very robust, highly dimorphic and well-developed individual and there's no doubt he would be very attractive, especially as a younger man.

Some people live outside the R9K paranoia sphere, I'm one of them

I'm also gay as fuck

Liszt is a fucking sex bomb, just like everyone says, but I just couldn't understand why anyone would fuck Wagner

Graun
youtube.com/watch?v=TGohwCKgG8A

> I just couldn't understand why anyone would fuck Wagner
Yes, because you're a fucking faggot.

Listen user, I know how to appreciate the beauty of the male body

Shockingly enough, women have different taste than faggots, mainly because their attraction is rooted in hundreds of thousands of years of evolution and not mental illness like yours.

>but I just couldn't understand why anyone would fuck Wagner

Women and fags see different things in men, I guess.

Listen, faggot, for women sexual attraction is not entirely visual as is the case with men (including mentally disabled men like you).

>white-knighting
>homophobic
somehow these seemingly two incompatable traits are present in this one little post

oy vey homophobia

Locateli
youtube.com/watch?v=ZUtEUrOB_J4
Pine is underrated af desu