/swg/ - songwriting general

post lyrics, melodies, drafts, snippets, finished songs; whatever you might want feedback on

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r12xRZ-dYxg
vocaroo.com/i/s0whLYYvld6E
vocaroo.com/i/s1h5o0Ei0pr3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

stupid question but how do i start forcing myself to write shitty songs

youtube.com/watch?v=r12xRZ-dYxg

I tried and it didn't work

do you have any experience writing or creating anything artistic?

R8 these radiohead lyrics I just wrote I can post melody if you want that extra authenticity

Stand with me
I'm alone, on the
Shore, waiting for
You
Gallery in the
North with the
pictures of our
Youth
Sift with me through the
Symbols we
neglected over the
Years
Flattery's just a
Ghost when all it
Does is strengthen your
Fears

Signals
Out through the night
We ran
We're Running
Cold wind
Over my spine
We Kissed
We're living it over again

outside of the odd thing here and there not really

I struggle to motivate myself to do it because most of what I write is pretty crap right now, but I know it's never going to improve if i don't do it

yeah, if i had to give advice just take like 15 minutes out of every day and just get something down or out there. It's gonna suck, and depending on your natural talent level it might suck for a long time, but it will improve over time.

So even if what you shit out every night is "girl you got me feeling sad/oh yeah i want you bad/i'm alone without a clue/cuz im so hung up on you" or a wordless dumb melody or whatever, the more you get out there the better sense you have for what's good/bad, the better you'll naturally get at feeling out structure, etc.

So yea, just sit down for some amount of time every day and get something concrete done. but make it about the time and not the product and it'll get easier to do shit

im working on this bridge but idk if im happy with it yet

lie if you would, honey
act like a lady
look at me now
stitched my heart, now its fraying
honor makes good
and it might entertain me but
sin's sincere
so be honest with me baby

i posted an exerpt from a song I was writing and some cunt stole it. the worst part is he played it poorly

what the fuck? that's fucked up man, that's never happened to me. I do keep shit archived elsewhere or anything remotely finished on a youtube or bandcamp account though just in case.

Elaborate, did he like post it in the bandcamp general or something? What a fucking cunt, I'm kind of scared to post my shit because of people like that.

>be me
>find similar thread
>post "hey what do you guys think of this song I've been working on it goes like this"
>verse 1: (chord) lyrics.... (chord) lyrics......
>chorus: (chord) lyrics..... (chord) lyrics.....etcetc
>my post gets slept on
>another guy uploads MY FUCKING SONG to his bandcamp page a few hours later
I was pretty mad because that was one of my better songs

Just sharing with you something I've been working on for the past few days. Sorry for the shitty MIDI quality, I can't record myself for now. It's supposed to be two bass playing together.

vocaroo.com/i/s0whLYYvld6E

If the final product is gonna be this sparse, I'd recommend keeping it a lot simpler, or articulating some of the chordal structures more neatly. Some of the more dissonant or interesting moments get kind of lost because it's hard to tell what chord or sound you're going for.

name and shame then

Yeah, I have the same feeling as your when listening to the MIDI record but when I play it, each parts are more distinct from each other, it's supposed to be one octave down and played on specific strings to be sur each part sound differently.
Is it really necessary to define a specific "chordal structure" though ? I'm genuinely curious. To be honest, I didn't think about it when doing it, my goal was just to write two voices that complete each other and see how it goes.

Yeah, I'm sure the MIDI isn't doing you any favors, so I know it sounds better with real instruments. The chordal structure comment wasn't meant to be that technical, I just meant that there are parts where the listener will have a hard time naturally settling on what chord the melody is a part of. You don't even need to know theory to be able to do it, but just as an example, if I'm in C major, and i have a melody go from like C to Gsharp, if there aren't other notes or elements to give the listener an idea of what chord you're resolving to (e major or a flat major probably in this case) it'll just sound "off" to people.

Basically I think there are parts where the two voices don't complete each other adequately

Want to use this as part of an improvised record called The Radio Song
>vocaroo.com/i/s1h5o0Ei0pr3

yeah, i'm having trouble because i hate hearing my shitty voice ( i sound like a dying cat)

Go to an open mic. I used to hate my voice but the more I tried using it, the more people complimented me.

so just get used to my voice and see where it goes from there??

also
how i stop sounding monotone when i sing?

Look to people like Chance The Rapper who just play with their voices a lot. Some of it may be gimmicky but it shows a lot of confidence. Then just try singing, everything, find where you feel most comfortable.

I'll work on that then. Thanks for sharing your opinion !

Yeah, not only will you overcome your probably not-so-accurate perspective on your own voice, your singing will improve the more you do it. I used to haaaate my voice, but other people would still tell me they liked it. After dedicating myself to just singing more, even just to myself or whatever, I've both grown more comfortable with my voice and improved a lot of its objective quality. It helped literally just trying to sing along perfectly to songs I like in the car, and from there I grew more comfortable with less and less masking my voice.

Very scatterbrained but whatever
The unreal has me hooked and its reeling
The shitty feeling knowing that ill always be me
Turn up my anxiety times ten and my chest is tight being crushed by a titan tell the truth im fucking frightened no fight left in my hands hell barely stand stumbling syllables stanza hope that some of it lands let her small talk be my command set to seduce instead i seclude sulk away
With no plan to return or endure cause i cant ampersand and some liquor out the can build walls all you want we just come through and ram

This ones decent
These tidal waves in my stomach
Are you proud now that youve done it
Im letting dark matter in where it dont belong the stains soil stars and suns
if what comes around goes further when it comes back it craves blood
this systems failing everyone lets change the image, cover up
im hiding under my bed why dont you come and bring him, love
its time to check my watch again and walk into the path of the next bus
i hope my words dont get twisted to give someone hope, dont end it yet my hearts restless
ive been suspicious since the stillborn slipped, the bullet missed us by mere inches
lets hear what liars have to say, lets hear it for the walls confine us
im real happy in my cell, just enough freedom to not ask questions

Is this spoken word/rap?