ONE of the best loved characters in the Star Trek universe has been revealed to be gay

>ONE of the best loved characters in the Star Trek universe has been revealed to be gay.

>Helmsman of the USS Enterprise, Hikaru Sulu, played by John Cho, is shown in Star Trek Beyond as the loving father of a daughter with a same sex partner. And in typical trailblazing Trek fashion — it’s just not a big deal.

>John Cho plays Sulu, “I liked the approach, which was not to make a big thing out it, which is where I hope we are going as a species, to not politicise one’s personal orientations,” said Cho.

Other urls found in this thread:

hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-reacts-gay-sulu-909154
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah, what next, treating women and blacks as equals.

why is there a dirt bike on a star trek movie poster

Because the movie needed to be bit more fast and fierce, no, furious.

I never got this
who the fuck OK'd this concept for a fucking star trek movie?
at what point was everyone sitting down and thought in unison "Sure, a dirt bike makes sense in a movie about fucking space exploration"

Simon Pegg

>John Cho plays Sulu, “I liked the approach, which was not to make a big thing out it"

I hope more movies does this, I hate movies where characters have a monologue about how they're gay and that's ok.

The original Sulu was so gay if he were on a children's TV show it'd be Faggle Rock.

>I never got this
>who the fuck OK'd this concept for a fucking Alien movie?
>at what point was everyone sitting down and thought in unison "Sure, an axe makes sense in a movie about fucking space exploration"

This makes sense, if any Star Trek character was to be gay it would be Sulu.

Still not going to see it since I disliked the previous reboot movies, but I don't see how anyone could be upset by this move.

inb4 triggered Sup Forumstards

There is literally nothing wrong with this. Takei is homo as fuck and imbued the character with all of those mannerisms, Sulu has never explicitly been shown to be straight in anything canon (as if it matters in this alt universe) and this is the EXACT type of shit that Trek has always been built on. TOS would have probably been filled him homos if it was possible at the time with standards and practices.

better be some shirtless fencing

This doesn't feel like a pandering quota or trying to score good boy points or teaching the plebs about tolerance. Just a homage to the original actor.

A genuine case of "amongst these people, this one happened to be gay" which feels as real as real life's group.

This isn't on the same level as blacked out characters or some new genderfluid teaching moment of the week.

>"Sure, a dirt bike makes sense in a movie about fucking space exploration"

Why not? They had ATVs in Insurrection.

>There is literally nothing wrong with this.

Okay.

So your response to my argument is greentexting the opening sentence and posting an image that triggers you?

Seems right in line with Trek desu. It's always been diversity in space.

This feels more like a homage to the original actor than a SJW nod. There are better things to get your Sup Forumscuck asses triggered at

But user, I'm agreeing with you!

I'm not your enemy!

pedophilia is not the problem ,,yadda yadda

they'd have a cure for this shit already if people weren't embracing it like its normal biology. it's like embracing down syndrome people as if that's normal and doesn't require a cure.

look how proud that white woman is at that adult man kissing his adopted son on the lips

I wonder how she'd feel if an adult man kissed his adopted daughter like that?

I wonder how long that "innocent" kiss lasted.

You really should just kill yourself

Reported for Anti-Semitic remarks.

Anonymity is no reason for prejudice.

you mad.

truth hurts.

>And in typical trailblazing Trek fashion — it’s just not a big deal.
If that's REALLY the approach they're taking, I'm fine with that. I suppose most people always viewed Sulu as gay anyway.

True. There are two charakters im Trek that legitimately be portrayed as gay without a trace of SJWdom. One is Sulu. The other would be DS9's Garak.

Why do they insist on him being loved?

>McCoy not even on the poster
>McCoy will never be relevant again

Because no one would HATE the character.

>He isn't on the poster but Simon 'R.e.d.d.i.t.' Pegg is

List of things that a motorcycle is bigger than on this Star Trek poster:

>the Enterprise
>Spock
>Scotty
>Bones (who makes no appearance)

>mediocre jungle on the poster

It's gonna suck

That's was fucking stupid too.

get over it
I'm surprised Star Trek doesn't have 26 gay characters by now.

I hate /asianmasculinity/ hates this

>What do you mean my dad's gay?

Who fucking cares? Where's bootleg footage?!

Degeneracy

Sulu can't be gay
otherwise he wouldn't want to bone Lt. M'Ress

Just watch the trailers, they tell you the entire plot of the movie, as another user kindly wrote it up for those of us who also won't see it:

>Nobody will see it because we know the entire plot from the trailers released. Literally between the three we have the whole movie.

>>Initial wacky mission
>>Kirk has a drink with McCoy about daddy issues
>>They visit the Yorktown space colony
>>Get sent out on a mission to investigate a starship disappearance
>>Encounter the Swarm, which immediately attacks and shreds the Enterprise
>>Crew evacuates, Enterprise saucer seps and crashes on the nearby planet, Altamid, which is a Bermuda's Triangle of lost ships
>>Crew is split up, majority is captured by the Swarm, which also imprisons everyone else who's crashed there
>>Makeup commercial Alien has been a prisoner on Altamid all her life
>>Crew finds the USS Franklin, a NX-era ish ship that crashed on Altamid but is flyable. Spend the movie fixing it and rescuing the crew from the Swarm.
>>Eventually they learn the Swarm is going on the offensive and will strike Yorktown
>>A fixed Franklin is launched from Altamid, destroying the Swarm guarding the planet somehow
>>Action finale with gravity flipping antics on the Yorktown
>>Kirk saves the day and Ent-A is commissioned for further adventures.

>Fuck it, if three trailers can tell you that much then why the fuck should we see it.

>>Kirk saves the day and Ent-A is commissioned for further adventures.

So what does the Ent-A look like?

The axes are for breaking shit when the electronics have failed.

GASP!
George Takei must be rolling in his grave!!

I'm pretty sure trek would have artificial wombs.

It might have the angular nacelles from the classic movie enterprise?

Quips

This is probably going to the literally most Rodenberry-like idea in Abramverse. ST was always about a super progressive utopia, I like this idea.

Pretty much this. Like if it was anyone BUT Sulu, this would shock me.

Oh my~

Whats hilarious is comments on certain progressive blogs are saying "OMG, THE Sup Forums HATER NERDS BLOWN OUT AGAIN, THE'LL BE CRYING THAT WE TURNED YET ANOTHER ONE OF THEIR PRECIOUS STRAIGHT MEN GAY BLOO BLOO, SOCIAL JUSTICE 4 LYFE"

I've not seen a single person butthurt about it, plus everyone loves takei

I've been rewatching TOS, and while you couldn't really tell if Suku was gay, it sorta came across from the acting that Takei probably was, even though that was decades before he came out. It's just one of those "am I crazy, or is he gay?" moments where even in a vacuum of never hearing about Takei being gay, you'd notice.

If Gene was still alive and he told you Sulu in TOS was gay, you wouldn't go "you SJW-pandering faggot", you'd just say, "...yeah that sounds about right"

Gene isn't the hero of /trek/ you redditors think he is, Gene was a retarded penny pincher and all the best episodes were the ones he was forcibly held back or too dead to interfere with.

Gene had a great vision, but i heard he was a pretty shitty person.

okay but where does the dirt bike fit in

No I'm aware. He did everything basically for money and pussy, and he had a serious problem with "only *I* know what's best for Star Trek!", but it doesn't change that without him we wouldn't have ST.

this isnt a fan poster? it looks even worse than the suicide squad one. all 1 motion blur and that fucking dirtbike

That LITERALLY says that Sulu's daughter is gay. Anyone who watched TOS knows that Sulu is canon 100% hetero. John Cho has NOT confirmed that his character is gay. His out of context quote refers to Sulu's gay daughter. I fucking hate Australians.

A tech manual page seems to show that the Franklin captain or crew or whatever had some affinity for old vintage shit. The dirt bike is from the Franklin, and I guess they play old music like Sabotage on the bridge too.

The dirt bike becomes a quick way for Kirk & Jaylah to get around given everything that was on the Enterprise is basically fucked up. There's a chase sequence where Kirk uses Jaylah's holographic fake-out equipment to make it look like there's several of him, to confuse the enemies.

I wish the marketing followed the same principle

Jesus fuck, it's probably his son. Who gives a shit?

Literally nobody even remembers anything about Sulu except his actor and the fencing scene from like three episodes in.

You kiss your dad on the lips?

An axe is a tool, and a useful one at that in case of ever needing to break through something, or chop something. Why did they have a dirtbike on the enterprise? At least I'm assuming thats where they get it. Prometheus was shit, but not because of an axe.

It's from the Franklin, the derelict 100 year old Warp 4 ship they find on the planet.

>Gaggle Cock

Ftfy

George takei, the original sulu was openly gay since forever, and was somewhat of a hero for the LGBT community. Despite sulu always coming across as gay as fuck, they never outright said it.

I think finally cementing sulu as gay is fine, it's not like kirk or Spock is gay.

GAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY

Sulu was 100% straight but he had so little personality that Takei's mannerisms are the only thing people remember. And the one episode where he didn't wear a shirt.

I'm honestly more offended by the idea of him being a parent in a committed relationship. Sulu seems like he'd be tapping a new cadet every day of the week.

THE JEWS FEAR THE SAMURAI

Apparently it's a similar Constitution design but slightly darker?

Ironically enough, George Takei is against this...

>i loved our approach, which was to not make a big deal about it, which is why we're publicizing this little factoid

That said, rip Anton, I loved your face, and you were an hero in Green Room.

>George takei, the original sulu was openly gay since forever, and was somewhat of a hero for the LGBT community.
>I think finally cementing sulu as gay is fine, it's not like kirk or Spock is gay.

This. It's a nice homage to Takei and Starfleet is meant to be progressive/inclusive as fuck, which they haven't explored much in these movies. Nor will they, the gay relationship will be barely noticeable so they can generate clickbait articles without freaking out an increasingly retarded viewerbase.

Okay, this is hilarious.

It's pretty common outside the U.S.

The picture is from New York.

>"We're normal people just like you, w-we just have different preferences!"
>proceeds to lavishly show off their differences by waving rainbow flags around and making out with each other in public parades

Gay pride is so fucking stupid.

>A tech manual page seems to show that the Franklin captain or crew or whatever had some affinity for old vintage shit.

Oh shit, they did this in I Robot. Prepare yourselves for batshit amounts of product placement.

But in the original timeline/universe he had a family and Daughter! Did Spock going back alter things that much?

When the original show did something progressive, they didn't make a big deal out of it, because that was part of the show and lore; for everyone in the federation to be treated equally. This just feels like lazy pandering to appease the politically correct.

Well it made young Spock into a coalburner

I kind of get his point. You can take it two ways - making Sulu gay means that his Prime counterpart played by Takei was either gay the whole time and nobody made a big deal out of it, or he was closeted and never spoke about it.

Given that Takei was closeted and felt unable to come out for decades, he's obviously taking it as the latter consequence, which has unfortunate repercussions. Creating a new gay character where it's treated as no big deal may have been a better option.

>When the original show did something progressive, they didn't make a big deal out of it, because that was part of the show and lore; for everyone in the federation to be treated equally.

I was watching Star Trek the other day and I swear to god a 6'2'', ripped, Starfleet office walked down past the main cast in a miniskirt. No-one gave a fuck.

>“I liked the approach, which was not to make a big thing out it, which is where I hope we are going as a species, to not politicise one’s personal orientations,” said Cho.

As he's quoted in a fucking gossip rag, republished across 50 more websites and probably quoted by the mainstream TV news.

>Creating a new gay character where it's treated as no big deal may have been a better option.

The movies have been hammering home the main cast's heterosexuality in a pretty insecure way. The same-sex relationship will be more an easter egg than a plot point, I think.

>82 posts
>not one mentioning that Takei said he DIDN'T like that they've made Sulu gay

>George Takei Reacts to Gay Sulu News: "I Think It's Really Unfortunate"

Pretty based. He implicitly says that changing an established character simply to be different sexually or racially is artistically hacky.

How is that ironic?

because 99% of this thread is SJWs trumpeting how brave and awesome and progressive it is that two guys decades later decided to make the character gay just because the actor was, when Takei points out that it's just stupid and there was no intent by the actor or director for him to be gay.

>Creating a new gay character where it's treated as no big deal may have been a better option.

This. Hollywood is intellectually dishonest because they don't believe in their own ability to come up with good, original gay or minority characters so they just change existing straight/white ones that already have cache.

Jesus christ what a shitlord

is that you in pic?

>go to the other fucking side of the known universe without basic tools that require no technical skills, power and would take 1/9999999999 of your space because you just gotta look sciency.

Trips speak the truth

young cock

>you wouldn't for Uhura

I had such a crush on Nichelle Nichols as a kid.

Rachel Nichols maybe

Is this Peter David's? This feels like classic Peter David degeneracy propaganda.