Why do Americans support solitary confinement?

Why do Americans support solitary confinement?

I thought the founding fathers were against unnecessary cruel punishments.

What's cruel or unusual about it, Dummkopf?

I'd choose it over being bullied and raped by other inmates.

Solitary is punishment for inmates. Inmate tries to destroy prison camera? Here's your special room.

It's fine.

you get crazy over time due to social isolation and lack of stimulus

i thought torture was not allowed in america

and many inmates are in solitary confinement for years

We don't have much choice about what happens to prisoners.

how comes?
arent you a democracy?

We will give them an internet connection that only gets Sup Forums.

Problem solved.

It's not torture. Many of the inmates have solitary literally assault or kill other inmates when they're out.

We have more people in jails than the russians did during their commie years.
Don't ask why, just don't break the law.

What is wrong?
Looks like my life in the last 3 months.

not really

It hasn't been determined to be cruel or unusual by our courts but I believe it can be. It's used because prisons feel as though they need a punishment to prevent inmates from fighting, stabbing, and raping each other. Our whole prison system and criminal code requires reform and abuse of solitary confinement is a symptom of this.

It is suppose to be short term punishment, but gets misused. There is also isolation, but that is to keep a high risk prisoner away from the rest for safety reasons.

And? Are inmates unaware that solitary confinement exist? Are they unaware that if they choose to act out if line, solitary confinement is a punishment they will receive? No; they are adult humans with their god given free will to make their own decisions and the life and liberty to face the consequences.

Bad things will happen to those who do bad things. If we don't want that then why not just make prison a beach house vacation? Considering how much the private prison system could charge tax payers for that I'm sure they wouldn't mind

Agree but things aren't black and white.

There will always be abuses, specially in prisons.

I think most prisoners act on their impulses and are not very good at thinking ahead.
If they were able to plan properly, they wouldnt be in prison in the first place

True, but the problem there is abuse. Taking away solitary confinement won't fix that.
So the best course of action to act like choices do not have consequences? Is that supposed to help them think less impulsively?

>Tfw no hikokomori confinement cell with a pc and internet

the best course of action is to socialize them and teach them proper human behaviour
what do you think will happen if you release a violent criminal after 10 years of solitary confinement?

>Taking away solitary confinement won't fix that.
Nope, but the problem still exists. Thinking it does not makes it impossible to fix.

But it is america, no one gives a fuck about inmates, specially when the ones there are blacks so gives a fuck.

10 years of solitary is obvious abuse, and as I stated previously in that situation abuse is the problem, no solitary. Unless of course the offender consistently took action to get into solitary, at which point he might as well stay there until he dies

if the guy can shank a fellow inmate for being in a different gang he can survive a few days alone

Yeah, but if solitary isn't the problem taking actions against solitary wont fix it. And you're right, I care about the welfare of inmates much much less than I care about the welfare of my fellow law abiding countrymen; there's no reason for me to

If you can convince them to do it that's fine then.

can someone actually survive 10 years alone sitting in the dark?

basically they'll live like us, not that bad imho

True neets, getting autism bucks to live in a small cramped place that only gets Sup Forums.

Detainment is cruel and dehumanizing by itself, solitary confinement is another league of its own. I don't care what you think about it but these people end up getting released back to society even more fucked in the head.

I'm not making suggestions but the current US prison system is disgusting and exacerbating.