What's stopping me from launching myself into orbit?

what's stopping me from launching myself into orbit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Am7EwmxBAW8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Gravity and costs.

Gravity

u srs

reality

Lack of a delivery vehicle with adequate thrust and guidance systems.

I'm doing it

funding

/thread

false how the fuck is OP, a faggot on 4chin, going to pay for "a delivery vehicle with adequate-" nerd nerd I'm-a-literal-faggot-please-fuck-my-neck- bullshit

I'll show you adequate thrust you fucking fag

You dont got a big enough slingshot

assume i have the costs

maybe launch myself to the moon and splat?

The amount of fuel it would cost to send a 400lb faggot into orbit with the necessary supplies to sustain said faggot would overwhelm the sponsoring companies funds. It cannot be done. No amount of hentai and Cheetos it the could be attained

how efficient are rocket engines?

is there a law that states the theoretical max a system can be?

Kerosine faggot.

>assume i have the costs

your level of education says to me you don't have "the costs"

depends on what kind of rocket you're talking about
all chemical rockets are ultimately limited by the amount of chemical energy contained in the fuel though

Getting into a stable orbit is very difficult. You need to be going 17,000 mph in horizontal velocity for low Earth orbit. That's in addition to getting high enough to get above the atmosphere.

Most people think that you simply achieve orbit by going straight up. Even if you go straight up all the way into space you will just fall right back down again unless you get going a minimum of 17,000 mph in a horizontal direction.

that was my next question lol, because i've played kerbal

do you have to continuously give yourself horizontal velocity? you can't get up there with enough v and stay?

Not enough arm strength to hold on

Orbits decay over long periods of time. The international space station has to do a small burn every few weeks to maintain velocity. It is actually skimming along the extremely thin upper atmosphere.

In kerbal space program there is a magic line at about 70,000 meters where air resistance just stops. In real life there is no magic point where there is zero gas until you get very far away from Earth.

The international space station would slow down and fall into the atmosphere in a few months if they didn't do small burns to keep it up there.

sweet thanks bro. are you in the industry or something or enthusiast?

In low orbit, atmospheric drag will eventually slow you down. The ISS for example requires regular boosts too keep it from de-orbiting.

In higher orbits like a geostationary orbit, drag is virtually non-existent, but you'll still be affected by perturbation (gravity from the moon, planets, etc) which will eventually destabilize your orbit.

gravity

as he said that number changes too
gravity around the planet changes
the calculation for it has to have enough outward momentum to counteract the amount of gravity you have to overcome

it really is a finely tuned balance specific to that payload
too litle and you fall to earth
too much and you fuck off into space
some satelites and the ISS have to maintain it with thrusters for adjustments

most of the time once its up there its considered done you just hope you got it right and it'l be there for as long as possible

its not like its fuckin rocket science

youtube.com/watch?v=Am7EwmxBAW8

Just a huge space nerd. I also play Kerbal. I've been reading books about space flight since I was a little kid.

.gov

>too much and you fuck off into space

It would be very difficult to accidentally achieve escape velocity and leave Earth orbit. It's hard enough just to get to the Moon and that is still inside Earth's gravitational field. There is no way you would accidentally shoot past the Moon.